Poll: Revolution 60 has been Greenlit

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
I was interested enough to look into the thread and watch the tailor. I wont be buy this game though, maybe if I had Apple things I would get it for ios.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Haerthan said:
How about you provide a source on that please. Because I haven't seen her ask people to do that shit.

Also the intention, message and meaning of the game is completely part of the merits of a game. But hey I asked if you were interested. I didn't ask you to come with unproven allegations.
Source? Just check out all the tweets about how she thinks the only reason Revolution 60 was getting downvoted because she was a feminist that dared to make a game rather than it just being a rather shit looking game. Or how upvoting her game was somehow showing those nasty trolls and shit among that tangent.

As for the message, I suppose that has some sort of bearing on the game, albeit a rather small one that's vastly outweighed by far more important things like gameplay. The "intention" of the game or how it "raises awareness" matters jack shit in the grand scheme of things. It's like focusing on the steak sauce rather than the actual steak. No, scratch that, it's like focusing on the inedible garnish rather than the actual steak. I could make a game with an incredibly great message trying to raise awareness for, I don't know, african genocide or some bullshit but that doesn't really benefit anything if the game I've made is something even an amateur developer would be embarrassed to call their own.
Post them, the onus is on the accuser to put up the sources and evidence.

Yes it does. The intention of every piece of art, whether games, movies, books and every other piece of art matters. Otherwise there is no point to it at all. Everything that deals with humanity has more than one meaning, politics, etc etc.

Amaror said:
I like how this supposed "feminist" game has an exclusively female cast, consisting entirely of unrealistically slim women with big breasts wearing skin-tight outfits.
But no, you guys, it's EMPOWERING when we do it!

Just for the record: I have no problem with games or any media featuring mostly attractive people, as their supposed to be escapism. It's just funny that this "feminist" game features the same things, that are called out as sexist by other "feminists".
That would be right if your assumption, of a feminist hivemind, would be true. There is no such thing and feminists disagree among each other. Furthermore feminists aren't against sexy characters, just characters that are portrayed nothing more than objects.

Csptcha: corned beef. Tasty.

Edit: added some stuff and grammar

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Haerthan said:
Amaror said:
I like how this supposed "feminist" game has an exclusively female cast, consisting entirely of unrealistically slim women with big breasts wearing skin-tight outfits.

Just for the record: I have no problem with games or any media featuring mostly attractive people, as their supposed to be escapism. It's just funny that this "feminist" game features the same things, that are called out as sexist by other "feminists".
That would be right if your assumption, of a feminist hivemind, would be true. There is no such thing and feminists disagree among each other. Furthermore feminists aren't against sexy characters, just characters that are portrayed nothing more than objects.
I did not mean it like that, but let me rephrase my statement.
Given that many videogame critics that identify as feminists claim that depicting scantily clad women with unrealisticly proportioned bodies is a clear indication of sexism and hatred of women by the developers, it is rather ironic that a female developer also identifying as a feminist creates game were all characters are scantily clad women with unrealisticly proportioned bodies. Because in the end this leads to the assumption that by the standarts of these videogame critics Brianna Wu and her team are also sexists that hate women.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Amaror said:
Haerthan said:
Amaror said:

I did not mean it like that, but let me rephrase my statement.
Given that many videogame critics that identify as feminists claim that depicting scantily clad women with unrealisticly proportioned bodies is a clear indication of sexism and hatred of women by the developers, it is rather ironic that a female developer also identifying as a feminist creates game were all characters are scantily clad women with unrealisticly proportioned bodies. Because in the end this leads to the assumption that by the standarts of these videogame critics Brianna Wu and her team are also sexists that hate women.
But you are ignoring a large chunk of their criticism. Those scantily clad women are not subjects (or protagonists), they are nothing more than an object for the male protagonist to fight for. Kinda like "fridging" a female character, only instead of death (which is also common) they are captured and used as bait. Also considering the whole game features only a female cast, your argument doesn't exactly make sense.

Feminists, at least the ones I know, are not against scantily clad women as long as they have character and are treated as subjects. They are against women being portrayed as nothing more than objects of desire.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I don't get this game.

"Sciencefiction story about an all-female taskforce featuring Typing of the Dead-style gameplay"? Sure, sounds like it could be fun, I'd give that a try.

And then the game looks like that. It reminds me of Winx Club without the sparkles. Or maybe one of those 'sexy videogame girl' drawings you'd see in the 90s. I write for a publication that accepts fanart and some of the 13-year-old girls send in drawings in similar artstyles. They have an excuse: they're 13. What excuse does this character designer have?

