Poll: Mindless hatred for the Xbone?

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Wesley Au said:
So thats it then? The Xbone is COMPLETELY worthless and not worth the metal its made with? Is that the whole point of the possibly hundreds of hate-threads on the internet? That....is disturbing. So far nothing in creation has ever been wholly negative. Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done, did contribute to the development of the first space rockets and their deeds formed the basis of the international war crime court.

I just refuse to believe that there is nothing good about it. There is ALWAYS a silver lining regardless how horrible the situation.
There's a difference between 'worthless' and 'not worth it'. The Xbox offers some fairly interesting (if, at times, redundant) functionality. It's nice that you can just talk to it if you misplace your remote (how many of us have been there?). It's nice that you can just let your friend download your game anywhere in the world (so long as it's supported, of course) rather than having to keep track of a physical disk. In fact, that all of your games install right to the hard drive and eliminate disk hunts altogether is pretty nice. The launch titles look...alright...certainly more on offer than the WiiU.

But is that all worth $500 to you? Does the restrictive internet requirement, lack of BWC, and loss of Right of First Sale not deter you at all? How about the uncertainty of your games' functionality after support is discontinued? How about the attitudes of Microsoft toward what was an otherwise loyal consumer base and their apparent complete lack of interest toward those who have invested hundreds or even thousands in their Xbox's? Is that an attitude you wish to support?

See, most people's problems aren't with the console itself but with the business practices behind it. It's not that they're offering a bad product; but a terrible service. To paraphrase the Holy Yahtzee: it's as if you have dined at an elegant restaurant with delicious food that left you completely satisfied, but when you ask for your check the chef comes and farts in your face.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
QuantumNebula said:
I completely agree that the Xbox One is a pretty bad console. However, too many people are just taking every negative rumor about the Xbox One and taking it as the truth as long as it fits their hate the Xbox One agenda.

For me, Microsoft needs to tell me reasons why cloud gaming and always online actually benefit me. Until they can do that, I will not accept it. Also, their, "family plan" isn't enough, I can do that already without being always online.
Someone on here told me the online check is there specifically for the shared games library. It checks to make sure you still have or don't have the license for the game and allows or disallows others to play it.

Microsoft could have had an opt-in type system for it that would have been much better received I believe.
So if you didn't want to participate in the shared library the console wouldn't require the connection.

The cloud feature is still fairly nebulous to me, and it would certainly benefit them to give some more clarification on what it's purpose is, and how it works and also how it affects the consumer.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Sleekit said:
if there's one thing that annoys me about my mother its that whenever we get into a weighty discussion on a subject she plays devils advocate and while doing so most of the time is a fine and potentially mind/thought expanding habit to have imo sometimes you just have to step back, take a deep breath, acknowledge said habit for what it is and say just "ye, this thing is bad." lest you end up being being contrary just for the sake of it and the habit of being so.

in short, if you're gonna play devils advocate you should always realise doing so should have a limit.
Im sorry but i really did not understand that. Could you rephrase it again? Thanks.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
*puts on hipster glasses*

I thought Microsoft could go fuck themselves before it was cool. And I gotta love threads that start like this. "Your all just following the herd like mindless sheep! It totally has nothing to do with the fact that a lot like minded people visit this site! My opinion is better because it's unique!"

And no, it's not extreme. Microsoft is trying to steer the gaming industry into a direction where publishers have all the power to fuck us over. I'm not okay with that. Fuck Microsoft, I want them to fail. Gee I came up with that all by myself. I must be a special free thinker :D

Edit: also, I see that xb1 had some good ideas like their cloud library. It doesn't matter. Microsoft only added that shit to control their customers. Nuff said

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I was never a fan of Xbox and I and mine have left Microsoft for Apple a few years ago and never looked back. I hate the company model they chose for the Xbox One and what new horrors it could've meant for gaming had Sony decided to join in this madness. If they had wanted to bring me and others over to their side I honestly would've liked to know how any of these restrictions in sheep's clothing would benefit me as a potential customer. I would like to know why it is being marketed in such a way that it utterly repulses me, like an evil-but-wholly necessary service instead of the leisure product that it is.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Wesley Au said:
I just refuse to believe that there is nothing good about it. There is ALWAYS a silver lining regardless how horrible the situation.
There might be a silver lining, but I think it's better to avoid a largely negative decision (with problems that you know in advance) than to try to rationalize yourself into committing to it.

