Poll: Mindless hatred for the Xbone?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Is it possible that we game devotees may be a little overzealous in our criticism of the XBox One? Absolutely not. It isn't simply about what the system does, it's what Microsoft is trying to do. Which is dramatically shift the dynamic between publishers and consumers so people no longer have full control or even ownership of the games they've legitimately bought. Microsoft wants you to always stay tethered to them, if you go even a single day without connecting they'll revoke your privileges to play your own their games.

If the console is a success, even a minor one, it'll show the rest of the industry that taking away our rights is something we're happy to allow.

And even besides that, there's absolutely nothing about the console that makes it sound even remotely appealing for any reason.

To me it seems almost more mindless to actually defend the thing. What exactly is Microsoft doing to earn our trust and support?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
At this point no-one has the nerve to try and find anything positive about the Xbone for fear of swift retribution in the form of a mindless zombie horde screaming "FANBOY" at them without any trace of irony. Unfortunately the same can be said for criticizing Sony at the moment.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Pretty much all of the hatred over the Xbone is wholly deserved. The only silver lining with the Xbone is the silver dagger Microsoft is holding as they wait to stab their customers in the back.
lol. I like that line, is that from something?
Yea. I have to say. This is more mindful hatred than I'm used to seeing from my fellow gamers. I am a little surprised at the ferocity of the backlash but it seems to me that they're really trying to steamroll their customers into complete consumer helplessness, and many of those customers have finally reached their breaking point.
I also have to say, even if the hatred for this thing was mindless, I would prefer that to the mindless acceptance of all the crap 360 owners dealt with: rrod, online fees(that went up), adsadsads. All that just made things worse for everybody this gen. At least with some mindless hatred, they might start thinking about ways to keep our business rather than test the limits of what we're willing to put up with.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Always online, no trading, region locked(I travel, I buy stuff). That's already enough negative things, and I'm not even sure how the region lock will work, some say if you're not in the correct country then you can't even play.
What. So if im in Europe I can't play in Hungary if I get a game from Germany? Never mind that we won't even get it this year, and you can bet your ass that other then some mayor cities bigger shops that are miles away, I wouldn't be able to trade it in anywhere.

But even if this is not an issue I still won't ever buy a console that needs online connection to work.

Thanks for Halo and Gears MS, they were fun for a while, now get the fuck off my lawn.

Revolutionary said:
At this point no-one has the nerve to try and find anything positive about the Xbone for fear of swift retribution in the form of a mindless zombie horde screaming "FANBOY" at them without any trace of irony. Unfortunately the same can be said for criticizing Sony at the moment.
Sony can suck it too, the way they just sneaked in the mandatory PSN+ for online play. Dick move.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The problem with XBone isn't so much that it is bad as such, it's the principle of the thing. Sure, we could probably learn to live with the features, but why should we HAVE TO? That's the problem, none of the crap they are shoving in there really benefits the consumer. The "benefits" could have been implemented without the drawbacks. But no, people get shafted for no good reason other than one corporation protecting the interests of other corporations and expecting gamers to foot the bill.

Yes, it can be argued that "it's not so bad", but that's like arguing that getting kicked in the nuts "isn't so bad because the guy wasn't wearing steel-toed boots". I'd prefer if he didn't do it in the first place and I sure as hell don't plan on paying him for the "privilege".

As for the games, that's not a reason, that's MS holding stuff you want hostage to get you to agree to their bullshit.

The outrage might seem overblown if you looked at the XBone in a vacuum, but you can't do that - the XBone is something that the industry has been building up for a while now, a product of a trend that's all about giving customers less of a product for more money with more hassle. This was done little by little, over years and years and the resentment has been brewing and becoming more open.

The Xbone is taking the brunt of it because it exemplifies all that people hate about the industry - Needless hassling of customers, corporate arrogance, neglecting gamers because "they'll buy it anyway" in favor of focusing on other demographics and catering to them, etc.

Also, the utter mind-shattering incompetence of MS' PR department deserves a mention. Seriously, who's letting these people talk to the press? Getting a random stoned intern to do your PR would be less of a disaster. The whole "Want offline? Get a 360! LOL :trollface:" debacle is, at least for me, the shining example of a company that's completely lost its shit...

