Poll: Game features you don't care for

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Modding in general and why I never seem to care for it after trying so many times on different games and then putting them aside forever and learning to enjoy the vanilla games for what they are not what they should be.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Modding in general and why I never seem to care for it after trying so many times on different games and then putting them aside forever and learning to enjoy the vanilla games for what they are not what they should be.
Some modding is fun on it's own - Garry's Mod, or Minecraft for that matter - but yeah, as a supplementary option it's not very enthralling. Build-your-own-level is specially aggravating. How is it going to be challenging to play through it if you built it yourself? At least that's my experience with that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Being only able to hold 2 guns at once.

I want some variety in my games. I want to be able to use what I want when I want.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Oh, how I could forgot about this one.

Althougt modding comes from the fanbase... so not really a game feature but whatever.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
aguspal said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Oh, how I could forgot about this one.

Althougt modding comes from the fanbase... so not really a game feature but whatever.
I should've included a edit-your-own-map poll option, I've always blatantly ignored them in every game I encountered.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Co-op. Particularly forced co-op (looking at you RE 5).
I have friends that can drop by and play some game with me for a couple hours, but if the game requires that I play the entire campaign with them or be forced to deal with a retarded AI, that is a game I can say now I won't complete.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hermes200 said:
Co-op. Particularly forced co-op (looking at you RE 5).
I have friends that can drop by and play some game with me for a couple hours, but if the game requires that I play the entire campaign with them or be forced to deal with a retarded AI, that is a game I can say now I won't complete.
Yeah, I love co-op up to the point where your friend won't make it over this week... or the next... so you wind up cheating on him or starting over another file.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Gargantuan bosses that look impressive in scope, but are beaten through very easy means, often times through a quick-time event.

For example, look at the Titan from Resistance 2. It's a huge, imposing creature. How do we beat it?

Step 1.) Run down linear sequence of paths (I don't think I even needed to dodge anything, if I remember correctly)

Step 2.) Pick up rocket launcher

Step 3.) *Boom*

For another example, think back to the Guardian boss fight in Darksiders 2. Sure, he was really big, and the music was spectacular, but could you really call it a challenging boss? Was finding out the method to beating him in any way difficult, what with his glowing weak points? (Note that I still enjoyed these two games, it's just that these boss fights were major disappointments for me, as they are in any game that handles them in a similar fashion).

It's gotten to the point where I don't even get excited when I see a large boss anymore, because they're usually beaten in such easy ways, and are made almost purely for the spectacle of "Oooh, look at what our graphics engine can do!".

Shadow of the Colossus, however, did it right (thank goodness for that, since it's the entire point of the game). Yes, the bosses had glowing weak points, but you had to discover them for yourself, and finding the methods to beat them and planning the best climbing routes while managing your grip gauge was actually a challenge.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Multiplayer tacked on to singleplayer games. Or, singleplayer tacked on to multiplayer games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jolly Co-operator said:
Gargantuan bosses that look impressive in scope, but are beaten through very easy means, often times through a quick-time event.
Funnily enough this is how the final colossus from Shadow of the Colossus felt to me - a linear obstacle coursed, followed by a linear climbing course, during which you're in no particular danger of anything as Malus can't attack you. He's not even moving. It looks impressive the first time around but once you realize how you're supposed to take him down it's a little underwhelming (he just haves the one sigil, too).

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Jolly Co-operator said:
Funnily enough this is how the final colossus from Shadow of the Colossus felt to me - a linear obstacle coursed, followed by a linear climbing course, during which you're in no particular danger of anything as Malus can't attack you. He's not even moving. It looks impressive the first time around but once you realize how you're supposed to take him down it's a little underwhelming (he just haves the one sigil, too).
I agree. I preferred the Colossi that were in more wide-open areas, with more freedom of movement. Not only did it make figuring out how to kill them more of a challenge, seeing them compared to plains and mountain ranges just made them seem more . . . well, colossal.

Despite the annoyances with the final colossus, I didn't mind it too much. The colossus I just can't stand is the tortoise-like one (the 9th). Maybe it was just a problem with the PS3 re-release, but getting the geysers to actually knock him over was such a finicky and unreliable process. It failed to work so many times that I thought I had the wrong method entirely, and had to check an FAQ just to be certain. It was enjoyable enough once I actually got to the climbing part, but getting to that point is such a pain, and for all the wrong reasons.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jolly Co-operator said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Jolly Co-operator said:
I agree. I preferred the Colossi that were in more wide-open areas, with more freedom of movement. Not only did it make figuring out how to kill them more of a challenge, seeing them compared to plains and mountain ranges just made them seem more . . . well, colossal.

Despite the annoyances with the final colossus, I didn't mind it too much. The colossus I just can't stand is the tortoise-like one (the 9th). Maybe it was just a problem with the PS3 re-release, but getting the geysers to actually knock him over was such a finicky and unreliable process. It failed to work so many times that I thought I had the wrong method entirely, and had to check an FAQ just to be certain. It was enjoyable enough once I actually got to the climbing part, but getting to that point is such a pain, and for all the wrong reasons.
Actually the 9th colosssus (Basaran?) always felt a little tricky. Maybe I wasted too much time trying to pull it off while riding Agro before I realized I didn't have to.