Poll: Isn't crying about the deceased pointless?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Of course crying is pointless. Do I do it? Yes. I am sad. I'm not doing it to accomplish something. It's pointless just like spending the day playing a game is pointless.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
You do it for yourself not for the deseased, pretty much like the funeral, the deseased doesn't mind/know if you throw him/her on the back yard. I just recently lost a nephew he was about to turn 1 year, first grandchild for my mom. He had a corrective hearth surgery and didn't came out of intensive care, he had several heart attacks, it was brutal. He was the cutest little thing. *tears*

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Only one person I was close to in my life has died and I cried at the funeral but never anywhere else.

I like the Buddhist view on death and suffering.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's a pointless waste of time, but it's a reactionary response we usually can't help.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Isn't crying about anything pointless? I wasn't aware crying was supposed to be a productive effort.

Jul 13, 2010
1: Incorrect use of the phrase "begs the question" in the OP

2: Heaven forbid anyone do anything that isn't logical and functional. Yes, you do not necessarily have to feel bad if someone dies. But if you do and you cry, then I see absolutely nothing infuriating enough there to write forum based rant, seemingly functionless though the crying may be.

Andrew Patourel

Jul 19, 2011
Crying is firstly a autonomic response, its not something we consciously decide to do or not, I've spent too much time at funerals lately but not all brought tears to me. However yesterday I stood in a place my father and I had spent a lot of time as I was growing up and broke down, with no warning.

It truly does serve a point though, much like laughter, crying is a way to expend emotion, to let it pass through and leave you refreshed. We need to expel our inner turmoil in order to keep absorbing the new data we receive daily.

So maybe the action of expelling salt water through holes in our heads is fairly useless adaptation, but the physical representation of sorrow or loss is there to explain our situation and and needs to the society in which we live, we're social animals and we communicate in more ways than language.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i like physics.

really, when i was younger death bothered me allot but the more i thought on it the more i realized, you cant actually die.
you simply return to the stardust you were originally contrived from
your energy will de unify and effect other things in the world eventually

May 20, 2009
If I think a person either goes to hell or heaven after they die or if I think there is nothing else after one dies then it is pointless. If a person goes to hell it's because they deserve it defeating the purpose of crying over them, if a person goes to heaven they're better off and if there is nothing afterwards the person won't suffer and they have stopped suffering in the shit stained cess pit that is society. Even then we will cry because it's a natural reaction to stressful situations. We are selfish creatures by nature, we don't cry because they died, we cry because we don't have those people in our lives anymore. Also, we are vain and we hate not being in control of everything around us.

Zap Happy

Mar 28, 2010
No one gets mad at you for not crying at a funeral. Or at least no one in my family ever has.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I haven't cried in a good long while. I take that back, I cried a few months back at the end of a game. Prior to that I haven't cried in a good while. I just think there are better things to do than cry. I don't think a funeral is a time to mourn a loss, but to celebrate a life. Funerals should be full of laughter, but I always get the worst looks when I say that at the funeral.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
The schism between what humans know is logical and what they feel in their hearts is one too great to be explained by lesser men such as myself.

Rathands

Oct 4, 2010
drosalion said:
...The worst (or perhaps just most unexplainable) is religious people who believe in Heaven who also find deaths and the loss of a loved one a tragedy. Its incredibly selfish and all about "oh ill never get to see that person again", when really you should be like "wow lucky bastard he gets to go to heaven with our lord im so happy for them, and in due time ill be reunited with them!"...
The latter is kind of jarring though - if you attend a religious funeral and don't believe in a God yourself; everyone's happy around you and has made their peace with the fact that said person is dead, but all you can think about is how their wake is really the last thing you'll ever do together. :(

I'm confused why you needed to ask this question to be honest - unless you have a learning disability that makes it difficult for you to understand others (and even then, I know people with autism who understand why people cry over death), it just seems strange that you're trying to analyse it logically.

Also, am I the only one who's a little disturbed by the amount of people who never cry according to the poll? I understand some people are much more stoic than I but NEVER? It's a natural response and sometimes involuntary, how can you not even sniffle, not even once at the death of someone close to you?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Losing someone you care about actually has a negative impact on your health.

Catharsis is thereputic and helps heal the damage done by this negative damage.

So no, not pointless.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Hoplon said:
OP, by that standard all emotion is pointless, if it's not then while not useful crying should be expected since it is simply a result to strong emotion.

It's utility isn't a valid notion or a worthy consideration.
I quite thoroughly second this.

When one starts debating the value of emotion based on utility, I start worrying a little. It might be a little embarrassing, but it's there for a reason (Just not a totally utilitarian one).

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
As pointed out, it's a way to let out stress. Plus, it's pretty well known that you feel a little better after a good long cry. Perhaps not MUCH better, but you feel like just a bit of a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

As for me, I cry a lot, though I usually don't when in mourning. At least, I may not cry WHEN the died or AT the funeral. But at some point I'll remember them, and if I had a strong connection I may have to let out some tears.

I also have a problem that if I feel REALLY sad or regretful, I can barely hold my tears back. It's a little embarrassing when this happens at school because everyone starts asking you what's wrong, and I never wants to say.

...Derp.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
It's called venting your feelings you robot. Seriously though, who wouldn't get upset if someone they loved died?