Oh well, let's just hope XBone fails. Not because I hate MS, not because I hate consoles, but because if it doesn't it'll be a clear sign to the industry that we're willing to be bent over and shafted roughly...

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I've seen so many people complain that you can't share games, have none of them heard of the shared games library? I intend to take full advantage if that with my friends on the other side of the country!

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
Wesley Au said:
Yeah sure, the inability to share games IS bad. The possibility of the "big brother is watching you" scenario IS bad. The constant internet requirements IS a low blow.

However, is no one out there trying to find any bright-spots in this mouldering black hole of a topic? Or is everyone simply going with the flow regarding the Xbone and hopping on the FACK TEH BAWKZ bandwagon because they can't be bothered to make their own opinion?

I mean, I don't like the Xbone ( And I own an extremely worn out white 360 ) , but don't you think all this mindless hatred is going a bit far?

Every forum I wonder on, heck nevermind forums, even SOCIAL MEDIA is choked up with tens of thousands of horrible meme jokes berating the Xbone.

So do people genuinely hate the Xbone that horribly? Or are they simply too lazy to make their own opinion and go from there? Nothing is completely bad , that is the bias talking.
There are no options in the poll for ps3 lovers that dont like xbox anyway... is this poll only for xbox fans/customers?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Does anyone actually do that? Like hate things just because others hate them? I guess maybe peer pressure, but you don't really get that on online forums, it's more of a "in person" thing.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
There's a difference between mindless bandwagon jumping and general consensus.

Sometimes a bad idea is just a bad idea, personally I'm just glad that for once the internet seems to be able to collectively agree on something.

Hell, even my flatmate who has no interest in gaming and doesn't understand when I get pissed off over things like Sim City thinks what Microsoft are doing is fucking bonkers.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Wesley Au said:
Yeah sure, the inability to share games IS bad. The possibility of the "big brother is watching you" scenario IS bad. The constant internet requirements IS a low blow.

However, is no one out there trying to find any bright-spots in this mouldering black hole of a topic? Or is everyone simply going with the flow regarding the Xbone and hopping on the FACK TEH BAWKZ bandwagon because they can't be bothered to make their own opinion?

I mean, I don't like the Xbone ( And I own an extremely worn out white 360 ) , but don't you think all this mindless hatred is going a bit far?

Every forum I wonder on, heck nevermind forums, even SOCIAL MEDIA is choked up with tens of thousands of horrible meme jokes berating the Xbone.

So do people genuinely hate the Xbone that horribly? Or are they simply too lazy to make their own opinion and go from there? Nothing is completely bad , that is the bias talking.
The Xbox One is not a bad console, it does have some good features, however not everyone can use those features, that's the main issue. It doesn't matter how good a console is, if you can't use all it's features, then it's a poor console for you. I am fully aware that the Xbox One is more capable than the 360, but I do no need/can't even use the features that are coming with it, and when PS4 is cheaper and has none of the features that make the Xbox One undesirable for me, you can bet that I'm not going to want the Xbox One.

Take what I just said, and apply that to lets say...40% of 20 countries population, because that is literally the reason why the Xbox One is getting bad flack. While I can't speak for everyone, I can speak for myself, and I am saying to you the reason I am not talking about the Xbox One's good features is because I cannot use most of them and there for they are not of worth to me.

I don't hate the Xbox One, I just don't want it because it doesn't suit my needs.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The poll sums it up. It's not mindless hatred - it's exactly the opposite. The hatred flows BECAUSE we have minds, and we can see a cock aimed at our eye sockets and have no intention of letting it run its course.

Mindless would be ignoring all the flaws in an attempt to weakly rationalize losing all your rights as a consumer and giving Microsoft tacit permission to continue fucking you in the ear. The DRM on the Xbone isn't for your benefit; it's for theirs. At that point, you can't just ignore it and try to look for "the silver lining." A subway sandwich with a turd in it still has tomatoes, lettuce, and meat; but are you really going to eat it and ignore the turd?

