Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Faladorian said:
Boemmel said:
I think the "be nice" part of the OP regrettably is already vanished into thin air and since those kind of discussion (especially with this topic) routinely go nowhere (this one included), I will just say my personal universal advice in regards to all OS discussions:

Keep an open mind and try to experience as many different operating systems as you can. Learn from all of them, appreciate their different strenghts. Realize that in the end, they will all find ways to drive you completely mad.
Most people are being reasonable, but some people seem to have a vendetta against Apple. I asked for no bias and to give a good thing (just one even if you list a million bad) but eh... this is as close as it will get.

And you're right, every OS will drive you insane.
Yeah, this will most certainly about as close as it will get and to be honest, that makes me a little sad. I have extensive use knowledge of both Windows and Mac for quite a few generations (dating back to the times when Windows was a shell atop DOS and when Mac OS had a different numbering scheme than 10.X and was not codenamed after cats), dabbled in several different Linux distributions and a whole lot of other operating systems and I now see good and bad points in all of them, which makes all the vendetta statements a bit baffling to me.

Sure, you will have preferences and in the end, most certainly an operating system of choice, which make you feel most comfortable using (hint: I have those too), but the strong convictions some people seem to have about their computers and operating systems kinda irritate me, especially since those do not tend to be very nuanced.

But maybe most of them just do not yet realize that every single operating system will do something incredibly stupid sometime, driving you absolutely crazy. And yes, with experience you can spot those early and know some tricks to work around those issues, but still, every single OS will drive you insane with some irritating idiocy, which will make you curse the day the first transistor was ever created and make you realize that sometimes your computer just messes with you, probably because he hates you, at least it fells that way right now!

*pant, pant*

Uhm, where was I? Oh yeah, raving like a madman about stupid computers ;)

Anyway, let´s see where this thread is going (I remain skeptical), but at least, thanks for agreeing with my "universal computer insanity" observation, I am always perplexed how few seem to realize this, so it is nice to see a kindred spirit in that regard :)

pezwitch

Mar 31, 2009
PC with Windows because I'm a PC Gamer. Gaming on Mac or Linux is a pain, a major pain, and when I get home from work I want to press the on button and have everything work. Only way I game without having to sit down and fiddle with each game to make it function correctly is if I use a PC running Windows.

In all reality Mac hardware is the same as PC hardware - they use Intel chips, AMD (formerly ATI) or NVidia video cards and use ASUS as one of their manufacturers, so the "Mac has better hardware" arguement is mostly moot.

I do not understand the difference between PC and Self-built in the choices. My self built computer is a PC, and while I like it more than a name brand PC there is really not much difference and which is superior is a personal judgement. I have met people who love their Alienware just as much as I love my white box.

Aug 1, 2010
A joke.

Bill Gates is on his honey moon and his wife walks up and says "Now I know why you called it Micro Soft"

Incidentally, I only use PC's with Windows.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
A self built computer is still a PC, as is a Macintosh.

Regardless, i chose self built with windows because the largest segment of games on personal computers are designed for the windows operating system.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Let's face it: regardless of how capable Macs are or not, Jonathan Ive is an extremely capable dude. A true modern testament to the ideals of Industrial Design. He's definitely set the look for decades to come in the same way Raymond Loewry did for the 50s and 60s.

Simplicity is elegance.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
I prefer windows for a couple of reasons. First, mac gets outdated faster, How? Well you see there are still apps for windows xp even some windows 98 and mac, well, my tiger can't run the new iTunes or Skype or safari. Of course I can download whatever the fuck I want because I don't have to worry about viruses.
Also windows is more customizable.
But al this comes to one conclusion. There is no such thing as MAC gaming. I like gaming.
Just an opinion you trolls out there

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
TEMHOTA said:
Faladorian said:
Well, there are less viruses. And it's not only because they're less popular, it's also not an open-source operating system, so making viruses is more difficult and not really worth it.
Wow... No, Apple is about as closed as it gets, and it is because Apple is not popular. Virus creators want distribution across a wide area and that is best with Windows not OSX. The only reason it is not worth it to create viruses and spyware for Apple is because of that. See this is why I have a problem with Apple fans, they don't really know anything and when they don't know something they make it up.
First of all, this is just a chicken-and-egg argument, so we're going to get nowhere.

Second, you're stereotyping me, which I don't like, and in the wrong group, too. I said I use Windows in my original post.

Apple is about as closed as it gets
That's what I said.

Mac has always been closed-source, meaning its internal files cant easily be edited by applications without special privileges, making it harder to create viruses. It also makes it harder to make custom themes and applications, thus making Mac the less popular option.

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
I am a little bit biased towards macs, mainly because I have little to no luck with viruses, every time I get a virus on a computer I no longer trust that computer and do not enter any passwords at all onto it. Macs aren't virus free but I am still on the original mac that i've had for 2 years. Most of my windows pc's only last a month :(

Oh and about captcha, they are meant to be hard to read but you're right about the fact that you shouldn't need a screenshot zoom to make out how many l's and i's are next to eachother.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Let's face it: regardless of how capable Macs are or not, Jonathan Ive is an extremely capable dude. A true modern testament to the ideals of Industrial Design. He's definitely set the look for decades to come in the same way Raymond Loewry did for the 50s and 60s.

