Poll: So where have all the VR talk gone?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
actually motion controls have been around for over a decade now.

i don't seem motion controls going ANYWHERE anytime soon lol.
Yet they have not changed gaming forever, the wii sold well, the wii u bombed and it is too early to call the switch.

Motion controls are a gimmick, the vast majority of gamers still use a controller or M&K. The same way they have for decades. Even the wii moved away from constant motion controls. Mariokart is far more responsive on the controller.

Yet they have not changed gaming forever

LOL and what exactly do you mean by that? they need to change all aspects of gaming now do they?

oh and FYI, Mario Kart may be more reponsive with a Gamecube controller without motion controllers. it's widely accepted that Splatoon is much better with motion controls though. so much so that Nintendo even made a point of reassuring people during the January Switch presentation that the Switch Pro Controller would support Gyro controls.

some games work better without motion controls and some work better with them obviously. just like some games work better with an analog stick and some games work better with a D-Pad.

you've proved nothing here.
Do you have a medical issue that you keep spouting lol? That is 2 out of 2 posts noe. Is it a nervous tick?

3D polygons changed gaming, they have now over take sprites that used to be the only option. Moving away from cartridges opened up a whole new world. Analog sticks changed things. 95% of gamers go no where near motion controls. Most gamers had a go of a wii or kinnect and then went back to traditional methods and never touched them again. Motion controls are a gimmick that have passed most gamers by.

You name one game which according to you benefited from motion controls. 99% of games are better without them.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
You name one game which according to you benefited from motion controls. 99% of games are better without them.
according to about 70-80% of Splatoon players actually LOL

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/...-use-motion-controls-two-months-after-launch/

95% of gamers go no where near motion controls.
Source?

bjj hero said:
Do you have a medical issue that you keep spouting lol? That is 2 out of 2 posts noe. Is it a nervous tick?
if someone disagrees with you they have a medical problem now? LOVELY to hear that. XD

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/...-use-motion-controls-two-months-after-launch/

Source?
Congratulations, you found a title that benefits from motion controls. I'd argue most players would be more accurate with mouse and keyboard. Shooters tend to benefit from M&K but it is not a game Ive played.

Source? Really?
The vast majority of games are not Nintendo games. The majority of PC, xbox and sony games do not use motion controls.
Even a lot of nintendo titles go no where near motion controls. Are you finding this complicated? Check the steam store some time.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
if someone disagrees with you they have a medical problem now? LOVELY to hear that. XD
We can disagree, I just find it odd that everyone of your replies contains LOL. Odd.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

Source?
Congratulations, you found a title that benefits from motion controls. I'd argue most players would be more accurate with mouse and keyboard. Shooters tend to benefit from M&K but it is not a game Ive played.

Source? Really?
The vast majority of games are not Nintendo games. The majority of PC, xbox and sony games do not use motion controls.
Even a lot of nintendo titles go no where near motion controls. Are you finding this complicated? Check the steam store some time.
Congratulations. there's alot of games that don't use motion controls.

i'm still having trouble understanding why that suddenly means 95% of players will go nowhere near motion controls. XD

bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
We can disagree, I just find it odd that everyone of your replies contains LOL. Odd.
I find it extremely odd that you think people laughing is a sign of a medical problem.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

Source?

Source? Really?
Congratulations. there's alot of games that don't use motion controls.

i'm still having trouble understanding why that suddenly means 95% of players will go nowhere near motion controls. XD

bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
I find it extremely odd that you think people laughing is a sign of a medical problem.
Most gamers are not switch/wii u gamers. Other platforms combined have a much larger market share. The original wii is old now so I imagine the number of wii gamers is dwindling. The number of gamers using motion controls is small. The chances are, if you are using any other system you are not using motion controls. What is so difficult? If you still don't get it (I am guessing that you are trolling instead) then this is my last attempt to explain. I will stick to superior control methods.

Feel free to laugh. Typing lol is a seperate action. You do know that Jeremy constantly typing lol on purepwnage was lampooning juvenile internet culture? Not really something to aspire to.

