Poll: MLP Has Jumped the Shark

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
PFFFFFFFFT HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....

oh man, the freakouts people are having are hilarious.
Back in season 2 i was thinking that the show might lose some luster in season 3 since its completely without faust's input, but these past few weeks have just proven that the only thing losing ground are the absurdly critical fans.

Every single major complaint that I have heard of all the episodes this season are so arbitrary and dumb that I'm convinced that people are just trying to invent problems with the show.

Now BRB, gonna go rewatch some season 1 then maybe go outside and fly a kite and pretend its rainbow dash.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
mronoc said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
Yeah, I'd certainly never say it was great, just that kind of works in it's own way, a very broad, melodramatic, Disney-ish kind of way. I think the reason I tend to be lenient towards ACW, is that my expectations were thoroughly lowered by the fact that I found so many of the later season 2 episodes unbearably dull, specifically Dragon Quest, Hurricane Fluttershy, and MMMystery on the Friendship Express.
Admittedly I liked MMMystery and Dragon Quest, though I can see how the later was dull. Hurricane Fluttershy I couldn't agree with more - though the interactions between RD and Flutters were very enjoyable, the episode overall felt forced and lackluster. Season 2 in general felt like it was going in the wrong direction or that the team was getting burned out, with the greater emphasis on flanderization and an overall far less lighthearted tone. Season 3, to me anyways, is for the most part a massive improvement; though I still say that Season 1 was the best. It feels like the characters are much less flanderized this season and the comedy is generally more creative (Magic Duel and Crystal Empire aside, though I do give the two-parters some slack on the comedy department).

My main thing though is the lightheartedness of the show and keeping true to the characters; and while it's much more lighthearted than much of Season 2 (especially the later half of S2), it's still not quite as lighthearted as Season 1. Character wise, it's possibly the most spot on yet with again a couple notable exceptions - particularly "Magic Duel" in general, Spike in "Spike at Your Service", and Twi in "Crystal Empire". Seeing things like RD, Rarity, and Applejack talking to each other casually about AJ's predicament with Spike (and the little part about RD's fanfiction, with Rarity's lovely retort XD) or how Pinkie's back to her old school comedy (the mustache!) really has warmed me up to this season.

I tangented again, I think. Sorry about that, but this whole conversation is fun and is reminding me why I watch this show. Thanks for that.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Speaking as someone whose job revolves around subtext, I think the show has just begun to be ground breaking. It's dealing with more symbolism and artistry then ever before, and to be blunt, there was basically no major transition. Discord, then the changelings brought in A LOT of more adult subtext and symbolism. These things have become more frequent with some more heady concepts in Season 3: Double gangers that represent your worst traits (which happened twice, once literally with Pinkie and once metaphorical with Rainbow's dramatic foil, Lighting), Chaos becoming harmony, dreams revealing subconscious fear, etc.

This is juxtaposed to more...typical episodes like Apple Family Reunion or the one that just aired today. There's nothing wrong with them, they can be funny or charming and what not, but that IS quite the contrast. I'm sure that's throwing some people off. It's a show with some major variety, and it no longer consistently aims itself at a broad base. Scootaloo's dream episode to me is what all episodes should be, a balance of jokes and subtext and artistry that all audiences will get, with only some things that only adults will figure out.

The show is growing. Rapidly. REALLY rapidly. It's going to change, and I can see some growing pains, but I still like the direction it's going. Not sure what my favorite season would be honestly. I praise season 2 for a strong start AND finish though.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Change of staff (especially higher up), safe marketing attempts, and short seasons often lead to plot holes and poor development. I wasn't enthused after watching season three, but I'm not surprised either. It's happened over and over and over again in so many shows, regardless of fanbase. If it picks back up, great! If not, then I'll still appreciate the show for the seasons I've enjoyed :)

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
health-bar said:
PFFFFFFFFT HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....

oh man, the freakouts people are having are hilarious.
Back in season 2 i was thinking that the show might lose some luster in season 3 since its completely without faust's input, but these past few weeks have just proven that the only thing losing ground are the absurdly critical fans.

Every single major complaint that I have heard of all the episodes this season are so arbitrary and dumb that I'm convinced that people are just trying to invent problems with the show.

Now BRB, gonna go rewatch some season 1 then maybe go outside and fly a kite and pretend its rainbow dash.
This... so much this... wait for me, I'm coming along.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I'm still impressed by the fact that MLP ws the only show that has made me want to vomit out of it's sheer cuteness. I could go on rollercoasters all day after eating Taco Bell and I still wouldn't feel as ill as watching MLP for 5 minutes.

I would have liked to have liked it, buuut... n'yeah, you learn something new about yourself everyday.