Poll: Mother punishes adopted child by forcing him to drink hot sauce

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
So, this woman basically tortures a kid because he lied? I couldn't even watch that video till the end. I mean, I can understand a slap. I can understand taking away his toys. This is a total overreaction. It's not like he killed someone...

EDIT: Rewatched the beginning, seems like it wasn't the first time.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
What she did is child abuse. Plain and simple. You do not make a child put hot sauce in it's mouth or force them to have a cold shower. This makes me sick, if a family member did that to my Daughter when I wasn't there. I would not be held responsible for my actions.

I hope to god that poor Boy is taken away from it and can be with a family who will love Him and disapline him properly through talking, not hot sauce and cold showers.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Verlander said:
By that admission, waterboarding isn't torture. The act is physically, and psychologically intimidating. While it may not be as bad as being whipped, it's still a non constructive form of punishment. I never had any of that, and I'm not running round in a gang, swearing like a sailor or anything. In fact, I don't know any body who did, and you know what? We're all great people.
I assure you, this form of punishment is constructive. It works. Also, something tells me by nature a punishment shouldn't BE enjoyable. Because if it is, it ceases to be an effective punishment. I just realized something, you ACTUALLY compared being forced to taste tobasco sauce to waterboarding. The hell is wrong with you?

Verlander said:
And tobasco may not be hot for you, but different people have different thresholds, especially young children. Tobasco to this child could be like habanero or worse sauce in your mouth for a few minutes, which is pretty unpleasant for a child. This is physically and psychologically harming, both are. I'm not saying don't punish your kids, I'm saying theres a better, more effective way than physically hurting them.
I'm not joking here. I'd be incredibly disappointed if my child found tobasco sauce physically (or psychologically) harmful. What's next, preaching against spanking? My lord people are wusses these days.

Verlander said:
Well I don't know anyone who said that on here, but I don't think that. It would nullify my ow point. She shouldn't be allowed to foster children though
Quite a few people talked about causing the mother rather noteworthy physical harm. At least I saw it while browsing it. These people have serious problems.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Yeah the mother went overboard, but nothing she did ever threatened the child's overall health. Yeah this will be a sort of trauma for him, but I can't imagine raising a child without giving he a few trauma's.
Parenting is hard! People make mistakes! The mother tried to raise him, did so in a poorly way, but tried to never the less! Less the mother should learn how to raise a child differently from this! But you can't expect a person to just become a perfect parent the moment a child steps into their lives. I'm with the woman on this, if she betters her behavior then I can see no real harm in what she did.
The theory behind the method was good though, she went overboard like I said. But in theory she acted appropriately. Punish the child shortly after the misschieve, tell him what he did wrong during the punishment, tell him how he/she should better himself during the punishment. I don't know wetter or not she said to the child she still loved him afterwards, that's vital too. But if she also said that, then I wouldn't call her a bad parent, just one that still needed to perfect her techniques a little.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Chibz said:
FeralCentaur said:
Washing a mouth out with soap isn't really painful, it just tastes horrible and there's not much chance of the kid getting hypothermia from tasting soap.
Hypothermia? Are you crazy? Again, it's just tobasco sauce. If my mom punished ME like that I'd get into trouble more often! Actually, I think this is a horrible & cruel punishment. And we don't lie in this house (With smiles on face)
I was speaking about the forced cold shower actually, although I suppose a cold shower wouldn't get a kid hypothermia although it could still make him ill or sick.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
She shouldn't have yelled at the kid or had him take a shower, the hot sauce though IMO is fine. Since my parents put a little pit on my tongue if I swore when I was younger

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I was in tears at the end of the first video. She's one sick person, that child should be put into protective services. People who abuse children/spouses/animals really make me sick :(.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
FeralCentaur said:
I was speaking about the forced cold shower actually, although I suppose a cold shower wouldn't get a kid hypothermia although it could still make him ill or sick.
Cold showers? I've been taking those since I was a kid. You can't REALLY get that ill from a cold shower. At worst you'd be shivering for a bit.

