Poll: How would you punish a rapist?

Dec 14, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Those people are the ones I say need to be eliminated in as painful a way as possible to dissuade others.
This is what worries me.

You advocate the torture of prisoners.

You condemn the acts of a rapist, but are perfectly willing to inflict pain on others, judging by your posts, in rather sadistic ways.

That displays a lack of empathy and symptoms of sociopathic behaviour, and as such, you must be imprisoned and then killed so that you have no chance of harming anyone.

See where I'm going with this?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
For the record, I agree Dale should be in jail for what he did. But I also don't think he's evil for what he did. He went overboard in his anger and grief.

That said, if someone raped my sister or my girlfriend, the violence I would inflict upon them would cause God to look away in horror. I would be willing to go to jail. But some things cannot be forgiven. Sometimes forgiveness or even the ability to forget takes more strength than a person has.
Well, I am just relieved we do not have people such as yourself in authority and law-making. It'd be a quick trip back to the middle ages if we did.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Depending on the rape itself, (i.e. was it just an age difference thing, so it's legally rape, or a person forcing sex acts on another) depends on what I think the punishment should be. If the former, then incarceration if the latter, then I feel execution is the most appropriate response.

To be fair, I am bias toward the victim when it comes to rape since I know a good number of people who have been raped at some point in their lives.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
zzkill said:
I haven't read the answers before mine, but to throw in my two cents, I chose Rehabilitation, but I need to add something: CASTRATION! You can't keep your sexual desires under control? Then you're better without it. I'm not sure about the penis itself, but the testes can go to the swines for all I care. I think it has been done before, and eunuchs existed since ancient times, most common in the Ottoman Empire, the guards and male harem caretakers. And the rehabilitation afterwards for integration in society.

This falls in line somewhat with my view on killing other people. You can do it, sure, it's your choice, but don't expect to have a hold onto your own life afterwards. You take a life, you forfeit yours, no bitching if someone does the same to you.
Unfortunately it's not as simple as removing their ability to have sex. It's a common misconception that rape is all about sexual desire, but at the core it's the psychological desire for dominance over someone. Cutting off someones genitals doesn't resolve that, it just removes one avenue to accomplishing it and forces them to take another one. Castration doesn't turn rapists into productive members of society, it turns them into torturers and killers.

Regarding my own opinion, I find it more than a little disappointing when people assume that prison is some kind of day spa where convicted criminals go to sip wine and eat steak dinners. Clearly people with this impression have never actually been behind bars for any significant period of time, either that or they were slap-on-the-wrist youth offenders. I've had coworkers who were ex-cons, and the absolute last thing on their to-do lists is returning to prison. A stint in a properly run correctional facility is a deeply life-altering experience, and the majority of people come out of it either genuinely rehabilitated or at least utterly terrified of doing anything that could send them back there.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
knight steel said:
Oh thats good I'm glad ^_^
[sub] Perhaps a better choice of words next time[sub]we really need a gender neutral term[/sub] just a suggestion[/sub]
Question:Would your punishment still apply to female rapist's
Male or female, if you raped and traumatized another human being, you deserve the worst humanity can offer.
Yay for no double standard sexist hypocrisy-it's so refreshing to hear you say that both are just as bad :D
[sub]although you scare me a little bit[/sub][sub][sub]please don't hurt me[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]I'll be good[/sub][/sub][/sub]

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Pulp Fiction.

I assume you know what i mean. If not, go educate yourself and then consider what happens to the rapist in that film. Thats what I would I would punish a rapist. Or to be more precise, how I would have a rapist punished, I probably wouldn't do the 'punishing' myself.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
A person can do terrible, horrifying things to others, but in failing to try and understand what led a person to do such things, that is also a crime against education and understanding.

Understanding something allows us to combat it, and it allows us to rehabilitate those who commit such crimes.
Your sentence will make me think about my own answer and way of thinking, since I respect education and understanding a lot.
However, what to do with the feeling that the criminals seem to be getting off the hook easily? Along with myself, I see a lot of people that feel like this when they see abominable crimes such as rape, torture and murder being "punished" with just some time off from society (assuming we improve our prisons to rehabilitate criminals by educating them while preventing them from causing more harm; since there are also people that just want them to go to jail to be raped by other prisoners, beaten up by guards, have a nasty life full of pain and misery, etc).
Although, in my country, no matter how horrible your crime was, you'll spend 30 years in prison at best (and maybe get off sooner if you behave nicely while in jail), so that's another reason for the feeling of impunity...

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
knight steel said:
Oh thats good I'm glad ^_^
[sub] Perhaps a better choice of words next time[sub]we really need a gender neutral term[/sub] just a suggestion[/sub]
Question:Would your punishment still apply to female rapist's
Male or female, if you raped and traumatized another human being, you deserve the worst humanity can offer.
Which makes the presecuter as bad, who has then to be presecuted by someone, who has then to be presecuted...