Some of us have established limits. I call them "Dealbreakers". If I make a decision without recognizing a dealbreaker (derp, mistakes happen), that's on me and that is when I look for the silver lining to try and salvage something from a poor choice.

The Xbone has one major Dealbreaker for me, and it's the Azure Cloud.
In theory, I can see how it could be used to enhance processing. In practice, I know that one would need an AMAZING internet connection for it to work. Nevermind how easily this system can be used to turn any game into some Always-Online nightmare.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Wesley Au said:
At this point, I think the hatred is perfectly justified. Some people may be ignorant of it and just hating it because others do, but I think those who do know what they're doing have perfectly good reasons for doing so. It has no redeeming values. It plays games...sometimes, if you meet a list of requirements and check in every single day. It plays used games...most of them, and only which publishers see fit and for however much money they want to charge. You can use the kinect...as long as you don't have a small apartment. You can shut off the kinect...as long as you say the magic word. But never unplug it, then nothing will work at all.

I guess...you can play Blu-Rays and watch Netflix? But you need a smart TV to play it anyway, all Smart TVs already come equipped with the ability to surf the Internet and watch Netflix and such. And you can get a Blu-Ray player for a hell of a lot less than the x-bone.

So, yeah. A few people might be mindlessly following the leader, but those leaders are in the right path as far as I'm concerned.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Microsoft can only dig their hole deeper. The fact that Major Nelson confirmed that there's a way to keep playing your games after the Xbone's life cycle begs more questions than answers: WHAT IS THE USE OF THE ONCE A DAY REQUIREMENT IF THAT'S THE CASE?

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Well on the bright side it could provide a much needed boost to PC sales and prop up the embarrassing Windows 8. When we return to the PC, the golden era we saw in the mid 90s to early 00s will likely return with it. My next visit is the thread about why no one is talking about actual games... my guess is they mostly all suck. They're mainly disposable, consumable content pieces today. People used to talk about games because the experience of actually playing the god damn things was amazing, now people talk about games being ruined because of spoilers... If high school level writing in the video games getting spoiled ruins the game, then what good are they to actually play?

Garbage in, garbage out.

I for one welcome our new PC gamers. Hang up the controllers and take gaming out of the living room, and back to the basement, office and bedroom desk where we can get back to escaping reality. Seek counseling for your guitar hero days with those people who you thought were your friends. Back to the basement with ye.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Syntax Error said:
Microsoft can only dig their hole deeper. The fact that Major Nelson confirmed that there's a way to keep playing your games after the Xbone's life cycle begs more questions than answers: WHAT IS THE USE OF THE ONCE A DAY REQUIREMENT IF THAT'S THE CASE?
I recall reading that a large portion of the reason for the check-in is the Family Game Sharing gimmick that they are trying to push. This check-in is supposed to determine who is playing game and to make sure multiple people on the FGS aren't playing the same game.

xDarc said:
Well on the bright side it could provide a much needed boost to PC sales and prop up the embarrassing Windows 8. When we return to the PC, the golden era we saw in the mid 90s to early 00s will likely return with it. My next visit is the thread about why no one is talking about actual games... my guess is they mostly all suck. They're mainly disposable, consumable content pieces today. People used to talk about games because the experience of actually playing the god damn things was amazing, now people talk about games being ruined because of spoilers... If high school level writing in the video games getting spoiled ruins the game, then what good are they to actually play?

