Poll: If You Fought In The American Civil War, Who Would You Fight For?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
The south. No really, the south had only 5% of Slave owners, and even most of them didn't agree with slavery. The war wasn't about slavery to begin with, Lincoln just used that as a promotional peice for his side. Remember," History is written by the victors". I'd like to point out that I hate racism and all that.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Korolev said:
The Union obviously. Unless you LIKE losing.

I don't see how anyone could truly back the Confederates in this day and age - especially Americans who consider themselves to be patriotic. It's called the UNITED states of America, not the CONFEDERATE states of America. The Confederate stood against the Union, against basic human rights and deserved to lose on a moral level.
I think the OP wants us to write about what which side we would have ended up on based on our personal histories, rather than our modern, anachronistic points of view.
I think racism really is in the hearts of many of those who fly the confederate flag. They say it's about Southern Pride - I think that's just an excuse.

But in the end they know the real reason, and they can't fool me. And if they think they can fool anyone else, they are deluded.
Just like how any British person who flies a Union Jack is secretly Pro-Imperialist? Or any person from England who flies the flag of St. George is a secret militant Christian? Don't be silly - there are more than one reasons to fly a flag, and you do not have to identify with all the reasons. A Southerner can fly a Southern flag becase they are from the South - they do not have to identify with the ideology the flag became a symbol of.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The British had already outlawed Slavery in the UK 30 years in advance to the Civil war, so ideologically, I would be inclined to support the Unionists. Then again, the British were fairly neutral when it came to the Civil war so we'd have been just as happy to see both sides cripple one another without getting involved.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
hippykiller said:
I was just wondering which side you good people would fight for. You have the Union fighting for the North. and you have the Confederacy fighting for the South.

I personally would fight for the south. why? well becuase im an Irish Republican and a catholic. and i don't like the idea of a government that forces beliefs and laws on states that don't agree with them. and a whole majority of people who fought for the Union were German anti-Catholic immigrants. but that's just me. so, people of the escapist... Time To Pick Sides!
The North, since that's where I live, I would be for the most part better supplied, and I guess there's that no slavery thing too. Though I'd get pretty damn pissed off if I had McClellan as my general.

Also you realise that the South was A) run by the day's democrats, Lincoln being a Republican (though to be fair they're completely different today) B) signficantly LESS tolerant of races and religion in general, including Catholicism. I believe they were for the most part protestant but don't quote me on that and C) you would of course be fighting for slavery which in itself is not the most righteous of causes.

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
hippykiller said:
I was just wondering which side you good people would fight for. You have the Union fighting for the North. and you have the Confederacy fighting for the South.

I personally would fight for the south. why? well becuase im an Irish Republican and a catholic. and i don't like the idea of a government that forces beliefs and laws on states that don't agree with them. and a whole majority of people who fought for the Union were German anti-Catholic immigrants. but that's just me. so, people of the escapist... Time To Pick Sides!
how ironic seeing as Ireland passed laws saying you will be charged for speaking out against the Church

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItz-uNjoZA

not you of course, but still :)

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
this implies that I would need to travel back in time too. and in that case Im fighting with the north. but only once I bring my M1A2 Abrams tank, M-16, .50 Cal sniper, and tons of armor. lets see those confederate rifles hit me then!

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Noelveiga said:
boholikeu said:
To American conservatives "freedom" only means "don't tell me what I can/can't do with my money". Everything else is essentially fair game.
Yes, but the ramifications of that...

The people who wrote the Constitution (I refuse to call them "founding fathers". Americans overrate their Constitution and seem to think it's a sacred text. That needs to stop) were pretty good at following that logic to its reasonable conclusion: if property is to be protected and people are free to do what they want with their property, then they must all be born equal (so no more liberty to trade for nobility than for peasants) and law must apply equally to all.

How they missed that "all" meant "every human in existance, even if they're female or black" I honestly don't know, but the core of it was certainly there, and it was sound.

The debate these days is not about that, though. It's about whether corporations are property or a government.

They are as big as many governments and they are in a position of power over individual people similar to that of a government, but they don't own land, so do we regulate them with checks and balances, like we do with public corporations or do we give them more freedom as we do with individuals?

And, of course, the US Constitution doesn't apply to that debate at all. They clearly need to scrap it entirely and write a new one.

