Poll: Skyrim; Empire or. Rebels?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Rex Dark said:
I choose the Empire because:

3a) Those Stormcloaks are racist assholes.
Wait, really? Ralof told me (an Argonian) "you don't have to be a Nord to fight for Skyrim". The Imperials, on the other hand, are constantly telling me shit like "Stay out of trouble, Argonian."
And all the guards everywhere tell me: "Stay out of trouble, Elf!"

Matthew Engman

Nov 23, 2011
Seeing as how the Empire tries to kill you withing the opening character creation portion, I have to side with the rebels on this one.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Neither.

If my destiny as dovahkiin is to ascend to rulership, that's fine. I will boot BOTH of these factions out of my way to build something new. Not to mention the Empire tried to kill me, and I'm not a Nord so the Stormcloaks will never really accept me.

I'd rather forge a new world the way I do my enchanted weapons: with my own two hands.

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
lunncal said:
Why should the people of Skyrim give their lives to save an Empire that refused to do the same for them?
Where do you think the Aldmer will be coming next? Skyrim splintering from the Empire only serves to weaken the Empire as a whole and Skyrim versus the Aldmer + their client states = :eek:hdear: for Skyrim. While part of me, playing as a Nord wants to fight against the Imperial oppressors...there isn't really any evidence of Imperial oppression going on out there, beyond Colonel Tigh's snarky attitude. The political realist in me sees the Aldmer as the real enemy, fostering hatred and division among the Empire for their own gains. And thus, whenever I come across a trio of Thalmor justiciars I brutally murder them. Plus they were really, really rude to me the first time I talked to them and then tried to kill me.

Death to the pointies!

Rex Dark said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Rex Dark said:
I choose the Empire because:

3a) Those Stormcloaks are racist assholes.
Wait, really? Ralof told me (an Argonian) "you don't have to be a Nord to fight for Skyrim". The Imperials, on the other hand, are constantly telling me shit like "Stay out of trouble, Argonian."
And all the guards everywhere tell me: "Stay out of trouble, Elf!"
Most of the in-lore evidence for the pretty poor racial outlook of the Stormcloaks comes from a) their treatment of the Dunmer in Winterhold in particular and various comments from non-Nords throughout Skyrim in general and b) Ulfric's historical treatment of the Forsworn in Markath.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Down with the rebel scum! Now I won't deny the empire is evil, but after the rebels win then what? All order would be destroyed and this wouldn't be just some city or country in ruin, but the entire galaxy

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
From the story line point of view,the empire tried to kill me. If you need any other reason to become a rebel it's that.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
I sided with the Empire.
Stormcloaks are jerks, and Ulfric is the biggest jerk of them all.
I don't fully agree with the imperial policies, and I HATE the Thalmor so much... but still, the rebels are not doing things the right way and their leader is worse than the Empire.
I just hope the Empire unites everyone on Tamriel so we can all turn around and kill every single Thalmor soldier and ambassador (and go back to worshipping Talos).

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
trouble_gum said:
lunncal said:
Why should the people of Skyrim give their lives to save an Empire that refused to do the same for them?
Where do you think the Aldmer will be coming next? Skyrim splintering from the Empire only serves to weaken the Empire as a whole and Skyrim versus the Aldmer + their client states = :eek:hdear: for Skyrim. While part of me, playing as a Nord wants to fight against the Imperial oppressors...there isn't really any evidence of Imperial oppression going on out there, beyond Colonel Tigh's snarky attitude. The political realist in me sees the Aldmer as the real enemy, fostering hatred and division among the Empire for their own gains. And thus, whenever I come across a trio of Thalmor justiciars I brutally murder them. Plus they were really, really rude to me the first time I talked to them and then tried to kill me.

Death to the pointies!
They can try to conquer Skyrim, but they would fail. As part of the White-gold Concordat the Empire actually gave large amounts of Hammerfell lands to the Dominion, and what did the Redguards of Hammerfell do? They told the Empire where they could stick their treaty, and took it all back. They beat the Ald'meri out of their home country against the wishes of The Empire (who then renounced Hammerfell as a province), and they did so very successfully. I see no reason why Skyrim couldn't do the same.

