Poll: Where are you from?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'm from England! I drink tea, moan about Europeans, grumble in an affectionate way about them Yanks, talk in a terribly posh accent, eat scones, 'bloody' is my favourite curse, I describe 'colours', 'rumours' and 'labour' with a side-serving of extra 'u's and I call biscuits 'biscuits'.

I own neither a top nor bowler hat. I don't have a monocle, I'm not aristocratic, my accent is not my actual accent but one I affect in order to conceal my gods-awful actual accent and I wish Scotland, Cornwall, Northern Ireland and Wales the very best of luck in their efforts to become separate, fully self-governing countries, if only because I share Scottish ancestry and love the place and would move there without even the slightest provocation if I had the cash.

NorthernStar

Oct 24, 2011
The Netherlands, Europe.

And no, I'm not wearing wooden shoes and have never done drugs. In Just putting it out there ;-)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Australia mate!

In reality I rarely say that.

*sigh* what a cliche this country has become...and yeeesh, their government sucks.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
I am English. The Europe option will just piss people off. Governments like europe. People do not.
I think that's more the EU as opposed to the continent itself though.

DanielBrown said:
Sweden. Stop bunching us togeather as "Europeans"!
It's not really practical to list out every country on the continent though.

OP: I'm from Ireland so I fit into European. Representin' the South, yeah!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Estonia! You know, the famous country that all others envy with our awesome god-emperor/president Ilves? No?

But yeah, in all seriousness, I don`t even mind selecting the "Europe" opinion in the poll. I mean, there`s no way in hell all the countries in the world could be put into that list. And even if it were possible, I´m pretty sure someone will just forget to add Estonia. But nonetheless, I like it here.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Rainforce said:
Matthew94 said:
Northern Ireland

The greatest country in the world.

Why? Potato bread, checkmate
Germany,
but I agree D:

also the poll is a bit...biased? imbalanced?
Gizmo1990 said:
I am English. The Europe option will just piss people off. Governments like europe. People do not.
well I'm fine with it, dunno about others o_O
I have a bigger problem with seperating china from asia. (and no other countries there)
I am cool with free trade and many of the economic benefits that Europe brings but I do not like it when the EU starts trying to enforce new laws in our country. For example the EU have been telling us we have to give people in prison the vote. My response mide your own bloody bussiness.

Just like to say this is not directed at you perosnaly.
The European Court of Human Rights, which is what you refer to in your example, has nothing to do with the European Union. Britain is a founding member of this court, and we should be proud to have been so. British judges sit in this court, so if you think the judgements it hands down are 'Europeans meddling in our affairs' you are very wrong. What the ECHR does is enforce a widely agreed (47 nations) definition of human rights, that were decided upon following the horrors of the Second World War.

I believe certain prisoners, such as those on relatively short sentences for relatively minor crimes, should have the vote. It is a symbolic gesture that these people have a role to play in wider society once they leave prison. After all, the primary goal of prison should be rehabilitation, not punishment. Besides which, I doubt that most priosners would vote anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/03/illiteracy-innumeracy-prisons

They're not exactly a smart bunch, prisoners.

EDIT: Also Northern Ireland is technically a province, but far be it for me to troll.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Gerishnakov said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Rainforce said:
Matthew94 said:
Northern Ireland

The greatest country in the world.

Why? Potato bread, checkmate
Germany,
but I agree D:

also the poll is a bit...biased? imbalanced?
Gizmo1990 said:
well I'm fine with it, dunno about others o_O
I have a bigger problem with seperating china from asia. (and no other countries there)
I am cool with free trade and many of the economic benefits that Europe brings but I do not like it when the EU starts trying to enforce new laws in our country. For example the EU have been telling us we have to give people in prison the vote. My response mide your own bloody bussiness.

Just like to say this is not directed at you perosnaly.
The European Court of Human Rights, which is what you refer to in your example, has nothing to do with the European Union. Britain is a founding member of this court, and we should be proud to have been so. British judges sit in this court, so if you think the judgements it hands down are 'Europeans meddling in our affairs' you are very wrong. What the ECHR does is enforce a widely agreed (47 nations) definition of human rights, that were decided upon following the horrors of the Second World War.

