Poll: Mindless hatred for the Xbone?

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
I think the whole "Is it really that bad" defense skirts the real issue.

First of all let me say: If the Xbone was the only console in existance, it'd make sense to look for the silver lining, since your options are either "buy an XBox One" or "Don't play games". Even in that case I personally would argue that I'd stop gaming for good, mostly because of the principle of it, but YMMV and I could totally understand other people not making that decision.

But: The question isn't "Buy an Xbone" or "Stop playing", it's "Buy an XBone", "Buy a PS4", "Buy a Wii U" or "Buy a gaming PC".
And in light of that question let me ask you one thing: What makes the XBox One the better choice for you? The only valid reason I can come up with are the exclusives, which are highly subjective. Apart from that, and leaving principles aside, it comes down to a value for money argument.

Cons: XBox One is more expensive, has always online requirements, has the less powerful hardware, relies on cloud connection, has a spycam attached, has a built-in DRM infrastructure, the company has a shitty attitude towards valid complaints.
Equals: Both companies have shown their disdain for the consumer in the past. While sony seems to have remedied that this time around, we'll have to wait and see.
Pros: The sharing of games over the web.

So, as long as they don't drop the Kinect, do away with the always online and DRM infrastructure, spice up their hardware and lower the price, it's simply an objectively worse purchase. Once they do that, it comes down to exclusives really. No amount of looking for a silver lining will change that.

And really, I'm not married to Microsoft. Why should I, the customer, look for merits in the console? That's their marketing teams job. They want to sell the thing to ME, not I to the community. So far they have shown zero incentive for buying one, just a bunch of restrictions that MIGHT not apply to me, specifically. And even without those, the higher price and slower hardware still stands.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
I really don't give a shit about it, all this internet and TV stuff turns me off and it doesn't even have support where I live
So fuck that I'm either getting a PS4 or a really good PC

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Just because your opinion is the same as almost everyone else's, it doesn't mean you haven't made your own opinion. No one likes hipsters.

This isn't really about bias. I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate the Xbone because that's what everyone else does, but the Xbone really is genuinely bad. It's objectively worse for the consumer in virtually every possible way compared to the PS4. And aside from the launch exclusives, this will undoubtedly also impact the future game library for the console, unless they pull some miraculous recovery. Which is unlikely. There's just no good reason to have anything but contempt for the Xbone, because whatever positive qualities it has is so eclipsed by an avalanche of shit that they're barely even worth notice.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
Wesley Au said:
So thats it then? The Xbone is COMPLETELY worthless and not worth the metal its made with? Is that the whole point of the possibly hundreds of hate-threads on the internet? That....is disturbing. So far nothing in creation has ever been wholly negative. Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done, did contribute to the development of the first space rockets and their deeds formed the basis of the international war crime court.

I just refuse to believe that there is nothing good about it. There is ALWAYS a silver lining regardless how horrible the situation.
You seem to misunderstand the basic dynamics that are at play here. I am a potential customer and Microsoft wants my business. It is not my job to find a silver lining, it is their job to convince me that their product is worth my money. And all they've done so far is alienating customers, taking customer rights away, telling customers they're backwards for not wanting the product as it is, pretty much telling customers who complain that they're just to stupid to understand how awesome the product is. Newsflash: it is not the job of a customer to make an effort to like the product. It is the job of the business to offer a product that the customer actually wants. So it doesn't matter if there's any redeeming qualities of the Xbone and it's not our job to look for them. That's Microsoft's job, and they're not doing it well.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think alot of people love their 360, and now MS has made buying the next xbox a conflicting choice. They really want it, but cant due to all the negative aspects of it. I understand that, especially if you are a fan of Halo, Gears or Forza. But I think its becoming popular to act dramatic with the hatred.

End of the day, MS told us what they are doing. An we can chose whether we buy it or not. I chose not to buy and have moved on, I still enjoy reading about xbone, but I dont care about it anymore. Like those that still moan about ME3 ending, just let it go and move on.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
It's excusable in this case, because it is far from mindless. The xbone is one of the most absurdly anti-consumer products we've seen for a long time, and a possible threat to the future of consumer rights in videogaming. Damn right people are going to shit on it, because it damn near HAS to be. If enough people buy into their crap, microsoft and other companies are going to think that they can keep trying it.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Wesley Au said:
Yeah sure, the inability to share games IS bad. The possibility of the "big brother is watching you" scenario IS bad. The constant internet requirements IS a low blow.

However, is no one out there trying to find any bright-spots in this mouldering black hole of a topic? Or is everyone simply going with the flow regarding the Xbone and hopping on the FACK TEH BAWKZ bandwagon because they can't be bothered to make their own opinion?

I mean, I don't like the Xbone ( And I own an extremely worn out white 360 ) , but don't you think all this mindless hatred is going a bit far?

Every forum I wonder on, heck nevermind forums, even SOCIAL MEDIA is choked up with tens of thousands of horrible meme jokes berating the Xbone.