Sep 9, 2007
what happened to the VR talk?
It's more or less what happens to most hardware after it gets released, isn't it? We know roughly what the hardware will do and there hasn't been any troubles with units catching fire or breaking unexpectedly, so at least for HTC and Occulus, there won't really be much coverage unless they go broke or start talking up a new model.

are you interested in VR?
I am. I need to upgrade my computer before I even think of getting one, though.

have you tried VR?
I've tried the archery mini game from the mini game collection that Valve put out and TiltBrush on a friends Vive.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the fact that in most VR games (from what I've seen) you're forced to teleport from point to point. The fact that you can't walk around freely seems immersion breaking to me.

Also there' no point arguing with Yoshi178. Dude is a Nintendo fanboy of the highest order and as such doesn't live anywhere near reality.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
Most gamers are not switch/wii u gamers. Other platforms combined have a much larger market share.
Yeah? And? that still doesn't mean 95% of gamers go nowhere near motion controls.

hell there was all this Hype about VR last year and most VR stuff actually works better with Motion controls such as the HTC Vive. Even Sony has said PSVR is meant to be much better with PS Move Controllers.

Feel free to laugh. Typing lol is a seperate action. You do know that Jeremy constantly typing lol on purepwnage was lampooning juvenile internet culture? Not really something to apsire to.
never even heard of Jeremy or purepwnage. lol.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:
Most gamers are not switch/wii u gamers. Other platforms combined have a much larger market share.
Yeah? And? that still doesn't mean 95% of gamers go nowhere near motion controls.

hell there was all this Hype about VR last year and most VR stuff actually works better with Motion controls such as the HTC Vive. Even Sony has said PSVR is meant to be much better with PS Move Controllers.
Did you read the OP? The hype around VR seems to be dying. Most gamers are not using it or motion control. Nearly everyone has quietly gone back to regular gaming, controller or M&K.

I maintain there are too many drawbacks to VR. It is a novelty.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't care for it right now.

It has yet to really prove itself, and we need to see it evolve more or be priced less. I'm biding my time because I'll it will improve one day.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

Did you read the OP? The hype around VR seems to be dying. Most gamers are not using it or motion control. Nearly everyone has quietly gone back to regular gaming, controller or M&K.

I maintain there are too many drawbacks to VR. It is a novelty.
Just because Hype around VR has died doesn't mean people don't use it.

i was just at a major fighting game tournament in my city a couple of weekends ago running the PA systems for the show and saw quite a few VR stations there with lots of people getting into the Vive and i'm sure i'll be seeing VR once again later this year at both Comic Con and PAX. hell even VR doesn't show up at Comic Con, Joust for the PS3 is guaranteed to be on show there like it always is.

Just because people don't get hyped about Touch Screens anymore does that mean nobody uses them anymore now too?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Just because Hype around VR has died doesn't mean people don't use it.

i was just at a major fighting game tournament in my city a couple of weekends ago running the PA systems for the show and saw quite a few VR stations there with lots of people getting into the Vive and i'm sure i'll be seeing VR once again later this year at both Comic Con and PAX. hell even VR doesn't show up at Comic Con, Joust for the PS3 is guaranteed to be on show there like it always is.

Just because people don't get hyped about Touch Screens anymore does that mean nobody uses them anymore now too?
I bet VR is really cool at an event, as a novelty and a spectacle. That is a little different to it being in most homes and used daily. People go and watch 3D films at the cinema, it has not taken off in the home and revolutionised entertainment.

I think touch screens are very different. touch was a quality of life improvement, removing barriers to access. If anything, VR adds stages and faff.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
I bet VR is really cool at an event, as a novelty and a spectacle. That is a little different to it being in most homes and used daily. People go and watch 3D films at the cinema, it has not taken off in the home and revolutionised entertainment.

