Poll: Glasses-wearing escapists! How do you adjust them when they start slipping?

AjHedgehog

Aug 3, 2012
I 'walk' them up my nose by shifting my nose left to right, great for playing on the Xbox as it's hands free but not so great in a public place as it looks a little strange.
So in public it's a case of thumb under the left lens, index on top and lift.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Left hand.
Grasping the top and bottom of the left lens.
Slightly lift.
Widen eyes and flare nose to make skin as smooth as possible at the bridge.
Push back and settle into place.
Allow expression to return to normal.

Unfortuneately/fortuneately I am cursed/gifted with oily skin. I am going to age quite gracefully, as evidenced by my parents so far. However, that means my glasses can slip quite frequently depending on my activities. Adjustment happens a lot.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Vegosiux said:
This talk came about when a glasses-wearing friend of mine asked me "Why do you keep doing that?" The "that" in question being me pushing my glasses up by the bridge with my middle finger all the time cause they keep slipping. And when I said I do it because, well, my glasses are slipping, I get told that it's weird, because "normal" people tend to grab them at the corner and adjust or something.

So it got me thinking, how do people actually fix the position of their glasses when they need to?

Yeah, it's a silly thread but bear with me...or don't.
Technically you are supposed to use both hands on the corners as that is the least likely way to bend the frame. That said I do the middle finger on the bridge as well. Its simple, efficient, and only takes one hand so if I need to I can do it while I drive.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Most of the time I push it up on the bridge while a few time I used one hand on the corner/hinge. As for the reason why, I guess I had picked up the pushing the bridge trait from Kuro from the manga/ anime One Piece back (that was his running gag) when I wasn't wearing glasses back then.
Capt. Kuro had a bad ass way of adjusting his glasses (I guess in retrospect, considering the claws and all). As for myself. I don't wear my glasses often but when I do and have to adjust them, I normally use my forefinger and thumb on the top and bottom edges of my right lens. All superhero style and shit.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Usually a thumb on the right hinge, long finger tip on the left and adjust it. Works well, and I can facepalm without being obvious about it

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
I have various ways to do it; there's the single finger push on the bridge, gripping around the rim of one lens and adjusting, making faces to get them to move up and sometimes using both hands on the sides. I think that which technique I use mostly depends on where my hands are and what they're doing. Also, "variety is the spice of life" and all that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pandalisk said:
Careful with using your middle finger to push up your glasses. One very, very overly dramatic teacher took it as me subtly giving her the finger.
This is why I started leaving my index finger mostly extended as I did it. I also have this same problem with my bluetooth headphones when changing tracks or play state.

I do sometimes grab the rims around the lens as well. Just usually not

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
steampro said:
Usually a thumb on the right hinge, long finger tip on the left and adjust it. Works well, and I can facepalm without being obvious about it
Good idea, but if I'm facepalming I probably want people to know it.

Sadly, I either have to smudge my glasses or take them off first, which removes much of the effect of the facepalm.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Telekinesis of course! Isn't that what normol to do?

OT: The bridge usually, Though I don't use the middle finger.

ChemicalAlia

Apr 4, 2010
I take mine to my opthamologist and have them re-adjusted. I'd just make them worse if I tried to fix them.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
WITH MAI DICK!!!!

[small]All seriousness aside, nothing set in stone; I like to switch it up.[/small]

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I spread the thumb and index finger of one hand, and push up on both hinges. Sometimes, if the slipping is very slight, I can just adjust them by twitching my nose.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Shax said:
I spread the thumb and index finger of one hand, and push up on both hinges. Sometimes, if the slipping is very slight, I can just adjust them by twitching my nose.
I was really worried that I was the only one that did this, and that I'd be ridiculed by the masses with their bridge-pushing. Although I do find that if I do it while someone is talking, they think I'm giving them the facepalm.

So yeah, one handed finger spreading hinge adjustment. It's the way all the cool kids are doing it.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
first of all, my mother is an optician, that means the works in sales at a store that sells glasses. So that store anyways offers very good service and you can guess that my glasses are fitted quite well and therefor dont slip often.
If they slip I usually push them up with one hand, but with my thumb on one corner and the other fingers on the other corner, its a habit from when my left hand was broken.
SO I belong to that camp of people doing it that way, like Shax and Zantos, but when Im in a conversation I usually just grab the rim of the right lens to fix them, so I dont block my vision of the person Im talking to.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Pandalisk said:
Oddest Most awesome way to push up your glasses I've seen actually was this fellow i used to work with at a bakery. Generally he'd work with flour and such so he'd always push up his glasses with the inside of his wrist so as not to mess up his lenses, looked very strange badass.
I do that with my sunglasses, because it looks badass!

Does it because of his claw weapons.
Captain Kuro of the Black Cat Pirates.

Damn you Tizzy you friggin Ninja!

OT: I honestly don't know... I kinda use the middle finger thing, and the Captain Kuro thing, and sometimes the arms of the glasses, it really varies quite a lot and doesn't happen often..

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pandalisk said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Pandalisk said:
Oddest Most awesome way to push up your glasses I've seen actually was this fellow i used to work with at a bakery. Generally he'd work with flour and such so he'd always push up his glasses with the inside of his wrist so as not to mess up his lenses, looked very strange badass.
I do that with my sunglasses, because it looks badass!

Does it because of his claw weapons.
I've just spent a good minute pushing my glasses up with my wrist, i keep smudging the glass and my nose gets in the way!

I'll never be cool!
BEND YOUR WRIST HARDER!

OT: Two fingers on the bridge, one hand on a lens rim if I'm feeling flashy.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Always on the bridge of the glasses. I either do it with my right index finger, in a quick movement just to get it out of the way, or for drama I do it slowly with my left middle finger. Usually the right index is for when I am playing games or moving around, and left middle for talking.