Poll: Personal Issue with Batman: Arkham City

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I understand the OP's reasoning and I agree with it almost in full. In this case however, I just want to play the fackin game when it comes out so I've already pre-paid my PC copy off. I did get it from GreenManGaming with a discount coupon, a total of $30...that's my FUCK YOU right there. At least I'm not paying anywhere near full price for it. I could hardly give two shits about having all 73 little outfits, fuck that I just want to beat the shit out of the bad guys on the streets.

At least mine will come with Catwoman too, really no big deal not to have the extra outfits.

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
I don't see this as "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT". DLC and "extras" aren't stuff that's been removed & held hostage to squeeze you for extra cash. They're extra: things that most studios never would have bothered spending the money to develop in the days before DLC. And they don't cost you extra - big-name games are pretty much $60 USD no matter what. Buy the game from them and there's absolutely no down-side whatsoever.

The only people this hurts are:
A) Completionists who MUST have every costume.
B) Used game buyers

"A" are enough of a psycho minority type that they can be either ignored or courted with high-margin "collector's editions". "B" are not their customers.

I'll repeat that: If you buy Arkham City used, you're not a customer of Rocksteady or Square Enix. It doesn't make you a bad person or anything - it's fine that you bought it used. But they saw jack squat of your money, so they just don't care about you. Best thing they can do is try to win a few people over who were thinking about buying it used, but "oh hell after I buy the DLC it'll be the same price anyway, why not just grab it now so I can chat about it with my friends & score that extra costume".

Every single one of those people is a new customer for the studio. I'd put money on more people moving used->new to grab free stuff than moving new->used because they have a personal issue with the way free stuff is distributed.

Edit: removed quote, I kinda got off-topic from what I was quoting...

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Developers, make me a solid game and I won't buy it used or sell it. Not my fault that I want to get rid of a game if I don't feel it's worth my time.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Doesn't matter, nothing too important will be cut out. A bunch of skins and optional parts of the game with a (sexy) cat lady will not make that much of a difference. But hey, I pre-purchased Arkham city already so I am gonna enjoy playing as cat woman as well as Robin in the challenge mode (got it from Best Buy). I prefer the Robin bundle pack to a different looking Batman.

Stevo92

Aug 23, 2010
I'm buying it new cause I want the game, I don't give a balls about a character skin since it doesn't effect the game at all....it's dumb to go I'm not gonna buy it or buy it used cause of one thing, completely stupid.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Once again, this topic comes up.

I hate that they do this to incentivize (is that even a real word?) buying a game new. I only know the stats for the 360 but apparently 30% of owners don't have LIVE. So this means that 30% won't get all the content that they are entitled to when they buy the game new. How is that fair in a single player game?

For me, it was going to be a day 1 new purchase but their greed has just turned me into a person to buy it used. As a consumer, I can only really vote with my dollar and with these tactics my vote disapproves.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
While I agree this kind of stuff is BS, you might as well still buy it, the only thing this is gonna accomplish is making you miss out on a awesome game. Besides it's not the developer's fault - It's normally the Publisher who decides to do stuff like this (Warner Bros.)

I wish someone organized a mass protest of these anti-used games tactics used by Game Companies and everyone just agreed not to buy games that did this, eventually causing this shit to stop....but that isn't ever gonna happen.

You could always buy it used a couple of days after launch and just miss out on the Cat-women levels, it's better than missing out on the whole game and none of you money will go to Warner Bros....but none of it will go to the hard working passionate devs at Rocksteady Studios either...

Gerard Hughes

May 8, 2011
I dont care about the add-ons
I only buy dlc for games that I whore out too(Bioware Games) and when I do I dont mindplaying a little extra

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I'm waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition. I can't really spare the money to buy it and the only game I'm buying new this year will be the Metal Gear Collection.

In the meantime, I'll probably borrow it off my brother and likely just have to deal with not having the Catwoman stuff. At least I'll have more to do when I play it later though right?

