Poll: KotOR vs Mass Effect

waxwingslain

Aug 12, 2009
UncleUlty said:
I never really cared for Mass effect and it gave me headaches. So even though I haven't played KotOR, go for KotOR

or you know you could say Screw 'em and get Jade Empire.
This.

Jul 9, 2008
YuheJi said:
Amnestic said:
Is Team Gizka finished yet by the way? \o/
I recently checked, and they're in closed beta.
Just as they have been for what feels like the last 5 years. Not that I want to rush them. Wouldn't that be ironic?
Singularly Datarific said:
Soooo,
My bro is wondering which game is worth getting, so he wants to know which one is a better value, considering the 2 games are virtually identical gameplay-wise, as they use the same engine, and Mass Effect is essentially a copy of KotOR, attempting to copy the great game in a new universe.
Which would you choose?
"Identical gameplay-wise"? How do you figure?
The Madman said:
NoMoreSanity said:
I think I'm one of the few to actually like II more. The characters were much more well-established, HK somehow got even cooler, and the stories darker tone was done wonderfully.
I'd say the original Kotor was the better game overall, but that Kotor 2 had the potential to be a better experience as strange as that sounds.

Really Kotor's plot is basic stuff, a one trick pony who once you've gotten past the mid-game plot-twist quickly becomes standard fare storytelling. Luckily it's so well done and the characters are interesting enough to hide that truth and make the game just so damn fun you don't care once you have figured it out.

Kotor 2 had a much more complicated plot which rather than relying on a single *BAM* twist just had a much higher focus on proper story-telling and presenting various thought-provoking themes and ideas to the player. The characters were more realistic in many ways, more believable and less just a series of fun cutouts. But as a game Kotor 2 was also horribly unfinished and the ending, which should (And would have) cemented the game into peoples minds was instead made a rushed, confusing mess.

That's my view on it anyway. Kotor is the better of the two, but Kotor 2 had the potential to be much, much better if only it had met it. I'm still grumpy with Lucasarts over the last-minute rush job they pulled! Could have been so awesome!

As for Kotor vs. Mass Effect. Hmmm.... They're both fantastic, I can't choose.
That's the way I've always seen it. KotORII had so much potential, and was simply fantastic up to the end of the last time you go to Telos (depending on my mood, possibly just until the end of the last Choice Planet). It also tried to champion Grey Morality, which I love, as it was nowhere near as clear-cut as KotOR I. Not to mention it had the only cryptic-as-hell character I've ever seen pulled off well, hence my avatar. However, the ending just completely destroyed all that hard work, not to mention the fact that they kept hinting towards content that was cut (the HK factory). At least the first was more or less at an even level of Great the entire game, with a small jump to Fantastic with the twist.

As for the choice...well, consider for a moment that my only two avatars on this site have been Nihlus and Kreia.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
KOTOR because it's world, although more linear, felt more open. Ironically, Mass Effect's world just didn't feel as open because there was the story line planets, and then the barren worlds and military bases that never felt interesting.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Sobs uncontrolably.....Please don't make me choose, I love them both so much its impossiable to choose.

Dr. Love

Apr 18, 2009
Mass Effect, I played both and while KoToR is definitely one of the better of the star wars games, the combat is much more involved the customization is much better in ME even though its a bit confusing and repetitive (getting a new upgrade every 5 minutes awesome, but sucks having to keep switching crap out).

The main story is exponentially better in my opinion, KoToR's story wasn't bad itself with a very nice plot twist, but most of it seemed to dedicated to showing off how you can use lightsabers which whilst fun, has been done in last years 3 star wars games and been done in the 384 other star wars games that have spawned since my birth.

Only thing that i can really find wrong ME is the side quests, which usually involve going on generic planet 25 across the same terrain doing the same thing, occasionally broken up by the pretty cool Thresher Maw fight.

Bit biased and i apologize but i've played em both at least twice through and ME had much more of a lasting effect to me

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
KOTOR is petty old so you can snag a copy cheap but if you go Mass Effect for the PC the DRM is legendary evil. I loved KOTOR with all my heart and became a Bioware fanboy because of it.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
I love star wars, I love KoTOR, but I still think Mass effect takes it a little further.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Knights of the Old Republic:
+ Best story (and plot twist)
- Riddled with bugs
! Bisexual cat girl

Knights of the Old Republic II:
+ Best characters
+ Both a "karma" system and a "friendship" system
- Riddled with bugs
- Incomplete

Mass Effect:
+ Interesting new world
+ Best combat system
- No lightsabers (not Star Wars :p)
- Character interaction feels very limited
- Too generic environments

~ ~ ~

No, I can't pick a favorite.

Faps

Jul 27, 2008
KotOR wins by a nose simply because it has HK-47, the ability to be evil not just renegade and because pressing X to make your lightsabers spin round and go wooooshhooo never gets old.

But if you're going to play it on Vista don't patch it or you'll get DRM problems and be prepared to give F4 a good work out on both games but especially KotOR II

Xris

Aug 1, 2009
KotOR ofcourse, the story, the most epic plot twist ever and HK-47. Do I need to say any more?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Faps said:
KotOR wins by a nose simply because it has HK-47, the ability to be evil not just renegade and because pressing X to make your lightsabers spin round and go wooooshhooo never gets old.
That really doesn't get old. I would press X while I run almost all the time. I can't imagine the game without it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ace_of_something said:
I loved KotOR. Though I still vote for Neverwinter Nights which the KotOR system is losely based on.
I agree. Both are inferior to NwN 1, especially since, you know... it's online, and they are single-player only.

eldermore

Apr 26, 2009
Despite the bugginess, KOTOR. because its Star wars..
Mass effect is great though, I hope the new Dragon Age : Origins will be good.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Stevanchez said:
Are you talking about the 10 seconds of ass that they show?
Yep, thats mature.
No Im talking about dealing with themes and motives other than "I IS TEH EVILZORZ!!one!11!" and "IM BLINDED BY MY DESIRE TO NEEDLESSLY DO GOOD".

Star Wars take on morality is childish to the extreme, and the plot seems to be the same boring shit again and again. "Teh Sith have risen!", "Teh Jedi have returned".

One thing I will always love KOTOR II for is the shades of grey it injected into Star Wars. GOTO and Kreia to be more specific.

But you go on kicking kittens into trees or fetching them down from trees as morality and character development. Im not trying to stop you.

Edit: To elaborate, GOTO calling the constant "crises" that seem to always grip the galaxy repetitive and boring, and Kreia saying she believes the force doesnt really care what ideologies are built up around it are some of my favourite moments in all of Star Wars media everywhere. Simply because they strike me as more mature than the usual "LETS SAVE/DESTROY TEH GALAXY WIF OUR GLOWWIN SWORDS!!!"