Poll: Has a game made you cry?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Sad makes me cry, happy makes me cry, bittersweet has me bawling like a baby. I even cry over games I don't like. It doesn't take much. I just generally cry a lot.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Cried a few times during Persona 4, When I was little I cried happily at the end of the Kingdom Hearts II, Cried during Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, cried during Far Cry 3 (don't judge) cried during Tomb Raider (2013), cried so many FUCKING TIMES during the entire Metal Gear Series, once in Rising, about five times in 4, two in 3, and at the end of Snake Eater.

I cry alot in games. It's bad.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I figure since almost nobody uses them, and the thread content is obviously going to be spoilers anyway, spoiler tags would be superfulous.

Baby tears when Galuf died in Final Fantasy V.
Mostly because of the circumstances.

Manly tears when the flashback scene between Sabin and Edgar with the coin happens in Final Fantasy VI.
When I first saw it, it was already in the world of ruin(after you use the coin on Setzer), so it had double the impact.
I still tend to get tear eyed when I trigger it on my numerous revisits of the title(or just think about it).

I miss the times when Final Fantasy could do that.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
Went through the entirety of Mother 3. Didn't shed a single tear.
No that's not crying.
That's eye sweat.
It's hot in here.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
There are two kinds of people in this world: those that have never cried at videogames, and those that have played "To the Moon."

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Gotta say the last in-game mission of Red Dead Redemption. All that hard work and... wow. I think the saddest part was after the ending. No resolution imo.
Do you mean John's last mission or his son's last mission?

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
The end of Red Dead Redemption definitely got me misty eyed, the song at the end being a nice touch. Definitely one of the few times I've been legitimately moved by a game. Pretty much...

I was just about in shock after John died, and then just went over as his son to pick up the last 'mission'. Just emotionlessly going around to track down the old guy that killed him, and then the moment when you finally kill him...it's just so easy. There's no explosions, no fireworks, no triumphant music. You just killed an old man fishing in the river and it brought no joy. John's dead, his wife's still dead, Uncle's still dead. And now you're completely free to roam around the world and do whatever you want now...but why? What's the point? I think that game brought me the closest to how I could ever actually feel getting revenge on someone and just how empty it would be. It was absolutely brilliant.

Mass Effect 3 ALMOST got me there, and then...well, not to belabor the point, but any emotional attachment I had went into plain bewilderment. And it wasn't because of the lack of a 'happy ending', RDR had an EXTREMELY depressing ending and I thought it was incredibly well done! There's a right way and a wrong way to do it, is all I can really say.

moondude

Apr 15, 2011
I cried at the end of the Tales of Symphonia. I was just so mind blown at that ending. It was the first time I've ever done that. Sadly I can't remember any other game that's done that to me before.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
The end of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

I knew it was coming, but it didn't stop it from hurting.

He deserved better.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Bastion at several points.
Portal 2, at the ending.
Mass Effect 3... Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

..Guild Wars.. that one still makes me sad. Tybalt, stupid cat being all brave.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
The end of Mass Effect 3 with the self-sacrifice ending.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, when Chrom is reunited with his daughter.

Towards the end of Final Fantasy VIII, when Squall and Rinoa are finally reunited safely aboard the Ragnarok.

At some point in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, but is was so long ago I don't remember why.

introverted_surd

May 7, 2012
I can't say that I've cried during a game. There were a few points where I felt emotional during the mass effects and dragon age 2 and had to stop playing but I've never cried during a game. I can't even think of a movie I've cried in.

Plenty of media makes me emotional but I can't think of any that has made me cry. That said I haven't played telltales the walking dead yet and am keen to see if it can break my preverable drought.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Final Fantasy Adventure a.k.a. Mystic Quest, which was actually an "...of Mana" game for the original Gameboy.

I cried when Amanda died.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Hmm, I can cry a lot in a good story
Mass Effect 3 during
Thane's death when his son reads that prayer, oh my god

The Walking Dead, Jesus Christ so much feels

Katawa Shoujo had some really sad moments too, hmm, what else...not sure, but I know there are more.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
When I finished SoulBlazer (SNES) for the first time. But I was 14 so that might have been hormones.

New Vegas too but that was just because the damn thing wouldn't work for 5 mins before crashing.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I can't even begin to name all the games that have gotten me to at least get a little teary eyed, and it can happen for multiple different reasons. As far as actually crying in a game, well, there are a few instances I can remember.

At the end when Lee and Clementine are debating about what she should do to him: kill him or let him turn into a zombie. To realize that this was the end of their time together and to see how much Clementine had to go through at her age was too much handle.

The stargazer scene. Basically, the Mass Effect menu theme playing as the father and son talked about Shepherd's story brought a flood of memories from what has got to be my favorite series in gaming. I tried not to because my brother was in the room, but I just couldn't hold back the tears. This wasn't the only scene in the game that did it, as I know I did at Rannoch and other places as well, but it was the most memorable to me.

The very end. In a complete reversal of what The Walking Dead did, this one got me to cry for joy. The journey was over, things looked optimistic, and everyone who had been transformed into cyborgs was able to live a normal life again. After spending over 150 hours in anticipation of what would happen after it was all over, not to mention that the game did an excellent job getting you to connect to all these characters and their world, it was a joy to finally see it all conclude wonderfully. Like Mass Effect 3, there were other moments, but this one got to me the most.

Those are the three I think of the most often. There are others, but none of them are as easy to remember, probably because they aren't as recent and I can't remember if I cried or just teared up a little.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I started tearing up at the end of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. That shit be hella depressing.