Poll: The next fail in gaming

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Sony, because they PS and the PS2 were so good they were always due for 2 console fails in a row =P (I'm not including that motion thingy either, i've had a mind blank about it's name though.)

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
Xzi said:
FalloutJack said:
If any of these are so much failures, why are they THE BIG THREE? Seriously, all three are appreciated by many in the masses.
Failure doesn't necessarily mean low sales numbers.
Considering they are businesses, selling well and making money is the antithesis of failure.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know which console will fail, I just hope there will be a fail at all this time.

Yeah, you heard me, I want a console to fail. Why? Because when all consoles are almost equal, none of them are really great. For the first time in a console generation, I have all the available consoles - and I got a bone to pick with each one of them!

It used to be easy, you know, 4th gen? SNES, of course. 5th gen? PlayStation, a bit more debatable, but in the end, definitely PlayStation. 6th gen? PlayStation 2, big time. 7th gen? Euhm... Sony has forsaken its JRPG audience, Microsoft has forsaken its hardware and Nintendo has forsaken its soul.

So yeah, I don't know WHO will fail - my guess is nobody, actually - but I do hope SOMEONE will.

TheLoneSeeker

Your Towel
Feb 8, 2010
Depends whether we're talking financial fail or actual product fail.

As far as the actual products go, I suspect this next generation will actually be pretty good. There's been some pretty big missteps this generation (RROD, SD graphics/poor motion control Wii, fat PS3) and the manufacturers have had a long time to listen to consumer feedback. Hopefully that will mean more solid and reliable products in the next generation.

Financially I reckon Sony and Nintendo might be in trouble. Sony because they have a track record of high production costs, not to mention any long-term financial consequences of the PSN breach. This could result in either a high price-point or poor quality product.

Nintendo could be in pretty deep poop if they don't get consumers and investors excited by the Wii U. Putting the Wii brand on it was a mistake, because as soon as you mention the Wii to the average consumer now, they automatically think of Wii remotes, motion control and family gaming. It would have been a lot easier to get people excited and eager to hand over their money with a new branding, and maybe an aesthetic shift away from the clean white console/controller to set it apart from what they have now.

Just my thoughts.

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
Nintendo is the wrong answer. They have both the casual and hardcore markets on lock. The casual folks like silly gimmicks, and when that market dries up, they always have Zelda and friends in their back pocket. They can't lose at this point. Making games has been their only job since 1974. They do it pretty damn well.

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Depends how you define success. Profits? Market share? Innovation? Artistry? Versatility? Technical prowess? Happy customers? Flaxen hair and prodigious bosoms? Wait, what are we talking about?

The Wii U will be a cardboard box containing nothing but a skipping rope, a dozen trivial pursuit cards, and a bill for every Nintendo game you currently own. It will make more money than God and Oprah combined.

Buying the Playstation 4 will entail remortgaging your house, upgrading your movie collection to Bluray 2.0:Extreme!!!, and signing your children over to a life of menial labour in Kevin Butler's Epic-Awesome Slave Mines.

And Microsoft will... Uhhh... Shit. Quick, what's funny about Microsoft?!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Xzi said:
Phoenixmgs said:
MAG (best online FPS)
I agreed with everything you said except the bolded bit. You must be out of your damn mind, boy. xD
I played the MAG beta/demo for about a month and it was the best online FPS I've played this gen. I like my shooters old-school with a health bar, no 1 button nade tossing (you should have to cycle from you gun to a nade to throw it), no moving spawns, FPS leaning, teamwork, etc. The only thing MAG doesn't have is FPS leaning, and almost every FPS nowadays has the opposite of what I just listed and that is why MAG is my favorite online FPS. I never got around to buying MAG because I like Metal Gear Online better (and it has FPS leaning and it's a TPS) and I still play it weekly.

randomfox said:
Exclusive games are great for gamers, but gamers are not longer the majority when it comes to sales. Video games are a business, and to survive companies need to cater to the causal crowd just as much as the hardcore gamers. Compare the sales of Uncharted 2 [http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/28733/uncharted-2-among-thieves/] vs the sales for Wii Play [http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/2666/wii-play/]. Uncharted had more in opening weeks, but Wii Play has more sales overall. Way more.

Video Games are a business, and money makes the business world go 'round.
I don't care if Wii Play sold more than Uncharted 2, I care that I want to play Uncharted 2 whereas I don't want to play Wii Play. Sony has more exclusives that I like, which is the number 1 reason I bought a PS3. Uncharted and other games sell well enough to have sequels so they are turning profits.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I have never been a fan of Nintendo really. We have a Wii in the house, which I have maybe used once or twice, on the day we got it a few years ago. I also don't like the look of the new console they are bringing out, and I hope Microsoft and Sony don't steer their next consoles in that direction as well.