Poll: Final Fantasy X remake - do YOU hate it?

Pseudonyme

Nov 24, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Pseudonyme said:
RJ 17 said:
But let me just say this, above all else, HERE is why FFX was an absolutely shitty game: it is literally impossible to lose against the main boss (Yevon) unless you kill yourself...TWICE!
Yevon is not the main boss. Penance is the main boss. If you can't see the merits behind a story driven battle then I think final fantasy of all things may be a bit much for you.
As to the name thing, you say that as though it changes the fact that it's still impossible to lose to the final boss of the game. As to "story driven battles", ALL boss fights in FF games are story-driven battles...but I still expect to be able to lose to the final boss of a game. Sephiroth could kill you. Kefka could kill you. Zeromus could kill you. Ultimecia could kill you...granted, as I've said before, I haven't played any FF game past 10, but I would sincerely have to hope that in every installment after that, you could lose the final battle. You like the game, that's fine by me, but don't use that as an excuse to discount my perfectly valid points.
Name thing? No, I'm referring to http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Penance_%28Final_Fantasy_X%29 , whom to defeat, your party must be nearing the actual mechanical limit of character strength within the game and a single slip can kill your entire party in a turn. My point is that you can't claim that the story was "too easy" just because the challenge deliberately lies in optional bosses. All the fights after Braska's final Aeon are just parts of the ending cinematic, just like Cloud's final solo assault on Sephiroth, an analogy already drawn.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Are they actually remaking it? I thought they were just giving it an HD treatment. I MIGHT buy a remake. Assuming they don't screw up combat or Bliztball (which I actually liked).

Sandytimeman said:
I HATE this game. Seriously, Tidus is an intolerable asshole >.> If the story had been from Yuna's perspective, I could probably fall in love with this game.

I mean, she is really the interesting character for me. A girl, who spent her entire life locked up in a temple and the only time she gets to see the world or live her life is during the journey to willingly sacrifice herself.

Instead I get a whinny Daddy's boy, that spends the entire game TELLING me it's his story and that you know he is an amazing underwater soccer player that gets sent to the future (I know the specifics of that but...I don't want to spoil). I HATE Tidus.
I always saw FFX as being Yuna's story anyway. We were just playing as Tidus. Wasn't that big a deal for me. Though, I'm pretty forgiving on most characters. Takes a lot to annoy me. Generally characters like Cait Sith or Quina that annoy me. They have no reason to exist and kinda destroyed the group image to me. Plus uninteresting abilities.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
I really liked FFX, and it was the first truly "cinematic" Final Fantasy title. Therefore "yes", I would enjoy an HD remake.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I learned everything I know about this game from Noah Antiwiler (Thespooneyone)

Even still... I've never played a squeenix game that I've hated (have not played many FF games), and X seems to be one of the more popular ones, according to some minimal google research.

I may give it a look.

Now, can anyone confirm whether this is an actual REMAKE, or an HD RE-RELEASE. I'm expecting the former as it is the more cost effecti*cough lazier cough*ive way to go, but hoping it is the latter.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Dude, I totally agree. I couldn't believe how easy Jecht was at the end, it was a flaming penis joke. I enjoyed the Blitzball tournaments more than I did the combat system also.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pseudonyme said:
RJ 17 said:
Pseudonyme said:
RJ 17 said:
But let me just say this, above all else, HERE is why FFX was an absolutely shitty game: it is literally impossible to lose against the main boss (Yevon) unless you kill yourself...TWICE!
Yevon is not the main boss. Penance is the main boss. If you can't see the merits behind a story driven battle then I think final fantasy of all things may be a bit much for you.
As to the name thing, you say that as though it changes the fact that it's still impossible to lose to the final boss of the game. As to "story driven battles", ALL boss fights in FF games are story-driven battles...but I still expect to be able to lose to the final boss of a game. Sephiroth could kill you. Kefka could kill you. Zeromus could kill you. Ultimecia could kill you...granted, as I've said before, I haven't played any FF game past 10, but I would sincerely have to hope that in every installment after that, you could lose the final battle. You like the game, that's fine by me, but don't use that as an excuse to discount my perfectly valid points.
Name thing? No, I'm referring to http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Penance_%28Final_Fantasy_X%29 , whom to defeat, your party must be nearing the actual mechanical limit of character strength within the game and a single slip can kill your entire party in a turn. My point is that you can't claim that the story was "too easy" just because the challenge deliberately lies in optional bosses. All the fights after Braska's final Aeon are just parts of the ending cinematic, just like Cloud's final solo assault on Sephiroth, an analogy already drawn.
I apologize, seeing as how I didn't even know that Penance existed since I played the original US version on the PS2, I thought you were saying that Penance was the name of the little floating tick guy that is indeed the final encounter of the game.

