Poll: If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I can't imagine anyone giving up touch, sight, or hearing.

Between taste and smell, I'd have to ditch taste. I love me some delicious food, but I'm actively smelling things pretty much full time. How much of the day do I spend tasting something besides the inside of my mouth?

Edit: kind of surprised so many people opted to lose their sense of smell rather than taste. I mean you'd hate it when you're eating or kissing, but your sense of smell is ever-present.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
Hmm...

I don't want to lose my sight, because then I won't be able to play games,

Or my hearing, because I will never again be able to hear the War of the Worlds Musical,

I think I need touch, for reasons I vaguely understand,

I like way too many different kinds of food to lose my taste,

So I'll have to pick smell. Yes, I lose most of my taste, but that's still my choice.

Natasha_LB

Jan 2, 2011
SenseOfTumour said:
Smell definately, as it also kills taste almost completely.

Would mean I could drink water instead of sugary drinks, and eat stuff like salads without wanting to throw up.
It would not mean you could drink water instead of sugary Drinks! I was born with anosmia (Inability to smell) and It means that I have real trouble tasting anything, to counter this, everything I eat must be very strong. I tend to cover everything I eat in a shitload of salt, or sugar (When I drink Pepsi, I have add extra sugar!) I know it's really bad for me but it's the only way I can get any experience, or pleasure from eating.

I know you didn't mean to offend, but please don't make assumptions about what it must be like, without at least doing some research. I'm fed up of seeing Anosmia trivialized by people who know nothing about it. It may not be the most serious sense to lose, but it still affects you life in a pretty big way:

Gas leak? I'd never notice
Milk makes me feel sick? Ask my Girlfriend to smell it for me to see if it's sour, normally it is, and I've drank loads of it.
Someone looks at me funny? Spend all day paranoid that I must smell really bad
Apples going mouldy in back of cupboard? I had no idea until my landlord said I'd be evicted if I didn't fix the smell.

Sorry to have gone on a rant, but it really gets to me, that people act like it'd be no big deal, and in your case even start listing the (false) positives.

EDIT:
Just for the record, I'm fine with people saying that they'd prefer to lose their sense of smell (I don't wanna kill the thread, and it probably is the least significant sense), just don't act like it'd be a cakewalk (Cos it's not) and don't invent false positives (Drinking water, easting salad, etc)

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Zeithri said:
I would lose Sight.
I have been wondering a long time how that would really be like.

Jessta said:
I wouldn't want to get rid of smell, why? Because when I made out with my first girl friend the thing I found the most attractive was the smell... is that wrong?
The scent of the one you love,
So sweet, So memorable, Such an delight.
COOKIES! Uhm... Inside joke :p

I'd lose my sense of taste. The others are too useful and if I lose smell, I lose taste anyway.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
first there are many sense not just those five and second majority of taste comes from the sense of smell which is why most things taste very bland when you have a blocked nose.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
looks like smell is the clear winner here.

sight - watching tv, see danger, navigation, read
hearing - music, hear danger, communication
touch - sex, avoiding hot stuff,
smell - smelling flowers and BO
taste - Food, finding out if food is off before you actually swollow it,

so smell seems to be the most useless with eith smelling bad things or smell useless things like flowers.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I went for smell, But I've considered this before, the easiest to live with other than smell would be loss of hearing...I don't think I'd be able to cope with loss of sight ):

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
smell, though assuming it wouldn't affect my sense of taste. there are some nice smells i would miss but the there are a lot of other things i would miss if i lost the others

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Let's see, sexual pleasure, the knowlege that you are touching something and how hard you are touching it, the feeling of being wrapped in a big comfy duvet the ability to know if you are pressing a button/key without having to look at it constantly. and that's just off the top of my head.

OP:
Temperature sense.
Sorry OP but there are actually closer to thirty senses than there are five, the "five senses" that you are taught in school are ridiculessly outdated and incorrect, as is the thing where they teach yoiu to believe different parts of your tounge taste different things, and there's even another type of flavour that they don't teach.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
moretimethansense said:
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Let's see, sexual pleasure, the knowlege that you are touching something and how hard you are touching it, the feeling of being wrapped in a big comfy duvet the ability to know if you are pressing a button/key without having to look at it constantly. and that's just off the top of my head.

OP:
Temperature sense.
Sorry OP but there are actually closer to thirty senses than there are five, the "five senses" that you are taught in school are ridiculessly outdated and incorrect, as is the thing where they teach yoiu to believe different parts of your tounge taste different things, and there's even another type of flavour that they don't teach.
I hate it when schools do that. It's like when I went from GCSE Chemistry to A Level Chemistry and they told us that so much that they taught us was a lie because it was 'easier to understand'.

Enlighten me, please.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
My life passions are fine food and intimacy. I need my eyes for neither.