Poll: SPOILERS Dead Space 2 has gone too far.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
"cross my heart, hope to die..."

Those who played it will know what I'm talking about (It's practically the endgame), and know that THAT scene is way worse than the exploding babies.
For a game built on purely disturbing imagery, "Stick a needle in your eye" was downright shocking.

Joka-90

Nov 19, 2009
I think shooting something which is clearly a baby is the point being made.
Its one thing to shoot a lurker which are clearly alien because of the 3 tentacles but shooting something which is in baby attire and crying blurs the lines between the necromorph and an actual infant.

Also, it is clear that the response its just a game isn't one which the majority follow other wise MOH and six days in fallujuh wouldn't have caused any controversy.

And laughing at killing babies....... speaks for itself

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Cliff_m85 said:
So you're upset that pixels were rearranged in a different fashion?

You do know that no babies have died from you shooting pixels, right?
No! Bad Escapist!

You can't claim games are art and are a legitimate form for expressing ideas and then fall back to "It's just a game"!

It's always 'just a game' or never 'just a game', they don't get to be deep and meaningful and evocative only when it suits gaming. Over three decades of increasing realism to bring the player closer to the action invalidates the claim of it just 'being pixels', that's not how the developer intended it to be viewed.
Let's bring JD Salinger up on charges for the assassination of John Lennon?

Games can be deep and meaningful. "Catcher in the Rye" is still just a goddamn book. It may be a well-written work of art, but it's still fictional and just a book.

Did Maxwell ever kill anyone with his Silver Hammer? Can you REALLY not touch this? Did Rick actually want to have Jesse's girl?

The developer of the above and the game intended one or two things: People to think and/or people to have fun with it.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
1. Not really spoilers because the pack and crawlers were both shown in pre-release trailers.
2. The game is rated M for a reason. Disturbing violence is allowed and should be expected.
3. They're necromorphs. The babies are even shown using sympathy to kill someone.

MaxP779

Jan 21, 2011
Im so glad to see that most have picked the "no" option or "its just a game" Sorry but the rest of you who picked yes are clearly too sensitive for video games and should go read a book or pick flowers or something.

Joka-90

Nov 19, 2009
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
It ain't developed by Visceral unless there are zombified babies in it...just saying!
what about the simpsons game.. all the james bonds.... the god fathers.. dont remember zombie babies

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
Uhh, the Demon babies from the last game deserved to die, but these ones have context and a clear origin so while it is a game and it shouldn't be an issue, what suprises me is that EA didn't sell the contreversy like in Medal of Honour.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I spent all weekend playing this game, (a nice length of about ten hours, if you explore in search of items quite a bit like I did) and while I found the crawlers and pack incredibly wrong, well, that's the point. For one thing, as someone mentioned earlier, the necromorphs would not spare children, so the lack of said child necromorphs would be a logical problem, but dead rising, left 4 dead, and other "infection based enemy" games manage to get by without young infected, I'd have let them get away with it too.

The point is though, horror is littered with examples of making a dangerous situation scarier with the use of enemies you wouldn't want to simply kill. Zombies? They aren't truly scary because of getting eaten alive, or their numbers, or even their ability to keep going with gaping holes in them, it was the thought of having to kill your family, and friends in order to survive. What about alma? How better to make an evil force basically unkillable than by making it take form of something so seemingly innocent as a little girl?

By casting children, and even babies, as enemies, dead space 2 taps into that disturbing feeling of having to kill something that typically, a decent person wouldn't even so much as hit. I respect this game for daring to break that boundary in the name of having a more effective and disturbing experience, like films have dared to break in the past.

Battenbergcake

Oct 4, 2009
If you're unfromfortable then that's good horror's meant to make you feel at odds with yourself and your security.

Metazare

Nov 1, 2010
If we are lucky, dead space 3 will have us killing peoples grandmothers. My eye balls tingle with anticipation.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I had a friend over and I was showing him some gameplay and it happened to be the nursery scene. I had Mr. Clarke walk into nursery and I came across the mother calling for her (dead) baby. When they exploded, my friend and I sort of chuckled, but at the same time thinking that this is fucked up. I am glad that they didn't pull any punches with the horror.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
about half way through that area, i kinda realized the morality in it, then a baby blew me across the room
'if its hostile, you kill it'
on that note, in the airport scene in MW2, i did not shoot anyone that did/could shoot me back (so pretty much nothing until the swat showed up)

Shadowtek

Jul 30, 2008
I did about 10 minutes of research on the game before the release date and knew that one. Theirs a lot of that kind of stuff in the game. Just keep in mind, "Its just a game".

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Is it an 18+ game? if so, shush.
HorrorGames can go as far as they want to be truly horrifying and repulsive, so it can creep you the fck out, me thinks.
And good that children/infants are finally in a game where you can shoot them.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
"Oh no crying babies, im so scared and im going to cry like a little baby."

grow a pair, its a game, and one thing they love is contraversy. also crying babyes in teh nursery is a really nice touch to set the mood. i tell you dead space 2 blew up my expectations, i was so not expecting it to be this good....

Jarcin

Oct 1, 2010
Dante's Inferno let me grab babies and explode them with god...I'd rather of used a gun <.<