Poll: Have you, personally, ever been discriminated against?

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
I'm mexican, so... yes. Many, many times (Sometimes even by other mexicans XD). Also, I'm an atheist who lives in a community full of religious people.

But nothing really serious, so far. Just the usual ignorant things racist people say and think I'm affected by it.

espada1311

Sep 19, 2010
Oh, where to start? I was first discriminated by teachers and classmates since kindergarten, because i was a few months younger than everyone else (being born in November let me in at 4 when everyone else was 5) therefore i MUST be the "stupid little kid" of the classes. Then i got crap because i was fat, not "obese" fat but a "you cant really hide it" fat. So i then started judo to loose weight and because i enjoyed it, but as it turns out, unless you play hockey or soccer, you aren't cool and therefore you must be a freak (yes, i was discriminated because i played a different sport, go figure). Then in high school i got crap from kids and even teachers because i was smart (more street-smart then school-smart but that still allowed me to provide several mind fucks a day) I may also add that i went to school in an Italian neighborhood, so everyone was slightly less intelligent than the people you see on jersey shore, even the teachers. Finally, i had recently came out as gay to several people, and a lot of them stopped talking to be for fear of, and this is word for word, "catching the fag disease".

So yeah, i don't know much about this discrimination thing :p

I think there should have been an "all of the above" option, i had difficulty telling which one i should put down :D

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Yeah I've never acted "black" enough for the black people and dont fit in with SOME whites because of the color of my skin.

Also the atheletes of my high school were treated differently than the rest of the students. They were allowed to skip infront of everyone in lunch lines and having their grades bumped up so they could play and bring more money into the school.

And atleast 3 times since I've been in college I've been stopped on the road while walking to the library by people trying to buy drugs.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Yes. How dare you not serve me alcohol this is ageist! (I was 17 at the time :p)

Seriously not really.
I've had people yell at me for the long hair but for most of school I hung out with the goth/rocker looking people who listened to Trivium and Bullet while I kinda looked normal'ish and wasn't really into that music, so they got most of the crap from other people and not many people bothered me.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
A Shadows Age said:
SckizoBoy said:
As a BBC, I've been discriminated by Chinese people for being too English (I have the, what Oriental people call, 'Western eyes') and by the English for not being English enough (even though I speak it better than a lot of 'English' idiots I see about me...).
What does BBC stand for? British Broadcasting Channel is all I can come up with..."sigh" I suck at figuring out acronyms.
'British Born Chinese' (or more specifically, 'British Born Cantonese'). Unless, as a BBC, you speak fluent Chinese and have the stereotypical Chinese appearance (which I don't, since I don't have slit eyes, am capable of growing decent facial hair despite being in my mid-twenties and am on the tall end of the Oriental height scale), the denizens of Chinatown will treat you like an aberration the moment you open your mouth.

Now, I speak English like Stephen Fry and Cantonese like Michelle Yeoh (fluently, but with a weird accent) so I get weird looks from literally everyone (Caucasians and Chinese alike) once I mix the languages I speak in (which I invariably have to when hanging out with friends in a Chinese restaurant). Just as well it doesn't happen much.
Well that's some bullshit. But try to look at it this way, your experiences while uncomfortable are very interesting, at least to someone like me anyway. What I mean is you can have a perspective on things other people (like me) just can't, even if we tried. Besides your english accent might be different than your spelling, but the way you spell and your use of grammar is of a greater proficiency than most idiots who can only understand one language, much less two, (ammunition for arguing with the less intelligent denizens and limeys) so chin up your twice as competent as most of them. The trick is finding the more intelligent individuals with open minds to be around, then the fun really starts.

Of course I am a American so maybe I don't quite appreciate the difficulty your going through. What I mean is I am the descendant of Norwegians, Germans, Brits, possibly some Cherokee mixed together with who knows what else, I have cousins that are of Scandinavian, Spanish, Native south American descent all mixed together... In my country it's normal to look around and see all different types of cultures and people of different ethnicity. The point I am trying to make is to not let the assholes and bigots get you down, your just ahead of the curve...

Also thanks, never would of figured out what the hell that acronym meant.

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
I when asked, said i was atheist, holy fuck! who else knew I was an arrogant, naive, Ignorant buffoon! but I got over it.
Also, captcha is: dish fit for the gods

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
i can't choose one cause there are three up there i've been discriminated against for being/doing/believing.
i'm a white guy, nothing special, but suprisingly well hated.
growing up i was the youngest of 4, i had 3 older sisters who literally HATE me and abused me when i was young for being a boy. at school i was one of the few "Crackas" and i would be harassed and bullied for being the white guy. when i got to highschool, after moving to Roanoke VA, i thought that was behind me.... WRONG!!!! i was harassed constantly for my religious beliefs and for having long hair... oh well, i harbor no animosity for any of those people, one of the "perks" i suppose of being taoist.
this saying helped me a lot during my formative years;

"When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
My father was a minkfarmer (someone who turns minks into furcoats).

You can imagine how well that went over back in elementary school.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
A Shadows Age said:
Well that's some bullshit. But try to look at it this way, your experiences while uncomfortable are very interesting, at least to someone like me anyway. What I mean is you can have a perspective on things other people (like me) just can't, even if we tried. Besides your english accent might be different than your spelling, but the way you spell and your use of grammar is of a greater proficiency than most idiots who can only understand one language, much less two, (ammunition for arguing with the less intelligent denizens and limeys) so chin up your twice as competent as most of them. The trick is finding the more intelligent individuals with open minds to be around, then the fun really starts.

