Poll: The TF2 Insult

Mr. Underson

Mar 28, 2011
I might be pissed off if I bought it a week ago, but I got my 100 hours out of it months ago and got bored.

Kayhoff

Mar 18, 2010
I kind of wish I could have chosen both You're overreacting and Go Die in a Fire. That was easily one of the most insulting rants I've ever read. Valve doesn't owe you shit. You paid for TF 2, and the kind of service they has provided over the years is easily worth more than what you paid.

cke

Jun 20, 2010
La Barata said:
Now, every server is crammed with hundreds of people who, in all likelihood, have no interest whatsoever in the game.
Can you explain this sentence to me?

Also, I'm glad the game is now free, I got a lot of fun out of it and it only costed 8 quid.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I really like that it's now free to play. I've always wanted to play TF2, but I didn't really want to cough up 20 bucks yet. I had other games that I'd play first, but now, I can play it for free, excellent. I started playing as a Pyro, and I'm surprisingly good. That, or the Pyro is ridiculously cheap. I wouldn't know.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
for every griever there will be 10 noobs and i get to push my K/D quota with classes i can't really play, that's freaking awesome. Also free headshots

edit: the only people who may have reasons to complain are those who bought the game very recently, as in the last 4 weeks or so.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Wow...this sounds like such elitist BS.
"No they dont have to pay? This game which has been great for years is INSTANTLY dead!"
If nothing else think of it as free kills? plus with free you get full matches a lot quicker, who cares if they have no interest in the game, let the people have their fun without throwing a shitfit

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
KILGAZOR said:
Yep. TF2 is broken, has been for awhile; all game balance was destroyed when they started adding unlocks and random drops. Then again, it's not really that different from games like CoD and Battlefield who go through the same unlock bullshit that all shooters seem to go through. TF2 has it the worst, though, with random drops and the ridiculous length of the intervals between unlocks. For fuck's sake, game developers, competitive online shooters ARE NOT FUCKING MMOS. We don't play to grind for meaningless experience and a false sense of satisfaction. We play to challenge ourselves and to get action-packed thrills, not pointless click over and over until something flashes on your screen going "GOOD JOB, SHEEP".

Unlocks will be the downfall of the multiplayer shooter if this pattern isn't stopped. Mark my words.

EDIT: Now that I'm re-reading the thread and my own post, I realize what I wrote doesn't have a whole lot to do with the topic, which is TF2 becoming F2P. My response to that is that TF2 was broken before the F2P update, so it doesn't really matter.
100% true. That's why I look for a competitive landscape, I play stuff like Quake Live, Starcraft II, and Bloodline Champions... These don't have any of that, and it's only really skill holding you back (and game balance in SC/BLC's case) - not some persistent items you don't have or haven't unlocked.

That's not to say that games like League of Legends and TF2 aren't fun, because they are - it's just not a competitive/balanced game in the correct sense of the word until you get to the very top tier of gameplay where everyone already has this stuff and the playing field is equalized.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
La Barata said:
The thing that I take offense to the most, though, is what they decided to offer those who already paid for the game.

We get a hat.
You shouldn't have got anything. You paid $20 to join a fun online experience that has been going for four years. You got what you paid for.

Besides, you said yourself that it was dying. It sounds like you were about to give up playing it anyway, so letting more people play it for free shouldn't even have any impact on you.

Get off your high horse and let the masses enjoy themselves.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I agree we should have gotten a better compensation.
I think I payed 12 euro,s for the game (60 for the orange box /5=12 per game) maybe 20$ of store credit?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Oh how I wish my life was so utterly and totally carefree that something like this would be what really got my panties in a twist. How sweet it would be to lamentably espouse:

"A game that's been out for almost 4 years became free! The peasantry are at the gates! Oh how will I ever cope?"

