Poll: Should Link be female in the next Lengend Of Zelda

Darthbawls77

May 18, 2011
[Kira Must Die said:
]I'd actually liked to see a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character. She has proven herself to be a capable fighter in several of the games, at least more so than someone like Princess Peach. Instead of items she could gain different spells to get around dungeons and solve puzzles. Just as Link has to face several trials to prove that he's a true hero, She should also be facing several trials to prove herself as well, or perhaps a more traditional setting where Link's the one in trouble and Zelda has to save him instead. I think this would be more of a breath of fresh air than just simply genderbending Link.
This has been done before in Zelda Cd-I so it wouldnt be new or fresh but maybe this time they came put more effort into the gameplay and art direction cause it was seriously lacking. But you should youtube some video of it for fun to see what I mean. I would love to see an awesome Zelda game with a well done Zelda as the lead for sure.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Treblaine said:
I wasn't trying to say you were trying to get other character to change genders, I was trying to say I honestly don't care what gender the character is, I just think it's pointless to do it. I addressed the sexism issue because you gave it as a reason why it should be done, to combat the "sexist" trend. That's the reason we should do it, that's the reason you gave to doing it, so I addressed that.

It seems like a bit of a leap to say but what do I know. Maybe it's a lot more damaging and prejudiced than I give it credit for. The only Zelda game I haven't played is Skyward sword, so it's not like I never played the game, and you're the one getting angry over this.

It's an opinion thread, so I said that I thought it was pointless, then you said it should be done to combat sexism and I said I didn't see how it was sexist. I'm just going to drop it now, kind of a conclusion post I suppose. Have a nice day, you can have a female Link, i'm not against it, I just don't see the point.

Apr 24, 2008
scorn the biomage said:
Scarim Coral said:
Not really, having the gender switch alone doesn't really bring anything new to that game.
it doesn't take away anything either
Well it might for the hardcore, you never know what they're projecting onto the characters they like.

A gender option might be a worthwhile thing. I think that it would probably be a better idea to come up with new characters at some point though. Are we so creatively bankrupt that we have to resort to overhauling what we already know? No, we can make more... Especially Nintendo, whose characters are generally shallow.

Darkbladex96

Jan 25, 2011
Treblaine said:
Darkbladex96 said:
There are ways to mess up a female link. First and foremost would be making the exact same game and forcing Link to be female. A gender choice option should be used in that scenario.

But if Link it to be female, it should be at the reinvention the series, not because link is a female(well actually because of this), but because it would seem like a new chance to actually make link a character.
Why is that so often said, but never:

First and foremost would be making the exact same game and forcing Link to be MALE. A gender choice option should be used in that scenario.
See how reversing the gender illustrates the false sense of entitlement? That they are entitled to forcing players to use a male protagonsit but cannot force players to play as a female.

Now you're not JUST saying "there should be a gender option", you're saying this PRECISELY because there in a female lead that you don't have to.

Statements like these do nothing but reinforce female protagonists as being so unacceptable as the player MUST have the choice to avoid playing as one. If it's a female protagonist there MUST be choice to play a male, but if male, the implicit statement is there is no need for any choice.

Bruenin said:
JimB said:
I don't have a complaint really :p I just don't think they should make Link female, it'd be a bit of a hassle story telling wise because they have an audience that expects a male character and they'd have to deal with that and it'd just be easier to star Zelda.

You asked about the Goddess thing so i'm just trying to find a way to explain my reasoning better
The audience should know that each new Link is a TOTALLY NEW INDIVIDUAL! Chosen not because he is any reincarnation or reboot of a single individual, but because that thye are simply a Hylian has the courage to be a hero of Hyrule.

Half of Hylians are female.

The the variations in the appearance of the different heroes of Link are about as broad as the differences of the average Hylian, who (in reflection of the Medieval societies they are based on) are rather homogenous in appearance compared with - say - population of USA which is hugely varied from African Americans, people who emigrated from Nordic countries, Chinese, Japanese, native ethnic groups etc. Fits with how many of the Links look different, yet on stat sheet not completely different, not like they are closely related in one family, but just all from one medieval population.

What Link is not: one person who "just so happens" to be male, so must always be male to avoid retcon.

What Link is: a singular representation of the Hylian people for each generations that needs one, one with courage to become the Hero of Hyrule.

Now if it's saying a female can never rise to that challenge, that's simply sexism.