But back in the day? Yeah, it was about states vs. federal government, but it clearly also was about individual freedom of people vs individual freedom of money in that it decided whether you could own other people or not. I don't see how a conservative from the XXIst century could argue that the south was on the right side there. Ultimately, it was a war between an old regime serfdom-based economic and political model versus a modern wages-and-taxes based model. Even the most rabid anti-federal conservative must understand that the model of the south was outdated even then and doesn't make a lick of sense today.

Facing facts, the only reason anybody would say what the OP posted here is a romantic, symbolic sense of nostalgia, not political support.

Right?
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I was agreeing with you. American conservatives are only concerned with "freedom" when you're talking about their money. With civil rights/defense/etc issues they typically throw the idea of a small government out the window.

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Griever18 said:
Slavery isn't big on my "Things I Like" list, so the North.
As opposed to the current America which makes prisoners work for pennies an hour and are put into solitary confinement if they don't? Yeah...
You watched QI last night, didnt you? I love that show!

Anywho, I would probably fight for the North.
Cuz' they win n' stuff.

Rhade

Jan 2, 2010
Not being an American I probably wouldn't actively join either side. I'd probably want to be involved with the Underground Railroad or, if that wasn't an option for some reason, be part of the RCMP, but not deployed anywhere outside of Canada itself.

twostripe

Oct 27, 2009
WanderFreak said:
The South had a better theme song.
i didn know either side had a theme song, you mean they made a southern nat anthem? i shouldnt be suprised but i was unaware

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Griever18 said:
As opposed to the current America which makes prisoners work for pennies an hour and are put into solitary confinement if they don't? Yeah...
Well they aren't in there to live comfortably you know. Nor are they in there arbitrarily, but rather as a result of their own lack of judgement or ethics.

Dec 14, 2009
Alex The Rat said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Griever18 said:
You'll have to cite this, Daystar. Not because I don't necessarily believe you, simply out of curiosity.
And I'd have to say the North because the Southern economic system was dependent on slavery to stay profitable and I'd be willing to fight against the propagation of such a system.
Unfortunatly I didn't read it but watched it on T.V, the show known as QI, it is a reliabale source though, you'll have to trust me on that one. My recall ability isn't perfect but I think the show said something like; "American prisoners make more than 90% military helmets for pennies an hour" or something like that. They didn't refer to it as actual slavery, but pretty damn close. If you want, PM me and i'll give you a link to the episode that showed it.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
The north, because to me the issue is state's rights, and I believe in a strong federal government.

While I agree with several Southern points, the fact remains that they were rebelling. I am not a rebel, nor do I support rebellion. Therefore, I would fight for the Union.

I'm protestant, and for nation of origin I could say only 'northern Europe'; My lack of knowledge in this regard should tell you eactly how important that would have been to me.

Dec 14, 2009
odubya23 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Coltelement said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The British... as a quadruple agent, and destroy your country from the inside out. How dare you leave us.
...Unless, however, you have a German "Doppel Mäkler" on your tail. I knew about your plan the whole time, and while you were busy destroying America, I was destroying non-other than... FRANCE! We should team up to destroy it and all that is evil!

Anywho, I voted North, because they won. :p
Destroy America and France? Deal.
Speaking as a french american, from the bottom of my heart: Fuck you. Fuck you both and whine to the mods about it.
Sorry if I offended you, but it is pretty obvious that we were joking.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
The north, they had the right ideas.

Though in all seriousness i'd fight for the british. Since we're awesome.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Rutawitz said:
no he would be defending slavery. hes fighting with the confedcary which is in favor of slavery. so if he fights a battle and wins it for states rights then he still won the battle for slavery too.
Which can then be rectified in the Confederacy. All a Southern victory in the Civil War would have done is create a new country below the Mason-Dixon line (and probably drive the North into economic ruin).

What you're not understanding is that neither side cared about slavery as an ethical issue. It was entirely an economic problem. The North wanted to control the price of the raw goods they bought from the South, while the South enjoyed lots and lots of free labor. The slaves were only freed as a political gesture (and as noted previously, the Emancipation Proclamation accomplished nothing on that end).

If the Confederacy was formed, it's actually fairly like that within a couple generations slavery would have ended anyway. Due to a combination of foreign pressure (especially if the Union or overseas countries decided to boycott over it) and the growing trend of Southerners to be abolitionists. To free the slaves in the Confederacy would only require a more profitable (or less costly) alternative. Might take some doing, but certainly possible.

PS - I apologize if this is somewhat incoherent. It's 4 AM here and I'm a bit out of it.