...on second thought, I just might prefer to keep the sense of proportionality I've attained.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
This is the biggest load of whining I've heard in a long time. If you were told you could either buy TF2 when you did or wait several years and get it for free you'd have paid for it anyway. You come across as arrogant, very presumptuous and sulky. Free to play means more players, most of whom will have some interest in FPS games or they wouldn't have downloaded it.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
La Barata said:
-Snipped Whining-
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who write posts this melodramatic:
If you don't like it, GTFO my TF2. Nobody will miss you.

I'll also address your two "arguments", and explain why I think you're wrong:
-The Items:
I think the addition of an item system was perfect. Valve obviously pays attention to the community; they release some of the more popular community maps as official maps. They even added in a new game mode a few years after release. The real meat of it is that they create these new items to suit existing play styles for the classes that use them. If you're the spy who likes using deception, here's the Dead Ringer. If you hate blowing up all your stickies at once, here's your Scottish Resistance. The stat changes are small and usually balanced by some negative effect because it keeps everything even. I'm amazed they're still able to do that to any extent, given the huge arsenal available as of the Uber Update. And the store is only optional, you can find or craft everything yourself. It breathes life into a game that's at least.. what, 6 years old now? The item system isn't the only reason I play TF2 even today, but it plays no small part.

-Free to Play:
Why not? My friends who couldn't afford or didn't want to shell out 20 bucks for TF2 can play with me now. My list of friends who own TF2 has doubled if not tripled. This means that I'll have more chances to play with people I know. It means that there will probably be more servers up for the game, people can use the 20 bucks they saved to rent their own server space. It means that even if I play with random people I'll be likely to catch a few more fresh faces. More people playing a good game is not a bad thing.

--THE IMPORTANT PART--
Some of the best servers I've played on aren't all that serious. TF2 is by definition a competitive game, and all the elements are there, but I've never felt the drive to be that intense. People CAN hack, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with a single instance where they did. Even IF they did, who cares? You don't get anything for winning or losing. This isn't Call of Duty. The formula for getting items is sketchy at best, and isn't based on performance. Might as well enjoy the time you're spending in the game. If someone's being THAT big of a jerk, this update didn't do anything to change the 'kick' button. I want to introduce new people to the Saxton Hale game mode. I want to show new players the wonders of TF2 Hide-And-Seek. I want to run around saying silly things and spraying funny images on the walls. Perhaps I'll make new friends with a couple new guys. Maybe I'll try my hand at Coaching, now that there are way more new players. When I'm done with that, and I get serious, I want to be standing next to a new player, so that my Scout will look 20x cooler by comparison. The fact that Valve still updates the game this far from release is pretty cool, considering they're one of the only developers that still do this sort of thing, and I'm not going to complain when they say "Well, we're not going to make any more money off this; it's free for you guys now, and in addition we're still adding content."
That, and for the 20 bucks I spent, I get a free hat. I like hats.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
henritje said:
I think I payed 12 euro,s for the game (60 for the orange box /5=12 per game) maybe 20$ of store credit?
Bwahaha, you're joking right? The orange box was £30 for Half Life 2, Episode 1/2, Portal and TF2. Five fully fleshed out games for £30, and you want store credit? Grow up. Almost every game in the orange box has gone on sale for about 99p at some point or another, did you want store credit for those other games too? Maybe a full refund is in order. ¬¬

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
You do realise that in competitive TF2 vanilla equipment gets used most of the time because it still is the best overall, right? =p So stop your whining.

That said, I like my new hat. Dad's Army hijinx can ensue now. <3

Edit: And seriously, a refund? What for? Did the game not live up to your expectations, is it now somehow not worth what you spent on it? I would imagine you've had ?12 worth of fun by now. =p

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
henritje said:
Well, you bought the game at discount since it was in the Orange Box, so for your approximately 12 dollars you got not just that hat, but ALL your hats, and your rare items, and those 12 euros let you play it before it was free, AND you get to be a premium member for the rest of forever, so you get all the benefits that entails from now until forever. You don't know yet whether or not they'll release premium-player-only content (perhaps more hats) later, so all that is still paid for by the 12 dollars you paid something like 4 years ago.

Did you have fun playing the game? Hasn't the time you spent up until now been worth the 12 dollars?