So do people genuinely hate the Xbone that horribly? Or are they simply too lazy to make their own opinion and go from there? Nothing is completely bad , that is the bias talking.
I don't get how you think this is mindless hatred you're seeing online. Any of the decisions MS has made is a good reason to not want to purchase the console. There doesn't need to be hatred involved, just a recognition that this or that aspect of the console is something that's going to keep one from purchasing it. Had microsoft made none of their poor decisions and people were still behaving like they are, then sure that'd be mindless hatred. As it stands now, there are valid reasons for the complaints you see online.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
How is it mindless hatred when the problems are very clear? Why do I have to look for positives in something that in no way can make up for all the flaws? Why should I have to do something like look for positives to please certain people?

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Wesley Au said:
So do people genuinely hate the Xbone that horribly? Or are they simply too lazy to make their own opinion and go from there? Nothing is completely bad , that is the bias talking.
The Xbone isn't completely bad.
However you can't state a single positive thing about Microsofts attitude here. They're not actually viewing you as a customer as much as a obstacle they must overcome.
So why would you go to Microsoft that clearly do not want anything to do with you? I mean Sony and even Nintendo actually treats you like a customer and atleast acts like they want you to be intrested in what they're selling. Microsoft on the other hand just goes "For the love of god are you living in ancient Greece or something? If your connection isn't atleast THIS good you shouldn't even be allowed to own a console, let alone question us!".

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
zefichan said:
Oh no, a company goofed and some people aren't happy. We should do Microsofts marketing for them due to that because....

...because!

Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done
You know the defenders are desperate when they try to use Nazi comparisons to pretend Microsoft is unfairly treated.
I wouldn't mind, but his example didn't even serve the point he was making. It was "Sure the Nazis were pretty evil, but we got some good stuff!".
And then I'm just sat there going "Ok, doesn't mean I want the Nazis back though, and it doesn't excuse them of genocide and war crimes".
Similarly, I think the family sharing system sounds pretty neat, I like the idea of being able to share games over great distances but it doesn't mean I'm going to get it in the face of the rest of the anti-consumer policies.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I don't like any consoles because they have exclusives that would run fine on my PC. I do not know how they go about getting exclusives exactly but I imagine it involves some form of back-room deals and money going from a corporate account into somebody's PRIVATE account. A device that controls what programs are put on it and can only be purchased through ONE company? No thanks, I'll stick with a system that allows me to do whatever the hell I want to it.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
I'm wondering how well the whole thing would been taken if Don Mattrick was kept locked in a cupboard somewhere.

Also, if they want to emulate Steam more (which seems to be their ultimate goal, coupled with the possibility of maybe being able to trade in a couple of your Xbox One games) then they could let more indies in, which they don't really seem to be doing (not as well as Sony and Nintendo are, at any rate).

Seeing as the only game that's really grabbed me for next gen systems so far is The Crew, I'm sitting back and watching for now.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Yawn now this is getting tiring.

To the chain of people whose reply is pretty much summarized with LOL UR OPINION IZH NAWT NEEDED CUZ U R NAWT TEH MAJORITEH.

This is a bloody forum for god's sake. And I believe this is the THIRD time i have said, if you cannot handle a new opinion on a topic, by all means pack up and leave the thread so i can have an easier time looking through the posts of the OTHER people who actually bothered to give me some material to look through and conclude my final opinion on this matter.

Your behavior DOES prove that at least SOME of you have the aforementioned mindless hatred.
If you are so incapable of recognising a different opinion, you are mindless or at least not capable of higher order thinking.

Take this joker for example.

Denamic said:
Just because your opinion is the same as almost everyone else's, it doesn't mean you haven't made your own opinion. No one likes hipsters.

This isn't really about bias. I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate the Xbone because that's what everyone else does, but the Xbone really is genuinely bad. It's objectively worse for the consumer in virtually every possible way compared to the PS4. And aside from the launch exclusives, this will undoubtedly also impact the future game library for the console, unless they pull some miraculous recovery. Which is unlikely. There's just no good reason to have anything but contempt for the Xbone, because whatever positive qualities it has is so eclipsed by an avalanche of shit that they're barely even worth notice.
1.Oh damn you mean someone with a different opinion is a hipster? That is definitely news to me. Thank goodness everyone in the world holds the same opinion yeah? Oh wait...

2."But the Xbone really is genuinely bad" Back it up.Cite.Explain.

3. " Its OBJECTIVELY worse " Better google-fu the word objectively. It clashes heavily with your "hipster" point and "avalanche of shit"

I can count six un-cited and unproven and not even explained points. Pointless, worthless, go away.

Right, generally speaking , from reading all the other posts, people dislike the Xbone due to personal preferences and while there are positive points to the Xbone, the cons far outweigh pros, and until then, Xbone will remain an inferior hunk of metal to the other consoles out there. The hatred isn't mindless because everyone has their own reasons, they just happen to be common reasons.

