Poll: Mindless hatred for the Xbone?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't hate it, mindlessly or otherwise.

I just don't want to buy it.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
"Disappointed" implies I ever expected anything from Microsoft in the first place. :p

But yeah, yet to see an upside yet. I'm also not really impressed with Sony at all, since all they did was show pretty trailers with little to no gameplay. But at least the PS4 is a game console. That seems to be worthy of applause at this point.

I don't hate anything, just don't want it. In the case of Xbone I actively want it to fail, but just because I don't want developers to think they can get away with what MS is doing.

Xenite

Apr 13, 2013
Look at some youtube videos of XB One games, look at the votes. Their you have a perfect example of just how mature most people complaining are.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
My main rationale is actually "fack teh ecks bawkz".

But really. There is little mindless hatred going on here. The Xbone was bad news when rumours were going around, and it got worse as they were confirmed. The worst part is there's nothing Microsoft can do, even if they did handle PR properly. The restrictive features are core to how the thing functions. It was stupid to put them in, but they can't get any better now. I have faith enough in the users here to attribute the hate to the reasonable judgement of the Xbone's features as bullshit rather than group psychology. Although really, the only ones that hate it are probably the people who wanted to upgrade from the 360. Most people look at it with pity here. Or sneer at it.

Sony, for it's part, slipped in paid online while everyone was praising it (as they should) about its decision to retain some of the rights consumers still have. If the Xbone was a straight hardware upgrade of the 360, this would have been the news of the fucking year. People would be annoyed with Sony for not retaining that advantage, I think. I know I am.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Mindless means that there's not reasoning behind it. If you think that there's no reasoning behind it, I suggest reading the articles on this site that explain the massive faults of the Xbone.

What I do see, however, is mindless loyalty: People defend it with the weak excuse of "it's not so bad".

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
You think if publishers made more money that they would put it back into gaming? Like give it to developers for a job well done? Instead of say.... Putting it into a bank account and telling share holders about how good shares are doing? Yeah, that is not how it works. They want to make a game and turn as much profit as possible. Used games help consumers. In case you buy a game you hate you can get a few bucks back on it instead of smashing the disc in anger. Also, a lot of people trade in old games to get new games. Or just to pick up games once they are out of circulation. If they want to stop used games I have the answer. Make games so good people don't want to sell them after playing them for 2 hours.

Why look for the bright side? If you could get a car with better features at a more reasonable price why would you look for reasons to buy the more expensive car? Outside of a couple exclusive games there is zero reason to go with Microsoft over ps4 at the moment.

Anyways, I knew you couldn't trust Microsoft back when Windows 95 came out....

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
What exactly is mindless about it? Surely the fact that a large group of people all agree on its fault prove that there is something wrong, and that in fact it is something said large group of people can agree on. People hating the same thing when that thing is bad isn't mindless surely?

Mindless would be knowing all this and rushing out to buy one anyway just because its called an Xbox, that or a serious case of just not giving a damn.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Wesley Au said:
Andy Shandy said:
Don't take a mass shared opinion as no-one being able to think for themselves.

Actually, it kinda shows the reverse, people aren't just blindly sticking to Microsoft because of any loyalty to the 360, many are actually changing to Sony because they've seen what the Xbox One is trying to do, and don't like it.
Lilani said:
Wesley Au said:
At this point, I think the hatred is perfectly justified. Some people may be ignorant of it and just hating it because others do, but I think those who do know what they're doing have perfectly good reasons for doing so. It has no redeeming values. It plays games...sometimes, if you meet a list of requirements and check in every single day. It plays used games...most of them, and only which publishers see fit and for however much money they want to charge. You can use the kinect...as long as you don't have a small apartment. You can shut off the kinect...as long as you say the magic word. But never unplug it, then nothing will work at all.

I guess...you can play Blu-Rays and watch Netflix? But you need a smart TV to play it anyway, all Smart TVs already come equipped with the ability to surf the Internet and watch Netflix and such. And you can get a Blu-Ray player for a hell of a lot less than the x-bone.

So, yeah. A few people might be mindlessly following the leader, but those leaders are in the right path as far as I'm concerned.
These quotes sum up my position almost perfectly.

Fact is, I made up my mind a long time ago not to get a Kinect for my 360 because I don't want to live in frakkin' "1984," and I sure as hell won't buy the XBOne since it requires Kinect. It didn't take someone else's opinion for me to make that decision.

