Poll: Revolution 60 has been Greenlit

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Eeeh. I'm not interested simply because I don't really see anything novel about the game. It probably plays fine, but I don't see anything particularly unique about it and that is basically the only reason I buy indie games.

I will say that it took me quite a while to figure out why the art/graphics bugged me so much, but I did finally make up my mind. It isn't that the art style is bad (it reminds me a bit of crash bandicoot to be honest), its that the character art and graphics are mediocre-to-good range, but the enemy models and environment art are shithouse.

If you take a look at some of the screenshots, you can see this huge visible decline in quality between the player character and the environments, and I found it really jarring - similarly the enemies are just bluh. Reasonably well textured, but having a different and far less exaggerated artstyle than the player character.

I get that you want to spend most of your time and energy on the player characters because they are what you will spend the most time staring at, but there shouldn't be this visible of a difference. The art style at least should be consistent - with all the smooth lines and polished curves on the player characters and the blocky roughness and two-tone textures of the environments its like watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
darkhallwaygames said:
I just love how the trailer starts with "My men are dying out there"
For those who don't know it has an all female cast.
To be fair, I think she says, "Minn, my friends are dying out there."

Still, the game features some truly Shakespearean-level writing.

Certainly not the work of an arrogant, no-talent hack who thinks she's solving sexism in gaming by making all of the villains faceless men and all of the protagonists Caucasian women.

And now that I've looked into it a bit more, I'm left with a few nagging questions:

The game was supposedly built on Unreal Engine 3, so how the living fuck did they manage to make it look so bad? Was it on purpose? Why do so many of the art assets look as though they were stolen from either other projects or from free asset archives online?

Why are so many publications, like Kotaku, C|Net, and others, praising this game like it's some revolutionary new beacon of quality within the industry? All I keep seeing are taglines like "it's the most ambitious game ever" or, more baffling, this summary from iMore, "The modeling is gorgeous, the animation delightful, the music engrossing, and the voice acting outstanding."

Really? Are they serious?

For that matter, how has this game won Game of the Year awards? I mean, granted 2014 wasn't the best year of gaming ever but to give a GOTY award to this game?

I can't shake the feeling that, had this game been made by anyone else, it would have been relegated to the bargain bin, like all shovelware, and forgotten within a week.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Looks like something I might pick up on sale if it wasn't for the zero-effort modeling. I'll say over and over that the original Wind Waker holds up today because its graphics are stylized, but this "style" seems to be the result of a lack of knowledge (of whatever 3D software was used, of human anatomy, and of basic design theory) rather than a conscious design choice.

Not really picking up on an overarching plot from the trailer, so I guess that leaves the dialogue to vouch for the writing. Doesn't seem terrible, but as with most story/character-driven games, it's still several tiers below even an average novel or film (giving Witcher 2 an exception, but since it's based on a book, that's a bit unfair). The voice acting is better than most anime dubs, at least, but sounds like it has some equalization issues here and there. I've heard far worse.

Guess I'll watch a stream or Youtube or something, see if it's worth more than a quick video.

EDIT: Gave it a chance, watched a Youtube of it. It's worse than I thought. This has a GOTY award? How? From whom? Off the top of my head, the writing alone is completely flattened by Transistor and Banner Saga. Those two alone also have much, much better art, much better gameplay, better sound design (R60's music sounds good, but the whole zero-effort thing shows in every other department).

ClockworkAngel

Nov 9, 2008
Judging solely by the trailer, gods no. This looks terrible. Everything about this game looks awful. But I can say that about most games that get greenlit.

As for the other stuff .. just .. I don't care. I don't. I can't.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Ehm. No. Sorry, not interested. Wait, not sorry, just not interested.

It reminds me of the mix between an early ps2 space game, and a certain type of early ps2 game for girls, where the developers just designed their characters after whatever franchise they are making, and just. Stop caring. Bratz games and such, only the Bratz models are actually better-looking. :/

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Looks really shitty. Admittedly, I'm hugely picky when it comes to art style/art design. Graphics be damned, if the game has an art style that bothers me I really can't play it. It's why I've never gotten into jRPGs. So that said, this game looks to have one of the worst art styles with some of the ugliest characters that make Oblivion's cast look like beauty-pageant material y comparison.

