Poll: Skipping school?!

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
LightPurpleLighter said:
I skipped alot my freshman year...Got in trouble for it. They put me on probation and made me see a shrink. Gotta love Texas...
... shrink? So in Texas skipping school = you're crazy? That's a little harsh. Sometimes students just don't feel like coming to uni, no big deal. I've heard a lot of teachers say that they'd love to be able to skip classes.

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
Skipping school can, on occasion, be forgivable if you have a good reason. I remember a time in which I skipped school to visit someone who was very close to me (Name withheld for the sake of privacy) but had been assaulted in a very brutal manner the day before, and no one else was willing to see her or help her recover as she didn't have many friends.

I also skipped once because I was sick as a dog, I was vomiting, sneezing, and could hardly get off the toilet but my mother insisted I trudge through the snow at 5 am anyways to at least "Try and go." I didn't want to make myself sicker by walking that far in the cold, so I popped over to one of my neighbors and he understood the situation; plus he actually had some cough syrup.

If you don't have a good reason for skipping though, then I don't think you should. I valued my education highly and I actually enjoyed learning (Unless it was math.) because so much of it fascinates me. I love books, I love languages, I love history, etc. It really irked me when some students would skip just to go bouncing around town or because they were afraid of a test, then came back and whined about the fact that they didn't have the lesson proper for an upcoming test.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Last year I did... On GCSE Maths, it's complicated to say why I redone it. I already had a B and my bus got me to my stop 20 mins late. I had a decision;
"Lesson or Internet Cafe? Lesson or Internet Cafe? Lesson or Internet Cafe?"

"Internet Cafe!"

And I got a B... AGAIN!

MyFooThurTS

Jul 28, 2010
I never skip full days but I skip individual lessons fairly often. If you trust yourself enough to manage your own learning without a teacher controlling your movements at times which are almost always inconvenient then it's usually the better option. On a few occasions, nearing exams mainly, I have skipped lessons to do homework related to other subjects. Most often, however, I skip when I consider it fair to judge that my teacher will have nothing new to teach me and as such I grab some friends with frees or some similarly rebellious comrades and either go get some early lunch or head to someone's place for some stress relief and recreation. I recommend skipping in place of lessons composed of minimal learning because if life's about anything it's about happiness, we shouldn't be living through any consecutive years with the goal of 'getting them over with', find enjoyment where it's wise.

Chogg Van Helsing

May 27, 2010
I only skip school on say... a day that i have 3 free periods in the morning, then a class im discontinuing... but then ill phone in and say im sick or whatever :p

But in your situation, i'd prob try be of too, and do something entertaining :L

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
The only time i feel it's okay to skip school is the day before holidays (for example, my school already has christmas eve and the following week off, but i garuntee you half the school won't be there thursday.) I can't do this thursday, as I have 2 tasks that would piss certain people in my Drama Club off if i weren't there to preform them, both involving dressing up as santa claus, but if i weren't i'd definitely consider taking off.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
There was a point, where the check-in check-out lady basically gave me a free pass to come and go as I pleased. I abused the hell out of that.

But a large part of that is the fault of my school's own policies. They literally encouraged you to skip school. If you were tardy, in some cases not actively at your desk, the teacher called home. A second tardy would result in after school suspension (detention). A third tardy, resulted in either in school suspension or out of school suspension. Yeah, it was really that severe. Worse yet, is that I heard it got worse after I graduated.

So basically, I'd walk in the door, see that I had one minute to get to my class on the other side of school, and walk back to my car and leave. I'd usually return for second period and check in. There were a few times I would check out before the day was over.

How bad was it? After a couple months, my first period teacher asked me if I was aware that I had 20 excused absences to his class. I looked surprised and said I thought it would have been more. Also, 10% of that class was attendance. The rest was based on how much work we did. I was able to get about one and a half to two days of work done in that class a day and get high marks on my work. I ended that year with a high B in that class.

So, really I have no idea what I should say here. Um...
Stay in school kids!

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
I skipped all but one day last week because I felt like it. Feels good, man. :3
Shame on you, I hope your class had some sort of party and you missed it because you were "too cool for school". :l

I would skip every now and then but that would consist mostly of me sleeping all day and playing a little X-box. Now that I'm actually paying for college however I'm not screwing around anymore.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I think you should only skip school if you have a good reason. It's slightly hypocrytical of me though since I've skipped school way too much myself. I believe that in the 9th grade(different schooling system than in USA here, I was 15 then) I skipped over/almost 50% of that year. Skipped a whole lot after the 9th grade as well, but less with each year.

