Poll: Skyrim; Empire or. Rebels?

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I dunno, I LIKED the empire when I played Oblivion. I've always thought that Captain Picard would be pretty well-suited to a high office.

I thought Skyrim was about killing dragons before they fuck up too much shit. I don't want to get politically involved in every single universe of every single game, sometimes a guy just wants to yell out, "TURK ER JARBS!" and have a lightning storm appear, you know?

Alistar

Aug 20, 2010
Well, I never played Oblivion, my gut instinct, being anti-establishment is to be a rebel, but to be honest, most civilisations only become benevolent federations after the empire model. So I'm going double contrarian and be Empire.
Yeah at the start I was going to be decapitated, but an Empire soldier helped me out. But it's all academic, eventually you will become an all powerful Demigod, if there's an option to become Emperor, that will amuse you for a while, all the lore points at Dragonborn becoming rulers because of the power of the shouts. It's easier to take over the Empire than start a new one. Instead of quoting Conan I'm going with "Cuz I'm worth it" Bawahahah!

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
The Rebels are the ones wearing pants so ...that's pretty easy. Oh and they didn't try to kill me.

NIHILHATE

Aug 21, 2009
All I can say on that matter is, gimme a Sword and some arse-kickin' boots, cover me in Woad and kick me to the frontline!
"Live for something real!
Fight for something real!
Die for something real!
FFRREEEEEEDDOOOOOM!!!!"

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
Skyrim is the first game out of the Elder Scroll Series that I've played (long story), so if the game is as good as people make it, than if possible I will go neutral. Picking a side so far seems to be only optional, so things are looking very promising so far.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
lunncal said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Empire. I never really read any of the Elder Scrolls books but so far in the games I havent found the most remote piece of evidence that the empire is evil.
Isn't the fact that they are an empire evil enough?

Tiber Septim (the guy who founded the third empire) just went around conquering every country in Tamriel (the continent the games are set in) with his unstoppable brass golem thing (Numidi... something). Those countries didn't willingly join the empire, and many of them wanted nothing to do with it. How would you feel if some other country decided yours had to obey their laws and pay your taxes to support their country?
who says that all the regions in skyrim, whom youre fighting for independence, wanted to be a part of skyrim? or as a matter of fact, even want to be independent. im not even gonna mention how fucking racist the stormcloaks are....not to mention skyrim WILL fall into poverty, and the quality of life will lower a lot. say what you will about the roman empire, but they pretty much made everyones life under their regime a lot better.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
What do I hate the most? Racist bastards or imperialists? That's a terrible choice either way, but a benign empire is the lesser evil, I suppose.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Rebels, because those Imperial fuckers DID try to execute me in the very beginning.
And it would fit with my Argonian Assassin/Archer, who basically steal loot and artifacts from ancient ruins, melts the metal from those places down into bars/ingots, crafts them into daggers and sells them to smiths. And I also kill everyone in said ruins. Stealth is very fun =)

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I choose the Empire because:

1) I would do it in Star Wars.
2) I'm a fan of the Roman Empire.
3a) Those Stormcloaks are racist assholes.
3b) I'm a Dunmer.
4) I dislike Ulfric Stormcloak.
5) I already killed the Emperor, so he's out of the way and there seems to be a Dragonborn at them moment. Me.
6) I find the Stormcloaks' lack of faith in the Empire disturbing.
7) While Talos was of great help when fighting Umaril 200 years ago, I really don't care who or what people worship. The Daedric princes/princesses are the real gods anyway.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
draythefingerless said:
lunncal said:

Tiber Septim (the guy who founded the third empire) just went around conquering every country in Tamriel (the continent the games are set in) with his unstoppable brass golem thing (Numidi... something). Those countries didn't willingly join the empire, and many of them wanted nothing to do with it. How would you feel if some other country decided yours had to obey their laws and pay your taxes to support their country?
who says that all the regions in skyrim, whom youre fighting for independence, wanted to be a part of skyrim? or as a matter of fact, even want to be independent. im not even gonna mention how fucking racist the stormcloaks are....not to mention skyrim WILL fall into poverty, and the quality of life will lower a lot. say what you will about the roman empire, but they pretty much made everyones life under their regime a lot better.
You're right, not all of Skyrim wants to be independent. Approximately half of it supports the Stormcloaks and half supports the Empire. Neither side can coexist peacefully with the other, so it all comes down to what you think is "best".

Also you're right about how the Empire did a lot of good for Skyrim, but the Empire is dead, as far as I'm concerned. The Ald'meri Dominion stormed all the way up to the Imperial City and the Empire realised how screwed they really were, so they sold their very god for survival. The Ald'meri own the Empire now, and the only reason they allowed it to continue existing is because it was more convenient for them this way. If they simply invaded Skyrim every man, woman and child would be united against them, but now that they're working through the Empire they can do whatever the hell they like, even openly torture and kill any who worship Talos.