It's not Skyrim that needs the Empire to protect it, it's the Empire that needs Skyrim to protect it, but why should they? Why should the people of Skyrim lay down their lives for the Empire when the Empire didn't do the same for Skyrim, or any of its client-states?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The Empire. Sure it's falling apart, but that bunch of xenophobic man-children called the Stormcloaks really aren't a valid alternative.

Everything bad the Empire supposedly did (suppressing Talos, mostly) was done under extreme pressure from the Thalmor. Glory or death really isn't the way to rule an empire, but the Stormcloaks don't seem to understand that. Do they seriously think they can beat the Thalmor while the Altmeri Dominion brought the entire Empire to its knees?
And the Forsworn business proved that the Stormcloaks are capable of just the same atrocities as the Thalmor. As far as I'm concerned, the Empire did nothing wrong, seeing the situation it's in.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
TestECull said:
I'm going to have to go with the dark side on this one.
What dark side? Both sides are as morally questionable as the other, an ultimately fight for what they personally view to be the greater good. It's a difference of ideals, although that said, you can be forgiven for assuming the Empire are supposed to be the bad guys, seeing as the game is pretty heavily biased towards the Stormcloaks towards the beginning.

Geoffrey Harrell

Jul 8, 2011
I'm really putting off choosing a side. I'm been on both sides of skyrim, from markarth and solitude to windhelm and dawnstar, and i've seen people on both sides that don't deserve to get f--ked over by the war. Whiterun, for example, becomes besieged during that questline. people die, jobs are lost, and the place just wouldn't be the same. which sucks becuase i love whitrun; it's my home. i would want to defend it, but i don't want to see my 'neighbors' tear each other apart supporting different factions. i geuss that's the moral of that questline? civil war, or war in general, tears communities apart? i dunno.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Freedom. Skyrim should be run by Nords, and Nords alone, no annoying, ugly, elf should be anywhere to be seen

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Empire. Biggest deciding factor for me was Ulfric's use of the Thu'um to pop the (former) high king... from what I've seen/heard in-game, Ulfric challenged said high king to a little duel, he accepted, then a single Shout ends it... messily.

Greybeards say the Voice is to only be used to praise the gods with only Dragonborns being exempt from that. Was Ulfric a dragonborn? Don't think so.

On a more personal level, had my Khajiit thrown her lot in with the Stormcloaks, she'd basically be fighting for people that would ultimately shun her and any others that aren't Nord and that share their same ideals.

I guess what it boils down to for me is you're either fighting for the Nord's freedom with the Stormcloaks, or fighting for the freedom of the other nine races to live and work in Skyrim without being ostracized and ridiculed.

In a way, the Stormcloaks are a lot like the Forsworn; natives fighting for their homeland. Which is a noble and just sentiment, don't get me wrong, but the Forsworn are just... wrong as a whole. Nords aren't quite as bad, but their motivations just seem culturally selfish. /:|

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Stew Coard said:
all star wars comparisons aside, when you start playing Skyrim will you support the Nords fighting for independence or will you fight to preserve the empire? I'm not sure if they let the player join the rebels or the empire, but I imagine that you will makes some decisions that will affect the fate of the empire. Whatever happens, the Empire's fall or renewal will definitely be a an important issue in the game.
*sighs* Again, Search Bar. Use it. There's already another poll on the very same subject.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.323634-Poll-Empire-or-Stormcloak?page=1

I'm currently with the College of Winterhold. The dragons and the political tensions in Skyrim can wait, I'm levelling up my Destruction magic.

Nalfen

Sep 1, 2009
I picked the Stormcloaks for one big reason; the Empire is allowing the Blades to be killed off. You know that group of people that is responsible for saving this world how many times? And now you want me to support the group that is behind killing them off? No thank you.