Poll: How would you punish a rapist?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Rapists and molesters have no place in society, they chose to act like savage animals and so they should be treated like other rabid beasts. If there is no shadow of a doubt as to guilt, then yeah they should be evicted from society. cant see why we should take care of anti social elements in society.

perhaps a one strike and you are out, permanently.

Edit: Or chemical and physical castration if they are just excluded and not killed, preferably without anaesthetic.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I am for the castration option.

If you cannot use it responsibly, you shouldn't have it!

And for the people who say imprisonment, prison is only bad for child molesters. Given that rape actually happens in prison, do you really think the other inmates give two shits about a rapist. And how do prisons rehabilitate anyway? That is one thing I have never been able to comprehend...

locok1

Jan 29, 2012
'Eye for an eye' is nothing more than a buzzword used by people to justify and legitimise taking the most expedient option while still seeming like a better person. If you act in the same way as someone else you're not better than them, whether you've got the backing of the law or not.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
Rawberry101 said:
Anyone who answers that it should be a capital offense isn't quite thinking this through. Say you just raped somebody, and if you're caught you get a death sentence, what do you do????? I mean come on, the number one and likely only witness is right there and in maybe the most vulnerable position in their lives.....

See what I'm getting at? If rape was a capital punishment then rapists would actually have incentive to kill their victim to get off.
Pretty much this. Thankfully a lot of people who make laws understand this. If we subject rapists to anything cruel or mallicious or death they would do ANYTHING to avoid that fate. Like kill their victim without a second thought. If they know its bad now, but would be WORSE if they kill their victim, they have motivation to leave their victim alive. So lets say we make rape/murder together a capitol punishment and JUST rape a life sentence. Now rapists wont have absolutely zero reasons not to murder their victims.
sigh I forgot about this fact in my anger. You are both right, and I wish I could vote differently. However I still believe that exclusion or banishment from society should be an option somehow. its infuriating to have them behind bars well fed and clothed.
The second option of torture as punishment might also give incentive for the criminals to kill the victim, instead of discouraging the anti social behaviour.

My solution would be to take away their civic rights as human beings, and instead use them as beasts of burden, or medical/scientific testing. At least get some use out of them.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
So, I'm just going to throw this out here and we'll see how people react:

How about castration?

Thoughts?
I concur. But only on the second strike. Problem with rape is, its you usually have to take someones word for it.

Liquidcool

Jun 5, 2010
A public flogging I say. Also, I believe that a victim has a right to retribution, even if you don't think it's "for the best."

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Imprisonement and rehabilitation, because I find that it is better to rehabilitate than to simply punish.

Also, not all rapists are male.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
This made me think back to Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Spike had a chip put in his head that would cause him pain any time he tried to hurt a human. If only there was something in the real world that could do the same thing, but triggered whenever rape is involved. The person could be rehabilitated without taking up space in prison and the rehab would happen for as long as it takes for them to realize "I don't feel good whenever I do this" and finally stop.

Victims may never get the satisfaction of knowing the person who traumatized them was locked up or put down, but it's better than killing someone just because the victim cried rape when they changed their mind after a (consentual) one night stand.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
While my spine is shrieking in pleasure at thought of murdering rapists in slowest and most painful way possible
My brain suppresses it
Why?
Because world is shit, that's why
Laws are flawed and can be exploited by courts
Judges, prosecutors and lawyers are flawed and can be influenced by society
Society is flawed and can be manipulated by media
And media is interested in providing exciting story rather than saying the truth
Not to mention false rape accusations, change of mind after consensual sex, women being unable of rape according to law in most countries, and BS like that
In 99% of cases we can't be sure what really happened
Nobody can, besides those involved, and usually at least one of them is lying
And once you have killed someone there is no way back[sub][sub]... at least until my world domination plan is done[/sub][/sub]

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
So, I'm just going to throw this out here and we'll see how people react:

How about castration?

Thoughts?
Prison, with castration a mandatory condition of release/parole.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Imprisonment, not necessarily rehabilitation.

Because I believe that a civil society ought to be, y'know, civilized.

-Addendum-

To the castration clique: what about women rapists, or rape that did not include a penis?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well, it depends what kind of "rapist" you mean.

If you're talking about some douchebag fratboy who has drunken sex with a passed-out drunk girl at some teen party, which is technically rape even if she might have consented if conscious, then I'd vote for imprisonment and rehabilitation to teach him that that kind of shit is not on.

If, however, you're talking about some lowlife piece of scum who tracks down isolated women, brutalises them and violates them as a display of mysognyistic power, then I'd say kill him and be done with it. Someone who can so consciously and callously do something so dehumanising (unlike murder where there are things like self-defence pleas, there is NO possible defence that can used for rape) is a monster and I've always had the same opinion on how to treat monsters- strip them of their human rights and put them down the same way you would a rabid animal.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
locok1 said:
'Eye for an eye' is nothing more than a buzzword used by people to justify and legitimise taking the most expedient option while still seeming like a better person.
Contrary to popular belief, lex talionis (ie. "Eye for an eye") is a call for restraint of excessive punishment.

Back when the punishment for stealing was to lob off a hand, invoking "Eye for an eye" would be saying, "Did he cut off your hand? No? Well, you can't cut off his hand. He merely stole monetary sum, so you'll be compensated a monetary sum."

Similarly, when applied to this situation, "Did the rapist mutilate their victim? No? Well, you can't mutilate the rapist."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
IMHO, while it's all very well to talk of harsher punishments, it's a greater conviction rate that's needed most.

However, there's a lot of really lenient sentences for rapists, the media comes out and say how terrible it is that people got punished for that crime they decided to do, etc. That attitude has to go.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Incarceration with psychological rehabilitation, though many countries (including my own) should have longer sentences.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
Lock him in a room full with children? wait no... that would be wrong... my bad. You forum people have a thing for punishing others dont'cha? Cut off hiss wee wee or plug her woo woo with sand? dunno... sounds right... or not.. who knows.. yey... violence with more violence is violent.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I would personally do this...but instead of a swastika I would carve rapist on their forehead. The victim will have to carry it for the rest of their lives so they can to.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I believe in second chances but think that the punishment for repeat offenders should be at least twice as harsh as the punishment received in the first instance.

I would want to see rehabilitation in most cases... but as always the punishment needs to be weighed against the facts of the case.

If some guy walked into a nursery and raped multiple babies but didn't kill any I'd be all for capital punishment because that act is one of a sociopath. However if a guy rapes his girlfriend because she was too drunk to give consent I don't want to see that guy's life being completely ruined for an error of youth.

I don't believe in a set punishment for a crime, I think it needs to be weighed against all the facts of the case.