Poll: How do you feel about interracial marriages?

Commonly Confused

Jan 30, 2012
I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this topic a few days ago. Her mother is against interracial marriage but claims she is not racist. My friend explained that her mother's view of it is like this:

She likes all races equally but just does not think that they should mix. For example, she loves cats and she loves dogs equally, but would not want them to mix.

Now I understand that there is plenty wrong with her response. No, I do not believe that she was trying to belittle human worth by comparing us to animals. And no, it is irrelevant which one she thinks is a dog and which is a cat.

I do think that her sentence made sense however. I can see how people can hold that belief and not be racist against one or another group of people while still being opposed to the idea of them being together, pointless as it may be.

I still think it is sad that people feel that way but to me, it is a little easier to understand than what I have ever before heard.

Feb 9, 2011
I'm for them considering there is nothing bad about them. Bad people make bad marriages, not the race of those who marry. Anyone who says otherwise is unbelievably stupid.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
My interest tends outside my 'race' about half the time - not that there's a quota or anything, just so far it's averaged out that way.

Curious as to how you're defining race - is it in broad strokes (caucasian, asian, etc.) or thin strokes (Irish, Albanian, Ukrainian, Japanese)?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
As with most things I take the general idea that ?If it does not break my arm nor pick my pocket; what is it to me?"

In other words I don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't negatively effect me in any way.

Yeah there are cultural difficulties that can occur in these situations. But that's to be expected regardless of race.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Here is the final results to the poll question:
Our marriage is interracial - 3.43%
I'm against them - 43.49%
They can work, but it's difficult - 24.90%
I'm all for them - 28.18%

Just makes me sad and confused. Where do you get the idea that a relationship with someone of a different culture is bad?

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:

Just makes me sad and confused. Where do you get the idea that a relationship with someone of a different culture is bad?
Is the Tallahassee region/state/whatever it is known for being racist or religious or generally ignorant? What's the general consensus regarding homosexual couples and the like? And do you have any knowledge of your largest listeners demographic? All of these things should help explain why your poll results are so fucked.

I see no problem with any kind of relationship, so yeah, that's kind of saddening. Like other commenters, I also see no point in Marriage. Your relationship with your significant other doesn't dramatically change once you say "I accept the terms and conditions". Why does a piece of paper from the state/church declare your love for the other person? If you get married for religious reasons, I understand that, and am fine with it, but when it's not for religious reasons it seems a little pointless...

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It might be a result of your location or what demographic your news station appeals to.

Personally, my parents are a married interracial couple. That should speak for itself in regards to my opinion.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Palfreyfish said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

Is the Tallahassee region/state/whatever it is known for being racist or religious or generally ignorant? What's the general consensus regarding homosexual couples and the like? And do you have any knowledge of your largest listeners demographic? All of these things should help explain why your poll results are so fucked.

I see no problem with any kind of relationship, so yeah, that's kind of saddening. Like other commenters, I also see no point in Marriage. Your relationship with your significant other doesn't dramatically change once you say "I accept the terms and conditions". Why does a piece of paper from the state/church declare your love for the other person? If you get married for religious reasons, I understand that, and am fine with it, but when it's not for religious reasons it seems a little pointless...
Tallahassee itself is a major college area. Lots of young adults. So Tallahassee it self is somewhat tolerant, but most of the rest of the demographic is small towns. Lots of farms and fields, 1 grocery store towns. So yes I do realize there tends to be more ignorant in areas that are not exposed to a large cultural base such as you see in a small community.

Doesn't make any it less depressing.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:
Palfreyfish said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

Tallahassee itself is a major college area. Lots of young adults. So Tallahassee it self is somewhat tolerant, but most of the rest of the demographic is small towns. Lots of farms and fields, 1 grocery store towns. So yes I do realize there tends to be more ignorant in areas that are not exposed to a large cultural base such as you see in a small community.

Doesn't make any it less depressing.
What sort of radio station is it as well, does it play music that young people will like? Also part of the reason for the depressing results could be that the young people simply cannot be bothered to vote. I think if you went out and asked people in the street you'd get a more accurate view of what people think.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Palfreyfish said:
What sort of radio station is it as well, does it play music that young people will like? Also part of the reason for the depressing results could be that the young people simply cannot be bothered to vote. I think if you went out and asked people in the street you'd get a more accurate view of what people think.
Its not a radio station is a CBS affiliate broadcast station. I suppose you could classify our station as a family friendly aimed semi-democratic station.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:
Palfreyfish said:
Its not a radio station is a CBS affiliate broadcast station. I suppose you could classify our station as a family friendly aimed semi-democratic station.
That's the reason I think the polls are skewed, simply because your main listener demographic is most likely stay at home mothers and old people (assuming this poll was announced in the middle of the day). They are the most likely candidates for voters in radio polls.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Blablahb said:
Well, I used to know some people...
That makes more sense. I am from originally up north. We used to poke fun at our races for fun. No one was really hurt, because we all knew we were kidding. But down here, the racism can be so real.

