Poll: Teens sleeping together?

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
I have no problem with teens having sexual relationships as long as they use protection, don't let it define them, and don't just do it with anybody.

If i had a teenage son/daughter in a relationship i wouldn't force them to be celebate, it's their descision.

If they experiment with relationships and sex at a young age they will be happier in life as long as they have someone to guide them through who's been there before.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
InfiniteSingularity said:
If you're not a fucking idiot then why not? Me and my girlfriend are both teens under 18. We are sexually active and we are 100% safe at all times. What's wrong with that? We can make our own choices and we don't need anyone else telling us what to do. I'm speaking on behalf of most teenagers, who I would assume by the poll results, agree with my standpoint
I laughed. Sex is, has never been and probably will never be 100% safe. Even multiple layers of protection (that is, male condom, female condom, the contraceptive pill and spermicides) can strictly speaking fail, and I'm going to guess that you don't exactly go to all of those lengths.

The world is overpopulated as it is. We don't need people who aren't financially or emotionally ready to take care of children engaging in an activity where there is a likelihood, even if it is a slim one, of the reproductive act being completed. As clichéd and trite as it sounds, the only 100% safe method of protection is abstinence, and it is distinct knowledge of this that allowed me to resist my biological urges during my teenage years, and indeed, during my younger adult years, whereby I have not been in a financial situation which would make fatherhood at all a sensible or logical idea.
It doesn't really matter. My point is that there is, quite realistically, no chance of something going wrong with me and my girlfriend. Yea it's not 100% guarantee, but there are enough 9s after 99.9% that it might as well be. And yeah, there's a risk - there is always a risk. But we're willing to take that risk. It's our personal choice. And quite frankly, I'm not going to sacrifice a personal wish of mine for the sake of "overpopulation". Sorry, but my individual rights and freedoms are more important to me than stopping overpopulation. You want to stop overpopulation? So do I. Restricting underage sex won't do it - it's like prohibition. It didn't work for alcohol or drugs, it ain't gonna work for this. Restricting the amount of children for all couples is the way to do it - do you want to enforce that? Neither do I.

There are people who aren't financially or emotionally ready for children who are past their 30s. Should we be restricting their sexual activity? Should we be isolating them by trying to actually find who is responsible enough to have children and who isn't? Should the government really be enforcing more and more laws to reduce the need for people to think for themselves? If people want to have sex, then they should go ahead - if they want to take that risk to their livelihood, it's no one else's business. And if you're concerned about overpopulation, there are much more substantial problems contributing much more than underage sex.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add: You're really missing out. I feel sorry for you, man

SirDoom

Sep 8, 2009
Honestly, your parents really shouldn't be concerned if you're 18+. They should be concerned with you getting the hell out of their house, but not with who you sleep with.

That's if your girl is okay with sleeping with you though. I once suggested that my ex should spend the night at my place. Even after backpedaling and saying the spare bedroom is free, she still looked at me like I had just run over her dog in the driveway or something. Needless to say, it didn't work out.

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
I believe that if the couple has an open conversation about sex and they both decide they're ready (without feeling pressured from their partner), then they should be able to have sex. This kind of takes care of age weeding out anyway, because girls in particular probably wouldn't be REALLY ready for sex until they're 16+ (15 at the youngest). Either that or they're really mature... For example:

I'm sixteen years old. I had sex with my girlfriend when I was 13. Yeah, I was young.. But I don't regret it at all. We had multiple conversations about whether or not we were ready for sex before we finally did the deed, and we discussed what we were and weren't comfortable with (to the best of our knowledge since we were both virgins). I'm still with her, and we're quickly approaching our three year anniversary.

But we have a weirdly mature relationship, so that's not right for everyone.

Also, before anyone opens their mouth and tells me I know nothing about mature relationships or maturity in general... Yeah, I do. My parents are still married (and it's their first marriage), so I've had a great role model to base my relationship off of and I'm in college (graduated early). And my girlfriend is seventeen. So... We're not exactly your "average teenage couple", and I'm not exactly an average teenager. But.. That's my personal experience.

