Poll: what do you think the best JRPG of the last 10 years was?

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
FFX or maybe VIII. i think 7's overrated. though was VIII in the last 10 years? not sure.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
joe90 said:
2001-2010 was a turbulent time for gaming, seeing leaps and bounds in the way we interact with our games, but some genres have been left behind in the chaos. JRPGs are still going strong though, and i felt the shin megami tensei and dragon quest series are currently the best of the field, with persona 4 and dragon quest 9 eating away large chunks of free time. what do you, fellow escapist readers, think was the best?
The Last Remnant for PC and Final Fantasy XII have been my favourites.

My main problems with JRPGs is that after all that grinding you never get a New Game+ option, which makes replaying a real ***** after you spent all that time collecting the ultimate whatever, only to find that it's only available near the end of the game.
And by then you don't need it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The last JRPG on a home console that didn't suck was Final Fantasy IX, and that was more than 10 years ago (fall of 2000).

My favorite JRPG (if we're allowed to count tactics/strategy RPGs from Japan) of the past decade was Final Fantasy Tactics A2, for my money the best game on the DS. If not, I'm gonna have to cheat a little and say "Final Fantasy VI Advance." That's right---a remake of a now over 16 year old game is better---by leaps and bounds---than anything to come out of the genre since the PS2 launched.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Since "Legend of Mana" and "Chrono Cross" came out in 2000 and don't qualify...

I have no fucking clue. Maybe FF13. Maybe. That's the only JRPGs I've played twice, at least.

SimuLord said:
The last JRPG on a home console that didn't suck was Final Fantasy IX, and that was more than 10 years ago (fall of 2000).
You ever try Lost Odyssey?

Made by the man responsible for all FFs before 10, iirc?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Only home console from the last 10 years I have is the Gamecube, which wasn't exactly a well-spring of brilliant JRPGs. As such, The World Ends With You gets my vote.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I guess Final Fantasy XIII. I would say Chrono Cross, but it falls short of your specifications.

I'm not very big into JRPGs.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Since "Legend of Mana" and "Chrono Cross" came out in 2000 and don't qualify...

I have no fucking clue. Maybe FF13. Maybe. That's the only JRPGs I've played twice, at least.

SimuLord said:
You ever try Lost Odyssey?

Made by the man responsible for all FFs before 10, iirc?
Yeah, and 10.

I also assume this man never tried Dragon Quest VIII.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Valagetti said:
Fallout 3 must of been my favourite off the top my head.
Fallout 3 wasn't a JRPG. And if I want to get really nasty, I didn't see enough roleplaying in there for its own good.

So, favourite JRPG of the last ten years? Golden Sun, although if remakes count, it's Chrono Trigger.
While Fallout 3 wasn?t a JRPG, I feel it had more roleplaying than any jrpg I?ve played in a while. You?re character is a blank page.
My favorite (S)JRPG of the last 10 years is Valkyria Chronicles. It?s both beautiful and original. Until I played Fallout 3, it was my favorite ps3 game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Favorite: Suikoden 3

Best mechanics/gameplay: Tales of the Abyss (great story too! Very long central arc.)
Best overall style/presentation: Persona 4

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
kinda a mix up between golden sun and tales of symphonia soo i cant pick a system lol:)

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
suhlEap said:
FFX or maybe VIII. i think 7's overrated. though was VIII in the last 10 years? not sure.
I only put the 'last 10 years' thing in to stop the stream of FFVII fanboys (I love the game, but i just don't think it has aged as well as some people believe it has)

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Skies of Arcadia: Legends. I can't explain why I love that game, but I can put aside all my annoyances with usual JRPG issues and have a good time no matter how many times I play it.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Wow.

Number one I can't believe I'm all alone in my pick.

Number 2. I apparently needed to look for Persona 3 and 4.... (I've only played the first one and it WAS excellent, as well it taught me where Angels came from ((the greek goddess Nike)) and had a lot of other excellent mythology) so it was definitely educational.

Not having a PS2 though meant I got to miss any ATLUS game on exclusively that system. Bummer.

So my pick is Shenmue 2. In my opinion, real or purely fictional, any game that teaches the four Wude should be immortalized somehow. I can't do that, and it's unlikely that we'll ever even see one on the current systems, but I can make it my pick. Now someone PLEASE tell me that Yu Suzuki's masterpiece isn't a "JRPG" and more importantly please tell me why that matters.
At. All.

I would like to point out that my pick WOULD have been Fallout 3 yet it is a "WRPG??" apparently and not welcome in this discussion. That's too bad because at least for someone who has been playing various RPGs since I was a child, it is, I believe one of those games that history will label as groundbreaking, artistic, educational, and relevant.

Do the people here think that Japan invented the RPG or something? Not only is that a no, but they also in my opinion, do not make the best ones. I don't understand why there is a constant delineation necessary between J and W ??

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
mikev7.0 said:
Do the people here think that Japan invented the RPG or something? Not only is that a no, but they also in my opinion, do not make the best ones. I don't understand why there is a constant delineation necessary between J and W ??
Just put JRPG to narrow the field of answers a bit, as the tpic 'best rpg ever' seemed too broad.

(Also, being a fan of JRPGs, I was looking for recommendations...)

Shenmue could have been a good series, but it met an untimely end, along with the dreamcast.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
joe90 said:
mikev7.0 said:
Just put JRPG to narrow the field of answers a bit, as the tpic 'best rpg ever' seemed too broad.

(Also, being a fan of JRPGs, I was looking for recommendations...)

Shenmue could have been a good series, but it met an untimely end, along with the dreamcast.
Thanks for explaining why you wanted there to be a difference. Sorry you didn't take to Shenmue 2, and also thanks for not saying that Shenmue met an untimely end along with SEGA. (That one always stings little....)

For a different recommendation then I would give you Super Robot Taisen OG Saga by ATLUS, and Enchanted Arms which is great but seems (from the other gamers I've talked to who've played it) to have that same love/hate dichotomy that plagues the recent Final Fantasy's but you can pick it up for 10 dollars so to most it's worth a shot and at least that much. I, personally, would have paid full price for it.

Now to talk about a branch of RPGs that really DOES change the RPG mechanics a bit, if you're willing to try a Strategy RPG I would recommend Luminous Arc by ATLUS and Hoshigami Remix by AKSYS in that order.