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
zefichan said:
Oh no, a company goofed and some people aren't happy. We should do Microsofts marketing for them due to that because....

...because!

Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done
You know the defenders are desperate when they try to use Nazi comparisons to pretend Microsoft is unfairly treated.
That is funny because you quoted only part of the sentence. This means

1. You didn't recognise that the message was regarding the "Always a silver lining" point. ( Which pretty much every poster on this thread has recognised )
2. You just don't care.
3.The place you grew up did not teach you how to read complete sentences.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
SILENTrampancy said:
I'm curious if anybody has looked at the numbers yet. I remember seeing somewhere that pre-owned sales were 'within projection' not too long ago...

I keep getting this sinking feeling that, though there is a vast amount of hate and ire levied against the xbox one, and for very good undeniable reason, the system is going to sell enough to be largely profitable.

Microsoft seems too... Confident. They haven't backpedaled or acted insincere. They seem to be whole-hog for their plan, as insane and off kilter it is to us.

So, my only conclusion is that somebody is mistaken. It may be US, and that scares the crap outa me. That, somehow, there are enough apathetic, careless and thoughtless people who are going to buy the xbone out of brand loyalty or true indifference to the proposed flaws.

Gamers the world over have taken a lot of injustice over the year and taken it glady that I just CAN'T shake this foreboding. I feel that the gaming industry is coming to a tipping point, either in favor of gamers or corporations, and it scares me to think that the corporations might win.
Here's the thing though, I think they might be feeling what your feeling and be sorely mistaken. They are hamstringing so many potential sales out of the gate. Just think of the global policy at the moment; 21 countries? Boasted TV features holding absolutely zero appeal for foreign folks? Only allowing a particular demographic to get the most out of an already incredibly restrictive device?

I think that they believe that this imaginary demographic they are appealing to will outweigh (by far) all of the people they are blatantly casting away and I think they will be in for a rude awakening.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
For me the biguest thing is the Kinnect requirement coupled with the online requirement.

IT SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME!!!
The potential on how much Microsoft could spy us with that is mindnumbering, i refuse to have a kinnect in my home, plaine and simple, that things will watch everyone in the house no matter what when it's on and you have no control what it will do with that information

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
They have fucked up their reputation so badly now that the internet is going to hate them blindly no matter what they do. I think it is legitimate to consider that the Xbone is treating game ownership as more of a licensing deal rather then actual product ownership. However if someone does not have any objections to that they should buy whatever they want. M$ f'ed up their PR and are now facing the consequences no matter how good their product is. If they had spent a bit more time trying to ease the idea on the gaming public and not be massive dicks to their consumers they might have gotten away with it.

Apr 5, 2008
You can tell this thread is written by a teen. There's nothing "mindless" about the anger directed at MS for the XB3. And it's anger, not hatred. Anger, maybe disappointment. Like hatred, I'm sure they both lead to the dark side, but there's a difference. Anyone who has genuine hatred for the company or its forthcoming new console has issues that ought to be discussed with a mental health professional.

BTW, why does this need to be it's own thread when there are already plenty of others discussing this exact same thing?

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Wesley Au said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
*puts on hipster glasses*

I thought Microsoft could go fuck themselves before it was cool. And I gotta love threads that start like this. "Your all just following the herd like mindless sheep! It totally has nothing to do with the fact that a lot like minded people visit this site! My opinion is better because it's unique!"

And no, it's not extreme. Microsoft is trying to steer the gaming industry into a direction where publishers have all the power to fuck us over. I'm not okay with that. Fuck Microsoft, I want them to fail. Gee I came up with that all by myself. I must be a special free thinker :D

Edit: also, I see that xb1 had some good ideas like their cloud library. It doesn't matter. Microsoft only added that shit to control their customers. Nuff said
The way I see it, the Xbone ban of used games is a plus for publishers. The boost from the sales could be used to prop up good discounts ( Similar to Steam , which i THINK does not support used games for the current generation of games at least [Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite come to mind] )

Besides, we are the consumers. Gamers are literally the sole providence of the gaming industry ( Excluding bigger and wider conglomerates like microsoft and pointing towards more indie developers ). If we want to bypass the act of paying money but still play games , we are essentially sticking the finger to the gaming industry (which can't do a thing). I don't blame producers for sharing microsoft's view. Gaming is a consumer dominated industry which is (sort of) calling the shots. Producers just churn out relevant content and hope people buy it.

