Poll: Harry Potter, "You'll be missed?" or "Good Riddance"

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
it's a franchise that knew it was terminal from the very beginning. it knew where it started, what the stakes were, and where it was going.

you really can't ask more of a franchise than to limit itself from the very beginning, and besides, each and every book and film is an extremely groundbreaking piece of storytelling and imaginative scene building from start to finish.

there has never and probably will never be another franchise such as this that can run on for over 10 years and be not bad at worst to amazing at best.

i'm not sad to see it go, i'm proud that i was there from beginning to end and that i get to be here when it ended, knowing that they're not going to try and milk random ass plots out of it for more profit.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
The experience ended for me with the books and they were just long enough with one for every year at Hogwarts (technically the last one wasn't there but you get my idea) and I am glad it's over, just the right length.

So I'm not sad it's over and any more would've been too much.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

My reaction to it all going away is very "Meh". Gave up with the books after number five, I believe, and the films after four. Suppose it means people I know'll shut up about it now, well either that or keep on going on about how it's all over. But yeah, basically meh, with a slight leaning to good riddance.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I'm listening to Green Day at the moment so my inebriated mind is amused by 'Good Riddance'.

OT: I'll probably see the movie at some point, but I was never that into it, so ambivalence (I spelled that right the first try? No way!) it is.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Ryu890 said:
And lets not forget the fanfics.
Though we'll try. Oh, how we'll try to forget. Some things were not meant to be. Hagrid/Dumbledore slashfics are among them.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Neither, but more the former than the latter. I really like the movies, but I don't think this will be the end. I think there will be spin-offs.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
sravankb said:
Neither. For me, it will be cherished because it was a great series and most of all - it ended and wasn't milked to death.

P.S. I didn't want to choose "Missed", because that might imply that I want to see more of it.
I'm going to have to agree with this.

I quite enjoyed the series, but I am glad to see that it is ending so that it won't be stretched far beyond its welcome.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Broken poll.

Well, as with most film adaptations of books I prefer my imagination to what the director interpreted but I thought they were done decently. The Lord of the Rings series seemed to capture the books better than the Harry Potter books in my opinion.

I'll miss them but I'm kind of glad that something will have to fill the void.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Ryu890 said:
And lets not forget the fanfics.
Though we'll try. Oh, how we'll try to forget. Some things were not meant to be. Hagrid/Dumbledore slashfics are among them.

*Adds Harry Potter to the list of fanbases not to identify with*

[sub]Didn't mean to double post this time >.<[/sub]

E.Blackadder

Apr 26, 2011
Meh. It ended for me with the books 4 years ago, but it'll always be around, there'll be more HP related stuff everywhere.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
It ended quite well, besides, there are other series that I'm more sad about them ending.

sniff

See you space cowboy...

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
*bracing for a shit-storm* I don't like the Harry Potter movies. At all.

Don't get me wrong, I think the books are awesome. I just hate watching movies based on books I've read, it just feels wrong. When the first movie came, way back in junior high, my English teacher took my class to see it and basically forced me to go too. Ever since I've had this irrational hate towards the Harry Potter movie franchise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I'd care more if I did not have tons of other better fantasy settings filling my time. Harry Potter is enjoyable and all, but Im not a big fan of "magic can do whatever we need it to" style.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
Its kinda sad really.
I mean - take the scale of the thing into account.
This is a series that spans, basically, an entire generation - 15-odd years of new installments.
Hell - I remember going into W.H Smith's with my Mum when I was 6 to buy the hardback first edition of the Philosopher's Stone because I got a book voucher for my birthday.
And for people like me the film versions hold a special place in my heart as well - age-wise I basically grew up with these characters, with these actors, and that is an incredibly strange sensation to watch them progress towards adulthood at the same pace as me.

For more than just soppy sentimental reasons as well - this marks the closing of a cinematic event that will never be replicated.
I can almost guarantee it.
No one will have the cojones to invest in such a risky project of this scale in the near future.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Neither. It was a good story, and it was brought to its conclusion. It was a good story with a satisfying and fulfilling conclusion, and now that the story has been told in its entirety, I'm satisfied for it to exist in its present and awesome form. It's done, and it's been done well. I'm happy.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Crono1973 said:
I lost interest after the first 2 movies. I guess the real thrill with Harry Potter was discovering the world and the magic. Once that was done, there was nothing left for me.
Maybe you should give the third one a try. This is where the story starts to develop and the movies start to find their own, much darker style. the first two were made by Chris Colombus (I think) which turned them into bright, carefree movies for children. Believe me, they get much more grown up and feature some rather nasty elements.

OT: I saw the last movie last Saturday and can close the story without regrets. It's OK, I don't feel a deep emotional void of loss or dance around on destroyed HP DVDs. It was fun while it lasted, now I'm looking forward to the Hobbit.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
This series ending is very sad for me. I grew up with these books and movies. They're a large portion of my childhood, and it's depressing to see it all come to an end. I'm quite happy that the series went out with a fantastic finale (which broke box office history, by the way). The franchise as a whole really deserves it.

Plus, the ending had me all watery eyed. It wasn't really the ending to the actual film that got me, but the concluding of my childhood occurring right infront of me. I gotta admit, when the screen faded to black and that classic John Williams Harry Potter theme started up, I had no choice but to give a teary eyed standing ovation.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I grew up with the books, knew and loved most of the characters so yeah I was somewhat sad that when I finished the final book. Luckily? the ending of the final book was so terrible that my love for the whole franchise decreased drastically, and I wasn't so sad it was over. I don't know if I would like the whole franchise now that I've grown up and I'll be able to read the bok more objectivly.
I never cared much about the movies, Perkamentes, the Weasles (except maybe Ginny) and several minor characters were played very well. But the rest of the acting just didn't cut it for me. Snape especially was a example of a perfectly good character, ruined by mediocore acting. Really a great actor might have been able to get an oscar playing a role like Snape. So no I'm not sad that no more movies will be made.
EDIT: I just remembered Hagrid. I loved Hagrid, I'm sad there won't be any more movies with him. Also it's kind of a downer that we probably won't hear much from the actor who played Ron. He was very good, but his looks don't fit many roles.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's pretty sad in the big picture so yes, I guess it will be sorely missed.