Poll: Have you, personally, ever been discriminated against?

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Umm... discriminated against at all, ever, for any reason? Yes. Everyone has. That's normal, and even a good thing.

I honestly kinda wonder if people even know what the word discriminate actually means anymore. Discriminating on the basis of irrational and unfair criteria is certainly not a good thing, but a world without any discrimination at all would be a very, very stupid world.

Keela

Aug 16, 2008
For being a geek in general. Watching anime, playing too many video games, being scrawny, and mostly for being nice to kids with little in the way of social skills. Hell, one of my best friends in elementary school had mild autism.

Usually, if I get screwed with, it's just stupid high school jocks and popular pricks messing with a Wild Nerd. Most of the time, I just give them a much wittier and more rapid response than they were expecting, and that shuts them up pretty quickly. My friends get picked on more than me most of the time.

Once or twice, punks have just thought that they could do whatever they wanted to me with zero consequences. When that happens, I do whatever I can to make friends, or if they just start off with the violence right away I just scare them off with a threat, a loud noise, or whatever else can scare off the simple minded idiots most of them are.

Only had to engage in fisties with two so far, so I'm counting my blessings!

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
As a BBC, I've been discriminated by Chinese people for being too English (I have the, what Oriental people call, 'Western eyes') and by the English for not being English enough (even though I speak it better than a lot of 'English' idiots I see about me...).
What does BBC stand for? British Broadcasting Channel is all I can come up with..."sigh" I suck at figuring out acronyms.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I'm a nerd. Not quite the basement-dweller type, but it makes up most of my already shitty existence. So people tell me that they think I'm a pathetic little shit whenever I speak up, or most of the time they simply completely ignore my existence. Now, I am a very violent person. I do my best not to step out of line, but I have often punched people in the face (or otherwise physically harmed) for insulting me. Combined with constant pressure, feeling of rejection, resentment, and well-founded self-hatred, I really, really fucking hate my life overall. The only reason I stick to it, is because I know damn well that it is the only fucking thing I'm ever gonna have.

Comieman

Jul 25, 2010
Because I play video games? Yes
Because I am bi? Yes
Because I used to be quite feminine? Yes
Because I view Bible as a Philosophy book, rather than must-live-by-it-cuz-its-the-law? Yes
Because I had a heavy Russian accent (not as heavy anymore) while being in states? Yes
Because I am not a big fan of pop music? Yes
Because I do not pick a political party but choose depending on current situation? Yes
Because I am an introvert? Yes

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I've been discriminated because of my:
Musical preference (Metal)
Love for Gaming
Choice of clothing
Appearance
Sexual deviance (I'm a pervert)

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
That was quite a sharp and unfair jab at you, just because you have faith. As do I, and I'm not blinded by it, I assume you are similarly placed. That was incredibly rude of them.

I'm a biology student, and have a keen interest in all the sciences, and have come up against some opposition by my peers for having faith. I simply don't take the bible as infallible fact, as it was written, and has been rewritten and translated many times, by people, many of whom were self-righteous and manipulative. I also have to make concessions for metaphor and simplicity too, in what I do believe has sustained (generally being, the more prevailing messages).

I mean, even the pope (not that I'm catholic, he's just a good example of highly fundamentalist faith), doesn't propagate the murder of people who work on Sundays. It's just deeply contradictory to much more important messages of love, compassion, hope.

Anyway, I've also come up against prejudice and ridicule because of my lifestyle. I have long hair, which has been the butt of quintillions of awful awful jokes from the ages of 13 to... now (19), and (escapist-cliche) I like metal music. I however have come up against more hurtful discrimination from friends for liking most other genres of music too, particularly hip-hop.

I don't complain generally about it though, it's quite trivial given the more persistent and zealous discriminatory hate in the world.

Captcha: call for help

O_O Guy stuck in a captcha machine?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
A Shadows Age said:
SckizoBoy said:
As a BBC, I've been discriminated by Chinese people for being too English (I have the, what Oriental people call, 'Western eyes') and by the English for not being English enough (even though I speak it better than a lot of 'English' idiots I see about me...).
What does BBC stand for? British Broadcasting Channel is all I can come up with..."sigh" I suck at figuring out acronyms.
'British Born Chinese' (or more specifically, 'British Born Cantonese'). Unless, as a BBC, you speak fluent Chinese and have the stereotypical Chinese appearance (which I don't, since I don't have slit eyes, am capable of growing decent facial hair despite being in my mid-twenties and am on the tall end of the Oriental height scale), the denizens of Chinatown will treat you like an aberration the moment you open your mouth.

Now, I speak English like Stephen Fry and Cantonese like Michelle Yeoh (fluently, but with a weird accent) so I get weird looks from literally everyone (Caucasians and Chinese alike) once I mix the languages I speak in (which I invariably have to when hanging out with friends in a Chinese restaurant). Just as well it doesn't happen much.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I have been discriminated against on the basis of my hair colour. Being ginger has never really helped, to be honest. You wouldn't think that people would be so discriminatory about hair colour these days, especially in Scotland, of all places, where ginger hair is more common than in other places, even if we're still a small minority when compared to other colours.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Because of race and lifestyle. I always thought that the kids in grade school teased me because I was short, but when I grew up I realized that it was because I was Asian. I was also one of the very few kids who liked anime and manga and everyone else looked down on that stuff.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that pretty much everyone in my upper secondary school watched anime.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
Being an athiest, polyamorous, butch, pansexual, male-to-female transsexual, with liberal views, as well as being part of several minorities (Native Canadian, Ukrainian) Alongside being fat, I've been discriminated against in every form you've mentioned, often in more than one way. Do I win?

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Age, Lifestyle, Intellect, Height... Generally things where the hate becomes before the arbitrary rulings of what's unacceptable in society.

Almost certainly had my grades lowered at various times due to my handwriting.

drifter92

Mar 17, 2010
Yes. I'm half Romanian, half Hungarian. Idiots from Romania hate me because I'm a dirty Hungarian. Idiots from Hungary hate me because I'm a dirty Romanian.

And I'm also looked down upon for playing video games. But I think that's normal in a society that can't do more with computers than start them and go on Facebook. "Oh, you play 3 hours a day."; "Yeah, and you spend 5 hours a day taking pictures of yourself and being an attention wh*** on Facebook"...

And it's not that I'm playing video games, because some still play age old CS 1.6 or some FIFA game. The problem is that I play Battlefield, and I spend "enormous amounts of money" on my computer. Well, let's just say I prefer putting my money into something more useful than getting p*** drunk or going to the tanning salon.

And yes, some people pick on my physical appearance for being slim and tall.

chris_ninety1

Feb 23, 2011
I've often been mocked, albeit in jest (most of the time at least) for being, well... ginger apparently, though it's hardly THAT ginger. There's a reddish tint in there, but not much else. Also for being part German. The 'you killed all the Jews' jokes get a bit tiresome sometimes, even if they're not meant maliciously.

A Shadows Age said:
What does BBC stand for? British Broadcasting Channel is all I can come up with.
Just a side point as it's a very easy assumption to make, it's British Broadcasting Corporation.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
The story is too long, so I'll give you the point:
GLBT activists can be just as nasty to you if they, for some reason, think you will help them, but you don't

Oh, and being rather German looking in a highly Jewish school isn't the best of things.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
There should be an option for all of the above. But I suppose "sexual preference" would be the one I usually encounter.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
I'm a Pagan. Gotten shut out of chat rooms because people are intolerant douche bags.

Also I've gotten a lot of shit on my YouTube channel because I'm a red head. Seriously. WHAT THE FUCK?!