Needless to say, no thank you.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Haerthan said:
Considering all the harassment that they went through and other people go through it daily I am just going to leave you with this: Showing empathy and compassion to people that have been harassed is something decent people do. If you simply ignored them from the beginning they would have faded into obscurity. But you proved them right. Also the "professional victim" card is straight up victim blaming. Sure don't like their games because of the way it looks, the way it plays or the story. But bringing in that card is just showing yourself as a victim blamer.

And yes they would have made it past Greenlight. There is worse crap than Rev 60 that made it on Greenlight. Also Depression Quest might be a simple game, but at least it tries to raise awareness about something that affects a large chunk of population.
I don't care how much harassment a person goes through, the second they start trying to use that as a way to promote a commercialized product any sympathy I once had for them is gone. That's what Brianna Wu did, she asked people to vote for her game not based on the merits of her the actual game but how much it would show those nasty trolls. That's not even getting into just how hilariously bad she's taken this whole thing to the point it comes across as if she has something like Munchhausen Syndrome. Or how Zoe Quinn pretty much fabricated the whole Wizardchan "trolling campaign" when her game wasn't doing so good on Greenlight.

Also, I couldn't give any less of a shit about "raising awareness" for any subject, especially when that's pretty much the sole thing that the game has going for it. I judge a game based on it's merits alone, the intention and message of it has very little bearing on the grand scheme of things.
How about you provide a source on that please. Because I haven't seen her ask people to do that shit.

Also the intention, message and meaning of the game is completely part of the merits of a game. But hey I asked if you were interested. I didn't ask you to come with unproven allegations.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Beautiful artstyle. Very respectable graphics for an indie game.

The trailer was well done, good editing, but it failed to inform me what the game is about, how does it play, or even get a basic idea of the story (From what I've seen, it takes place in space and/or the future, the characters are members of some kind of squad or team, and it plays like a.. tactical game? There's also bike riding of some sort?).

Oh, and for moments I got this creepy "uncanny valley" vibe when the characters were talking.. I don't know if it was the animations or the dialog that were kind of stilted (or both). Good voice acting though, especially for what I assume to be a small team of devs. (Too bad for that one gal whose mic sounded poor quality, the redhead IIRC).

Would I buy this game?

I'd have to see a review first, or play a demo. For the moment, I don't think so. I have a very limited budget right now and my gaming depends mostly on Stean sales, so it depends on the price. But I don't see any reason why this game shouldn't be Greenlit. It definitely looks more interesting than Zombie-Crafting-Survival Game #9574

Oh, and to the people who hates this game just because of the person who made it, and her opinions: Grow up, you &%$#@!

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
So I just took a look at an LP video of the game. The art style is about the least of its problems. It's full of lamer-than-usual QTEs and has a very weird combat mechanic. At first I thought it was going into a turn-based combat segment but it's not. It's real time, but just... so weird. I dunno what you'd call the combat, but it looks boring as shit. The voice acting is sub-par too. About the only thing that doesn't seem terrible about it is the music, which even then isn't much to write home about.

Nah, I dunno who Brianna Wu is or why she's controversial, but feminism has got nothing to do with any bad press this game will receive. It is mechanically shitty.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Why do we have 3 pages dedicated to a meh greenlit game?

What is so special about this one?

Am I missing something vital....it looks like a random poor game, I could be wrong but the trailer shows me nadda

So why are we caring?

