Poll: POLL: Sci-fi bodymodding. Bio or Mech?

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Mrhappyface 2 said:
Where's the nano augmentation? I want to be like JC!
Nano bots, or nano chemestry?
I'll admit I'm not up to speed on the difference there, but I'm pretty shure there is one. :)
thanks for feedback and vite :)

obliviondoll

May 27, 2010
I voted both. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Artificial senses can in some ways pick things up which natural ones can't, but have blind spots biological modifications would easily cover.

Also, bio-modification would allow for faster reflexes and greater flexibility/agility than mechanical augmentations, but mechanical upgrades could provide greater durability and hitting power.

Also, high levels of mechanical alteration would trigger immune responses which could only be effectively quelled by either wrecking the immune system (See War of the Worlds for examples of the problems this would cause) or require some level of biological alterations anyway.

This is, of course, barring any unforseen advances in either technology, for example, biological augmentation which unlock incredibly powerful psi-abilities or some kind of highly advanced nanotech capable of seamless integration with an unmodified immune system. Neither of which really fits with the spirit of the question.

Oomii

Dec 17, 2009
I want cybernetic eyes (cause a real life hud would be awesome) but otherwise I'd want bio upgrades. They just seem more flexible and reliable.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
I say Mech over Bio. I would swap a few parts out for mechanized replacements.

Fewer risks (metal is stronger than flesh, metal doesn't get sick), and my current knowledgebase is in computers and hardward, so throwing a mod on my cyber-arm would be up my alley, rather than moding a bio-replacement.

RetroViruses

Aug 7, 2008
Biomods, any day, every day

First of all, I'm assuming it has gone as far as possible in terms of research, so that any biological augmentation, either in an animal/plant/bacteria/etc is applicable to humans, as well as certain homebrew mods that are within the realm of reason.

First off, give me a few more amino acid generators and nutrient producers, and a chloroplast and whatever is in a chemoautotroph, so I can survive with just sunlight and water, or just chemicals, or the standard human method of eating. Give me a more efficient method of cellular respiration where it recycles Oxygen or converts other chems to Oxygen so I can live anywhere with an atmosphere, and not need to breath for hours at a time. Give me cell regeneration for near immortality, and extend my cells life so the can reproduce as many times as they damn well please. Induce many periods of quick acting puberty, or perhaps integrate some DNA from a very large animal, so I gain several tons in muscle mass, and several meters in height. Expand my brain size 10 or 20 fold, reintroduce a baby's ability to retain infinite information that reforms the brain and specializes it to specific tasks that I undergo every day of my life. Give me the near bulletproof hides of many animals, the razor sharp teeth of a shark, a reinforced bone structure from a large elephant, altered slightly so I retain my ability to stand on my back legs, and a monkeys tail. Give me a trees ability to continue growing for 4000 years, and remove the ill effects of aging. Allow me the jumping ability of the jackrabbit, or perhaps the flea, the rapid movements of a panther or hummingbird, and the sprinting abilities of an ostrich or cheetah. Give me the nose of the bloodhound, the eyes of the owl, the inner ears of a rabbit, a dolphins echolocation, a fish's ability to detect electric fields.

So yes, I do prefer the biological modifications...

(I realize 1 or 2 of those things are slightly beyond the realms of reality, at least in our lifetimes, but a man can dream, can't he?)

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I'd go for a mix - as long as the mech stuff remained internal - I don't really like the idea of having my external appearance being altered too much.

Not that I'm vain or anything. ;)

barash

Mar 29, 2010
Bio, unless we get self-replicating metals (for automatic self-repair). If we get that, then mix n'match.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
The3Apocalypses said:
Biomods, any day, every day

WALL OF TEXT

So yes, I do prefer the biological modifications...
Dude... you've given this some thought!
thanks for the vote and feedback :)

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
barash said:
Bio, unless we get self-replicating metals (for automatic self-repair). If we get that, then mix n'match.
even though I'm considering a bit of sci-fi setting, you might want to read up on nano-tube technology. We're almost at the self-replacing metals already :)
Thanks for your vote & feedback =^_^=

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Mechanical perfection! Glory to the Omnissiah!

I'd prefer to mix and match though, at least one mech arm would be rather awesome, but there are bits that would probably be best kept fleshy...

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I'd like a robot arm/hand. That would be so awesome, all the different attachments! Like, a whisk, or a glass, or cutlery, or a grappling hook, or a drill... the possibilities are endless!

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
there are bits that would probably be best kept fleshy...
say no more, I think I know of which part you think of... :p
thanks for your vote and feedback :3

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
T-Bone24 said:
I'd like a robot arm/hand. That would be so awesome, all the different attachments! Like, a whisk, or a glass, or cutlery, or a grappling hook, or a drill... the possibilities are endless!
A SPORK! Every swiss-army knife should have one! :eek:
thx 4 your vote and feedback =^_^=

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Ekonk said:
I'd go full bio if mix 'n match wasn't available.
Any aestetic or moral reasons? Just like the fleshy feel? (just being curious :3)
thx for your vote and your feedback ;)

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Mech all the way. I mean Bio is nice and all, but I'd rather have metal alloys and advanced tech making me an ultimate badass.