I think touch screens are very different. touch was a quality of life improvement, removing barriers to access. If anything, VR adds stages and faff.
touch screens were a gimmick and mostly get used for selecting menu options these days rather than pressing buttons. they have become a natural edition to console controls just like Analogue sticks have and just like Motion Controls are becoming now. Motion Controls aren't just "waggle" these days like they used to be 10 years ago and thinking they are is just plain ignorance to what's happening with new motion controlled games that come out.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
Too expensive at the moment and I have a serious problem of not nearly enough room in my home to actually use the VR properly in most games. In short, it is a bit of an abysmal device for people who do not have a lot of room to actually play properly but it is a gimmick that might have some future but not for me.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

touch screens were a gimmick and mostly get used for selecting menu options these days rather than pressing buttons. they have become a natural edition to console controls just like Analogue sticks have and just like Motion Controls are becoming now. Motion Controls aren't just "waggle" these days like they used to be 10 years ago and thinking they are is just plain ignorance to what's happening with new motion controlled games that come out.
Touch screen is no where near standard in controllers and motion control games are few and far between... with the exception of nintendo who have gone all in with that gimmick.

Let me explain. If you bought a controller without analogue sticks you would think it odd. That is not the case with motion control or touch screen.

Apr 5, 2008
Myria said:
The death of 3D displays in the home is a very relevant example of how the desire of manufacturers to have something new to sell, the press to have something new to talk about, and techie's desire to have something new to play with does not make a successful product. It has to give people something they want without significant drawbacks. VR shares many of the drawbacks of 3D TV and adds in a few of its own for good measure, that can't be ignored.
This is an argument I have used myself and very much agree with. In essence, it highlights not only another technology that failed to succeed but also the reason why. The reason VR will fail, if people are reluctant to say it already has, is lack of content, or more specifically, lack of compelling content. Content is the single most important factor, bar none. Price of entry, motion sickness, required space are all barriers too, but they are surmountable. Lack of content however is insurmountable.

Why, right now, May 22nd 2017 as I write this message, are there several hardware platforms and few, if any, actual games? And I don't mean games that work with or without VR, because if they work without VR, they aren't VR games and won't help sell the platform. Why are there not, right now, today, available a dozen or 20+ full VR games with many more in development? There are no games out now and none in development that will convince anyone who has all of the money, space and doesn't get motion sick to buy it. If they won't buy it, why would anyone else?

Content is KING and there is none for VR. 3D never caught on because of lack of compelling content, and VR will suffer the same fate. There needs to be a dozen and more exclusive, full VR games which are innovative, interesting and good enough to warrant the money, the hardware is almost irrelevant in comparison. Not only do they need to be VR games, they need to be *good* games! If VR fails, which i say it already has, it will be because there's no content, not because there's anything wrong with the tech or the price. Along with the need for 3D glasses however, there's no question that the extra process is itself a barrier, but if the content was good and plentiful enough, it could be worthwhile.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
bjj hero said:
Yoshi178 said:
bjj hero said:

Touch screen is no where near standard in controllers and motion control games are few and far between... with the exception of nintendo who have gone all in with that gimmick.

Let me explain. If you bought a controller without analogue sticks you would think it odd. That is not the case with motion control or touch screen.
in Hand held consoles. Touch Screen controls are definitely standard now. and not just for Nintendo systems. PS Vita and Mobile phones use them too. and Hell even the Dual Shock 4 for the PS4 has a touch pad on it which is basically the same type of thing except you can't do anywhere near as much stuff on a touch pad as you can do on a touch screen.

PS4 obviously isn't a handheld but nonetheless, it still features touch controls.

miladin

May 22, 2017
Well, windows VR devices (Acer VR and HP VR) are available for pre-order (for developers right now, for consumers in a late summer)

COST: ONLY 300USD.(400 with motion controllers)
Expensive computer is not needed. It will run on Intel integrated graphics. (But I think it will not work with outdated hardware)
You can research more about these devices on Google.

It uses inside-out tracking, so no need for complicated setup.

Only possible drawback could be LCD screen of those devices. We need to wait for reviews. And it is questionable will it be suitable for gaming.

Lenovo and Asus are also making low-cost W10 devices.

HTC and google are making new mobile standalone device with positional tracking. It don't require either PC or mobile phone.

We will hear more about all those devices at E3.