I've run into a lot of black racist people since I've come down here. Just the slightest comment can set them off. I listen to comments about how white people have is so easy and continually try to keep the blacks from succeeding in life. How we are all racist, etc.

I think its called reverse racism, but it can get to you. I realized one day I myself was becoming racist towards blacks because of my interaction with them down here. I had to stop myself because I wasn't liking what I heard come out of my mouth. I can see other people not catching it quick enough and start to hate a specific race based on a handful of unfriendly confrontations.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
Love is love, man. Love doesn't care about race, financial status, sexual orientation, etc, etc... I don't see why anyone would be against interracial marriages, it isn't as if one race is superior to the other. The old ways need to die out.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
Wow. I really hate stereotypes, I love it when they're proved wrong. I believe about 99% of stereotypes are false and were never true.
When they seem to be accurate it makes me want to cry.
Nearly 50% of your listener's are opposed to mixed race couples? Is this 19fucking12? I am never ever ever going to Tallahassee.

CODE-D said:
A woman having sex with a guy from another race because hes better at sex because of his race, that kinda grinds my gears.
what the hell are you talking about?

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Socially and in the short term (my life time), I'm for them
Genetically, in the long run, I would be against them. If we don't want one type of human race, then we need to have some kind of selective breeding in the far future.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
Blablahb said:
Well, I used to know some people...
That makes more sense. I am from originally up north. We used to poke fun at our races for fun. No one was really hurt, because we all knew we were kidding. But down here, the racism can be so real.

I've run into a lot of black racist people since I've come down here. Just the slightest comment can set them off. I listen to comments about how white people have is so easy and continually try to keep the blacks from succeeding in life. How we are all racist, etc.

I think its called reverse racism, but it can get to you. I realized one day I myself was becoming racist towards blacks because of my interaction with them down here. I had to stop myself because I wasn't liking what I heard come out of my mouth. I can see other people not catching it quick enough and start to hate a specific race based on a handful of unfriendly confrontations.
You don't hate them because they're black, you hate them because they're racists that happen to be black.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
As the product of an interracial marriage, I am all for them, believe me. Can they work? Given my parents 30+ year stable relationship, yes, they can work and work rather well. The only reasons why anyone would oppose them is out of some strange fear that it will create a "one world race" which isn't likely and wouldn't cause any real harm to our species (it wouldn't eliminate genetic diversity - it would reduce diversity, but since genes recombine and intertwine and even mutate during fertilization, it wouldn't get rid of genetic diversity) and the fear that it would prove very racist theories as false. While there are minor genetic differences between races, they aren't anything to write home about.

I am as human as anyone else - which means that my parents are as human as anyone else. Which means that their respective races are as human as any other race. I've spent enough time around my father's family and my mother's family and their respective cultures to know that they're not really that different - not really, when you get right down to it. Then again, there never really was that much difference between Western and Chinese cultures - at least not nowadays.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
There was no option for "sexy" so I just voted for, "I'm all for it".

There can be problems that arise, not usually from the couples but family and friends who surround them. Pressure from random strangers is rarely a major concern but there can be the odd instance.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Look, heres the thing about interracial marriages and relationships in general - lets say a white man sees a white woman with a black man. 90% of the time its going to make him feel uncomfortable and jealous. (This is scientifically proven, by the way, so argue with the people that do these studies before you come call me a nazi again for being realistic.)

I suspect thats the reason you have anyone against them. I cant think of one good, proper, rational reason. Must be some deep seated instinct.

If you want to hear the thoughts of someone who is against them, you are probably better off on other websites. If anyone here actually admits to be against them, he will be banned, his post will be deleted and a mob will burn his house down.
This is pretty much why you almost never see a black lead paired with a white woman on the silver screen. It's always a black woman or a latino woman (a compromise, to appeal to white men).

I will be honest, personally I'm against it. I know it's "wrong", but my head refuses to change it's opinion. I think the reason is that I'm just not attracted to women outside my ethic group and when someone ninjas one of them, I see it as my potential pool of suiters shrinking - guys in my ethnic group getting girls are fine of course, by get a girl he gives up the others in the same pool I'm targeting.