Poll: Violence is never the answer

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
It depends on the situation. I'm not going to be able to talk my way out of a mugging, I'll break that buggers goddamn arm (Assuming he/she is using just a knife). But I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
FlashHero said:
Look at Egypt right now. The way things are going they might get a democracy.
They probably won't. They'll probably end up like Afghanistan where Islamic extremists will take over, followed by America intervening in a few decades.

OT: I would only use violence if there is no other alternative. Just so you know, I've only ever used violence twice before to make my point.

Zanakanishi

Apr 21, 2009
Violence is a natural instinct, if something makes us feel at threat..for example "flight or fight" we either run (but, due to peer pressure and the way people are bought up, we feel like "cowards" if we run) or fight, during either the running or fighting, we would, for a short time be faster/stronger+more enduring, this proves.. that it is build into us to use violence at times, most animals use violence in some way.. and we are all animals.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
green_dude said:
rokkolpo said:
Most things are solved by violence, we're humans.

It's what we do best.
Your an idiot, most things are not solved by violence.

your inhuman

Violence is a part of all humans...so your the Idiot

And Most things can be solved by Violence

How did we got rid of the Hippies?...thats right with Violence

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
I can say that violence is ALWAYS an answer, but its not always THE BEST CHOICE. I will say that you can solve anything with some form of violence. But I belive it should be used as the absolute last resort. We are humans, not animals.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
gamezombieghgh said:
Random Fella said:
Violence is always the answer!!!
How do you think they solve who becomes president? A fight to the death.
So THAT'S how Bush won!
so your saying...i could be President?

Unless they say "No Fire Magic or Anyother Arcane Arts allowed"

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
violence is a means to an end....and it can be a matter of react back violently or be a victim of someones violent actions but this is not always the case of course

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
metal mustache said:
well maybe youre all quite tough but if someone wanted to beat the crap out of me i think singing kumbaya would be far more effective than any amount of actual resisting force i could muster.
See that's what weapons are for, I'm ok in a fight but even then against some 250 pound or more bruiser I'm way up shit's creek. Similar to a small woman being dragged off by a large man, put a knife, gun, tazer or even Mace (which I hesitate to recommend unless you can run like hell) or more improvised items like say... a trash can lid, and that small 100 pound woman is now capable of fending off her assailant. Yes you have to acquire the item and train with it, but in a self defense situation I'd think everyone thinks their necks are worth the time, effort and investment.

"God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal"

Now on the other hand the non-violent way out of it, is avoiding the situation all together, using solid SA (situational awareness) and keeping a good eye on what's going on around you, you can avoid a bad situation before it happens. Making smart choices like not walking around "local rough area" after dark is probably a good plan as well.

It's striking a balance between the two options that gives you the most choices, because one day your back might be against a wall and then you might need violence to escape with your hide intact. Same token, getting in to a tussle every situation that comes up is an excellent way to shorten your life span drastically. Using the two methods together is what results in an effective strategy.

Edit: oh and I thought of a new response to OP's poll

Don't try to pick an answer till you know the question.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
While a good ground rule, appeasement isn't always the answer in an imperfect world.

Just ask Neville Chamberlain

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Violence is never the answer but sometimes its just easier to think it is. Its a hard thing to stand against human nature and society and truly be a pacifist.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
rokkolpo said:
Most things are solved by violence, we're humans.

It's what we do best.
Wow reading your comment while listening to Requiem by Mozart = epic philosophy.

OT: You will always eventually come across someone who is relentless, persistent, violent and unwavering when anyone talks to them. Some people can not be negotiated with therefore violence will be the answer. Sure there are alternatives to fighting but many times before a great big conflict all those alternatives have been tried and exhausted and then a violent outburst is on the doorstep.

EDIT 1: Violence is the correct answer to the correct question. Much like if you asked what is 1+2 the answer is 3, we all know that. Let's say while China was studying for the big literature test (I'm not game to say math test), America came along and stole China's girlfriend. Now violence is a possible answer, much like 4 is a possible answer to 3 x 3, it doesn't mean 4 is the best choice, it is just a possibility. So violence isn't the best answer to all situations but it is absolutely the best answer in some situations.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
So if I was on wheel of fortune, and the letters "V i o _ e n c e" were on the board, violence wouldn't be the answer?
It could be Wheel of Racism, and the answer could be 'Viorence' instead.