Edit: I'm gay though, so I never really had to worry about STDs (I know it's possible for lesbians to get STDs, it's just extremely hard to do and neither of us had slept with anyone anyway, so we were clean) or pregnancy*.. But the most important part to me was figuring out if I was ready for the emotional aspect of it. Spoiler: I was!

*Funny story... Since I was gay and my mom didn't know anything about lesbian sex, she decided that my dad should have the sex talk with me because he might get it a little more. He was so uncomfortable that all he wound up saying was that "No meant no" and I should go on Oprah if Anna [my girlfriend] ever got me pregnant... I love you, Dad <3 =]

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
No. Now granted we coddle our children entirely too much in this day and age. However, because we DO coddle our children too much, they simply are not yet prepared to handle such things with any degree of responsibility.

No, it boils down to those who support the notion are young enough to think "Yeah I am responsible, I should be able to do that" and the ones who are saying no are the ones who have lived long enough to understand why that is such a horrible and irresponsible idea. And its no coincidence that the demographic of the site just so happens to reflect those age brackets.

OT: Now, being realistic.. you can want to stop kids from it, lemme know how that works out, because Im pretty sure that has never ended well.

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
SeeIn2D said:
As long as you aren't stupid and and you know not to like believe all those stupid myths like "Oh if you pull out before you actually finish then she can't get pregnant"; thats a nice one; then it is fine.
This is totally off topic, but the pull-out method can be just as effective as condoms when done correctly. The kicker is the "when done correctly" part... And it also doesn't really help with preventing STDs.

But yeah.. If your only concern is pregnancy and you're extremely self-controlled then the pull out method could work for you.

One source: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm (Click on the "How Effective is it?" section)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
It's a perfectly natural occurance, I don't see why not. As long as it's safe and consentual that it's all good. :D

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Jamie Doerschuck said:
SeeIn2D said:
As long as you aren't stupid and and you know not to like believe all those stupid myths like "Oh if you pull out before you actually finish then she can't get pregnant"; thats a nice one; then it is fine.
This is totally off topic, but the pull-out method can be just as effective as condoms when done correctly. The kicker is the "when done correctly" part... And it also doesn't really help with preventing STDs.

But yeah.. If your only concern is pregnancy and you're extremely self-controlled then the pull out method could work for you.

One source: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm (Click on the "How Effective is it?" section)
Yeah, as long as you've thoroughly checked your pre-ejaculate for any sperm prior to and during sexual intercourse you should be fine.

Suggesting it as a valid form of birth control is naive at the best of times. Suggesting it for a teenage boy is borderline abuse.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
You're 17.... who cares?

I think it also matters about the gender of the child.
Many parents care more about their daughter having sex than their son.

I don't see a problem with teens sleeping together.
Sex, I think depends on the age, maturity, length/seriousness of relationship.

I think if they aren't educated and protected they should probably not have sex regardless of age.

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
Stasisesque said:
Jamie Doerschuck said:
SeeIn2D said:

Yeah, as long as you've thoroughly checked your pre-ejaculate for any sperm prior to and during sexual intercourse you should be fine.

Suggesting it as a valid form of birth control is naive at the best of times. Suggesting it for a teenage boy is borderline abuse.
I'm not exactly "suggesting" it, I'm just saying it's possible..

wootsniper

Aug 6, 2009
crudus said:
Just because you are sharing a bed, does that mean you are having sex? In my experience: no (...sadly). I really don't see the issue. Now having sex, that is a totally different issue entirely. Sex does crazy thing to your biologically that is actually quite intense. I was saddened when I learned nobody told me about that. Sure they told us about all the STDs, pregnancies, etc, but never mentioned what your brain does after sex which is probably the scariest thing on that list in my opinion.
What do you mean "Sex does crazy thing to your biologically"?
Why is everyone on this site so dark and gloomy about sex(uality). Pedophiles, people who are only attracted by fictional characters and people who are not attracted by anyone at all.