Iron_Man_977

Jul 21, 2011
cookyy2k said:
Iron_Man_977 said:
for one, while its hard to believe, rocksteady is not made up of alien wizards. they are humans like you and me, and they need things like food to survive, so they are just trying to rake in some cash. also with the skins they are realising the skins later as DLC, so here's what you do: buy from amazon and save about $20 on taxes & shipping (they discount it once it gets above a certian price, and $60 is high enough)then use all the money you saved to get even more skins than you would have by preordering!
Strangely enough if you buy used rocksteady already got payed for that item, they already had a hearty meal from the sales. They put no extra effort or outlay into the game since it was sold once so they should get no extra money when it's sold again.
while that is true, often when buying used it is from someone who already owns the game. while you may be buying it from a store selling used copies they're just ensuring that they keep the income going a long time from now untill they've had enough time to make another game

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
WindScar said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hey they gotta make money somehow...
By which I mean "Isn't it enough selling the game itself?"
If only it were...
For years it was. The pre-order stuff is total bullshit too. If your game is good, it will sell. No need for 5 characters from separate retailers to increase hype. All it does is sucker in people who may not have bought it otherwise, like with Brink and it's cluster of pre-order bonuses.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
FoolKiller said:
I hate that they do this to incentivize (is that even a real word?) buying a game new. I only know the stats for the 360 but apparently 30% of owners don't have LIVE. So this means that 30% won't get all the content that they are entitled to when they buy the game new. How is that fair in a single player game?
It's not a real word, but we get your meaning.

As for people not having LIVE...I was one of those people. And it was EXTREMELY frustrating. I actually sold my 360 and got a PS3 almost entirely because of that. (The other part of the reason is I like the PS3 exclusives)

Really sucks for those people. It really does.

dogmachines said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
WindScar said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hey they gotta make money somehow...
By which I mean "Isn't it enough selling the game itself?"
If only it were...
For years it was. The pre-order stuff is total bullshit too. If your game is good, it will sell. No need for 5 characters from separate retailers to increase hype. All it does is sucker in people who may not have bought it otherwise, like with Brink and it's cluster of pre-order bonuses.
Video games cost more and more money to make, but they can't charge any more for it. They have to increase their revenue somehow. Besides- They're a business. Their entire purpose is to make as much money as possible.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I have no problem whatsoever. They're purely cosmetic and do not affect the gameplay for one thing. And chances are, they're going to come out as cheap DLC later.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I'm still buying the game mainly because the work on it is sold and I don't think the creates of the game should be punished for the marketers money grubing.

Also the batman skins is actually an ethical markeeting stratergy because it's saying "Pre-order and for that we will give you these skins" which do not effect the game in the slightest if a person does not own them. They are a trivial reward for being loyal. While those that don't buy the game through pre-order or second hand they might not get skins but it does nothing to the gameplay so they have nothing to complain about.

The Cat-woman unlockable content (I don't use DLC because nothing is actually downloaded) on the other hand, made me want to cancel my pre-order on the spot. it is wrong to lock content that is already on the disc from people who have bought it. It's like selling someone a car but then taking out the radio or A/C and selling it seperatly.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
WindScar said:
Hello fellow Escapees.
Recently, I have seen what is going on with Arkham City, and I have decided not to buy it.

I was a huge fan of the original game, it was great and I felt real joy when City was announced, but now I see that they are doing just about everything to the game that I hate.

They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes

And as if that wasn't bad enough for me, they also said that if you bought it used, you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.

I don't know about you guys, but this business model speaks only "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT" to me, and I despise it. I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
I just saw a vanilla walkthrough WITHout catwoman.

It was fucking amazing.

Anyway, Just wait till it releashed as DLC. Other then that. Just buy the bloody thing. If you buy it new, it's already in the case.

As I pointed out earlier. All the skins will become DLC in the future. You decide which one you want, then you pick it out.

Personally, I think the skins look awful (except for the 1980s batman one. That was fucking awesome).

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
WindScar said:
They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes
Uhh, the point is to add variety to the bonuses, you're not supposed to get all six costumes. I don't see how this is a money grab unless they're going for the "OCD patients with too much expendable income" demographic.