Poll: what do you think the best JRPG of the last 10 years was?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I say Golden Sun: The Lost Age for GBA and also guys, the OP said JRPG not RPG so games like Fallout and KOTOR don't count since they are clearly not Japanese and do not even have the same kind of style the JRPG has, just saying.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Wow, I'm surprised at how many great JRPGs have already been mentioned (Golden Sun, Tales of Symphonia, Dragon Quest, etc.), but I think the three that I've played the most were Kingdom Hearts, Persona 4, and for the sake of being different, Lost Odyssey

It's still my favorite JRPG on the 360, which is itself almost 6 years old. Plus the combat reminded me a lot of Shadow Hearts, which was itself a pretty damn good JRPG of this past decade.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Honestly... I didn't play many new JRPGs in the 2000s... and most of those I did didn't impress me. So I'd have to go with the re-release of Chrono Trigger, if it counts. If not... the best one I played was probably Xenosaga episode 1.

The Monkey King

Oct 26, 2010
I'm really bad at Jrpgs, never really got in to them.. But i would say Lost Odessy it's the only jrpg i really liked, That's a Jrpg right?

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
All of my favorite JRPGs from the 90's, but there are some RPGs from the 00's that I'm fond of. Disgaea, Final Fantasy XII, and The World Ends With You. Also, while I like the Persona games, I find them way too frustrating and hardly worthy of "best RPG" title for various reasons.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
SMT Persona 3 Fes hands down on the console (EDIT: and yes I've played Persona 4, I just didnt like the story as much, and P3/P3Fes had the gritty, more in it action and feel. When Shinji um... well... has what happens to him that really pisses me off since I have to take his spot, it seems to be more of a driving plot element then the murders of P4. Really, only what happens with Nanako and what happens with Saki felt like the had advanced the plot at all and gave you that connecting feeling).

On the Handheld? Hm.... I dont want to say pokemon and just be that way, and I did like Izuna: legend of the unemployed ninja. so I'll say that. Izuna: Legend of the unemployed Ninja.
Off Topic: So your avatar is Chihiro! I was wondering about it.
Anyway, I just didn't like P3 pulling the dragshoot for the first 1/3 of the game. It gets really good after that, though.

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
can't believe i forgot Shadow Hearts-Covenant! And the reason i chose the last ten years is because we all know what game names would get posted if i had said 'of all time'!

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I would consider "The World Ends With You" on the Nintendo DS to be my Game of the Decade.

Although, I'm not sure you'd think of it as a traditional JRPG.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
For me, a tie between the persona series and SMT: Nocturne. However since persona is getting such play here (and don't get me wrong, it deserves the praise), I'll go with nocturne. The branching storylines and endings, the demon bribery and fusion systems, along with with the absolute feeling throughout that "I have never seen anything like this, and I never will again". And for that feeling I think, it deserves JRPG of the decade.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
Winner: Dark Cloud 2
Runner up: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

(Haven't played any of the Persona games, oddly.)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hmm, I think I'll just list the best I've played by console/handheld.

PS2: tie between Persona 4 and Kingdom Hearts
Gamecube: Skies of Arcadia Legends
PS3: Valkyria Chronicles
GBA: Golden Sun 2
PSP: Valkyria Chronicles 2
DS: The World Ends With You

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
A tie between Golden Sun 1, 2, and 3, the Chrono Trigger remake, and Final Fantasy 13.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Final Fantasy 10 is about 10 years old... and the last JRPG I played that I actually liked. I think I'll go for that one. It did earn a special place in my heart for a while, and indeed traces of its influence can still be seen sometimes. :3

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Kingdom Hearts and Lost Odyssey on console. I haven't played many others outside of Final Fantasy XII, XIII, and Kingdom Hearts II. Oh, and Star Ocean TTEoT bored me to tears. As for handheld... probably Chrono Trigger DS to be honest, although Birth By Sleep is a very good game for playing in short bursts (for me anyway). I still have to borrow The World Ends With You off of someone.

I have yet to play Persona 4, but I'm planning on it. On a WRPG binge right now though with Mass Effect and the first two Fallouts.