Poll: Do you think Skyrim has to much hype?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Mapper said:
Heimir said:
Doesn't seem to have half of the hype that Oblivion had. So not really, no.
yes and look how that game turned out

blaqknoise said:
Nah, I don't think so.

It looks like it's going to be really good. I'm pretty sure it can live up to the hype.
people said that with oblivion and lost were Underwhelmed
Yet it won several GOTY awards and currently holds 94% on Metacritic. Yep that's my definition of underwhelmed too.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Much as I think of the Elder Scrolls series as generic Tolkien-esque fantasy series #16874649... I don't think the hype has gotten out of hand. A lot of people absolutely love the series, but none of 'em has ever tried to figuratively shove it down my throat.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Extreme amounts of hype have never helped a game. Especially with Bethesda, it seems like you can flip a coin and that will decide the quality of their games.

While I think Skyrim looks really fun, I seriously doubt it will be anything revolutionary.

I keep on trying to make myself like it, but Oblivion frankly, wasn't that fun. (In my opinion before you try to kill me.) If it's built off of that core instead of Morrowind (which I honestly found more fun and engaging) I don't think it has any more potential than being a fun game. But a fun game is something I'd still buy.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Yes, It's looking good but I'm trying to keep my excitement down. Oblivion was good but the hype promised too much from it and in the end I was disappointed. If I don't keep my expectations down I'm afraid that Skyrim might end up the same.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
It's 90 motherfucking US dollars, so any hype I had went down the drain faster than I could load up Morrowind.

(which i actually did shortly after, for the record. morrowind's fucking amazing)

MetallicaRulez0 said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I am not a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and am tired as hell of hearing about it
Took the words out of my mouth. Every video I've seen of this game looks bland and ordinary. Someone convince me this game is going to be better than the rest of Bethesda's awful catalog.
And this my friends, is the result of what happens to the poor people who didn't play Morrowind.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
there is no such thing as too much hype. it sounds just downright petty and bitter to get annoyed by someone else's excitement.

also mass effect 3 is way overhyped.

Yay hypocrisy!

anyhoo, i think it looks rad and am hyped up. hype is a good thing. even if the game is bad, the first few days of playing will still be gleeful. for me, it is after i've played my fill that i stop to actually look at the game to see it as good or bad.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
Oblivion was what you made of it. So if you get into it, it CAN be the best game ever. But strip all that away and Oblivion was mediocre at best. Skyrim will probably fix that, so yes and no. IT deserves the hype because it's an improved Oblivion, but no because it will probably follow the same path.

The Mapper

Feb 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
The Mapper said:
Heimir said:

blaqknoise said:
Nah, I don't think so.

It looks like it's going to be really good. I'm pretty sure it can live up to the hype.
Yet it won several GOTY awards and currently holds 94% on Metacritic. Yep that's my definition of underwhelmed too.
arr I see someone with a avatar form the game has jumped to its defence... (metacritic score doesn?t mean anything because only fans of the game tended get of their asses to vote and unless there is a huge outcry most score very highly)

but i would like to clear up the confusion i may have coursed. I?m not against oblivion per say I have levelled 3 players to lvl 50 it just promise to be the holy grail of gaming and i think it failed badly.
but i list best sums up my points

Enemies lvl up with you wile a great idea that keeps the game challenging often quests to save people became imposable on any real difficulty as a room with 3 rats were now 3 savage troll trolls that 2 hit the man you were meant to save. The lvl enemies also meant that there was no real feeling of you character growing in power
the game although not as buggy as other Bethesda games it still had a large amount of flaws this mainly to do with Bethesdas inability to bata test a well known flaw of theirs XD
The copy and paste attitude to dungeons the quest related ones were nice and varied but almost all of the others have very obvious set pieces that after about 5 or 6 you know you way around any dungeons without needed to even go in.
the promise of great living towns but ended up with to people talking in the same voice about how they love to shop at a shop that is owned by them. i know this one primarily was a technical limitation but is a great example of Bethesda Softworks talking out of there ass
the graphics were poor even at the time it came out but really that a small flaw.
Melee late game became a case of hold block and then power attack block and then power attack.... do this 10 or so times and then kill the next guy.

so yer those are reasons that I and many people founded Oblivion underling there are turns of other peoples rants out there if you want to look for them. people like this
Radeonx said:
Yes. It looks like a slightly better version of Oblivion, which, quite frankly, was mediocre at best.
these are the points that spring to my mind when I think of the game.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Well, it'd just be something else getting hyped up anyway. At least now there's hype about a game that's actually going to happen.

Insomniaku

Jan 31, 2009
honeslty I think any hype is usually too much hype for anything, I try to think of it in terms of looking forward to something or not and to what extent I do that... I'm sure I'll play it, I'm sure it'll be fun, I'm also fairly sure it'll be buggy as hell and I'll have issues with it like most any games (and I'm sure there will be issues I have with it and fun I have with it that are Bethesda traits)

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I think so, especially around here. I never played Oblivion, but the last game that got this much hype was Mass Effect 2, and I was disappointed by that too.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
No. Oblivion was amazing, but obviously not everyone's cup o' tea, so to speak.