I don't regret it though. What I do regret is that I didn't take school seriously and enjoyed the time in school since life really starts to suck when you're done.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
MassiveGeek said:
I would think it was totally fine, even if you couldn't even slightly justify it. Skipping is fine as long as you don't do it so often that you get behind. Really, it's your own judgment call: just make sure your judgment is sound.

On a more serious note, you should probably stay away from cocaine. It's not like cigarettes or pot, it will seriously screw you up. It's really a pretty nasty substance, no matter what kind of high it gives you, it's just not worth it, even if you try and burn off its effects with chips.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Towards the end of Secondary School (the last two years, I believe), I skipped school more than I went, for the fact I was being bullied, and it was become really hard for me to even concentrate in lessons. All my teachers knew I was being bullied bad, but didn't do shit about it, which is why they never contacted me or my Mum or social services or... well, anyone, about that fact I was having so much time off. It was also partly because half-way through the second-to-last year, I had a massive falling out with my friendship group over something kinda major, and I ended up being almost completely alone (but my best friend spent every break and lunch she could with me) all the time, and topping that with the fact I was constantly having people shouting at me and trying to hit me/trip me over... When I actually went into school, I got really depressed and paranoid and because of it, I ended up permanently developing depression, anxiety and paranoia issues and ended up having to see a psychiatrist for it all.

Skipping school can be justified, but only in extreme circumstances if it's for a long period of time. I'm not sure if mine is quite "justified" but... yeah. There are reasons sometimes school does more damage than good.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
The only one that is affected by skipping school is yourself.
No school = no education. It's all your call basically.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
My post seems to have gotten ate...

In short now:

I skipped one and a half years, on and off, due to mental illness and didn't suffer. Additional training after school ensured I got a good technical job in a field I love, working for a company that you all know about but that is professional life I don't mix with my online life. I 'graduated' high school with a piece of paper that is all Fs cause I never took any tests, that has never been referenced too or even looked at, to get any job.

I was given a overall rating that puts me in the top 20-30% of the Australian population. We did have one massive test that took three day to completely. This test was designed to compare your knowledge in a wide range of field to everyone else taking the test. Then they ranked you based not on your score, but this comparison with everyone scores. Sure not the best of minds out there, but for someone who did not turn up to classes sort of highlights how useless school can be if you have a good mind to start with.

My biggest gripe is the jobs I did to pay to for further education, a cost I would of been required to pay even with all A's, netted me more then the job I am in now. Sort of highlights a problem with the world right there, one other people still struggling to pay off student loans (at least I don't have those) can tell you about in rants a mile long. Get the education, and need to flip burgers cause it pays more then entry level technical jobs these days. Jobs you can't even get unless you magically pull five year of technical experience out of your arse the moment you graduate.

The biggest sadness I have over school is that it was a lot easier then real life ever has been. I wouldn't mind going back and 'fixing' the missed years simply because it was a easier time. Now I have to work 10-12 hours a day just to pay the bills that other people fucked me over with because I thought I could trust them to pay their share of the rent before they fucked off and left me with huge phone and electric bills as well.

A good warning for those who are entering Real Life: People suck and you shouldn't trust them.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
I skipped a day and a half last week.
I studied Calculus with 3 friends the entire time :p

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Mackheath said:
MassiveGeek said:
So you had finished all your work and left early? Whats the problem there?

As far as I am concerned, if you do your work they have no right to keep you there for longer. What do they expect you to do, stare at the walls for a few hours?

OT: Yes, I do it quite often. Since I was forced to return this year-my last one at school- I have zero interest in any of my coursework, so I spend my time daydreaming, listening to music or just not turning up. I still pass my tests however.

So why feel guilty? You had a good time with time that would have otherwise been wasted in class.
Not like that exactly, see, we had an assignment to finish writing some articles we started on before, but I'm a fast worker when it comes to stuff like writing and creative stuff in general, so I was already finished. The only two lessons we had that day were to work on them some more, so me being finished, would have to try and figure out if I could improve them somehow.

Which is boring as hell, because once you show up, you're stuck. So I just didn't go at all.