That's on top of the anti-used games, anti-consumer stance MS has taken. The always online thing is the least of my concerns, but I still find it crappy that if my internet connection goes down MS will "let me" watch TV and play Blu-rays with it, until my connection comes back and I can play my games.

How kind of you, Overlord Mattrick?

Screw that noise.

I know the excuse now is that "it allows devs to create living, breathing worlds, yada yada yada," but fact is, they could do that on an individual basis, with that single game needing an always on connection. The whole console doesn't need to be chained to the 'net. That's just an excuse they're using, to make it sound like MS is "doing it for the consumer's good," when it's solely for their benefit.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
The problem is MS hasn't really given us a reason to like it. Details are vague on some feature, other details are off putting, and then there's the PR surrounding it, which has got to have surpassed EA's in pure shityness level by now. EA Would have at least tried to make the thing sound appealing by now, where as MS seems content to dig it self deeper into the hole they've dug them selves.

It really does, based on what's out there at present that they are just imploding infront of us.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Aside from all the obvious hate in terms of the poor design choices (privacy kinect concerns, trading games and required internet connection) the direct competition, the play station 4, has gambled and come out the more appealing system (at this stage, anyway).

Sony originally aimed at having a lower memory count on their GPU, at a higher clock speed (which would have put the two consoles in the different power delivery with comparable results category, probably with the Microsoft systems higher memory capacity giving it an edge). As it turned out, technological improvements allowed Sony to add more memory on the their GPU chip while retaining the higher clock speed, allowing them to vastly improve the consoles potential processing power and ultimately leading to a very similar console architecture that is simply faster than the xbox ones. Naturally fanboys will crap on about how different systems are different and better benchmarks don't translate blah blah blah. That's bullshit, they are both X86 based systems, and while the operating systems will play a role (and are unique/different) in performance, there's simply no argument that faster processing capabilities is better than an otherwise identical lower clocked system. That doesn't mean that Sony won't balls up the software side of things, but the hardware is indisputably more capable based on what we currently know. Here's a neat little breakdonwn

Sony win another tick for their online service. I've been saying for years that xbox live is terrible value and and terrible service (as is obvious to anyone who is primarily a PC gamer). My PS3 online gaming is every bit as good (in some ways superior) to my xbox 360's. The ongoing (high) cost of xbox live is now larger a deterrent to many people as Sonys alternative is not unproven (as it was at the beginning of the last console generation). There is no risking a shit online service if you choose Sony, we know it gets the job done well (though I do think it's interesting how quickly gamers have forgotten Sonys stunning show of incompetence and loathing for their fans in the lead up to PSN getting hacked).

Is it true as well that the PS4 will be cheaper on release than the xbox one? A quick jump on wikipedia suggests as much, but surely that can't be right can it? At any rate, the cost factor of the microsoft unit does not look good, as it appears to be a less complete package (anyone remember microsoft wanting an additional $150 for a wireless card on the xbox 360?). There is a little bit more known about the network support on the PS4, and apparently it comes bundled witha headset (which is nice), the 500GB HDD can be easily changed (this wasn't the case for the last xbox and I doubt it is for the next one) and there is room for the sony unit to broadcast to/from other devices (vita, android phones etc).

TL;DR
Right now, what we know about the consoles suggests that the Sony product is superior in some areas to the Microsoft product. As best as I can tell, there are no areas that the Microsoft system can boast similar.

Just for the record as well, I won't be buying a PS4 due to an ethical boycott from Sony products. Their treatment of Xperia X10 buyers as well as their fuck ups with the PS3 (like removing linux, inadequate security) have cost my faith in them. As such, I'm hardly a "sony fanboy" and the opinions expressed above are genuinely rational based on the evidence presented.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
They lower prices in order to make themselves the most attractive option in a competitive market.
And of course, when it became apparent that lower prices weren't enough to convince people to willingly use their steam DRM service, they too aggressive action to encourage people to use their service. The community features aren't cheap to develop or implement, it's fucking monumental. And that's the small part of it, free to play titles such as TF2 and DOTA2 encourage people to use their service.
Anyone with shit internet said:
oh fuck steams offline and I can't play the games I paid for..But I guess I spend more time using the free content that they have provided, no other service offers me as much, nor are they as cheap, so I'll soldier through the inconvenience as they make it worth my while.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Wesley Au said:
So thats it then? The Xbone is COMPLETELY worthless and not worth the metal its made with? Is that the whole point of the possibly hundreds of hate-threads on the internet? That....is disturbing. So far nothing in creation has ever been wholly negative. Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done, did contribute to the development of the first space rockets and their deeds formed the basis of the international war crime court.