I mean it's not like it's a dead-lifting weight competition that a man would have an edge over, these are adventures 9-10 year old boys go on, a girl can as well.

This is basic aspects of the plot of Zelda games, how so many arguments can be made that DEPEND on ignoring this suggest a such a complete disinterest in Zelda how can your opinions on the characters be relevant to the actual fans? You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not entitled to any consideration, that's something you have to earn.
What you said would have been clever and had a point, if it was at all what I implied.

Link is pretty solidly thought of as a male character. Doesn't matter that hero of time is a role that one is reincarnated into. Nintendo has consistently chosen to make him male, and it says a lot.

But here's the thing about me. You aren't going to tell me what I think, or why I said something. You aren't going to force me to defend myself from something you extracted from thin air. So you can take your face and bury it in a diaper, because anyone who read your post and my post can see what your response is full of.

Now feel free to come at me appropriately, using words that I used and not trying to dig under the surface of my posts. Its so funny because you made such a ridiculous statement even though the paragraph right under the one you are talking about says...

But if Link it to be female, it should be at the reinvention the series, not because link is a female(well actually because of this), but because it would seem like a new chance to actually make link a character.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Bruenin said:
Treblaine said:
I wasn't trying to say you were trying to get other character to change genders, I was trying to say I honestly don't care what gender the character is, I just think it's pointless to do it. I addressed the sexism issue because you gave it as a reason why it should be done, to combat the "sexist" trend. That's the reason we should do it, that's the reason you gave to doing it, so I addressed that.
No, you misrepresented my stance as the sexism being "sudden" and "just because".

It seems like a bit of a leap to say but what do I know. Maybe it's a lot more damaging and prejudiced than I give it credit for. The only Zelda game I haven't played is Skyward sword, so it's not like I never played the game, and you're the one getting angry over this.
You talk as if it's my problem for reacting negatively to YOU misrepresenting my argument in a farcical way.

It's an opinion thread, so I said that I thought it was pointless, then you said it should be done to combat sexism and I said I didn't see how it was sexist. I'm just going to drop it now, kind of a conclusion post I suppose. Have a nice day, you can have a female Link, i'm not against it, I just don't see the point.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own fact. You have distorted the facts of the matter, what the content of the games lore is and why my argument has been.

"and I said I didn't see how it was sexist."

I don't know and I don't really care if you know what you are doing. But you didn't simply do that.

Shadow5

Mar 11, 2009
I think it could be interesting, I don't think there would be any major changes to the gameplay or story line.

Also having Zelda actually be a playable character would be really cool, whether she had her own game or not (both would be good)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Darkbladex96 said:
What you said would have been clever and had a point, if it was at all what I implied.

Link is pretty solidly thought of as a male character. Doesn't matter that hero of time is a role that one is reincarnated into. Nintendo has consistently chosen to make him male, and it says a lot.

But here's the thing about me. You aren't going to tell me what I think, or why I said something. You aren't going to force me to defend myself from something you extracted from thin air. So you can take your face and bury it in a diaper, because anyone who read your post and my post can see what your response is full of.

Now feel free to come at me appropriately, using words that I used and not trying to dig under the surface of my posts. I
"Link is pretty solidly thought of as a male character."

That not any sort of relevant argument, the "thought of" can only be seen as an appeal to populism rather than whether it is right. If most people thought the earth was a flat disc with an edge, that doesn't make it so. If most people thought Samus was a male (before finishing Metroid) that doesn't make it so.

"Doesn't matter that hero of time is a role that one is reincarnated into."

The reincarnation assertion is baseless and is directly contradicted by Wind Waker and many other aspects I have already covered.

"Nintendo has consistently chosen to make him male, and it says a lot."

Like what? What does it actually say?

Just because someone did something for a while doesn't mean they can never change it. Zelda games were always set on land, till Wind Waker when they were all at sea. Link being a male is not an essential defining feature of a Zelda game any more than Hyrule field being solid land is.

You aren't going to tell me what I think, or why I said something.
Where did I say any of that? Where did I outline my intuition into your thought process or asset why you said what you said.

I said things like: "Statements like these do nothing but reinforce female protagonists as being so unacceptable"

This is NOT about what YOU THINK or WHY you said that, this is about THE IMPRESSION from what you SAY.

