Poll: Has a game made you cry?

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
The third and fourth Metal Gear Solid titles both made me cry. Many games have come close, admittedly I am a bit of a stone wall.

That said, the ending of the original Kingdom Hearts is a winner, every. single. time. I really look forward to buying the HD upscale version later this year and crying a whole lot more when the music is being done by a live orchestra.

Trinab

Feb 1, 2013
End of Portal 2 got me choked up, surprisingly. Laughter and a few wistful tears.

Hrm, what else?

Oh yes!

Ending of Starcraft, (not expansion.) The way the final battle worked out made it such a huge, epic fight, and then seeing the self-sacrifice of Tassadar, with the music and everything was badass and tearful.

Ending of the first Lufia game, so bitter-sweet, with the possibility of a happy ending.

Ahh Lufia, the only JRPG I ever played from start to finish.

Those are the ones I can remember while straining. I tear up more at books, movies and, (once,) with tv.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I teared up at both the ending to Persona 4 and, probably to more people's surprise, Final Fantasy XIII. Both happy endings to games where I grew to like all the cast. Probably would have lost it if those games had sad endings where everyone died.
This is the reason I never played Final Fantasy XIII-2, because it took an ending I really liked and was just all "Actually no that never happened lol".

Also, nearly at the end of One Piece: Pirate Warriors, but I don't know if that counts because it's just following the original One Piece story? Either way, I haven't got that far in the anime so ain't seen it before so it made me sad. But not enough to cry.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I can't even remember the last time that I've full on cried. But a few games have gotten a couple of tears out of me (and that Terry Pratchett documentary, fuck that was sad), the first two to jump to mind though is Hl2: ep.2 and The Walking Dead (obviously).

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
themutantlizard said:
MGS3's ending. poor Boss then again a lot of the MGS games are depressing
MGS3 was the first thing that came to mind. I started to cry on a couple of others but MGS3's ending made me cry badly. xD

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
I really teared up just after the ending of Bioshock Infinite.

Just as the credits start and the Barbershop Quartet cover of 'God Only Knows' started, I jsut had to put my controller down for a minute as I was processing it.

That song, with THAT ending, and the whole 'meaning' of the story, yeah, mantears.

ThresholdX

Jun 29, 2010
Persona 4 made me shed a few tears at the end, on both endings. Not to mention the part at the end when:

Nanako dies.

That part was just way too much for me. Other games that have made me shed tears include:

Persona 3
Kingdom Hearts (all of them)
Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain

and alternatively, Catherine. The True Freedom ending rather had me shed a single tear of joy because the ending was just so good. I think the True Lovers ending got me too.

"Why live a life without doing what you want? That's just a recipe for a life of misery."

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I haven't cried over a video game, but I can't remember the last time I cried over anything else, either.

vercardo

Jan 26, 2013
As some people already posted above: the ending of Portal 2.

Also, Flower...
Yes, the pretty "I'm a flower petal drifting in the wind"-game... It doesn't stay pretty...

I guess in both cases it's the music and just the general atmosphere that is created, in combination with a deep (probably unhealthy) involvement in the game.

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
A few times so far, both from Persona games. The first time was the ending of Persona 3 FES, I'll be spoiler taggin' both of em' just in case.
When Makoto/Minato died on the roof of the school, the dialogue, Memories of You, Aigis' tears it all got me tearing up... I had to duck into the bathroom because I didn't want to cry in front of my brother.
And from Persona 4.
When Nanako died. I almost murdered Namatame's ass for it but my brother quickly intervened and advised me to spare him. I cried again when Nanako came back to life.
Lets see, also MGS3 and MGS4's endings. I actually stopped playing MGS for a brief period because of my grief!

Rocket Taco

Oct 9, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3 - It's been nearly a decade, I've seen it probably 15 times, and I still choke up just hearing the music. One of the truest, non-jingoistic expressions of patriotism (I don't care where you're from, still true) I've ever seen.

Bioshock Infinite - this game made me want to have children. True story. There's a moment near the end where Elizabeth is put in pain and... well, I'd never felt actual, genuine rage at a fictional character before. I executed the Comstock House surgeons for daring to put their hands on my girl. To have that ending after that kind of attachment... I'm still not sure if I'm heartbroken, or thrilled.

Final Fantasy X - I know, I know. But if you can get past the weird Japanese fashion sense, there's a fantastic classical tragedy underlying the game. I cried for the end, but came pretty close at the Sending and the spring too.

Shadow of the Colossus - I don't really know the reason with this one. It was powerful, sure, but not sad... Then again neither was BSI, really. I think the game just did a great job of drawing me into the character so I felt it more.

That's actually pretty impressive evidence for the power of games as a medium, actually, since the only movie that's ever done me in to tears was Black Hawk Down (oh god the music 0_0)

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I used to cry every time I beat a freaking game. I cried at the end of Spyro 3. >.>

However, as I've gotten older, that's lessened quite a bit. A few instances I can think of that are memorable:

Every time I hear "To Zanarkand" from the Final Fantasy X soundtrack, I tear up.

The intro and certain scenes during Bioshock Infinite caused me to tear up because of how beautiful it was.

Charr died. Oh my Ahura Mazda, why CHAR?

Also Mordin.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Only two games have made me tear up.

Telltale's The Walking Dead (Dat ending)
and
The Mass Effect series (tears of rage at the end and genuine tears everywhere else)

So yea... Specially when Tali put my name on the wall and bro Garrus was there and... (sniffle)

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Lost odyssey is the obvious one, because damn near every second beat in that game is a tearjerker.

One that hasn't had enough love yet is the ending to Minerva's Den
I know I catch a lot of heat for this, but Bioshock 2 is by far my favourite Bioshock, and Minerva's Den, in terms of both gameplay and story were utterly fantastic, but the entire final sequence of the game, and the final cutscene was incredibly heartwrenching, in a way that no other game, and certainly not infinite, has been able to manage

Of course, after that there is the fates of
Sgt A.J.Johnson (Halo 3)
And
Dominic Santiago (GoW 3)
That were really destructive to my sense of manly...manliness as I went through them and was reduced to manly tears, but nothing yet has topped Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den
Gods damn you Thinker