Poll: Old School rap or New School?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
RaNDM G said:
Old School. Everything before 1995 was boss. Now it's all about pimps acting pimpin' pimpin', girlies with their booties shakin', and felons with their dollars wavin'.

If that makes sense to you guys.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Despite me being only 24, I much prefer the older stuff compared to today's constant "club bangers". Anything past 2004 (around the time "Get Low" - by Lil' Jon ft. Ying Yang Twins dropped) I get wary of.

And I'll definitely take "The Message" over any scatterbrained gibberish Lil' Wayne says any day.

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
If Blue scholars, atmosphere and Aesop rock count as new school then I'd have to go with that but 2pac and Guru (from gang starr) will always be my favorites.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Novs said:
You mean Hip Hop?

Old School Hip Hop is hailed as the "Golden Age" for a good reason.

Its motherfucking awesome.

TehCookie said:
New rap, because there is only one rap artist I will listen to.
Unless there is another artist who blends rap and jazz that I don't know about.
Alot of Hip Hop dudes sample Jazz.

But try some A Tribe Called Quest,Nujabes and Madlib.

artanis_neravar said:
artanis_neravar said:
The Lonely Island is the only good rap, and they are better then any other rappers past present or future. There, I said it
When I get ignored that means I win.
That said other then my above example I find rap to be very uninspiring
..... good for you...

Why dont you remain in your comfort zone elsewhere.
No thanks, I was actually waiting to see if anyone would try to change my opinion on rap, but instead every just seems to want to insult me interesting

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
TehCookie said:
Try Aesop Rock. A lot of his older stuff (before the album "Bazooka Tooth") had a jazzy vibe to it.

His rhyme style is very unconventional, replete with obscure movie, cartoon, video game, and Japanime references. But that's what makes him one of the best rappers in the underground scene (subjective, I know; just try to roll with it).

retrochimp

Dec 13, 2008
I listen to Doseone who is so new school that he has an honorary doctorate from the university that will be named after him in 20 years.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I pick "Old School" but what I really like isn't so much the Golden Age of Hip Hop (early to mid 80's) as it is 1988 (NWA debut) until about 1998. Rap between those years was amazing.

The Notorious B.I.G
The Wu Tang Clan
Big L
NWA
Nas
Outkast
2pac

Todays rap CAN be good, but it isn't as consistently good as it was during that time period.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Kipohippo said:
Novs said:
Just by saying that, all you know is the Hip Hop on the radio.
And by saying that, I know you are a rapist.

Oh wait, making assumptions is stupid.
He's actually somewhat right. Just like you made the assumption that rap is just, in your own words:

Kipohippo said:
annoying wannabe gangesters inspiring even more wannabe white gangsters.
That's just like saying all FPS' are about space Marines. Or that all fighting games area bout randomly smashing as many buttons as fast as you can or memorizing long button combinations.

You may hear stuff like that all the time because that's what sells, and that's what the majority wants. Keep in mind that most people don't look past the radio. Furthermore, unlike gamers who are very quick to tell someone what they want in a game, music fans - especially those who like rap - are very hesitant to say what they want in rap music, the general consensus being better lyrics (even if they're about nothing), better personas with better stage names, better production, better sounds... the list goes on. Actually speaking about it will get you, at best, some funny looks and at worst, possibly killed.

If I may test a theory, do you listen to Eminem? Or Paul Wall?

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
There's good stuff in both. Namely, MF Doom, Madlib, Odd Future, Madvillian, Aesop Rock, Dilated Peoples, Ghostface Killah's newest album for new school and Wu-Tang, A Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5, Method Man for old school.

Though I have to admit I can't stand 2pac and I only like Biggie's freestyles.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
No thanks, I was actually waiting to see if anyone would try to change my opinion on rap, but instead every just seems to want to insult me interesting
I don't think s/he's insulting you. If s/he did, I'm sure they would've come up with something more scathing than that.

And maybe s/he felt your comment had no real relevance and simply wanted you to leave? Sure, it probably could've been better phrased, but come on. That's jumping to conclusions, don';t you think?

You're really willing to take the time to explore and expand? Try some of the following; they're some of my favorite rappers/producers:

Rjd2 (producer)
Aesop Rock
Atmosphere
The Wu-Tang Clan
Mr. Lif
El-P (I don't like him too much, but you might)
Sage Francis
Criss Chords (Nerdcore rapper, ever heard someone rap about Dr. Robotnik or cheat codes?)
Random
Living Legends
MF Doom
Canibus (be careful with this one, he drops a lot of science and he's also very vulgar)
Eminem (don't go past Encore, he fell off that album)
Busta Rhymes (don't go past Genesis, another one that fell off after a point)
Ludacris

That's all I can think of off-hand. There's always the older stuff, again, if you really wanna expand your horizons, so to speak.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Kipohippo said:
Neither, but i have heard eminem, absolutley terrible imho. Its all about drugs, pimping, ect. for the most part.
Eh, not quite, but I'm glad I have to bust out a certain observation...

If you can find something to change my mind, im all ears. But thats not the reason i dislike rap, i dislike it because it sounds like a dr. seuss book.
Too cookie-cutter huh? You'd probably hate Ludacris then...

Try this song here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i3wE2M1BBI]. It's one of his (or their) earliest works, back when he was more known for battle-rapping. Now he's something akin to "emo-rap" without being all depressed and whatnot. His rhymes are more... down-to-earth, for lack of a better term.

Here are some of his other songs from other albums/time periods.

*This song is based on an actual event.

Have fun. Or try to. :p

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
SageRuffin said:
TehCookie said:
Try Aesop Rock. A lot of his older stuff (before the album "Bazooka Tooth") had a jazzy vibe to it.

His rhyme style is very unconventional, replete with obscure movie, cartoon, video game, and Japanime references. But that's what makes him one of the best rappers in the underground scene (subjective, I know; just try to roll with it).
Bazooka Tooth is probably his worst album, especially with the fucking terrible El-P "featurettes". Still, it's not uncommon (the whole "nerd" fanbase references), especially nowadays, to have all that crap.
Deltron 30-30, most notably Deltron Zee, i.e. Del Tha Funky Funky Sheet/Funky Homosapien, Sir Diesel or whatever the fuck he wants to call himself, is (or are) well known for it, and their music is fantastic.
MF Doom is known for it aswell, but only because that's all he can fucking do. Release 10 songs about comic books, constantly resample them and re-release them, get rich and forget about the people who got you to where you are = MF Doom.

It's cool how it's impossible to talk about underground hip hop/rap - especially with the whole "gaming forum" in mind - without Atmosphere, MF Doom, Aesop Rock or Deltron 30-30 popping up. I know Doom and Deltron 3030 have somewhat similar lyrical styles, but where do Atmosphere and Aesop Rock fit in? Besides them both being white and good at what they do (though i don't really like Atmosphere)...

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Oh man, 2004 is old school?
Both old school and new school can be great.

The Kendrick Lamar one is the best.

My old school list isn't too great, but it gets the point across. It's really hard to compare because both have good songs and bad songs.

Of course, I'll have to say "new school," because Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper out there.

shitoutonme

May 26, 2011
Tupac, Biggie, NWA, Ice Cube, Lonely Island, Beastie Boys? WTF?

All of them are WHACK compared to this new rapper commin' up in the industry!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tufujnbzU[/youtube]

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Old school all the way. I think that the genre has lost a lot of what formed it to begin with. Of course, at the same time, new school doesn't have Devastatin' Dave.