I never said about what was going on in your brain, I said what was implicit, not the same as "implyig" which can be deliberate allusion, implicit can be totally inadvertent. I want to make that clear. That is the way I meant it. If you think I used the term "inplicit" inappropriately then i will amend my post.

someone else said:
Why? Why do there have to be caveats for a female protagonist but not for a male one? Why can't there just naturally be female Link as you'd eventually get from the protagonist role going to the courageous one, which is not something that is solely reserved for males.

Jordy Hartog

Oct 5, 2012
Heh, I'd love to see a LoZ game with the Legendary Hero of Time being born as a girl. Especially if everyone is constantly confused at how the legend got a twist they didn't see coming. Kinda like Equal Rites did.

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I can feel the fanart coming...

OT: No. It would just be out of place and wouldn't really have a point.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
scorn the biomage said:
Scarim Coral said:
Not really, having the gender switch alone doesn't really bring anything new to that game.
it doesn't take away anything either
Well it might for the hardcore, you never know what they're projecting onto the characters they like.
Doesn't that go BOTH ways. It's not like the protagonists in all previous LoZ games had NO gender, they were all male.

The pandering argument goes both ways, would Nintendo be "Pandering to feminists" to have a female Link, or would they be "pandering the chauvinists" by arbitrarily having male lead take the Link role, even though the Lore allows and somewhat expects a female Hero of Hyrule. I think gamers are used to pandering to male Primogeniture should just tolerate - for a rare occasion - some deviation from that.

Apr 24, 2008
I don't play LoZ, so am I missing something? Is there a long succession of "Links", or is it just one dude?

I was under the impression that it was just one dude, so the idea that Link would continue to be male based on the rationale that he "is male and always has been" would seem anything but arbitrary, that would seem very reasonable to me.

Why wouldn't making a new character(possibly in the same universe) not be a better idea? It can be done, we have the technology...

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Treblaine said:
by arbitrarily having male lead take the Link role
This is why this argument will go on forever.

You REFUSE to accept that, regardless of some silly plot hole filling catch-all, most people associate Link with being male. It's NOT arbitrary in the slightest bit to make him male again.

It's like if I developed a bunch of RPGs and then decided to make my next game an FPS. If I had made another RPG, it wouldn't have been an arbitrary decision, even though I'm allowed to make whatever style of game I want.

(Also, I'd say that most people disagree that the Lore "expects" a female Hero, as it is never directly stated that being male ISN'T a requirement, but I know your stance on this and I would rather not argue about opinions.)

Just to summarize, the main points against doing it are as follows:

1. It would be an unnecessary change in the game. So many things have to change each time a new game is released in a series, and each change has a varying level of risk involved. Remember, as I said before, that developers dislike change without gameplay ramifications. The reason is that changes that don't revolve around gameplay are MUCH riskier and it's not like you can just play test them. Think about how poorly received the cel-shading was before people actually played Wind Waker, and how much better people responded when they first saw the, more traditional, Twilight Princess Link.

2. People like traditional Link as a character.

3. There are already female characters in the series who would be better off in the protagonist role.

4. There are dozens of games with female protagonists out there. NO ONE BUYS THEM. If you REALLY want to see a female Link, get out there and buy games with female protagonists.

I know those reasons don't matter to you, but those are the reason why people don't want Link to change. I think we all know you disagree with them, and those are your opinions, just like these are OUR opinions. There's nothing to argue about with them and none of us is wrong or right in the end.

Again, regardless of ANYTHING you say, the majority of gamers would consider making Link female to be changing his sex. Most people do not sit around and study the subtle intricacies of the Zelda extended universe on their spare time.

If you were to poll all of the gamers in the world without giving them the context of this argument as to what sex Link is, I would guess that 95% would say he was male, and 4% would say "Well technically, (push up glasses) Link can potentially be whatever sex the mantle of the Triforce of..." etc., and 1% wouldn't know who Link is (noobs).

I know you think everyone is just sexist and that no one on the planet possibly knows more about Zelda than you, but you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. Hell, there actually has yet to be a single definitively sexist post in this entire thread, but I don't think you've let a single person disagree with you without insinuating some sexism on their part.

Not that anyone has even approached this, but one can say, "I PREFER games with male protagonists." and have it not be sexist in the slightest bit. There is actually nothing sexist about that statement (unless I end it with "because women are inferior"). It only makes sense that people would want to play a character that they relate to better, and for a male to want to play a male character is perfectly understandable.