Basing your justice system on revenge is immoral. Also current justice systems are not able to do it correctly. If only 1 innocent guy/girl gets tortured/neutered/murdered by the state it's all for naught.
Because then you just made someone who works for the state murder/mutilate an innocent person.

That can not be the answer.

Dec 14, 2009
For the worst crimes, you shouldn't get more than one chance. I advocate violence against the worst humanity can offer. This kind of thing should only ever be done to those who deserve it. As in you have overwhelming evidence that they did it. Heresay or circumstantial evidence means you do nothing.
Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, people have still been later found to be innocent.

The idea of sexually assaulting another human makes me physically ill, but theoretically if I did, I expect their loved ones to do to me exactly what I advocated here.
You advocate the torture of prisoners because if you committed such a crime, you wouldn't mind it happening to you? Well that sure convinced me! ¬_¬

But if there is even a shred of doubt they did anything wrong, you do nothing.
Watch this.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Yay that means I'm safe *phew* for a second there I was worried [well not really but it makes for good humor] your avatar is cute is that you cosplaying as medusa or someone else :)

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
Amaury_games said:
Daystar Clarion said:
A person can do terrible, horrifying things to others, but in failing to try and understand what led a person to do such things, that is also a crime against education and understanding.

Understanding something allows us to combat it, and it allows us to rehabilitate those who commit such crimes.
Your sentence will make me think about my own answer and way of thinking, since I respect education and understanding a lot.
However, what to do with the feeling that the criminals seem to be getting off the hook easily? Along with myself, I see a lot of people that feel like this when they see abominable crimes such as rape, torture and murder being "punished" with just some time off from society (assuming we improve our prisons to rehabilitate criminals by educating them while preventing them from causing more harm; since there are also people that just want them to go to jail to be raped by other prisoners, beaten up by guards, have a nasty life full of pain and misery, etc).
Although, in my country, no matter how horrible your crime was, you'll spend 30 years in prison at best (and maybe get off sooner if you behave nicely while in jail), so that's another reason for the feeling of impunity...
I think the issue here is that you consider prison to be "getting off easy". Most ex-cons will tell you that thirty years in a correctional facility is not "just some time off from society", even if it's properly run. Actually, especially if it's properly run. I'd recommend talking to people who spent a lot of time on the inside, the ones I've met have no intention of ever again doing anything to risk going back.

Dec 14, 2009
Amaury_games said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I'm not claiming that current systems are perfect, far from it, but considering that large percentage of prisoners suffer from some specification of learning disorder, there needs to be more done on the rehabilitation front.

Do we punish the sick now?

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Guess I'd go with option A with imprisonment. I can't even begin to state why any other option is a bad idea.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
My answer would likely get me banned and possibly arrested. In short: a lot of acid, cheese graters, bicycle pumps, and only after the rapist has suffered more than every human combined will I permit him to kill himself with a rusty razor.

Speak how it has no place in a civil society, people like that have no place there either. Violence is an effective deterrent. If others know what will happen if they are caught, they will be MUCH less likely to do it.

"Shoot them if they break the law. In fact, shoot one now, so that they get the message loud and clear."
The British Parliament back in the 18th Century had a similar ethos, in response to rising crime rates, particularly of crimes that were often associated with violence, such as smuggling and highway robbery. There reaction to this was known as The Bloody Code, which essentially issued the death penalty for pretty much everything there was a law against at the time, with the aim of scaring the populace into line.

It didn't work.

Violent criminals were still able to operate with impunity, because even though being caught meant the hangman's noose, there was little chance of them being caught in the first place and half of them were starving anyway. Things actually got better for criminals, because now the public was so disgusted by The Bloody Code that innocent bystanders would now go out of their way to protect the lawbreakers from the authorities. On the occasions when they were caught, the public hangings only served as an attraction for pick-pockets and other petty criminals, flouting the law right in front of the grizzly example that was supposed to be being set for them.

While not all the conditions that contributed to the abject failure of The Bloody Code to deter crime are applicable here, it is only one of many examples throughout history that serve to prove what you say is total rubbish. Brutal punishments do not act as a deterrent, certainly not on their own. The sort of conditions a rapist can expect to receive inside the prison systems of most nations is already rather barbaric, and yet rape is still widespread. Why? Because so many cases of rape go unreported, and even then so many of those that are don't result in a conviction. The small chance of actually having to face any kind of punishment makes it a risk worth taking for the potential rapist, no matter how painful or undignified the punishment in question might be.

Better education on the nuances of consent during are formative years, a better and more widely understood set of laws determining what is and isn't rape, and a police force that reaches out to potential victims, and is better equipped to catch and convict the guilty parities. These are the things we need to stop rapists, before we even get to discussing what punishment they should receive. Even then, we shouldn't on principle stoop to barbarism.