Simplicity is elegance.
Maybe, but I never liked my tech in white, so the majority of Apple's design look rather meh to me. I like the look of the iPhone though. Just the look, mind you, I'd rather get a Samsung Galaxy S or something. Never did fancy that wheely thing on the iPod either.

It comes down to taste a lot, but I do get your point; their designs work well and are, well, pretty pretty. But in a way that makes it all the more sad, that people let themselves get ripped off so easily in favour of shinyness.

Faladorian said:
Mac has always been closed-source, meaning its internal files cant easily be edited by applications without special privileges, making it harder to create viruses. It also makes it harder to make custom themes and applications, thus making Mac the less popular option.
*ahem* [http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/23804-mac-os-x-easy-to-crack-says-researcher] You were saying?
roguetrooper96 said:
I am a little bit biased towards macs, mainly because I have little to no luck with viruses, every time I get a virus on a computer I no longer trust that computer and do not enter any passwords at all onto it. Macs aren't virus free but I am still on the original mac that i've had for 2 years. Most of my windows pc's only last a month :(
A month?! What are you doing with them, going on off-road programming trips or something? Buying uber-cheap prebuilt nonsense? No firewalls, virus scanner or any security whatsoever? In the 5-ish years that I've had my own computers I never had a virus infection on both my Windows PC. A bit of security is all it takes.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
I think they'll never be a perfect operating system, but seeing them compete (finally) is good, because it forces them both to improve in the areas they are lacking in. Also I know Mac have been competitive for several years now, its a much better OS market because of it too.

I voted 'Self-built computer (with windows)' - I suppose you're looking at the entire computer system?

Faladorian said:
PC:
---Cons---

*Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat
The security system can be altered with some hunting around, not a big issue. I'd say laptop-laptop and desktop-desktop (neither is fair, there are way more PC models), that there would have to be a stronger set of PCs vs. Macs, they don't generally look that strong either, more 'stylish'. Overheating is subjective as well, I'm sure Macs overheat less often because they aren't custom built/ fiddled with.

In the past (say OS9), I'd never consider them, and yes I did use this OS. It was alien, it was limited, and it was all over just no match for Windows 2000 /XP /whatever we were up to. Currently though, there is a fair argument to suggest that Mac has an easier user interface, especially for the computer 'un-associated' shall we say. But the bottom line for me is, until big business starts using Mac instead of Windows, and I mean it becomes 'the' option (like Windows is now), I'll never change. Oh and gaming, huge issue, I wonder if it's possible to cut a deal with MS and fix this?

Linux? Well, you know, you're basically hardcore if you use that in my opinion, but who knows, they might have a chance in the business sector too - which is almost my entire angle on this subject.

Faladorian said:
Mac:
---Pros---

*One foot ahead
(technologically)
*Master of nanotechnology
I'm actually curious to know how they are ahead in both these areas, someone untechnical tried to explain it once but got stuck. Could someone explain this possibly please? Techno talk if possible, I can tell a FSB from a Northbridge, from a L2 Cache, so...

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Faladorian said:
Some of the technology Apple puts into their products is pretty amazing. The evolution of the iPod is a proper example. PCs tend to lack that sort of fancy new-technology feel, and are much cheaper as a result, but simply less flashy or impressive. It's all a matter of opinion.
Normally I'd agree but in this case I can say this. I remember when I was looking into buying a mac, so I looked at the mac pro. The most expensive graphics card option was almost 3 years behind the current-gen PC stuff.

It really is true that PCs are cheaper than macs. It's a logical deduction, therefore, that if you pay the same price for a PC as you do a mac, you'll get better hardware.

Macs do come with some sweet software and a swish OS, but I'd rather stick with my custom PC.

KrazyShrink

Aug 6, 2010
The extremely biased and blunt way that I view it is that when you buy a mac you're paying several hundred dollars extra for a slightly more user friendly interface that could easily be made up for by learning how to Google stuff that you're confused about. And apparently they're better for artsy stuff.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I love technology as a whole. I have a few Macs and a Windows laptop, I'm also looking at getting a Macbook and eventually a stand alone Windows based gaming rig. I did have one years ago but it's rather out dated now. I don't mind what I use, as long as it works smoothly and efficiently at what I need it to do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Things relevant to me:

PCs have way more games, I understand the OS, and I'm charmed with excellent stability and no viruses.

Macs have better software, but are reeeeeeally expensive and like to crash the instant I look at them.

Therefore, I use PCs. I'm considering a swap to Linux, though...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Personally, I find Macs to be the better option if the user just wants to get something simple done. However, if the user really wants to dip into more advanced things than Microsoft Word, PC is the way to go.

As for the poll, I voted custom-built computer with Windows.