The topic at hand is asking people's opinions and you need to learn to not jump down people's throats for their opinions. Let them say their piece and deal with the fact that a lot of people disagree with you. You're not going to convince anyone otherwise.

I swear to God, if you respond to this by picking apart my post or calling me sexist then you are THE MOST dense person on the planet.

Darkbladex96

Jan 25, 2011
That not any sort of relevant argument, the "thought of" can only be seen as an appeal to populism rather than whether it is right. If most people thought the earth was a flat disc with an edge, that doesn't make it so. If most people thought Samus was a male (before finishing Metroid) that doesn't make it so.
You're trying way too hard to get something from me that I don't have, which is a biased or sexiest opinion.

-Terrible point. Is the earth a fictional man made creation that has been presented in almost the same way repeatedly and consistently? No. I don't think is. The earth can be proven without a doubt to be spherical. Samus Aran is a women, that is definite and provable. It doesn't matter that people thought of the earth as flat, because it was wrong. It doesn't matter that they thought Samus was a guy, because it was wrong. It does matter that Link is thought of as a male because it's his established image, it is the image of him that nintendo has given us. Unless you can prove that it's wrong to think of Link as male then what I said is not an appeal at all it's an observable fact.

The reincarnation assertion is baseless and is directly contradicted by Wind Waker and many other aspects I have already covered.
And what does this mean to me in relation to my argument and my stance? Pretty much nothing. I simply stated that it didn't matter in Link's case, because it doesn't.

Like what? What does it actually say?
What do you mean "what does it say"? It says, pretty clearly, that the image nintendo associates with the Hero of Time, Link, is a young, blonde, elf male.

Just because someone did something for a while doesn't mean they can never change it. Zelda games were always set on land, till Wind Waker when they were all at sea. Link being a male is not an essential defining feature of a Zelda game any more than Hyrule field being solid land is.
Once again, where are you even getting this from? Nothing in this paragraph is really relevant and as far as I can tell it doesn't even pertain to me. It's just there taking up space. This statement is just barely on topic, and simply fallacious. You're for some reason talking to me like I have a problem with change, and you're falling flat because it's obvious that I don't.

I said things like: "Statements like these do nothing but reinforce female protagonists as being so unacceptable"

I never said about what was going on in your brain, I said what was implicit, not the same as "implyig" which can be deliberate allusion, implicit can be totally inadvertent. I want to make that clear. That is the way I meant it. If you think I used the term "inplicit" inappropriately then i will amend my post.
I know exactly what you said and what it meant, but before that statement you explicitly said YOU ARE . I'm telling you that its not there at all and that you're looking to hard. There is no false sense of entitlement. Link isn't a character he is an image a well established image. If they want that image to be either male or female, then players should have the right to chose. Why would you suddenly change the image in a way that could fundamentally change the character and not do anything with it? Link's role in the story is genderless, I've always thought it strange that you couldn't choose.

Why? Why do there have to be caveats for a female protagonist but not for a male one? Why can't there just naturally be female Link as you'd eventually get from the protagonist role going to the courageous one, which is not something that is solely reserved for males.
See this is what I'm talking about. Where did it even come off like that's what I meant? If Link were portrayed as female and the question was should Link be male. My answer would remain the same.

It's not a caveat at all, they wouldn't need to reboot the series like they did with DmC, just actually do something with the change. Why not? Wind Waker changed land to sea and added boat travel and more exploration because it was a newish world. Change a characters sex, explore some new characterization options, explore some new ways to interact with the world, create some new challenges, more world building, etc... If changing it served no purpose, at the end of the day it was a waste. If a character's sex has no play in the world, why not let the player chose or just leave it as it was in the past?

I ask that change have purpose behind it.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
TomLikesGuitar said:
This is why this argument will go on forever.
No, the argument will go on forever because people on both sides keep choosing to engage one another. It takes two to have an argument, and you don't get to put all the blame for it on the guy you dislike.

TomLikesGuitar said:
Again, regardless of ANYTHING you say, the majority of gamers would consider making Link female to be changing his sex.
They'd be factually wrong.