Garbage in, garbage out.
I sense a bit of bias in this post. I would love to hear particulars about which titles are the most offensive to you. I hope it isn't games that aren't centered around story (Call of Duty etc.). I'll cede that the amount of gems is occluded by the amount of overblown AAA titles that are being manufactured according to a focus group mentality is disheartening, but I'm consistently finding entertaining games to talk about with my friends, and hopefully here since I'm rather new. It also depends on your tastes too I suppose.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:

I thought Microsoft could go fuck themselves before it was cool. And I gotta love threads that start like this. "Your all just following the herd like mindless sheep! It totally has nothing to do with the fact that a lot like minded people visit this site! My opinion is better because it's unique!"

And no, it's not extreme. Microsoft is trying to steer the gaming industry into a direction where publishers have all the power to fuck us over. I'm not okay with that. Fuck Microsoft, I want them to fail. Gee I came up with that all by myself. I must be a special free thinker :D

Edit: also, I see that xb1 had some good ideas like their cloud library. It doesn't matter. Microsoft only added that shit to control their customers. Nuff said
The way I see it, the Xbone ban of used games is a plus for publishers. The boost from the sales could be used to prop up good discounts ( Similar to Steam , which i THINK does not support used games for the current generation of games at least [Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite come to mind] )

Besides, we are the consumers. Gamers are literally the sole providence of the gaming industry ( Excluding bigger and wider conglomerates like microsoft and pointing towards more indie developers ). If we want to bypass the act of paying money but still play games , we are essentially sticking the finger to the gaming industry (which can't do a thing). I don't blame producers for sharing microsoft's view. Gaming is a consumer dominated industry which is (sort of) calling the shots. Producers just churn out relevant content and hope people buy it.

If the producers are able to earn more money, they have more funding to produce more projects. Right now game developing is delicate ( Heck THQ, after a long and illustrious career in the game industry, pretty much went bust after Homefront ). You cant really blame the producers for this, since they are getting the short end of the stick.

All opinions are more or less unique. There is no "better" opinion because all of them are still valuable.

Also that entire post reeks of bias. And bias = unreliable.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I could have stopped talking about how badly Microsoft done goofed a while ago, but when the stream of horrible news just won't let up (contributed to prominently by Don Mattrick's full-retard approach to PR), they just keep on handing me and millions of other gamers the spanking paddle and asking if they may have another.

It seems like every single decision regarding the Xbox ONE has been made with the express purpose of excluding people from their business. People who live in one of the over 200 countries which the Xbox ONE will be unusable in; people who spend extended periods of time abroad in any of those countries for various reasons; people who don't have a consistently stable internet connection; people who like to swap games around with their friends; people who don't think it's reasonable to tolerate all this, for not very many games at launch, for $500 (plus extras). How much longer is the list going to get? Who does Microsoft think their consumer base is, that they can reject so many different groups and still come out on top?

You want a silver lining? Ok... erm... I like Halo (though not enough to buy an Xbox ONE obviously), and Quantum Break looks kinda cool... ish... even though we still don't know anything about i-ok enough qualifying statements!

That it. That's literally all I can say about the Xbox ONE that isn't directly negative, and even then it's nothing I can get excited about against the overwhelming imbalance of bad news. You can't say I didn't try though.
I think this sums it up for me too. It's just not consumer-friendly in any way.
I don't mindlessly hate it because everyone else does, and neither do the people I know who are also saying how terrible the Xbox ONE is. I just personally see way more cons than pros to it, which is really sad and, I think, a bad choice for Microsoft. Someone else above me said it, but at least Sony is trying to still please buyers in exchange for doing everything they can to earn their money. I can't say the same for Microsoft.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Wesley Au said:
However, is no one out there trying to find any bright-spots in this mouldering black hole of a topic? Or is everyone simply going with the flow regarding the Xbone and hopping on the FACK TEH BAWKZ bandwagon because they can't be bothered to make their own opinion?
So I'm guessing by your post you've looked for some bright spots - could you name me a few? Naturally, positive features that I couldn't get on a PS4 or a PC, considering that, by the current status of information, we can avoid on a PC/PS4 the problems everyone's complaining about on the Xbox One.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Wesley Au said:
However, is no one out there trying to find any bright-spots in this mouldering black hole of a topic?
There is no bright side. Things are so much worse then we all feared any positive you could bring up about the Xbox One would sound childish. "Ooo it has Halo!". Is Halo worth another gaming crash? Read on to see what I mean...