The level of detail that Bethesda creates in its worlds is like no other that I have ever seen. Ultimately, I'll be playing this because I expect that it will be a fun world to be in, that is, the Country of Skyrim.

People aren't really going any crazier than the hype for Oblivion, so it's really not that big of an issue.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
zehydra said:
No. Oblivion was amazing, but obviously not everyone's cup o' tea, so to speak.

The level of detail that Bethesda creates in its worlds is like no other that I have ever seen. Ultimately, I'll be playing this because I expect that it will be a fun world to be in, that is, the Country of Skyrim.
It's just a shame they don't put as much detail in their stories, characters or RPG elements, because those aspects made Oblivion a bad experience for me. I hope they fix these issues in Skyrim, because from all the information I've gathered so far, this game is going to end up more like Oblivion v2 than it is Morrowind v2.

Plus I thought Morrowind had better exploring anyway considering that most dungeons were actually unique instead of the copy-paste dungeons we had in Oblivion. The only problem with Morrowind exploration was fatigue and cliff racers.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
*shrug*

Does it matter?

Although I am kinda dreading the flood of forum threads. "OMG! Favourite spell in Skyrim?"

Heh. I guess I'll finally know what it's like to be someone on the Escapist who doesn't like Mass Effect.
It's not fun, I can tell you. I swear I've heard gasps through my monitor when I've told people I didn't care for it.

I do, however, love TES and am super stoked for Skyrim.

NO HYPE IS TOO MUCH FOR SKYRIM.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
No.. I don't.. I have yet to play a bad Elder Scrolls game. This is looking to be just as good as previous games..

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Mapper said:
Wakikifudge said:
The Mapper said:
Heimir said:

blaqknoise said:
Nah, I don't think so.

arr I see someone with a avatar form the game has jumped to its defence... (metacritic score doesn?t mean anything because only fans of the game tended get of their asses to vote and unless there is a huge outcry most score very highly)

but i would like to clear up the confusion i may have coursed. I?m not against oblivion per say I have levelled 3 players to lvl 50 it just promise to be the holy grail of gaming and i think it failed badly.
but i list best sums up my points

Enemies lvl up with you wile a great idea that keeps the game challenging often quests to save people became imposable on any real difficulty as a room with 3 rats were now 3 savage troll trolls that 2 hit the man you were meant to save. The lvl enemies also meant that there was no real feeling of you character growing in power
the game although not as buggy as other Bethesda games it still had a large amount of flaws this mainly to do with Bethesdas inability to bata test a well known flaw of theirs XD
The copy and paste attitude to dungeons the quest related ones were nice and varied but almost all of the others have very obvious set pieces that after about 5 or 6 you know you way around any dungeons without needed to even go in.
the promise of great living towns but ended up with to people talking in the same voice about how they love to shop at a shop that is owned by them. i know this one primarily was a technical limitation but is a great example of Bethesda Softworks talking out of there ass
the graphics were poor even at the time it came out but really that a small flaw.
Melee late game became a case of hold block and then power attack block and then power attack.... do this 10 or so times and then kill the next guy.

so yer those are reasons that I and many people founded Oblivion underling there are turns of other peoples rants out there if you want to look for them. people like this
Radeonx said:
Yes. It looks like a slightly better version of Oblivion, which, quite frankly, was mediocre at best.
these are the points that spring to my mind when I think of the game.
I do agree with all of your points but none of these really detracted from the game for me. For me it was all about the sheer vastness of the world and the tons of things to do. That's what it is for most huge fans of the series. Also, Skyrim has promised to address each of these points, especially the copy and paste dungeon one. Each dungeon will feel unique because they have 8 people on dungeon design instead of just one. So I do agree with all of your points and I will definitely admit there are more polished games out there but still to this day, I regularly pick up and play Oblivion at least twice a month.
Also, not trying to be combative here, but if you really have 3 level 50 characters, wouldn't you realize that my avatar is found nowhere in the game?
He's the Witch King of Angmar from the Lord of the Rings. That's him from the third movie.
Also, did you like the leveling system in Fallout 3? Cause that's the one they are using for Skyrim. I thought it was a huge improvement over the leveled AI of Oblivion.

Metropocalypse

Aug 22, 2009
Skyrim doesn't have to much anything!

I apologise, that was rude (assuming any of you will understand that).

I don't get people that complain about hype....that's all it is... hype. The people complaining about it do more harm. Make love not war, people!

Also, whatever complaints people have about Oblivion - It's buggy, the story is rubbish, the map is repetitive, the people are scary, the graphics are shoddy, the levelling sucks, the combat is messy.... fine... I made those same complaints too. But to be honest, I, and A LOT of people who played Oblivion enjoyed the hell out of it regardless of any problem (if you can call them that). Yes, all those issues are true, but there is just something about Oblivion, AND Morrowind. And the people looking forward to Skyrim (which nobody should be getting in the way of) know that they'll have an equally fun time.

Oh, and I do believe Skyrim is more than Oblivion with better graphics. The improvements are more on the scale of... say, the jump from Assassins' Creed to Assassins' Creed II.