TomLikesGuitar said:
Not that anyone has even approached this, but one can say, "I PREFER games with male protagonists." and have it not be sexist in the slightest bit. There is actually nothing sexist about that statement (unless I end it with "because women are inferior").
Sexism is discrimination or prejudice based on sex. Superiority is not implied, which is why the the old "separate but equal" arguments of the civil rights movement era were still racist despite ostensibly supporting equality (or, for a more current example, why the "gay people can have civil unions but not marriages" argument of today is still homophobic). What you're describing is chauvinism.

TomLikesGuitar said:
It only makes sense that people would want to play a character that they relate to better, and for a male to want to play a male character is perfectly understandable.
Not being able to relate to women makes sense for people who believe women have cooties. After that point, it gets pretty insupportable.

TomLikesGuitar said:
I swear to God, if you respond to this by picking apart my post or calling me sexist then you are THE MOST dense person on the planet.
Threatening to withhold your respect from Treblaine rings just a bit hollow, given everything else you've said to him.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TomLikesGuitar said:
You REFUSE to accept that most people associate Link with being male.
Of course I accept that is a fact, what I refute is it's relevance.

Lots of people making a wrong assumption based on ignorance doesn't make that assumption true.

It's like if I developed a bunch of RPGs and then decided to make my next game an FPS.
That worked for the brilliant Metroid Prime trilogy.

But haters still ignored it's brilliance because it changed something.

I'd say that most people disagree that the Lore "expects" a female Hero
So would I, as that wasn't really what I said. I said expects EVENTUALLY a female hero, as:
1. half the population of Hyrule are female
2. the hero comes from the population of Hyrule
3. the defining characteristic of the hero is courage
4. courage is not a sex-specific trait

So you again aren't addressing my point.

My point is there COULD be a female protagonist and EVENTUALLY there should be one, but not as the poll said for "the next" as if there was some imperative that it has to be done by the next game. It would be sexist tot totally rule out a female protagonist ever simply because there were many different male protagonists in the past.

The reason is that changes that don't revolve around gameplay are MUCH riskier
How? You can test it just as well as gameplay. And if the risk is pissing off sexists then they can just jog on. Games don't pander to racists, xenophobes nor any other bigots.

Think about how poorly received the cel-shading was before people actually played Wind Waker
In hindsight it has been called the most under-appreciated Zelda game ever, the objection to Cell-shading it's apparent were from people who didn't care about the series anyway. Zelda fans loved it and the cell-shading style has aged exceptionally well.

2. People like traditional Link as a character.
If "not being a girl" is a part of the tradition of the hero, then it's a sexist tradition that cannot be supported. The different heroes of Hyrule have varied so much, in every way except gender.

Enforcing a dress theme of Green Tunic is appropriate as Nintendo has iconography to protect and it's a reasonable tradition for the in game world to have. But a female Link fits in PERFECTLY with that traditional iconography.

There are already female characters in the series who would be better off in the protagonist role.
I have refuted this. I have stated why Zelda in specific is unsuited, also how if anyone else did take up the role then they de-facto WOULD become Link! What stops a player entering "Link" as the player name when they are playing as girl adventurer.

There are dozens of games with female protagonists out there. NO ONE BUYS THEM.
Except the few games with female protagonists do well well (Portal, Metroid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil series ), and if you want to judge games by sales figures, then The Sims, Wii Sports and Cowadooty are far superior to Psychonauts.

I know those reasons don't matter to you
Then why did you give them if you knew that? Did you just want me to summarise?

the majority of gamers would consider making Link female to be changing his sex
Doesn't mean everything I've said is untrue nor that all those ignorant gamers who don't happen to even play Zelda games are right.
Most people do not sit around and study the subtle intricacies of the Zelda extended universe on their spare time.
Me neither, I just play the games and instantly grasp the simple message.

If you were to poll all of the gamers in the world...
Most gamers haven't played through even half of the Zelda series... their opinion would be one of ignorance. That's like polling a population that have never been informed about Darwinian evolution, just because they don't cite Darwin's theory, doesn't mean his theory isn't true. Look at the number of people on this forum who have stated they changed their mind since considering Link is not a singular individual.

... without giving them the context of this argument
So DELIBERATELY not letting them hear any argument, like a trial without any defence lawyer. You seem to be almost admitting that if they heard my take as well as your they would change their mind to my conclusion.

I know you think everyone is just sexist
Nope... just the ones who arbitrarily oppose a female Link, ever, In a Zelda game. And jsut sexist on this issue. Nothing more.

but you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.
And what are you doing?

but I don't think you've let a single person disagree with you
Think whatever you like, that's not a fact so hardly relevant.