The gameplay also sounds like something a kid would think up. Type out your feelings? WTF? If you're going to tell a decent story, don't use a sledgehammer to get everything across to your players.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Haerthan said:
But you are ignoring a large chunk of their criticism. Those scantily clad women are not subjects (or protagonists), they are nothing more than an object for the male protagonist to fight for. Kinda like "fridging" a female character, only instead of death (which is also common) they are captured and used as bait. Also considering the whole game features only a female cast, your argument doesn't exactly make sense.

Feminists, at least the ones I know, are not against scantily clad women as long as they have character and are treated as subjects. They are against women being portrayed as nothing more than objects of desire.
That is good for the feminists you know, but i have seen many that differ. I have seen enough feminists enraged about the character of Bayonetta. And that character is clearly powerfull, independent and in full control of the situation. Yet she dares to dress in a sexy way, which means she's clearly sexist.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Um...no. No I am not interested. At all.

That looks absolutely atrocious. I don't want to be overly harsh but that looks like utter shit. It just looks bad. Fractally bad, in fact.

If the asking price is more than five bucks I might even consider it a scam.

Just...that rendering engine and art style...

*shudder*

Anyone that lazy, amateurish, and uninspired in their engine and asset building is likely just as lazy, amateurish, and uninspired with their game design and writing ability.

[edit]
And now I actually hate this game and am disgusted by the people behind it. From what I've gathered, the primary reason this game even made it to Greenlight was because Wu played the "victim card" by claiming, "The evil Gamergaters want to shut us down! Stand up for what's right and upvote us!"[footnote]Paraphrased.[/footnote]

That's as fucking scummy as it gets. Fuck this game.
For extra bonus points, this game cost over $400,000 to make.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Amaror said:
Haerthan said:

That is good for the feminists you know, but i have seen many that differ. I have seen enough feminists enraged about the character of Bayonetta. And that character is clearly powerfull, independent and in full control of the situation. Yet she dares to dress in a sexy way, which means she's clearly sexist.
And again feminists disagree with one another. Although you do kinda have to admit that Bayonetta was a bit dodgy because of the camera work focusing in on it, not because she dressed in a sexy way. And it was only one review dude. Doesn't mean that every feminist is going to agree with that review.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
This looks like ReBoot. As in, it looks like twenty years old and didn't age well.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Looking at it, all I can think is, "This would have been really impressive 20 years ago." But in 2015, it just looks dated and crummy.
I don't usually care much about graphics, but this just looks like ass to the point of being distracting.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
"Heavy Rain meets Mass Effect" ... said by the developer herself as a marketing line, never by the press as now claimed.

Receiving a "Game of The Year" award ... from your Podcast partner of the highly esteemed games review website iMore.

Appearing on several mainstream media outlets claiming "I'm on the run, driven from my home by death threats" when a large smudge on the background wall proves you're still in the same house.

$13K a month in Patreon donations accrued by playing the professional victim. Bragging about using said funds to buy a flashy motorcycle.

Was handed $200K by her parents to start developing games ... likes to talk about the many 'privileges' of others.

Calling anyone with a legitimate gripe about your game a misogynist.

That's about all you need to know about SpaceKatGal.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, googling the title yielded gameplay that looks atrocious.
So no, I really have no interest in it.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I watched a LP of this game. I think the real tragedy here is that people will pay money for this. I don't think many will do this but it's very sad all the same.
Getting people who don't understand that downvotes in greenlight are meaningless to come and upvote the game because your haters are downvoting it in droves was a real dirtbag move too.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
The description for that game calls it "Heavy Rain meets Mass Effect", but the screenshots look like a rejected Reboot episode and the gameplay videos on YouTube show a very dull game. Not interested.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Haerthan said:
Post them, the onus is on the accuser to put up the sources and evidence.

Yes it does. The intention of every piece of art, whether games, movies, books and every other piece of art matters. Otherwise there is no point to it at all. Everything that deals with humanity has more than one meaning, politics, etc etc.
Like i said, go through her Twitter. I can't be assed to do so since last time I did I was nearly blinded by my bile leaking out of my eyes. You should have no problem though, just take a look at any of the posts from when it was going through the Greenlight phase.

Also, sure, a good message or "intention" can make a good game better, but it's going to do jack squat for a game that's already shit or at best completely forgettable like Revolution 60 and Depression Quest. Also, art doesn't need a "point" as you say. The very act of creating it is all the point you need
So i read her Twitter.Out of all those tweets i found only 5 tweets where she talks about the GG-brigade going on about her Greenlight. So yea of course she will counteract against the BS that GG put up:
https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/562732762617372674/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/562773719253528582/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/562796517816545281/photo/1

If you are blinded by the bile against her, then you are part of the problem, not solution. Also that is the way you post links.

ALso all art has a point beyond what the artist intended. Culture 101.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
it looks terrible, like, bad rats level of animations and graphics, and the gameplay doesnt look much better

but well unfortunately just about every piece of crap makes it through greenlight these days, i guess thats why the new curation system exists