EDIT: Oh social justice warrior nonsense - yawn, really people? Can we change the record, please?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Certainly looks crappy and the "It's like Mass Effect meets Heavy Rain!" description just has me snickering in disbelief, but it's hardly unique in terms of Greenlit garbage. I will say that it irks me somewhat that the game is nothing more then another battleground for two equally terrible sides to fight over in the most pointless and retarded war in all human history, offline and online.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Nah, I dunno who Brianna Wu is or why she's controversial, but feminism has got nothing to do with any bad press this game will receive. It is mechanically shitty.
It also irritates me that legitimate criticism of a product is going to be dismissed on ideological grounds, which is bull of the highest order.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Apparently, Brianna Wu is some GamerGate celebrity. It doesn't matter, the game still looks like it came out 15 years ago. Kind of reminds me of Oni. And no, it's not about "graphics". The art just doesn't look good, or maybe it's not for me. Thomas was Alone is one of my favorite games and I'm having a hard time thinking of a game with less graphics than that other than text adventures. The Bridge is a black and white puzzle game and it looks good. I'm not even sure this game belongs with the rest of the games commonly found in those week long deals on Steam.

Either way, my guess is a lot of people will buy this and it will be a huge success, all things considered.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I like how this supposed "feminist" game has an exclusively female cast, consisting entirely of unrealistically slim women with big breasts wearing skin-tight outfits.
But no, you guys, it's EMPOWERING when we do it!

Just for the record: I have no problem with games or any media featuring mostly attractive people, as their supposed to be escapism. It's just funny that this "feminist" game features the same things, that are called out as sexist by other "feminists".

noahd

Sep 21, 2010
writing, voice acting, graphics, game play, all made on the dime. all so bad, no one really cars about her game. but she's a feminist, and she's all about being a victim, and her feels. so she hopped on and said it was ggers that's why her game is getting bad reviews before it's even released. she gets told that all these things are not up to par with anything we've been given since 2008. and anything just as bad as this have been told they have been bad without putting blame on the patriarchy, trolls, ggers, or male dominated game dev teams, etc etc...

she says she's tired of unrealistic women in games, and then puts unrealistic women in games. she says it's all the anti-sjw, anti-feminists, ggers, and white cis men, and so on that is the reason for all of her troubles. she's a double standard on herself. so you'll hear her talking about patriarchy, privilege, boys clubs, anti-women, and other types of angles she can say to make her out to be the victim. half the time i think she has a backlog she uses because of hate content she receives after people notice how fowl of a women she is that the entire online world that; doesn't agree with her and doesn't kiss her ass/applaud for being a women - is her enemy.

i'm not even joking, this is the future of women's rights. being used to profit, or for personal gain rather than a whole.

i don't care if anyone supports her, or anyone buys her game. just realize it'll be going down the drain, and could be used better else where. she just wants to be known as feminist that made a game, that and being the victim that most people that put their lives out on the internet receive. i think of her as an hot air balloon. like many other 'feminists' 3rd wave feminists that try and make a point out of things they barely understand and try to blame it on men.

recently the 3rd wavers, the sjw's have been peeking up with the amount of hot air they're putting out. a lot of it not making any sense other than "MY FEELS!" or "work is hard" or "why can't i get money for doing less work or even nothing?" and that's a lot of it. it's ok to be a feminist, but a lot of them don't understand what a feminist is or where they came from, or the feminist movement that came before them that is different from theirs. it wouldn't be so bad if a lot of it wasn't proven wrong, and deceitful due to people wanting to gain the system. they want their cake and eat it too, plus yours as well. they want short term action and reward than a long well thought, well rounded movement.

so that's why every other month you've seen another feminist movement doing something shady, or doing something that is trying to make women look like a victim and men the oppressor. feminists of the 2000's all about buzzwords, sexual and racial discrimination like 60's didn't happen. and to put icing on the cake, it's because these kids weren't taught enough either in class or by their parent that when they go out in the world. it's now rape culture, patriarchy, or under privileged anything they can get their claws into.

tbh, i'm surprised brianna wu hasn't been caught in hate speech for some of the things she's put online. remember; if a women does it, it's ok. if a man does it, it's misogynistic. and you wonder why people don't call them misandrist with these type of people.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
So...

anorectic well-endowed Mary Sue saves the galaxy with her equally anorectic and well-endowed friends?

I'm sure I read this fanfic already.