A Dictionary said:
the act of inflicting excruciating[footnote]The pain wouldn't have been excrutiating[/footnote] pain, as punishment[footnote]It's used as a punishment, I guess.[/footnote] or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.[footnote]It was used as a punishment. None of these apply.[/footnote]
Not torture. What's next, "Mother Sued For Taking Away Adopted Child's XBox"?

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Chibz said:
FeralCentaur said:
Cold showers? I've been taking those since I was a kid. You can't REALLY get that ill from a cold shower. At worst you'd be shivering for a bit.
How cold were the showers you took though and wouldn't be possible to get something like a cold from that?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Chibz said:
I assure you, this form of punishment is constructive. It works. Also, something tells me by nature a punishment shouldn't BE enjoyable. Because if it is, it ceases to be an effective punishment. I just realized something, you ACTUALLY compared being forced to taste tobasco sauce to waterboarding. The hell is wrong with you?
It's constructive in the two dimensional terms of "never doing the punishment again", but what about the longer ramifications? Contempt towards parents? An overly aggressive stance on punishment? Potential problems in forming emotional commitments? I'm not saying that punishing your child is wrong, I'm saying that physical punishment is wrong, regardless of pain.

And no I didn't, I actually compared washing children's mouths out with soap to water boarding. Your definition was that it was just water and a funny taste, and didn't hurt... well, I'm sorry, but the same applies to water boarding.

I'm not joking here. I'd be incredibly disappointed if my child found tobasco sauce physically (or psychologically) harmful. What's next, preaching against spanking? My lord people are wusses these days.
Give a newborn baby tobasco, watch it's reaction. EVERY human builds up a resistance to these things, you aren't just born with strong tastebuds or whatever

If you cannot raise your children without the need to resort to physical violence, then you are an inept parent. This has nothing to do with being a "wussie" or whatever. The worlds hardest, strongest man could raise his children without physical vilence, does that make him a wuss? There isn't any need, and if there is, the parent is a failure

Quite a few people talked about causing the mother rather noteworthy physical harm. At least I saw it while browsing it. These people have serious problems.
I agree with that, hypocrites the lot of them

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Huddo said:
Lately in the news, there's been a number of broadcasts detailing the story of a strict mother in Alaska, who, after discovering that her adopted child had lied to her about an incident about the young boy's school, forced him to hold hot sauce in his mouth for an extended period of time, then forcing him to take a cold shower afterwards, all the while yelling at him about what he had done wrong.
Here's the actual news story:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/8749128/us-mother-charged-for-hot-sauce-punishment/

The mother was a guest on the Dr Phil show, and upon seeing the footage below, audience members were appalled at the punishment, and Dr Phil's wife even spoke out:

(Edited for embed)

The mother is currently being charged for child abuse, and if found guilty, she may have to have her adopted son transferred back to his home country.

So, Escapists, what are your thoughts on the matter?
The only thing that grates me is the idea the kid's going to be deported, if that's what you mean by 'return to home country'.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
She shouldn't have yelled at the kid or had him take a shower, the hot sauce though IMO is fine. Since my parents put a little pit on my tongue if I swore when I was younger
That seemed more like a mouthful.

Chibz said:
There are better ways to punish a kid. First of all, shut up about Tabasco not being bad, many kids, and even adults don't tolerate spicy food. That was a mouthful, it's not like a pinch of pepper on your tongue when you swear. Second, I'm 20 years old, and cold showers give me the feeling that I can't breathe. How do you think a kid is gonna feel?

I'm not saying the kid shouldn't be punished in any form. I'm just saying that taking away his TV is better than going right to causing physical pain.

guyroxorz

Apr 21, 2009
This is disgusting, it actually makes my spine shiver listening to the child cry like that. All the poor boy did was argue about pencils by the sound of things, fucking hell he can't be older than 4-7 and no one at that age can be held fully responsible for their actions. That video displays nothing short of child abuse, that woman is a horrible horrible human being and doesn't deserve to have custody of any children. I hope she gets charged for this, it actually makes me sick seeing that a human could do this to another human, let alone to a child.

