Poll: iPods

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Marter said:
I've got a Touch. I really like it. The apps are definitely worth it.
The Touch is crazy expensive, but also the only product in the iPod range that I think can even start to go toward justifying it's price cost. I have a 3rd and 4th generation Touch, and I've found both to be fantastic.
x0ny said:
tiredinnuendo said:
Define "transfer". I haven't bought stuff off iTunes yet, because honestly I'm not really a fan, but this is information I don't have.

- J
There is a "five" limit, and it is based on machine. You can play music purchased with a specific iTunes Store account on up to FIVE different computers at any given time. Each one is registered with the account, and when you reach five, you cannot add any more.
I know I can disassociate PCs from my library at large (thats carried around on my iPod), so I assume I could do the same for music over iTunes as well? I've never really had a problem were I've absolutely had to transfer my music onto a PC that can't have access.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I have a 64Gb Touch and I love the interface and the way you browse and play music, unfortunately, it's capacity is becoming a problem (Rage HD being almost 2Gb didn't help).
So, check out the size of your library, see if you want to carry your entire library everywhere you go and make your decision based on that.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
KimberlyGoreHound said:
DataSnake said:
It really depends what you want. If you only intend to use it to store music and video, go with the classic, since it has 160GB of storage and costs less than the 64GB touch.
My biggest concern is the hardware of the Classic being a mini hard drive, and the Touch being flash memory, I'm wondering if the Classic would have a tendency to encounter problems sooner than the Touch, or if with proper handling, it'll be just fine.
My 30GB 5th Gen Classic lasted nearly four years with fairly heavy use and occasional mistreatment (dropping, being left laying around on the floor, using in the rain etc) before finally succumbing when it fell out of my pocket and bounced down a whole flight of stairs. It'd be perfectly usable with a new hard drive in it, but the battery life was getting a bit feeble and I needed a capacity upgrade so I just replaced the whole thing. My current 160GB 6th Gen Classic is nearly a year old and it's great. The touchpad perhaps isn't as sensitive as I'd like, but that's hardly a dealbreaker. Long story short: it'll die if you're trying to kill it. If you don't grossly mistreat it, good chance you'll be fine.

As for iTunes - you can use Winamp to manage iPods these days if you're really against it, although honestly it's probably easier to just go with iTunes. That said, if you're looking to buy music, iTunes DRM isn't great. I've switched to buying from Amazon 'cos their stuff is DRM-free and their download manager automatically imports purchases into iTunes.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I wouldn't have anything else.

[sub](Oh, and to allay any accusations of fanboyism: the iPod is the only Apple product I've ever owned and will ever own.)[/sub]

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I have a touch, the latest one, jailbroken and its quite good. Its remarkably durable - its managed to survive my treatment of it - and its not had any serious issues. Cameras on it are kinda crap though.

That said I have to use iTunes to put stuff on it.

That thing is a pile of shite, and I'm not going to even think of letting it near my music collection. Oh and having to transcode videos to play them on it? Pain in the arse, thank god for SUPER though.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I've got an nano which is good but of those options I'd say go for the touch, app store and games is all that needs to be said.

But remember... there is no app for loneliness.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Koroviev said:
Marowit said:
Classic - Hate

Planned obsolescence is a business model I absolutely abhor, and there is no one that does it better than Apple. The only Apple product I had that lasted for more than 2 years was the original shuffle, yeah the one that was a white-usb-stick with a play button, and as someone who was a big fan of Apple I can say I know I won't be buying anymore Apple products.

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of their program/OS features, but oh man I cannot stand their business model.
[url = http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guide-to-platform-trolling-apple-edition.ars]Here[/url] is an interesting article, published by Ars Technica, concerning Apple's often frustrating business model. It's fairly long, but it kept my attention.
Your hyperlink doesn't work, but I'll search around for it on google. I can appreciate why it's a fantastic model, in business terms, but in has turned me from a hardcore Apple fan into a cynical critic 8/ .

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I have a classic and I love it. One of the earlier generations so it's nice and blocky. Most importantly, it has the SPACE for all my music. I did have one of the nanos, but 4GB wasn't enough for all my music.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Alright, I'm looking at getting an iPod, either the Classic 160GB or Touch 64GB (both current generation), and I'm looking for some advice from iPod owners. If you've had problems with one of the above, please let me know - or if you have one of them and think it's absolutely fabulous, please respond. Your input is valued.

The poll doesn't want to cooperate. The options are (top to bottom):

Classic - love it
Classic - hate it
Touch - love it
Touch - hate it

Misc answers such as iPod shuffle, Zune or whateverthefuckelse are fine too.
The Classic is next to be phased out so if you want some long term support via updates, go with the Touch.

However, if you are one of those people that has over 100GB of music, it would be in your best interest to a Classic.

If you don't care about apps or anything like that and just want to listen to music, the Zune HD (whatever the new one is called) has better sound quality than the iPod line.
Other than those two, I would avoid anything generic as they have a high failure rate and tend to have a handful of glitches that never get fixed.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Marowit said:
Koroviev said:
Marowit said:
Classic - Hate

Planned obsolescence is a business model I absolutely abhor, and there is no one that does it better than Apple. The only Apple product I had that lasted for more than 2 years was the original shuffle, yeah the one that was a white-usb-stick with a play button, and as someone who was a big fan of Apple I can say I know I won't be buying anymore Apple products.

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of their program/OS features, but oh man I cannot stand their business model.
[url = http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guide-to-platform-trolling-apple-edition.ars]Here[/url] is an interesting article, published by Ars Technica, concerning Apple's often frustrating business model. It's fairly long, but it kept my attention.
Your hyperlink doesn't work, but I'll search around for it on google. I can appreciate why it's a fantastic model, in business terms, but in has turned me from a hardcore Apple fan into a cynical critic 8/ .
Oh, sorry about that.

If you didn't already find it, here's the proper link:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guide-to-platform-trolling-apple-edition.ars

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Tankichi said:
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
I can't find any other MP3 players that go up to the storage which I require (minimum 64GB). If you know any, please point me in their direction.
Why do you need 64gb?
Because I have a ton of music, and don't want to change my playlist every single day (or a few times a day).

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
I have the slightly old 30GB iPod Video. I don't really use it too much, but it's good enough for me.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
I like the iPod classic, but only because of its insane amount of space - I'm crazy and need all of my music with me, because I never know what I might be in the mood for.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
I used to have a shuffle, now I have my itouch. And ya know? I kinda like them both. o_O The shuffle is nice and light, quite sturdy but doesn't contain as much as I'd want it to. Assuming I play a very fast paced LARP every Sunday, though, it does come in nicely for when I wanna listen to something badass while going at it with 2 blades on a battlefield. :>

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
^^ Agreed.

I don't have an iPod because they are gratuitously expensive and run on iTunes. The only reason I would get one is because of the great and almost universally understood user interface.