Now if Penance is the main boss of the game, then the main boss of the game is an optional fight? Yeah, that makes it even lamer. "WE'VE GOT THIS REALLY POWERFUL GUY WHO COULD BE CONSIDERED THE MAIN BOSS OF THE GAME! Oh, but don't worry, you don't have to fight him if you really don't want to." That STILL doesn't solve my issue. If you're saying that the main boss of the main story is an optional battle, that means that the entire main story is, itself, just a sidequest.

Clearly we have different definitions of "final boss". To you, "final boss" is the hardest enemy in the game. Does that mean that Omega Weapon was the final boss of FF8? I honestly have no problem at all with optional bosses being stronger than the final boss of a game, my problem lies in the fact that the final boss of this game not only being weaker than Penance, but essentially weaker than every other monster (boss or basic) in the entire game.

I'm sorry, but when your party goes up against the very core of Sin's being, which turns out to be the GOD that the entire world worships, I expect said god to put up a fight. As I said before, the dark aeons are a creation of the main boss, not the main boss itself. The "final boss", to me, is quite literally the last fight of the game. If it's all just part of the ending cinematic then why the hell wasn't it just made into a cinematic battle? Why make you waste the 10 minutes or whatever that it takes to kill Yevon?

As for Cloud's final showdown with Sephiroth, as I responded to the first person who pointed that out: if you just stand there or use any attack other than Omnislash, Sephiroth will attack you and you will die. I know, because I've specifically seen it when I got to that part and wondered "Hmmm, I wonder if Sephiroth can kill me here" and sure enough he did. So even in that case, you can still lose the final fight without actually killing yourself.

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
They should have remade the FF series from the beginning, and chronologically worked their way to the current, then they would have an excuse to not have to come up with a new story, could have made their old fans happy, and infected a new generation with depression upon seeing a certain flower girl get impaled. In fact I think that would be an interesting business model, they have enough games that they could just keep cycling remakes for current technology, from FF1-13, then by the time they finish, a new generation of gamers will have passed and they can do it again. Constantly remaking the same games over and over until the end of time. You know, like a lot of movies :p

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
I liked it, BUT, it had a few issues in my eyes. Blitzball could have been much better, the international version had a lot more features (I'd only buy the remake if it was the international version...and had a PS3 to begin with), and I can just say "Laughing scene" and you know exactly why it gets so much hate. I understand some of the hate, but it isn't as bad as most people say.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
To quote Christian Bale in the criminally underrated Equilibrium: "I had no feelings about it."

That about sums it up. The original's graphics are dated at this point, sure, but they're hardly unbearable. The voice acting is atrocious, but that leaves it with a sort of goofy charm. The gameplay was, and still is, perfectly fine. I replayed it 3 months ago and enjoyed it just the same.

There really is no logical reason to remake X over any of the PS1 titles except as a cheap attempt to have a quick payday, and any of the 3 PS1 titles remade would probably generate a ton more revenue (though, admittedly, they would take longer to make). There is no reason not to simply put the original build up on the PSN for $20. Less hassle, more profit.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
sindremaster said:
AcidKnight said:
Or do you wish that they'd stop remaking old games and come out with KH3 already?
And now I'm not so sure anymore
mmmmeh I'm pretty sure the KH team is separate from the main FF team, and supposedly they're working on a FF XIII real-time-combat spinoff title.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
AcidKnight said:
A lot of people on the internet are complaining that the FFX remake is a waste of Square's time, whether its because they want another Final Fantasy remade first or they didnt like FFX the first time around.

Personally, FFX is my favorite FF (assuming i throw away nostalgia - FF2/4 was my first one, and shall always be first to me :D), so the remake is a godsend, especially since i dont have a PS2 and my PS3 isnt backward compatible. Its battle system was awesome, even if it was turn-based (which i refer anyway), it was the last FF (discounting FFX-2) that allowed you to control all your characters' actions, not just the leader, its sidequests were amazing and actually gave worthwile rewards ala the weapons, and its story was deep and thought-provoking. Yes, there were aspects that i didnt like about it (such as the armor system), but i could say the same about any game.

