Poll: Does everybody wish they were not alive?

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
NOPE
I'm an optimist when it comes to life, you always rise above your problems, or try your best to, I've met a lot of people who are down on life, and I pity them, I don't see the point of just being sad and in pain and miserable about living, when there is so much to enjoy.
I see a lot of people on the internet who are just sad and angry all the time, at random things,at home, at life, I think it may be because internet is a way of escaping that.

either way, I love life, we all get our downtimes, depressions and whatnot when bad things happen to us or the ones we love, I still haven't gotten over my deceased dog whom I loved more than most things, but I try my best to push through, and when you see past the hate, wars, murders, drug abuse, family issues that resides in the world today, it's the most beautiful thing.

I'm probably sounding like I'm a hippie or just stoned or something but I truly feel this way about all life in general, just live your life and appreciate the great things and you'll do fine.

if you're talking about being a zombie, then I can understand, lol

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
Leave school out of life, everyone knows it's worthless because everyone has been there

The market dictates that scarcity is valuable

Captcha: black and white

Aug 25, 2009
Hard one to answer. When I have depressive episodes (bipolar for the win) I can sometimes be literally suicidal. However, when I have a manic period (see above parenthesis) I can feel like the most awesome human being on the planet, so why should I die?

Most of the time I try and stay positive, because part of being depressive is knowing that you can think yourself sad really easily. Focusing on something depressing can utterly crash you if you let it, so I don't let it.

|Sith|Eldarion

Nov 14, 2011
I can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind from time to time, particularly this year with the particularly nasty bugs I've gotten. Hell, a few years ago, I would've voted yes. But death is a void. Whatever it is for you, it's different from life as we know it. And whether I ended up in heaven, hell, elysium, or nothingness, I would regret not seeing what this life has to offer. And regret is something I don't want when I'm dead and gone.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
I like life. I like my life. I've worked hard to make sure aspects of my life have worked out a certain way, and I've had a fair bit of success. There have been times where I've cursed my luck, but I've never experienced real tragedy in my life, so I'm pretty lucky. Certainly, making love to a beautiful woman, having a great conversation, eating a delicious meal, being trusted and respected by someone you love, all these things are infinitely better than death. Better to enjoy them while you can.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
That feel OP. I would just call it boredom. Back when I was going to college and living with my parents I just felt like a drone. Just going about my daily grind of work, school, girlfriend, videogames. But then I moved out, got a new job and a new girlfriend and don't feel like that anymore.

I'm sure i'll get the feeling again within a year or two but that's just life to me. You get bored and you move on.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
And your choosing to spend your time alive defending calling some poor melancholy fool a whiny emo because he's not some starving brat in south africa... because you are only entitled to feel sad/suicidal if you are poor. Is this part of that "Awesome shiz" that life has to offer?

For fucks sake, 1st world problems are still legitament problems. Take the starving kid out of africa, give him some McDonalds, his problems too will be existential questions like "Why are we here?"
So fuck me for wanting conversation? Even if arguements, conversation change ideas to be more rounded and awesome for the public.

Also, ain't my problem your essentially calling me a prick, in that type of system I would normally call you a prick for assuming I'm a prick, but here I'd rather just explain that the message was not meant towards the OP himself, but to those super-whiny-emo kids you may have met before. If you don't know what I'm talking about, its the type of kids that say they slice their wrists but they don't and their only saying so to be cool in the crowd.

And honestly, is the whole message of "Shut up and notice how awesome the world is" that bad? That was the message since I wrote the first post.

Maybe if you read a bit down you understand more about it, but past this I'm not bothering with you. Mainly because my whole point was to enjoy each and every moment of life because death sucks but you thought I'm a prick for the past two posts and writing a bloody post takes more then a minute with several paragraphs. Oh dear, the four minutes I've wasted typing, or FML me bro./sarcasm Honestly dude, First World Problems isn't here because I'm not having a problem since discussion, no matter how shitty it is, is not a problem.

Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Aprilgold said:
Doesn't that feel way too general to you? I'm happy go lucky, I'm a special breed of vacuous moron that has no fore-though and I almost never judge myself. But, even to me, these assertions feel thoughtless.
Mainly its because I've been there and I hate to see people acting like they have some terrible life when they should focus on the positives of life. If anything all of this is directed to my past self in case the inception happens and I want to tell him something.

Vocally all of this is going to people who are saying their suicidal to get attention, while mentally its more to my past self who did exactly what I dislike.

