Poll: Violence is never the answer

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Aby_Z said:
Violence is always an answer. Nothing more, nothing less.
But it should never be the preferred answer. Violence just causes pain, and sometimes pain is needed for the greater good, but pain is still pain, regardless of the reason, and so, to minimise suffering violence (or all things pain/damage) should always be used minimally.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Some people only listen to violence. Can't hurt to bust a few kneecaps once and again. Alltho i should admit I've allways tried to be the 'bigger' man and only fought twice in my life.

Once I didn't have a choice. It was self defense.

Once I was so angry that it was either breaking my fist on a wall or on his face. I choose face.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
When diplomacy gets thrown out the window by psychopathic megalomaniacs then it is time to whip out or S. A. W.s and kill the bastard, 'cause he'll sure as hell be aiming to kill you.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would like to say that non violence solution should be use 95% of the time. There will be a time when violence would have to be necessary use depending on the situation (should be use if the situation is small not on a gobal scale well again depend on what the situaton is).

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
It all depends on the situation.

If you want to inflict pain, then yes violence is the answer.
If someone annoys you in a bar, then violence probably isn't the answer.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm a pacifist, and believe that violence will never, ever solve anything. That said, it can sure be cathartic...

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Wherever possible, violence should not be used. Only as a last resort, and even then it is only because someone/ thing is being a bit of a problem.

EDIT: Captcha says "144 oropm"
I say "what?"

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Biosophilogical said:
Aby_Z said:
Violence is always an answer. Nothing more, nothing less.
But it should never be the preferred answer. Violence just causes pain, and sometimes pain is needed for the greater good, but pain is still pain, regardless of the reason, and so, to minimise suffering violence (or all things pain/damage) should always be used minimally.
Pain is not always bad, and some people even prefer pain. You can't please everyone, so you might as well stop trying.

CatComixzStudios

Jan 19, 2011
Violence and peace are two sides of the same coin, like light and darkness. It wouldn't be likely to have one without the other. We're humans, we're inclinded to disagree and argue. Once we can try to look past these things, can peace be in the majority.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Of course violence is never the answer. Because diplomacy worked so well back in 1938-39. "Peace for our time" as Chamberlain so well put it.

prinnydood3231

Aug 8, 2010
I consider myself the ultimate optimist dood. I would like to believe all people are capable of learning and are capable of controlling themselves rather than submitting to whatever indulgence happens to meet their fancy at the time. Violence, as a device for solving a problem, is only the quick and easy route that doesn't actually meet an end. It is the device for people without enough patience, understanding, or intelligence to see to a problem without any sort of insight.

It is an answer in the sense that people will always use it, forcing another into the will of someone else is easier than persuasion in getting what one wants. Which is not hard to see that side. Most everyone only looks out for themselves and what they need it is easy to lose the foresight to notice you're not the only one here. The path in which one tramples on others in pursuit of a goal is a lonely, restless path, fighting for the rest of your existence. And to what existence could you possibly look forward to? Constantly having to pick up a bigger stick? A never=ending vortex of violence spiraling out of control.

To the folks who believe that nothing will change so it is pointless to even try, to that I say you raise a valid if not at all uninteresting point. Nothing will change if we continue down our course and history proves that humans are not at all learning from our past mistakes. (Provided you believe the history the conqueror decides) That is not to say we are not at all capable of learning and controlling ourselves and perhaps living above our own selfish childish desires to further society, it is just laziness, rashness, and insecurity that prevents us from doing so.

Then again I'm preaching to a wall here, so I will end this rant short. I'm the ultimate believer in that you should believe whatever you want to believe. Have all the belief you want, just don't think everyone should agree with you or you're more right than anyone else. Do not limit yourself so that you are incapable of learning or accepting thoughts contrast of your own.

Senor Alto

Jan 23, 2011
I think the general consensus here is that, in context, violence can be the right answer. One of my favorite quotes is this:
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." ? Dalai Lama XIV

One of my closest friends is a doctor. He has devoted his life to helping people and healing them. That said, he sleeps with a Glock 9mil on his side of the bed and his wife has a .38 special on her side of the bed and his shotgun is in the closet and loaded. If anyone breaks into his house he will give them a warning before shooting, but someone is already in your house, there is no way for the police to get there in time to save your life. So in this situation violence is the answer. Most parents are quite willing to do anything to protect their kids, up to and including killing anyone who threatens their child. I don't think that violence is always or even usually the answer, but to refuse it in all circumstances is foolish.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
p3t3r said:
if violence isn't solving all your problems then you aren't using enough.
Furthermore, if violence isn't the answer, you're asking the wrong questions.