The Aimless One

Aug 22, 2009
"Don't you spit it at me!....Swish it!.."

This makes me feel sick.....
This woman is not fit to raise a child as far as I'm concerned.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Well... considering who I am, I want to punch the woman. Such is like torture to a child.

But then again, I oppose all forms of punishment that physically harms a child so... you all may disagree.

Though, it would be nice if we knew what he did.

EDIT:
Holy Shit, I just finished watching the videos. I want to beat the shit out of that woman, put fire in her mouth and throw her into a vat of liquid nitrogen. Why the hell does she still have custody? Take him far away from her. NO child deserves that treatment. EVER. People say I'M a danger to children? LOOK AT THAT. THAT IS HORRIBLE. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT. He'd be better off in my care, damn.
I'm with you, man. If a parent can't restrain their rage or find a non-harmful solution to parenting issues, they're bad parents. No matter what a child has done, there's no justifying violence towards them, or in this case, torture.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Ren3004 said:
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
That seemed more like a mouthful.

Chibz said:
There are better ways to punish a kid. First of all, shut up about Tabasco not being bad, many kids, and even adults don't tolerate spicy food. That was a mouthful, it's not like a pinch of pepper on your tongue when you swear. Second, I'm 20 years old, and cold showers give me the feeling that I can't breathe. How do you think a kid is gonna feel?

I'm not saying the kid shouldn't be punished in any form. I'm just saying that taking away his TV is better than going right to causing physical pain.
Wow your right, why the hell did I think she just put a little on his tongue, now I really dont agree with what she did.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
FeralCentaur said:
How cold were the showers you took though and wouldn't be possible to get something like a cold from that?[/quote]

That, good sir, is a very common misconception. Colds aren't caused by the cold (This is a misnomer). They're rather caused by a virus. I mean sure, it's probably not pleasant for someone not USED to a cold shower but it isn't in any sense of the word physically harmful. This just goes back to people being wusses.

Verlander said:
It's constructive in the two dimensional terms of "never doing the punishment again", but what about the longer ramifications? Contempt towards parents? An overly aggressive stance on punishment? Potential problems in forming emotional commitments? I'm not saying that punishing your child is wrong, I'm saying that physical punishment is wrong, regardless of pain.
You're seriously putting a lot of faith into the "This is torture" card aren't you?

Verlander said:
And no I didn't, I actually compared washing children's mouths out with soap to water boarding. Your definition was that it was just water and a funny taste, and didn't hurt... well, I'm sorry, but the same applies to water boarding.
You're honestly comparing something with serious psychological rammifications to a mild inconvenience. Yeah. You're pretty much out of logical arguments. Waterboarding is so horrible because it simulates the sensation of drowning. This is... "so horrible" because it mildly inconveniences the child. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! COMPARABLE!

Verlander said:
Give a newborn baby tobasco, watch it's reaction. EVERY human builds up a resistance to these things, you aren't just born with strong tastebuds or whatever
He's frickin' EIGHT. I don't see how "newborn baby" fits in, but seriously. Stick to the topic at hand.

Verlander said:
If you cannot raise your children without the need to resort to physical violence, then you are an inept parent. This has nothing to do with being a "wussie" or whatever. The worlds hardest, strongest man could raise his children without physical vilence, does that make him a wuss? There isn't any need, and if there is, the parent is a failure
Physical violence? PHYSICAL VIOLENCE?! You're JOKING right? How is this "Physical violence"? Oh wait, I've been successfull trolled... Hats off to you, good sir. You've won.

Verlander said:
I agree with that, hypocrites the lot of them
And should be rounded up and drowned in ammonia![footnote]I kid, I kid. Please don't yell at me.[/footnote]

Ren3004 said:
Tabasco sauce is NOT hot. It has a relatively tiny scoville rating (Roughly 2500). It's a hot sauce in the same way wine coolers are a potent alcohol.