Poll: If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Smell. I need the rest, other than taste, but I'd rather keep the ability to taste for the occasions of great food and tea.

Not that I want to lose any, but if it must be something let it be the one that makes confined spaces more of a nuisance.

TOTL_UNIALAYSHUN

Aug 24, 2010
Bahaha, too easy. xD Smell doesn't matter because the only time I ever really use it is for smelling food. But it would work out great, that way I wouldn't be taunted with the delicious smell before I could eat. :D

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Everyone who picked touch, you realize it's also needed for intercourse? :p

Ot: Smell - seeing how I'm cold almost constantly, I'd hardly know the difference :|

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
You know what, I would rather want to lose both my legs then any of the senses.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Charles_njc said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Smell definately, as it also kills taste almost completely.

Would mean I could drink water instead of sugary drinks, and eat stuff like salads without wanting to throw up.
It would not mean you could drink water instead of sugary Drinks! I was born with anosmia (Inability to smell) and It means that I have real trouble tasting anything, to counter this, everything I eat must be very strong. I tend to cover everything I eat in a shitload of salt, or sugar (When I drink Pepsi, I have add extra sugar!) I know it's really bad for me but it's the only way I can get any experience, or pleasure from eating.

I know you didn't mean to offend, but please don't make assumptions about what it must be like, without at least doing some research. I'm fed up of seeing Anosmia trivialized by people who know nothing about it. It may not be the most serious sense to lose, but it still affects you life in a pretty big way:

Gas leak? I'd never notice
Milk makes me feel sick? Ask my Girlfriend to smell it for me to see if it's sour, normally it is, and I've drank loads of it.
Someone looks at me funny? Spend all day paranoid that I must smell really bad
Apples going mouldy in back of cupboard? I had no idea until my landlord said I'd be evicted if I didn't fix the smell.

Sorry to have gone on a rant, but it really gets to me, that people act like it'd be no big deal, and in your case even start listing the (false) positives.

EDIT:
Just for the record, I'm fine with people saying that they'd prefer to lose their sense of smell (I don't wanna kill the thread, and it probably is the least significant sense), just don't act like it'd be a cakewalk (Cos it's not) and don't invent false positives (Drinking water, easting salad, etc)
Entirely fair point, and I apologise for being so flippant about a very real problem, I imagine it's because you hear about blind and deaf people all the time, but the other senses never get talked about, I still think it's probably the least important along with taste, but I agree I shouldn't have been making out like it was some kind of bonus.

Was only meant in jest rather than an attack however, offence wasn't meant, if I caused it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have said something about blind people being able to take their dog in places other people can't, so I do see your point.

However, judging by the success of Bieber and that girl with the 'Friday' song, seems I'm wrong, a lack of taste seems very widespread :D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I say taste. While that would suck as in I would never enjoy eating a food anymore but I rather lose that then smell (well the other threee senses are far more important). Don't forget that you can detect gas leak easily by the smell of it.

Griff Morivan

Mar 7, 2011
Unfortunately, I am losing my hearing, because my dad smoked like a chimney, and I had constant ear infections until I was eight, and it permanently damaged my ear canals, and now, at 22, they're deteriorating fast.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Nouw said:
Touch...

What the hell does it do except pain-wise?
Proves your existence. I would be having an existential crisis if I lost it.
OP: Smell. It would impair taste, but the others are things I value highly.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Taste.

You can only taste sweet, sour, salty, bitter. The different flavors etc are all derived from the scent, even if your brain tricks you into thinking otherwise (like so often).
Eyes and ears are too critical for my everyday life, without touch I'd probably bite off my tongue or hurt myself without knowing it or stopping, without smell I also cripple my tasting sense - so yes, taste it is.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I need sight in order to do function as expected of a human being (along with being able to enjoy my favorite pastimes like games, movies, reading, etc.)

Hearing is also important in order to survive in human civilization (Also, i can't live without music)

Touch is probably just as vital (if not more) as the previous two, it's just used more subconsciously. how would i know when to stop pressing down on my keyboard buttons (beyond looking at the endless repeat on the screen) without touch?

I enjoy smelling nice things, and i'm told we pick up on a lot of information subconsciously through smell, but i'm not sure how vital it is to my survival.

Without taste, i cannot enjoy food. If i can't enjoy food, there would be little else to keep my existence meaningful.

I can live without my sense of smell.