Yes I think I understand. Thank you.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
There's something wrong with that idea, that there can be "too much hate" for something that truly deserves it. As if there's a maximum quote of criticism that is allowed to be made about something and once it's met everyone has to just pipe down and keep their opinions to themselves. The thing is, Microsoft's initial Xbox One reveal was a fiasco, an embarassment, one of the biggest bungles in the history of gaming consoles and a quite offensive attack on the very people who made the Xbox a viable property. It deserves every single ounce of hate that it gets.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Zhukov said:
I don't hate it, mindlessly or otherwise.

I just don't want to buy it.
Dump me in this camp as well. I'd only be pissed if I was planning on getting it. It seems as though all the dumb shit they're doing is biting them in the ass anyways.

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
Even Ubisoft and EA have changed their stance on used games at this stage. EA by stopping it's online passes and Ubisoft basically said the used game market is a good thing.
Yeah...because we all know they will obviously never change their tune again when it suits their needs, right? ;)

Except make games we want to buy at launch, offer good DLC and expansions and as Nintendo put it make games people want to keep. Instead they keep getting criticised for making every game ape Call of Duty and then sell nowhere near as much. They want to earn money? Actually listen to customers and give them what they want. Stop thinking games need such ridiculous budgets and stop thinking 6 million units is a failure. If 6 million new copies sold in the launch window is a failure then they made the game wrong.
Yes. Better budgeting needs to happen. Got nothing to do with "listening" to consumers. I won't even try to explain this here. It would take too long. Summary: Just because they don't always hit the nerve, doesn't mean they don't try their damn best to do so and there is as yet no formulaic design that can guarantee you success.

Well that's not true and if it were it'd be a good thing.
How is it not consumer dominated? Millions and millions each year buy CoD despite the loud forums claiming the game is a piece of trash. Who would you listen to? A bunch of angry guys on a forum, or the tens of millions who spend money on a product?

Without actually bothering to check if it's what people want then ignoring it when they find out it isn't and then sinking millions making it. Anything that makes the industry less bloated and retarded is a good thing.
This is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. I won't say that they always draw the right conclusions, but to say they don't bother to check is just ridiculous.

Then they should hurry up and make stuff people are excited for.
People seem to be quite excited about a lot of games coming out of E3. The market is growing. It seems like people are still kinda enjoying a large part of what this industry pumps out.

Haha yeah, games earn millions, even after used game sales you have to account for DLC and expansions. I'm going to throw my lot in with the consumer cheers.
Games also cost millions. And that is even if you budget correctly and don't overspend and everything. Gamers still get an unparalleled amount of entertainment for a ridiculously cheap price when they buy a game the majority of times.

That's actually just a lie people tell their kids. Informed, reasoned opinions are always better. "Tea is better than coffee" is equal. "I'm not getting my kids vaccinated because it causes autism" is fucking retarded.

It's not just the features that are the issue with the xbox. The real issue is their attitude to the consumer that has outraged people. "You're really backwards", "We're over-delivering on value", "we have an offline console, it's called xbox 360" constantly assuring us we'll understand when we try it, rather than trying to make it clear before I give them 500 bucks. Their attitude is fucking disgusting and that's why I won't support them.
Microsoft is evolving their console in a way that a lot of people find undesireable right now. Personally, I can't be bothered to have an opinion, because I am a PC gamer. Point is, you really can't know if it will work out for them right now. Sony is doing nothing. They do the same thing they have done for the past 8 years, no innovation, no change. Some people say that's good and that is their right.

But things change. And MS is betting on an internet based future for consoles. Is that the right way to go? Don't know. Are they communicating it right? Heck no.

Also that entire post reeks of bias. And bias = unreliable.
And you are completely unbiased, right? ;)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wesley Au said:
So thats it then? The Xbone is COMPLETELY worthless and not worth the metal its made with? Is that the whole point of the possibly hundreds of hate-threads on the internet? That....is disturbing. So far nothing in creation has ever been wholly negative. Even the Nazis, for all the abominations they have done, did contribute to the development of the first space rockets and their deeds formed the basis of the international war crime court.

I just refuse to believe that there is nothing good about it. There is ALWAYS a silver lining regardless how horrible the situation.
OK: It does in fact play games and probably doesn't commit suicide or actively injure the player, making it better than the Virtual Boy.

But your Nazi comparison is a bit too apt: Just because a few completely expected good things came along with the awful doesn't excuse a damn thing. There's a reason we don't celebrate Nazi rocket technology nowadays.

OT: If you read ANY threads on used games, internet requirements, Kinect or console prices from the last few years, the response to the Xbox One is so expected I could set my watch to it. It assaults literally EVERY consensus we've reached here that it touches.

jnixon

May 27, 2013
The xbox takes away almost all our rights as a consumer but OH GOODY A NEW CONTROLLER, are you stupid? this isn't mindless hate for no reason this is hundreds of reasons why microsoft are fucking you over it isn't mindless everyone has thought about how shit it is and is obviously annoyed...