If the producers are able to earn more money, they have more funding to produce more projects. Right now game developing is delicate ( Heck THQ, after a long and illustrious career in the game industry, pretty much went bust after Homefront ). You cant really blame the producers for this, since they are getting the short end of the stick.

All opinions are more or less unique. There is no "better" opinion because all of them are still valuable.

Also that entire post reeks of bias. And bias = unreliable.
So you're going with the "used games are as bad as piracy" and "if used games didn't exist, and publishers had zero competition, they would decrease prices out of the goodness of their heart, despite almost zero instances in business history of a company with a monopoly making things BETTER for their customers."?

Do you know why Steam has such good deals?

BECAUSE THEY HAVE COMPETITION. Pirates steal competition. GoG and other media outlets offer deals. They lower prices in order to make themselves the most attractive option in a competitive market.
Publishers compete with each other. Proof of this is easily seen with the battlefield and COD franchises ( Ok maybe not the best of examples but its quite obvious I think )

Consoles compete with each other, and to an extent, their exclusives.

Oh the monopoly thing is definitely true, look at EA. The problem is, not all publishers are EA-like. Some are small and produce creative and good games ( Neocore comes to mind ) while others cater to niche audiences but still produce good games overall ( Relic and perhaps THQ before they went bust )

The big ones are too big to even bother about the damage piracy/used games could do to their sales. Small ones are highly at risk however. I am going to reiterate the point of dear, deceased THQ. A many year legacy broken by ONE game ( Homefront, maybe that botched up dark millenium project too ). If that doesn't show how delicate a publisher's position is, I'm not sure what will. If publishers had more breathing room ( and not till the extent of the one bad game be all end all scenario ) I am pretty sure we'd be seeing more creative franchises other than the tried and true and extremely worn out "glossed out FPS" , "Gritty Third person shooter" and "Fantastic RPG"

( Also apologies for the huge quote box, couldn't figure out how to remove the quotes of a quote etc )

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lilani said:
At this point, I think the hatred is perfectly justified. Some people may be ignorant of it and just hating it because others do, but I think those who do know what they're doing have perfectly good reasons for doing so.
Exactly. I've come across a few people of whom have been "hating" on the Xbox One simply because they either hate Microsoft or because they've noticed a trend of "hate rants" on Facebook.

However, an overwhelming majority of the detractors I've talked with hold their negative opinions of the One for very legitimate reasons.

It has no redeeming values. It plays games...sometimes, if you meet a list of requirements and check in every single day. It plays used games...most of them, and only which publishers see fit and for however much money they want to charge. You can use the kinect...as long as you don't have a small apartment. You can shut off the kinect...as long as you say the magic word. But never unplug it, then nothing will work at all.
Oh, come on now. It has some redeeming values. Like having access to that awe-inspiring future technology known as "The Cloud"!

I guess...you can play Blu-Rays and watch Netflix?
See?! Further redeeming values!

But you need a smart TV to play it anyway, all Smart TVs already come equipped with the ability to surf the Internet and watch Netflix and such. And you can get a Blu-Ray player for a hell of a lot less than the x-bone.
Well see, now you're just being pessimistic. And I thought we had such a good flow of positive thoughts going...

So, yeah. A few people might be mindlessly following the leader, but those leaders are in the right path as far as I'm concerned.
In all seriousness, this last sentence mirrors my thoughts exactly. There is some mindless hate, but the vast majority are rather mindful of the reasons for their ire.

Besides, it seems more like the OP is attempting to justify the incredibly large quantities of bullshit Microsoft have been "piling up" since the E3 reveal. It's as if he (and many others like him) are suffering from some strange form of Stockholm Syndrome. I almost feel sorry for the Xbox fans. This whole affair must feel like a terrible betrayal.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm off to try to sleep again.

Damn, insomnia sucks...