but don't you think all this mindless hatred is going a bit far?
No. If the Xbox One somehow pulled a miracle and succeeds, (like much of what EA has done) Microsoft will have set a new precedent that will spread like cancer to the rest of the game industry. It won't just be the Xbox that is shitty in Gen 9, but likely all three big hitters... which is why it's better the Xbox now fails, so all the "ideas" it has recently introduced into gaming will die with it. The Xbox has volunteered itself to be the poster child of everything vile in gaming today by adopting all the worst possible practices imaginable. That was their decision, not ours.

So do people genuinely hate the Xbone that horribly? Or are they simply too lazy to make their own opinion and go from there? Nothing is completely bad , that is the bias talking.
I was watching the XboxOne reveal and laughing hysterically the whole time... Obviously, that was before the Internet backlash. After that conference I sat in my room, wallowing at my desk in the dark, illuminated only by a small lamp as I rubbed my head in utter shock at the travesty I just witnessed. What I saw is exactly what I feared I would see one day; everything that will eventually kill video games (or, at the very least, consoles). Yes, Watching the Original Xbox conference made me physically ill. It stopped being funny after that.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I'm sure there are people out there who hate the Xbox One because everyone else is, but I also think that much of this hate is justified. In my opinion, Microsoft made some pretty bad decisions with this console. Decisions that is probably making the community uncomfortable. And to top it off, Microsoft reps play it off like it's the people's problem rather than theirs. That tends to rub people the wrong way. There are people who probably liked the previous consoles who feel like they're now part of the group that's being left out because of location, connections, price range, etc. If people were making a huge deal about 1 small thing, then it might be going too far. But this seems like the Xbox One and Microsoft are doing multiple bad things that affect multiple groups of people.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Wesley Au said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:

The way I see it, the Xbone ban of used games is a plus for publishers. The boost from the sales could be used to prop up good discounts ( Similar to Steam , which i THINK does not support used games for the current generation of games at least [Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite come to mind] )

Besides, we are the consumers. Gamers are literally the sole providence of the gaming industry ( Excluding bigger and wider conglomerates like microsoft and pointing towards more indie developers ). If we want to bypass the act of paying money but still play games , we are essentially sticking the finger to the gaming industry (which can't do a thing). I don't blame producers for sharing microsoft's view. Gaming is a consumer dominated industry which is (sort of) calling the shots. Producers just churn out relevant content and hope people buy it.

If the producers are able to earn more money, they have more funding to produce more projects. Right now game developing is delicate ( Heck THQ, after a long and illustrious career in the game industry, pretty much went bust after Homefront ). You cant really blame the producers for this, since they are getting the short end of the stick.

All opinions are more or less unique. There is no "better" opinion because all of them are still valuable.

Also that entire post reeks of bias. And bias = unreliable.
1. Right of First sale.

2. Publishers could stop making their budgets so overblown that their games need to sell unreal amounts of units outside a Mario title to be successful, as the budgets are the one part of the sales equation they have control over. Especially ones that don't really need the marketing. e.g who really has never heard of Tomb Raider? The name was already out there thus they could've spent less on the marketing for it like it was a brand new IP.

3. Purchasing a game used or renting/borrowing from a friend is a good way to see if a game is even worth purchasing new when you might not have considered it otherwise. Low risk high reward for a potential consumer. Money saved from buying used/trading in can be put towards new purchases, much like with cars and houses.

4. Some titles aren't in production anymore and sometimes you can only get them used.

5. Steam has sales so used games aren't an issue; let me know when Microsoft will realistically come down in prices for older titles in their online market. Also publishers getting more money and the savings passing down to consumers is the same trickle-down nonsense that is proven bs.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Pretty much all of the hatred over the Xbone is wholly deserved. The only silver lining with the Xbone is the silver dagger Microsoft is holding as they wait to stab their customers in the back.