Poll: Final Fantasy X remake - do YOU hate it?

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
I'll probably have a PS3 by the time that comes out, so I'm looking forward to it! It just bugs me that they're taking that time to do X when VII should be the first Final Fantasy to be updated.
But X doesn't get enough credit sometimes, its a GREAT story of beating-the-system and defying-all-odds. I was very glad to hear of its revival!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, I'd like to re-visit the game.

My choice to buy it will completely depend on the price. $15-20 seems reasonable in my eyes.

The reality is this game was never particularly great. It was among the few PS2 titles I enjoyed but doesn't deserve to be placed on a pedestal.

My own personal problems with the game come from pacing...I recall not getting into it until after the soccer game section some 10 hours in. The game also had a disappointing conclusion which I no longer remember. Still, the overall experience is one I'd like to come back to, and since I don't own a backwards compatible PS3, this is the best way to do that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pseudonyme said:
RJ 17 said:
But let me just say this, above all else, HERE is why FFX was an absolutely shitty game: it is literally impossible to lose against the main boss (Yevon) unless you kill yourself...TWICE!
Yevon is not the main boss. Penance is the main boss. If you can't see the merits behind a story driven battle then I think final fantasy of all things may be a bit much for you.
As to the name thing, you say that as though it changes the fact that it's still impossible to lose to the final boss of the game. As to "story driven battles", ALL boss fights in FF games are story-driven battles...but I still expect to be able to lose to the final boss of a game. Sephiroth could kill you. Kefka could kill you. Zeromus could kill you. Ultimecia could kill you...granted, as I've said before, I haven't played any FF game past 10, but I would sincerely have to hope that in every installment after that, you could lose the final battle. You like the game, that's fine by me, but don't use that as an excuse to discount my perfectly valid points.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
RJ 17 said:
:p I do have a rather humorous story relating to FFX. A friend of mine thought it was too hard, to which I would laugh in his face at such a notion, and as such decided he wanted to use Game Shark to give himself a bit of an edge. He made all his characters super-powerful, but was unable to beat the game. Why? Because his Yuna was a goddess of power, and that meant all her Aeons were equally godly...so when he had to fight them all at the end, they would utterly wipe the floor with him. No contest.

But let me just say this, above all else, HERE is why FFX was an absolutely shitty game: it is literally impossible to lose against the main boss (Yevon) unless you kill yourself...TWICE! The disappointment felt while fighting the main boss cannot be calculated by human minds...I mean really? You're granted Re-Raise for your entire party and the only attack Yevon uses is gravity magic, so once you're down to 1 life it does no damage and basically lets you limit break all you want? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.
On that note, FF7 is worse. The very last fight in the game you cannot lose. Period. You can't even kill yourself. The real final boss were the Aeons, Yu Yevon was a pre-credit extra fight.

OT: FFX is my favorite FF of all time, so as long as they fork over the International content (and no reason NOT to) I will get this day 1.
To your first point: actually, if you stand there or use anything but Omnislash, Sephiroth will take a swipe at you and kill you. To your second point, that's just a cop-out. You're deep within the bowels of Sin, you ome to find out that Sin is actually the god that everyone worships. Alright! Time to kill me a corrupt god! Though it would be nice if said god actually fought back with attacks designed to kill and not designed to just speed boost you to limit breaks. The evil aeons are not the boss, they are a creation OF the boss.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I'll get it. I've got a backwards compatible PS3, and a PS2 still as well actually, but my disk is scratched to shit.

I'd prefer a remake of IX though, that game is very undervalued; though not by the posters here, apparently.

I'd most like progress on Versus though. That damned trailer...

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
RJ 17 said:
The evil aeons are not the boss, they are a creation OF the boss.
It's been a long while since I played the game but, I'm pretty sure the story sets Yu Yevon up as a weakling that needs to summon things to protect itself. Without its summons it is supposed to be wimpy.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
If it's just a HD port, then I will buy it for the PS3... if/when I someday decide to re-buy that console.

If it's a remake from scratch... well I will be very very confused, somewhat amused at the middle finger it represents and probably buy it anyway.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
kurupt87 said:
RJ 17 said:
The evil aeons are not the boss, they are a creation OF the boss.
It's been a long while since I played the game but, I'm pretty sure the story sets Yu Yevon up as a weakling that needs to summon things to protect itself. Without its summons it is supposed to be wimpy.
Even if that were the case (and I'm not saying it's not, I only completed 1 playthrough of the game and it was (obviously) years ago), that still doesn't take away that the dark aeons are not the boss but rather a creation of the boss. Though I really don't recall anything in the story indicating that. You don't even know that you're going to encounter Yevon until you're fighting him, so I don't see where they could have slipped that little tid-bit in.

Regardless, just because the game comes out and tells you that the final boss is a pussy doesn't make it right. :p

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I would play it I played it quite a bit when I had it for the ps2 and I dont really think Final Fantasy has a whole lot of life left anyway.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
I think I'd rather they did an HD remake of Mystic Quest than X.

