Poll: The Warrior, the Wizard and the Thief

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Well in computer/tabletop RPG I would generally go with a rogue or a wizard. When I LARP, its all about the warrior, because nothing trumps the physical feedback from smashing things. Until you get backstabbed by a crafty rogue... but that is made up for by when you are face to face with rogue, armed with mace and shield/sword/your bare hands, and they have only a dagger and nowhere to run/hide

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I tend to favour the thief style of plays, usually in the form of stealthing around taking everyone's stuff and then after the one assassination I get off using high agility based moves to take on the best fighters and survive (Usually in the form of parries, disarms, disorients, poisons and stuns)

Though the Tank-mage style play always appealed to me (Plate wearing tank that uses magic to deal damage (Usually the Shadowknight/Deathknight archetype))

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Karhukonna said:
Whenever possible, I roleplay a financially crippled pugilist. Dressed in rags, flailing fists so powerful I might as well have a warhammer in each hand. I still don't understand why they removed Unarmed for Skyrim. =(

I also like to dabble around with all three archetypes, and I have no favorite.
Unarmed combat is still viable in Skyrim, there are a special set of gloves you can get in the Thieves Guild that are enchanted to help you with unarmed combat. I'd recommend getting those, disenchanting them, leveling up smithing, get Daedric gauntlets, enchant those and then go punch a dragon in the face.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
It's a tie between Thief and Wizard for me. Whenever I can I play the combination of these two archetypes. I love to sneak up on things, steal stuff, break&enter... all of that. But when stealth fails, there is nothing I'd rather do than burn my enemies alive with just a wave of my hand.

I always liked how you can never "disarm" wizards (unless lore dictates they need some sort of stick to cast spells - which is silly). Your magic is always with you, always available. They can lock you up in prison, strip you of your gear, but that won't stop you from incinerating the fools if you so choose.

Never cared for Warriors, they bore me.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
I mix and match (my main on Skyrim does all three) but if given a hard choice I go with Wizard.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
I really have no preference. I love all three.

I like warriors because I find nothing more satisfying than bashing in a goblin's face with a war hammer, also I like to be able to face off powerful enemies and watch as they hit me ineffectually.

I like wizards because they can kill everyone in a room with a flick of their wrist and because you can taunt enemies that run at you by waiting until the last second before casting a spell that would kill them instantly.

Finally I like thieves because I get a lot of fun out of sneaking, being an assassin basically. Creeping in the shadows and finding a target then stabbing them in the back and creeping back out, by the time people find out you've been there you're halfway across the land with a flagon of ale and a wench, bought with the money you got from selling all of your targets valuables.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I make sweet mages, I find them a little easy though.

I enjoy stealth and dual wielding, which often lends it'self to thieves (ranger in 4th Ed, which sucks because a Dexterous fighter in 3.5 ed use to be able to full off sweet stealth and two handed fighting even better in my experience)

I like warriors the best and tend to play through as a warrior first in all games ever since my first D&D campaign. They're hardy as balls and deal sweet damage.

I love archery to no end (IRL too) and I sometimes play through as an archer first (did in Oblivion) but I just can't turn away a sword and board set up or a massive greatsword.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I tend to pick warrior if I do not get a lot of customization options, but create a Warrior/Thief hybrid if I can.
Although in Skyrim, thanks to the console, I'm the Stealthy Warrior Mage.

Mr.Tophat

May 18, 2011
To quote a Wizard:

"I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

A warrior can smash stuff with a hammer, a thief can cut a throat or pick a pocket, but a wizard, a wizard can manipulate time and space itself!

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Steagony said:
I like thieves. Stealth just adds a whole new metagame wherever it appears. I get a stiffy whenever I see leather armor. I think cowls are cooler than ninja masks. Short swords and bows are just sweet as hell seriously.
I am on board with you my sneaky brother. I cannot add nor detract from anything in this quote because it is an exact summation of my feelings thieves and theif-related stuff.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
My ideal archtype is probably what I would define as 'spirit warrior'. Warrior with minor healing capabilities and utility spells to help compensate for being very melee focused.

I also prefer to be slow and unrelenting rather than fast and evasive followed by massive hammer hitting the ground and causing a lightning explosion or something.

Enhancement shamans in WoW a long time ago are the closest i've gotten to this probably because the normal warrior fit bores me after a while.

Also ambushing people is cool.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Dual-wield is probably my favourite, followed by archery / sniping. It staggered me in DA:O when people grumbled about how Rogues were underpowered compared to Mages, because my DW Warden could burn through everything in seconds. Great fun.
Agreed. I played a mage, and yeah, Fireball was overpowered and the ability to dispense large crowds quickly with the large area effecting spells was great, but I felt MUCH more powerful and could dispense small groups of enemies and bosses MUCH faster with my dual-wielding rogue. Also, leather armor + evasion abilities = much harder to kill than a squishy mage.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I like doing some combo like Spellswords (Fighter Mage), Brawlers (Figher Theif), or mages who use illusion to hide and steal.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
High speed and attack rate, stupidly good criticals, and, if possible, invisibility. lockpicking, sneakiness and semi-legal appropriation. Thieves work for me any day.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Mr.Tophat said:
but a wizard, a wizard can manipulate time and space itself!
I just LOVE backstabbing Mages, especially in Baldur's Gate. If your backstab does enough damage, they explode. Like seriously, the screen shakes, a high-pitched slash emanates from the back of the unfortunate sorcerer, and the whole room gets decorated with their viscera.

I can't tell you how satisfying that is.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I play as Conan from the first Arnold movie, I sneak around half naked with a big sword and when I get caught I kill everyone.

Mr.Tophat

May 18, 2011
Steagony said:
Mr.Tophat said:
I just LOVE backstabbing Mages, especially in Baldur's Gate. If your backstab does enough damage, they explode. Like seriously, the screen shakes, a high-pitched slash emanates from the back of the unfortunate sorcerer, and the whole room gets decorated with their viscera.

As a mage, ANYTHING I kill blows up hilariously and/or catches on fire. And what sort of mage doesn't have no detection spells up. Anyway. Thieves are always my second choice, because yes, backstabbing is super satisfying.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
I do like to play as a rogue, but I have a lot more fun being a white mage. Knowing that you're the only reason that everyone is still alive is quite gratifying in my opinion.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I have played the Warrior archetype in all the rpg's I've played.

I really enjoy being a bulky bastard swinging a two hander around like a boss.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Mr.Tophat said:
Steagony said:
Mr.Tophat said:

As a mage, ANYTHING I kill blows up hilariously and/or catches on fire. And what sort of mage doesn't have no detection spells up. Anyway. Thieves are always my second choice, because yes, backstabbing is super satisfying.
Cloak of Non-Detection says hi :3

EDIT: Seems like the Wizard is catching up to the Thief.