So do you like/hate this remake? Have you played FFX on PS2 yet? Are you sick of remakes in general?

Or do you wish that they'd stop remaking old games and come out with KH3 already?
Holy crap! my vote makes me 'just' in the minority 118:119, no:yes as I write this.

I was going to say, everyone wants a FF7 remake not a FF10 one, but considering this poll, I don't know what to think anymore.

I want FF7, but... maybe others would be just as happy with FF10, which isn't the worst FF game, but it isn't in my upper half of FFs either.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't really care one way or another. I didn't hate Final Fantasy X but I didn't have it long enough to beat it (I did have it long enough to fall in love with Lulu though). I think it's kind of pointless to remake the thing though since you can still find the original FFX for slightly less new than it would cost to fill your gas-tank. On the plus side, at least they aren't doing ANOTHER Final Fantasy IV remake (not that there's a problem with IV)

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I need a "meh" option although I answered no in this case because I don't have any of this gen's consoles. I did like FFX a lot and I would probably pick up a remake of it if the price was right and I had the system for it, but I would also like to see new Final Fantasy games that don't suck as well. Or at least a remake of III/VI (the one with Kefka, Terra, Sabin, Mog, etc., whichever Final Fantasy you want to call it), because that one's my favorite.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
I'm a bit baffled by the whole idea, actually. It seemed to come completely out of the blue. Was someone clamouring for a FFX remake / HD upgrade or something? Why?

I liked FFX; it was my first Final Fantasy game. I think it still looks fine today--not great, but whatever, it's a decade old by now--and it's got some incredibly beautiful cutscenes, like Yuna's sending dance. I'm just not sure that a graphical upgrade is really going to be worthwhile on its own. Unless they're retouching the gameplay too, and at that point you might as well consider the merits of making an entirely new game.

If they do it, though, they'd better not mess up Auron. There'll be pitchforks and flaming torches involved if that happens, and I'll join in.

Nilsenator

Nov 11, 2009
I don't mind Final Fantasy X. It's nowhere near my favorite game in the series (probably not even my top five) and it has some story issues, but I like the world of the game and the excellent battle mechanics. The soundtrack is really nice too. I'm pretty much indifferent about the remake right now, I might get it if I want to play the game again, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

To be honest I wish Square Enix would just get their act together and stop wasting their time on MMO's, direct sequels, spinoffs and remakes and focus all their energy on making the next big, great Final Fantasy, one that can possibly make the series feel relevant again.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
FFX is probably my favorite game of all time... but I also don't think that it really needs to be remade. I think it's good just the way it is.

However, if it is only for the PS3, I am going to be very sad that I won't get to play it. :(

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
It's not my favourite, it's kind of bland, but I find it enjoyable enough and a pleasant play-through. I mean, it's a Final Fantasy game; it's got that part down. I like the battle system, it has a memorable soundtrack, and it has motherfucking Auron in it.

I honestly actually like FFX-2 better, simply because it has more personality and was so stupid that it turned around on itself and actually became kind of awesome and, in a way, managed to be more memorable than its predecessor in parts. But everyone hates FFX-2 (and justly so, let's be honest) so I know there won't be a remake of that. Huge shock.

I don't know, man! I just can't not like Final Fantasy, even though I really do dislike some of its games. I think Final Fantasy X may be getting by on a lot of the nostalgia factor for me, but I still enjoy kicking back and playing it, so I'm down for a remake.

Now, if they made FFXIII-3 instead of Versus, then I would be mad.

Jun 11, 2008
ultimasupersaiyan said:
Also to everyone who wants Final Fantasy VII remade, GET OVER IT! The game isn't as good as you thought and Square-Enix wants to butcher it if they remade it since they have to rebuild it from the ground up to look like FFXIII and that's what you guys want.
Yes because you know what everyone wants from a FFVII remake if they ever make one and are also the voice of the whole gaming community on the quality of FF games.

That is like me saying FFX shouldn't get a remake because I personally do not think it is as good as people give it credit for as the last alleged good Final Fantasy. I say that in broad opinion as many claim FFVI was.