I believe certain prisoners, such as those on relatively short sentences for relatively minor crimes, should have the vote. It is a symbolic gesture that these people have a role to play in wider society once they leave prison. After all, the primary goal of prison should be rehabilitation, not punishment. Besides which, I doubt that most priosners would vote anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/03/illiteracy-innumeracy-prisons

They're not exactly a smart bunch, prisoners.

EDIT: Also Northern Ireland is technically a province, but far be it for me to troll.
Fair enough I can admit when I am wrong.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
I´m from Norway, and have lived in the capitol of Oslo for 18 years. Now, I´m currently living in Volda, where I study at Volda University.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Europe
Germany

in that order

I kinda hate how people hate being considered European. Europe is amazing, we couldn't be luckier to be European. Insular thinking belongs into the 19th century, not the 21st. British people are European - it's just a Channel, not the gates of hell, you [censored]s.

Also fun: 70 people in the poll voted European, most posts in here are from USAmericans. What.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Wales, UK, Europe.
or if you mean where have I lived the most, then it's equal between Wales, UK & England, UK.

We have leeks, sheep, welsh-cakes and mothertrucking BANANA BREAD BEER.

I'd also like to note that I've never tried Banana Bread Beer, or why anyone in my country decided it was time that "banana bread" needed to be beer.

If you're English, I'm going to insult you, your family, your country and everything in it... over a drink, on the house :D.
I mean, it's not your fault your rugby team is worse than ours, no matter how hard they try. >8)

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Stop moaning about New Zealand not being listed. If you hadn't noticed the poll is made up of continents, not individual countries, except for the random inclusions of China and the USA. If you're from New Zealand, answer Australia, as regardless of how much it hurts to say it, that's the name of the continent you belong to.

Similar point goes to the Europeans moaning about Europe. The continent is not defined by the EU. Britain belongs to the European continent, whether or not you support the European Union.

That said, I'm from England. I'm not too keen on many aspects of the country, but the countryside is pretty, I love free healthcare, and I hate it when other countries (especially Americans) say we don't know how to cook!

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
I'm "from" the US, born in Virginia, grew up in New York (no, not manhattan) and lived just about everywhere else at some point. Now I live in England and am looking forward to getting my pretty burgundy passport next year.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Nsw wollongong Australia

Can't wait to move to somewhere colder...
I also happen to live in one of the colder areas in australia

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Tacoma Washington (US) here and it's raining like no other >_>

Side Note: I love Potato bread.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
capper42 said:
Stop moaning about New Zealand not being listed. If you hadn't noticed the poll is made up of continents, not individual countries, except for the random inclusions of China and the USA. If you're from New Zealand, answer Australia, as regardless of how much it hurts to say it, that's the name of the continent you belong to.

Similar point goes to the Europeans moaning about Europe. The continent is not defined by the EU. Britain belongs to the European continent, whether or not you support the European Union.

That said, I'm from England. I'm not too keen on many aspects of the country, but the countryside is pretty, I love free healthcare, and I hate it when other countries (especially Americans) say we don't know how to cook!
technically new zealands an island so there not part of any continent,so the correct terminogly is Oceanic as that is what Im used to reffering it to as.
[sub]I just realised tasmainia isn't really part of the contient either hah suck it tasmainians(Just kidding)[/sub]

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Pat8u said:
Well I stand corrected on the technicalities. However the loose definition of a continent often includes islands, such as Britain belonging to Europe etc. I think when writing up the poll the TC would have intended New Zealanders to answer Australia.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Pat8u said:
capper42 said:

technically new zealands an island so there not part of any continent,so the correct terminogly is Oceanic as that is what Im used to reffering it to as.
[sub]I just realised tasmainia isn't really part of the contient either hah suck it tasmainians(Just kidding)[/sub]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

Tasmania is considered part of the Australian continent.

Anway im from the UK, so that would make me European which is fine by me.