And honestly, is the whole message of "Shut up and notice how awesome the world is" that bad? That was the message since I wrote the first post.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
Just think I was born to do something that I know will never happen. Of course I am talking about any job that might come straight out of the movies. Even though it sounds messed up, I could be a Hitman. Little goofy to think about, I don't attach feelings to people I don't know. Literally as I have gotten older, I have hated people more and more. After all, society gives you plenty of ammo to hate. Course you have those bullshitters you try to tell you to be happy and there is a reason for that. Of course they want you to be happy because they are happy. You see happiness is like a virus, people want you to catch what they got. Nobody is willing to fork over everything that makes them happy because then they would be sad like you. Then there are the doushbags that see a depression thread and want to call you emo, to which I think, why are you still alive.
Yeah, I've had that thought myself, too. I really don't care that much about people I don't know or have any attachment to. If someone paid me $50,000 to kill somebody in the next state with no paper/internet trail, it seems feasible. I'd never ever kill anybody because he/she "wronged" me, made me mad, or if I thought they were a bad person. I'm not selfish enough to feel entitled to murder somebody for personal reasons and I genuinely don't buy into the concept of "bad people." Not only that, but if you kill someone you know and have a motive to kill, it's a higher probability that you'll get caught and spend life in prison. And most likely, unlike the average hitman, we don't have criminal records that would be able to identify us at the scene via either fingerprints or DNA.

Of course, we've now implicated ourselves in public as possible candidates to be hitmen, so I think we've immediately disqualified ourselves as solid candidates for employment. So no killing people for me. I'll pass. Seems risky anyways - not as easy as the Dark Brotherhood makes it look.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Tenno said:
i know that feel OP, I am in the same boat, got a pretty good life by any standard, but i just don't want to be here, its not about the quality of life or anything like that, you just don't want to exist, its hard for other people to understand these feelings OP, all i am doing is going through the motions waiting for the day i finally die.
On a really messed up, but slightly positive note, we're all going to die anyways whether we're looking forward to it or not. So unlike all the "happy" people on this thread, we're eventually going to get what we want. Actually puts a figurative spring in my step.

Eamar said:
The thing to know is that you absolutely must DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Wallowing in self-pity doesn't solve anything. Not trying to be harsh (well, maybe a little, but not in a mean way), but this shit doesn't go away on its own, at least not for very long. See a doctor, get counselling, try as many of the huge number of medically-approved therapies out there as you can, consider medication if you and your doctor both think that would help. And force yourself to live your life. Talk to your friends, your family, your neighbours. Pursue hobbies, keep up the exercise, look after yourself, do as much work as you can, even if it's only a tiny bit. I know these things can all seem impossible to someone who's depressed, I really do, but you have to keep trying.

Either way, you may not want to hear it (I know I didn't) but it's down to you and you alone to change yourself. Doing nothing is not an option.
I actually have looked into this before. The problem is that I have very limited health insurance, so I'd pretty much have to pay for any "help" out of pocket. In my conversations with the friendly people on the suicide hotline chat thing online, I've gotten a few numbers to call, but it just seems impossible. When I'm feeling good, I don't feel like I'd ever have to call and when I'm feeling bad, I don't want to do anything at all. I didn't really intend this as a depression thread, but considering I spent the first hour of work crying behind some boxes, there may be something to it. I'm fine now and I don't feel like I want to die because I "feel bad." I want to die because I don't like myself, the life I'm living, nor would I want to live anyone else's life. I'm just sick of it.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Oh... sometimes. Sometimes the stress and uncertainty of of life just gets to me and I just wish it would all go away. Sometimes I feel depressed and unhappy and I don't want to get out of bed and it's like I'll never be happy again. But it's not all the time. It gets better, it does for me and will for you too.
I know school can be tough, but it's not forever. Things look bad now but, and you might not believe it, but things will get better for you soon.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
If I wanted to be dead, I'd put my shotgun's muzzle in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes. Given that I've had at least a year to do so, I must want to be alive. Or at least, I don't desire to be dead.

May 17, 2010
I might think it or say it but that's because I'm a drama queen. Never really sincerly thought it.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Fuck to the no.
I'm facing difficult issues, I've got problems, much like many people, but does that mean I wish I wasn't alive? God no.

I used to think like that, but now? Now, if I even entertained that possibility for a second, I would be letting down and betraying so many people.
And besides, life's too short as it is, why spend it being miserable about everything that could possibly be shit, when you could spend it being happy about everything that's good?

Even if the good comes once in a blue moon, it's enough to make me want to hold on to everything I have.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Not in the implied sense, though one can't deny the obvious advantages that stem from not being traditionally "alive".

I mean, you can't kill a dead man, can you? And kids these days, they didn't play Quake! They don't know how to stop something you can't kill!

(Srsly though, if you're finding yourself in a point where you're contemplating suicide, get help. You might think it's best if you just end it all, but it isn't. It never will be.)

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Twenty procent? Good god, either there is a lot of non serious people or things are far worse then they seemed to me
Easy to imagine how certain things transpire now

Now i start to wonder about the legality of having suicidal thoughts

I am in what might quite be the worst situation i have ever been, except for when i changed schools to seventh grade and almost went insane