Poll: I Just Started Smoking :D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yeah, I'm just gonna ignore your OP and tell you to quit. Now. While it's still relatively easy to do so. You can go hang with people on your smoke break without actually lighting up yourself. I have no doubt that you enjoy it, but you will, at some point in the future, want to quit, either for health reasons or simple expense. (Smoking is hella expensive.)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Smoke is WEAK. Noob Saibot is better.

But yeah, it's a health risk that makes you smell awful and annoys pretty much every non-smoker in range, so I see no upside whatsoever.

Smoke if you want to, just know that it's probably the worst decision you'll ever make.

Dec 14, 2009
Ultra-Chronic Monstah said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What is this, I don't even...

Are you for real? People are starting?

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
"In this day and age"? What do you mean?

OT: Are you... trolling? 'Cause if so, you're not very good. Sorry.
What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
Please don't tell me to stop, because I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking.
So you are not going to stop until you are addicted and unable to stop? I thought that was a funny way of putting it.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
I'm sure the poll has already been done, but look it up.... :effort:

So I just started smoking last week and I'm loving it so far. I do it for the camaraderie. I enjoy going outside with friends to have a smoke. I tried Camels but like Marbs better. I just wanted to see what people think of smoking, and to see what everyone else smokes?

Please don't tell me to stop, because I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking.
If your gonna smoke cos you enjoy it at least smoke something good! Look for 'Vogues', or Sobranies, first very cheap and smooth, second expensive and very tasty. Or try cigarillos, (small cigars).

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
Naive. As a smoker for more than 15 years, I'll tell you I thought the same, and that's the slippery slope right there. Quit now while you're ahead, or regret it later. Some people go thru the obnoxious experience of quitting early enough to have it stick, but most smokers I know only quit for so long then pick it back up again, cause at a certain point, you're a smoker to the end, you may have quit, but you still want one. Do you want that just so you can hang out with the cool kids?

Ah to be young again, and also a robot.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I disapprove. Thread-locking killed my last post, so I won't go to that effort again. But OP, don't sound so happy about it, it is a terrible habit, you are paying companies to poison yourself and your environment.

If you want camaraderie, get a big hat and stylish glasses, it will always be cheaper.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't really care if someone smokes. Hell, two of my friends that I hang out with like to smoke. It's their choice and I have no right to try to force them to stop.

As for me? I'm don't smoke now and I probably never will either.

Kind of ironic when I think about it, considering that my avatar loves his cigars.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
The question I have is: Do you smoke because your friends smoke, or because you've always wanted to try it? Ask yourself that, and then that determeins whether you are a spineless rat, or just curious.

For the whole addiction part, that's a mistake which is often made: you can get addicted after the first time. First time doing drugs, gambling, you can go on like this all day long. My guess is, since we don't need to bother telling you to stop (because it will kill you), you're already addicted. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

ghostsprite9

Dec 1, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
I know what you mean. Its just silly all the evidence against it, but their choice not mine.

I have a lot of friends who smoke, I don't because I despise smoking. They all have to leave when they "want a fag" they just leave me all alone...

I hate all this "social smoking" as well, they just don't want to admit that they are addicted... Oh well.

In the words of my teacher:
"You can never tell an addict what to do, only heavily advise" *very conspicuous wink*

SmartyShorts

Aug 6, 2011
Love Deluxe said:
if you're gonna smoke, smoke
just don't be a jerk about it and most people won't give you any trouble

but if an anti-smoker starts harassing you, put it out in his eye! >:D

SmartyShorts said:
I snort cocaine at parties for the camaraderie. :p
with or without hookers? :p

You know what? It's your body. It's one thing to walk into my house and smoke (I'm very sick so it's not the best idea to inhale anything bad) but you can do whatever the heck you want in your own house or outside. Don't let anyone stop you if you don't feel like stopping. This goes for anything, not just smoking. You have a right to do whatever the heck you want so use it.
i for one like your attitude
Sexy male hookers please. ;)

Frankly, smoking is just like every other life choice you can possibly make. If I woke up one morning and said "I'm gonna shave my head bald today," I'm the one who will get laughed at for being the bald girl. You've decided to smoke, so who's to say you won't live 'til you're 100?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What part of this am I supposed to care about?
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking.
Sure sure, that's what they all say. No really, it is. "Oh I'm not addicted, I could quit any time I want. I just don't want to." Sure sure, whatever. It's not like I actually care. As long as you stay at least 500 meters away from me when lighting up, I don't care what you do.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Watch Mad Men, learn how to do it in style. This is all amazingly silly, so I'll just leave it at that.
I especially like the "I'm not addicted, I could stop at any time"-bit. While it might be true, it sounds like the kind of denial one would hear in a cheesy anti-smoking PSA.

Love Deluxe

Sep 13, 2011
OP, this is my second post in this thread, and I'm still not gonna tell you to stop smoking. I'm just going to remind you not to care what other people think--because, in reality, most of them don't.

Necromancer Jim said:
But yeah, it's a health risk that makes you smell awful and annoys pretty much every non-smoker in range, so I see no upside whatsoever.
attn. non-smokers: open a window or deal w/it

Smoke if you want to, just know that it's probably the worst decision you'll ever make.
you hear that, OP?
according to this guy, smoking is a worse decision than all of the following:
- doing heroin
- cooking meth in your basement
- drunken one-night stands
- buying the collector's edition of bullet witch
- marrying a sailor
- bugchasing
- listening to katy perry
- voting for rick perry
- cheating on your girlfriend with her 13-year-old sister
- eating at godfather's pizza

let that be a lesson to you :v

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.

What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.
If the Escapist had a like button, I would make 5 profiles to like that post alone!
You are brilliant and spot-on.

To you OP again: Stop. Naow. My aunt took up smoking and deeply regrets it, she cannot breathe in any smoke without going into a coughing fit, she is always sick, her house used to smell horribly from all the smoking. And you WILL get addicted if you continue.

Dec 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.

A few thing wrong with this.

1.) Saying it's stupid for harming you is pretty close-minded. Why is it stupid? Life only has as much value as one gives it. Just because you've given it a high value doesn't mean everyone does.

2.) You only live once. This isn't a rehearsal.

3.) Sometimes people are pushed to things like smoking. Life can be very stressful, and people deal with it in different ways. Some people smoke, some drink, some work out.

4.) I don't see how it's your right to call us stupid. Why have you earned it? Please tell me you don't honestly believe that not smoking makes you better than anyone, because that's tragic.

5.) There is so much information that warns people against frequently using a computer, but you're on one. There's so much information warning against eating fast food, but I'm sure you've enjoyed a cheeky little Maccy D's. Hell, there's a lot of information that warns us that sitting down to take a shit is dangerous, but we all do it.
1: It's stupid for the same reason I'd say beating yourself over the head with a rock is stupid.

2: You're right, so why risk it with a really unhealthy (and fucking expensive) habit.

3: My parents regularly have a smoke to relieve stress. Wrong. They're not relieving stress, they're relieving withdrawel symptoms.

4: It's my right because I'm allowed an opinion. You wanna smoke? Go knock yourself out, you're free to do so. I'm also free to tell you how fucking stupid it is.

5: You're right, but none of those things are 100%, bad for you in every way imaginable.