I really do not understand this reluctance square/enix have about remaking what is probably one of their most widely & fondly remembered titles.

Maybe they are just tired of making money.

/edit if they must do this, for the love FSM redo the voice acting...and possibly the whole script...and make Auron more...I dunno...something...and Tidus less......with the talking...and the breathing.

Oh and at least make the Al Bhed lines less predictable so that there is at least a fucking reason to find the primers.

My dislike for X is only slightly behind my burning hate for VIII :)

Amber Travers

Jan 18, 2012
While I enjoyed 10, the reason they are remaking FF10 is they are lazy. Too lazy to remake any of the really good Final Fantasy's as it would involve literally redoing everything from scratch. It's the same reason you cant fly around in your airship the way you used to. They basically said it's too much work to have that vast of an environment. They would rather spend time on the piles of garbage called Final Fantasy 13 and Final Fantasy 14. Cant imagine why their stock isn't exactly booming. If they really wanted to make a killing, they would have a team working on remakes 1-9 full time. How many copies of FF7 were sold? 10 million I think....10 million x $60 a copy....$600,000,000. Isn't that what all companies are in it for? To make money. I'm pretty sure this would not only get nostalgic gamers like me to pick up a copy but get a whole new generation enjoying what Final Fantasy used to be. Not to mention if they could put the re-releases on PS3, PC, and 360....

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
FFX is the only FF I've really gotten into and I had lots of fun with it so I'm really looking forward to the remake.

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
They're remaking FFX? That's great I've wanted that for a long time, it runs like shit on an emulator.
So I read the thread title and came in ready to scream YES, then I saw this:
AcidKnight said:
Or do you wish that they'd stop remaking old games and come out with KH3 already?
And now I'm not so sure anymore

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I look forward to the remake of Final Fantasy X because it was the second last good Final Fantasy(last being X-2) and in my honest opinion Final Fantasy needs to return to it's creator or just end. Personally I'd prefer FFIX to be remade since it is Hironobu Sakaguchi's favourite of the series and has my favourite Final Fantasy character in it Vivi because he reminds me of Robo with how his character progresses.

Final Fantasy X being remade is proof that Square-Enix can't make a good new Final Fantasy and need to mine what was good. Also to everyone who wants Final Fantasy VII remade, GET OVER IT! The game isn't as good as you thought and Square-Enix wants to butcher it if they remade it since they have to rebuild it from the ground up to look like FFXIII and that's what you guys want. Personally I'd want a PS2 graphics upgrade for FFVII that looks like Dirge Of Cerberus but that's me. As for PS3 upgrades FFVIII and FFIX have a better chance since it has better character models and pre-rendered backgrounds to work with.

Since they are remaking FFX I only want 1 change... allow use to get enough unlocking spheres for every lock! That has always pissed me off in the game. Oh and fix the lip sync too! I loved Final Fantasy X and it was the reason I bought a PS2(ironically FFXIII was the reason I bought a PS3). I sure hope it comes out this year but I think 2013 would be more likely when it gets released.

dunedog

Nov 18, 2009
FFX being remade is stupid. Whether you like it or not, it already had incredibly high production values. Hell, it looks better than some PS3 games.

If there are any Final Fantasy games that need to be remade, they are VI and IX. Both are better than X (and VII, for that matter. Suck it, fanboys). VI had the best final boss in any FF game, though IX continued the "oh you thought they were the villain? Too bad, here's someone worse who was controlling them lawl" thing that VIII started...

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Can't say I really care about it. Now a remake of 12 would garner some interest. Yea, yea, I know a lot of people hated it, but the open-nature of the maps and KotOR-esque gameplay were more up my alley than the more traditional JRPG combat of standing across from each other taking turns whacking each other.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I'm sceptical of remakes since Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. A case where a remake seems like a mind-blowing idea, but where the developement hammers the dignity of the original into the ground with every single liberty they take.

FFX was the last great Final Fantasy IMO, but if it's just a job to revamp the visuals, then the gameplay probably won't hold up well enough to be worth it.

There are innumerable places where FFX would benefit from gameplay adjustments; but given that Square Enix doesn't really understand how to make great Final Fantasy games anymore; it's likely that you'll see effort directed toward making 'improvements' that the game doesn't need. Like a new soundtrack that doesn't hold up to an original one that was already ideal as it was; or extended FMV scenes with Advent Children style choreography that basically waste your time in having you watch Tidus defy the laws of physics.

There's definately some potential here; but the chances are comparatively high that it'll be squandered to some extent.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Considering I hated FFX with a burning passion it should be easy to guess what I think of the remake. that being said they could fix some of the problems with it if this is a remake not just a new coat of paint (I highly doubt they will though). but unless they fix the awful story, obnoxious cast, and hilariously stupid character design I have no desire to see Titus's infinitely punchable face in HD.