I just refuse to believe that there is nothing good about it. There is ALWAYS a silver lining regardless how horrible the situation.
You can play Halo 5! If you have internet connection. Constantly. And feel like dealing with the kinect.

You have to cut through a LOT of shit to get to that silver lining.

So at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself: Is the shit-to-silver ratio worth the trouble?

Would you say that the heavy water experiments and V2 rockets were worth butchering 6+ million jews and political dissidents for?

Wafflemarine

Dec 12, 2011
I am just waiting for the red ring of death issue again or something. This would just kill the Xbox and help out us master PC gamer race. Anyway xbox fans feel slapped in the face and they should. Consoles should be as plug and play as possible and xbox said F to that and then said deal with it. The xbox following should feel pissed.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I've repeatedly mentioned some silver linings and how Microsoft could actually turn this around.

Thing is I doubt seriously it'll happen.

The Kinect has huge potential though....and could eventually allow for mass produced home VR systems....it's not there yet though.

Digital distribution....if done right.....should reduce the cost of games for the consumer (or at least prevent the increase in price for the games).

It does not appear the Microsoft is reducing the cost of any games under the price Sony is charging for them though (for physical copies which have a higher cost to manufacture, ship...and sell). While nobody is really looking at that (since it's common across the board right now..everyone is charging as much for digital copies pretty much as physical ones...which is wrong). If Microsoft really went the Steam route though and not only offered prices new at a lower price (due to being digital), but also had sales, and dropped prices much faster...much like steam does, they could possibly gain some ground.

Instead they have jumped on the bandwagon of charging full price for digital distribution, giving no bonus at all to the consumers for having the always alone reqs etc. Kinect is launching with very few games that are going to make even moderate use of it....and there have been no reveals of anything forthcoming that is going to push the bounds or use the new supposedly much better sensing system etc.

The only Silver Lining to be honest is that so far there have been very few games listed as exclusives that many players will miss playing (none for me). That is the best Silver Lining I have seen for the system yet...the fact that we don't need to buy it.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
How about an option like "I don't care because I know Microsoft have for other kind of gamers"

I said it and I will say it again:
Microsoft want customers that love to watch TV, love watching sports, fans of his IP titles and casuals that they don't care about deep details about the functions of the console.

MS made its choice and decided its want these specific customers.
Sure, to us and me sound like MS will fail really hard, but this is not the truth.....

Do you think MS didn't thought of these reactions? I don't think so.
Not only its expected that, but also know MS qmany "haters" will break and will get the console in the end.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
I haven't been happy with the console market for quite a while now. Things like Online Passes, on disk content you have to pay to unlock, the lack of flexibility from publishers on prices especially concerning pure digital downloads, etc.

The Xbone, to me, is the shittier version of the three that are coming out (one of which is already here). On the other hand, the PC market is looking better than it has in years. Even though it has it's own problems with DRM, it's not as restrictive as Microsoft's attempt at it and, if push comes to shove, if you absolutely have to have a game completely DRM free... it can be done.

hatok

Jan 25, 2013
It's not mindLESS
It's mind... uh... ful.
People are actually researching and giving a damn about this product. Microsoft even said they were banking on their customer's ignorance.
The Xbone being terrible doesn't mean it has no redeeming qualities. The Kinect IS a cool piece of tech... but only hackers have actully shown that
I'm glad people are compalining, and I don't think it's gone overboard, either. I hope this doesn't become a Mass Effect 3 ending scenario where it becomes taboo to talk about it, because this is something that needs to eb spread. So many people are planning to buy the Xbone are just uneducated, so I think people need to keep talking, keep bitching.
Whatever it takes

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Microsoft clearly demonstrated what I was talking about for years: consoles are just parasites, artificially creating demand (and a market) for themselves via series of false concepts like "exclusives" nowadays. In current era we cold be using unified compatible and actually competing gaming devices based on a set of all-industry standards. That would be a consumer-oriented market indeed.

zefichan

Jul 19, 2011
Oh no, a company goofed and some people aren't happy. We should do Microsofts marketing for them due to that because....

...because!

Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done
You know the defenders are desperate when they try to use Nazi comparisons to pretend Microsoft is unfairly treated.