Not that anyone has even approached this, but one can say, "I PREFER games with male protagonists."
Personal preference is totally difference from saying the way it should be to be true to the source material.

You can prefer Link wears a yellow Tunic, that doesn't mean it should be that way.

It only makes sense that people would want to play a character that they relate to better
Not any substantive argument as the opposite applies to women and doesn't work considering how female protagonists in other games have been so relatable. What is it about a character being a female that is in any way any sort of an impediment to a male relating to her? It's sexism if a male cannot relate to a female character ONLY because she is female. Inability to relate is a key part if not defining aspect of bigotry.

Equally it's sexist if a female game cannot relate to a male character because the character is male.

The topic at hand is asking people's opinions and you need to learn to not jump down people's throats for their opinions.
It's not my fault if I point out how sexist some opinions are. There are facts about opinions that you are going to have to accept. You have a right to your opinion, but no one has any obligation to accept bigoted opinions.

You "swear to god" do you now? Well that's not the same as actual reasoned evidence, is it?

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Treblaine said:
JimB said:
Sigh... you two are very frustrating...

But hey, it's ALL opinions. Remember that.

I tried to use the last post to summarize OTHER PEOPLE'S opinions and I did and you both still are incessant with the accusations of sexism.

I'd like to hope that the sheer amount of people who have disagreed with you here have shown you two that we aren't as sexist as you claim, but your recent posts fail to substantiate this.

Sexism can be described as discrimination of another gender. Discrimination can be described simply as understanding the difference between one thing and another.

By that logic, almost anything can fall under that veil, and you guys are abusing that.

It isn't sexist for men to relate to male characters better. Go ahead, argue that point, but you're wrong and you know it.

I am also not a sexist by any means.

I played Portal when it came out and like the game better with a female lead. Am I sexist for that as well?

I like Samus as a girl better, am I sexist for that?

No. We've addressed that and you agree with me on that.

But I like Link better as a guy and your reasoning for why that makes me sexist is some extended universe plot?

I think you're fucking nuts for that and need to get off your respective pedestals.

I don't think a game with a female Link is impossible, I just wouldn't want it. That doesn't make me sexist, you dig?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TomLikesGuitar said:
I'd like to hope that the sheer amount of people who have disagreed with you here have shown you two that we aren't as sexist as you claim, but your recent posts fail to substantiate this.
Again with the populist fallacy, why can't you just make an actual argument to defend your stance instead of just citing numbers of people who don't have relevant reasons.

Sexism can be described as discrimination of another gender. Discrimination can be described simply as understanding the difference between one thing and another.
That definition is far too narrow and irrelevant, and is purely semantic anyway. The opposition to female protagonists for no other reason than their gender is wrong, no matter what you call it. Being unable to relate to a character simply because they aren't the same sex as you is BAD! You never added any caveats for "this particular character being female makes it hard to relate because I'm a male" you talked in broad terms, yet now you seem to have recanted it.

But I like Link better as a guy and your reasoning for why that makes me sexist is some extended universe plot?
I have explained this to you already. You are mistaking your personal preference for the way a game SHOULD be. And the narrative of the series is entirely relevant for what SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be in the game series.

And preference is separate from an inability to relate to a character because of their gender.

I don't think a game with a female Link is impossible, I just wouldn't want it.
Then if it is NOT for inability to relate to a character because of their gender, THEN WHAT REASON?!?!! Long ago you associated yourself with the argument that it doesn't fit with the lore, now you seem to be saying it does fit.

Also I'd like you to acknowledge that your personal preference is inappropriate to equate to a "should" apply for a game everyone else plays.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
If Link was female in Skyward Sword, I think I'd be more engaged by the "plot" of her trying to rescue Zelda, assuming it was out of deep friendship rather than some juvenile infatuation or ridiculous "I'm a knight, chivalry is my code!".

I always thought of Ghirahim as being quite pervert-ish to Link, maybe even fancying him, and I'd love to hate him even more if Link was female, as it would make the "secretly fancies Link" theory seem more likely.

I don't think a gender swap would make much difference to Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass though.

What I have noticed is that in both of the wii LoZs, is that Link mostly seems to get pushed and pulled around by women, doing lots of work to gallantly support and aid them, I guess that's not quite on subject, but it is to do with gender roles in LoZ so I thought I'd throw it in.