Of course I am a American so maybe I don't quite appreciate the difficulty your going through. What I mean is I am the descendant of Norwegians, Germans, Brits, possibly some Cherokee mixed together with who knows what else, I have cousins that are of Scandinavian, Spanish, Native south American descent all mixed together... In my country it's normal to look around and see all different types of cultures and people of different ethnicity. The point I am trying to make is to not let the assholes and bigots get you down, your just ahead of the curve...

Also thanks, never would of figured out what the hell that acronym meant.
Wow, that's quite an ancestry... anyway, thanks for the comment, much appreciated. Still, I've toughened up over the years, and these days most of my friends don't really care and I ignore the judgmental crap I get from people in that neck of the woods as I am under absolutely no obligation to respond or care.

Thinking about it, though, it's even worse for a few of my friends who are not ethnically Chinese, but speak fluent Chinese, nonetheless. Unfortunately, Chinese people are just as racist as any other ethnicity (if not more so), so when they see other people not Chinese that they don't like the look of, they'll start insulting them in Chinese. Now, one of my friends was called (not sure how to anglicise, but I'll try) a 'fei gwei loh' (which literally means 'fat foreign devil'), only he understood it perfectly. How the hell was he supposed to react that?!

Anyway, /mini-rant

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I've been politically discriminated against. I am a Democrat but live in a very Republican area.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
AdeptaSororitas said:
Hello my dear Escapees, your friendly Sister of Battle here.

So I've noticed that a lot of people in the world, and particularly on this site have a whole host of unique opinions and lifestyles, so through a long winding train of thought I began wondering if anyone of them had ever been discriminated against due to their beliefs, gender, lifestyle or even race.
I'm disabled, most of the time I have to walk with a stick (the rest of the time I can't walk at all) I've heard people mutter behind my back before (apparently the inability to walk also makes you deaf) but the most shocking discrimination came recently when I went to see HP & the deathly hallows part two. A guy rushed past me as he was "sick of being stuck behind the fucking cripple" (his words) and knocked me to the floor, my friend and one of the cinema attendants helped me to my feet, I thanked the attendant who then told me that I should wait for everyone else to be seated before going in. I complained and said that I didn't want a seat right in front of the screen, to which he replied that "maybe you should stay at home then, and wait for it on DVD"
Sometimes I want to hit people, this was a time I wanted to stamp on peoples heads!

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
chris_ninety1 said:
I've often been mocked, albeit in jest (most of the time at least) for being, well... ginger apparently, though it's hardly THAT ginger. There's a reddish tint in there, but not much else. Also for being part German. The 'you killed all the Jews' jokes get a bit tiresome sometimes, even if they're not meant maliciously.

A Shadows Age said:
What does BBC stand for? British Broadcasting Channel is all I can come up with.

Just a side point as it's a very easy assumption to make, it's British Broadcasting Corporation.
Ahh right thanks, I always forget that.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
I'm white and grew up in a town where the aboriginals activly hated anyone white. I had flagons and racial insults thrown at me everyday riding to school.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I'm a white male living in the US. Of course I have.

(College scholarships? WHAT college scholarships?)

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Being a christian ive been discriminated all my time and i have no idea why, i mean i live life the same as every one else,

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
Being a gamer ("sloppy, naive, nerdy"), atheist ("a bad person"), and a grower of long hair ("dirty, like a hobo") amongst other things, I have to answer with yes.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
I'm a white, Christian male. Discrimination in the workplace, and in scholarships, is quite prevalent against me. If I go up against a male of any other race and religion, or a female of any race and religion, it doesn't matter if I'm twice as good, I'll get turned down because the company has mandatory "diversification" quotas to fill, or because the scholarship applies to anybody but my demographic. I'm happy I've never been truly attacked, verbally or physically, for who I am, but if I can't land a job it'll kind of be difficult to support myself.

In my opinion, companies who worry about "diversity" are bad. Companies shouldn't have to worry about race/gender when hiring, they should only have to worry about hiring the best person for the job. If that means a company is made up entirely of white males, then the company should be able to rest easy knowing it has the best workforce possible. If that means the company is made up entirely of people who are entirely unique in their race/gender combo, then the company can still rest easy knowing it has the best workforce possible. Yet the all white male company will be attacked by everybody, whereas the other company would be a "shining example of diversity in the workplace." It gets old. It is still racism, yet people don't seem to understand that bit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
As a libertarian, I get ripped on constantly because most people seem to think it's only a left or right world. I don't care all that much though, most of them are ignorant jackasses who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. God forbid someone should be anti war, pro choice, while simultaneously finding extreme faults with the welfare and social security systems in the US.

Also, I am a big white guy with a shaved head, when the whole skin head craze blew up again about 10 years ago, everyone thought I was a hater. People in a group think environment are all completely stupid.

I'm also Buddhist, and one time this guy laughed at me because I quoted Buddha about a certain situation. It was CRAZY!

Also, as a white male, I am discriminated against for help with my college education. There are no groups out there that help someone in my situation. I'm not rich, I don't come from an affluent family, and have had to rely almost solely on myself over the years. It's made me stronger, but I would be in a much better situation right now if I wasn't discriminated against for scholarships, student aid, etc.

MazdaXR

Mar 16, 2011
In todays current economic climate if you are 18-24yr old male looking for a job you are constantly discriminated against.