Seriously, please tell me what happens to your brain
Your freaking me out man! :S

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
wootsniper said:
crudus said:
Just because you are sharing a bed, does that mean you are having sex? In my experience: no (...sadly). I really don't see the issue. Now having sex, that is a totally different issue entirely. Sex does crazy thing to your biologically that is actually quite intense. I was saddened when I learned nobody told me about that. Sure they told us about all the STDs, pregnancies, etc, but never mentioned what your brain does after sex which is probably the scariest thing on that list in my opinion.
What do you mean "Sex does crazy thing to your biologically"?
Why is everyone on this site so dark and gloomy about sex(uality). Pedophiles, people who are only attracted by fictional characters and people who are not attracted by anyone at all.

Seriously, please tell me what happens to your brain
Your freaking me out man! :S
Wow, I did not catch that grammatical nightmare in my post.

Anyway, sex isn't just for reproduction in humans. After you have sex a cocktail of endorphins are released which you associate with the person with you at the time. This increases emotional bonding with said person. This is good for married couples, but not so much for young teenagers.In the end it causes quite the emotional damage (for lack of a better word) when the break up does happen. Essentially it is why "just sex" never works. As <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.300008-Poll-Teens-sleeping-together?page=3#11941119>Julianking93 pointed out, it isn't true for everyone at every point in time. It is just how humans tend to be genetically wired.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Sex? Sure.
Get married and/or have children? No, wear a condom.

(As one) Teenages are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to immature to handle children. I don't know why so many teens these days want to have kids these days. I know several mothers who were impregnated when they were 15-16 years old.... And if I'm not mistaken that's illegal? (In North America and I had sex before I was 18 too, so I'm not ragging on them) But if you want to waste your early life on a child who will probably be raised in a home that can't afford it to feel more "mature" knock your self out.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
crudus said:
Just because you are sharing a bed, does that mean you are having sex? In my experience: no (...sadly). I really don't see the issue. Now having sex, that is a totally different issue entirely. Sex does crazy things to your biologically that is actually quite intense. I was saddened when I learned nobody told me about that. Sure they told us about all the STDs, pregnancies, etc, but never mentioned what your brain does after sex which is probably the scariest thing on that list in my opinion.
I think they were lying to you. And if they weren't, I don't imagine it's any different than masturbation in terms of what it does to you biologically. In fact, you've got me curious now, what exactly did THEY tell you it did to your body biologically?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
The only way I can really respond to this thread is by saying it's the 21st god damn century. TWENTY MOTHERFUCKING FIRST. How futuristic does that shit sound? We have mapped the human genome and are quickly approaching unlocking the secret to aging. I think two teens can sleep together and have sex fairly safely.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I don't see any problems with teens having protected sex. In all reality, if a person isn't capable of making intelligent decisions for themselves by the time they're 14, they're not going to be by 18.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
Gah, my mother has a problem with this. My girlfriend of nine months (today) and I are both going into college this year, and yet my mother freaks out whenever I suggest my girlfriend spending the night. Her reason? She doesn't feel comfortable with me growing up and she doesn't want to be put in a situation where she has to acknowledge it. >.>

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I've ALWAYS wanted to say my piece in this matter, so thank you. I think it doesn't matter if they sleep together so long as they use protection BECAUSE it's human nature.

Think about this for a second. Once upon a time when the pilgrims landed in the new world and were obnoxious pricks to the natives, only the very, very, very lucky people got to live to 30. Human beings are, at best, animals inhabiting earth; so tell me, when was the last time you saw a mother dog push her son off a female because he "Wasn't old enough to take responsibility for it's actions"? Never. It's a law of nature that if you have it, use it or somebody else will.

In conclusion, I find conservative views of sex annoying and in opposition to the fundamental laws of nature, and the laws of man should be utterly disregarded on the basis that the people who make modern laws need E.D. drugs anyways.