The Ald'meri wish to enslave or destroy all of the "lesser" races (i.e. anyone who is not an Elf), so I'm fairly certain they're more racist than the Stormcloaks, and they are definitely my enemies. Since the Empire is working for them, they are my enemies too. My character is an Argonian, so I have big issues with many of the Stormcloaks (Ulfric himself doesn't seem so bad, but I have heard worrying rumours...). Nonetheless I'd still rather have them in charge than the Ald'meri or their puppets, and that's what the choice comes down to.

everfreeDragon

Oct 28, 2009
"Why should I sign up for either!? I'm just a college mage who recently found out shouting is more powerful than magic."

That's my Wizardlizard's view on the whole matter, my second character is an assassin and a thief who just doesn't care. My Third character signed up with the Empire.
They all happen to be Argonians and descendants of my Oblivion characters.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I'm for Whiterun!
I will settle down there, I really like the Jarl so I'm defending Whiterun against Dragon, Giants Empire or Stormcloaks... (at least as long as his stupid children don't rise to power)

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
lunncal said:
draythefingerless said:
lunncal said:

You're right, not all of Skyrim wants to be independent. Approximately half of it supports the Stormcloaks and half supports the Empire. Neither side can coexist peacefully with the other, so it all comes down to what you think is "best".

Also you're right about how the Empire did a lot of good for Skyrim, but the Empire is dead, as far as I'm concerned. The Ald'meri Dominion stormed all the way up to the Imperial City and the Empire realised how screwed they really were, so they sold their very god for survival. The Ald'meri own the Empire now, and the only reason they allowed it to continue existing is because it was more convenient for them this way. If they simply invaded Skyrim every man, woman and child would be united against them, but now that they're working through the Empire they can do whatever the hell they like, even openly torture and kill any who worship Talos.

The Ald'meri wish to enslave or destroy all of the "lesser" races (i.e. anyone who is not an Elf), so I'm fairly certain they're more racist than the Stormcloaks, and they are definitely my enemies. Since the Empire is working for them, they are my enemies too. My character is an Argonian, so I have big issues with many of the Stormcloaks (Ulfric himself doesn't seem so bad, but I have heard worrying rumours...). Nonetheless I'd still rather have them in charge than the Ald'meri or their puppets, and that's what the choice comes down to.
oh boy, you think the empire is an aldmeri puppet. for the sake of spoilers, i will not pursue this discussion. lets just say, this William Wallace wasnt so willing to die for his cause.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
Easily the Empire.

The Rebels and Ulfric are childish and racist. To me, they look like a bunch of Nazis. The rebellion is a causeless cause. Ulfric only fights to preserve his own ego and sense of nationalism.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
When you look at the real enemy, it is those damn dirty elves. The White-Gold concordant that outlawed the worship of Talos is what really drove the Nords and the Empire apart and planted the seed of this whole thing. Who forced that agreement? The Elves, who knew exactly what they were doing.

If the Nords cede from the Empire, he empire will be open to attack and conquest by the elves. Divide and conquer and all that. The elves can then come down and have their way with the Nords.

ONLY by the empire and the Nords fighting side by side will they have a chance of pushing back the elves. That is why I sided with the Empire.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
draythefingerless said:
oh boy, you think the empire is an aldmeri puppet. for the sake of spoilers, i will not pursue this discussion. lets just say, this William Wallace wasnt so willing to die for his cause.
No, they really are Ald'meri puppets. Don't get me wrong, I know they hate the Ald'meri, and would destroy them if they could, but right now what they want above all else is peace with them, and they will do anything to keep it, as evidenced by the fact that they allow the Thalmor to torture and kill their own people.

I also know that the Ald'meri want this conflict in Skyrim with the Stormcloaks to happen, and they even egged it along a little bit. They want Ulfric to fight and harm the Empire, but they don't want him to win.

The Empire needs Skyrim to have any chance of fighting off the Dominion, but Skyrim does not need the Empire. They can defend themselves and prosper on their own, just like how the citizens of Black Marsh have since they seceded, just as the citizens of Hammerfell have. [Edit: Not Elsweyr actually, they did survive and prosper on their own but then when the Ald'meri claimed they brought Nirn's moons back they joined them.]

Why should the people of Skyrim give their lives to save an Empire that refused to do the same for them?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
That depends.

Which one thought it was a good idea to try and execute me at the beginning of the game?
That was the Empire. Have at them.
OT: I chose the Stormcloaks. Mostly because the Thalmor are with the Imperials, basically High Elf nazis. Total dickbags. But I do also agree with their ideal that the Empire doesn't have the right to rule them. Maybe they could try being allies.
The game does let you see it through, I helped the Stormcloaks capture some forts, Whiterun and Solitude. NO MORE IMPERIALS! With the help of Odahviin. A motherfucking dragon. Best thing, calling him for help taking a fort. Slaughtering everyone. In fact, just a little while ago I fought two Blood Dragons with the help of Odahviin. Soooo epic. But I'm starting to ramble. Little disappointing though, pretty quickly it becomes routine. Never boring, but there is one quest where you intercept an Imperial courier, fake the orders, then take them to the Imperials. That was it, beyond that it was taking forts, then reporting to Ulfric, then taking another fort. What was interesting is how they don't paint the Stormcloaks as total good guys. I talked to a few shopkeepers in Whiterun, the smith woman and the Breton mentioned that most Stormcloaks refuse to shop there because the shop owners aren't Nords. Made me feel kinda bad.