Poll: Which is more comfortable? The Xbox 360 Controller or the PS3 Controller

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Everyone I know reckons the xbox controller, mainly the joystick positioning, feels more 'natural' to hold.
Apparently my friends were all born with their left hand's thumb twice as long as their right hand's one.
I prefer the PS3 controller.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Zipa said:
If you have big hands like I do (I can reach a full octave on the piano) then the Xbox controller by far, the PS3 ones are just too small to comfortably use the thumb sticks for any amount of time. The old Dualshockk PS2 era controllers were far better size wise.
It really is a pretty big function of hand size. The PS3 fits my hands well, because I have quite small hands and thin fingers, but the Xbox controller feels like a giant brick. I'm not sure I can reach all of the buttons comfortably without some funny hand contortions.

Going with this theory, I expect Xbox will win because most people here are probably male and men tend to have bigger hands than women, so the Xbox controller will appeal more. I'll put an imaginary dollar on that one.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Either controller works for me as been playing long enough on both that it doesn't really matter. I do prefer the PS3 controller, as I find it more comfortable. Though, if they brought back the 'Duke' Controller from the Original Xbox, I would pick that up in a heartbeat.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Face buttons: 360
D-Pad: PS3 by a large margin
Shoulder buttons: 360
Analog sticks: 360
Controller shape: dependent on hand size (for me 360)
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the 360 controller. I love it for the good ergonomics, how it feels in your hand, and how the analogue triggers don't slip out of your fingers every 5 seconds and causes massive pain.

BUT, the dpad is a complete joke at times. I guess it's good if you want to do circular 8-way motions, but for something as simple as just left or down it has failed me too many times. It almost doesn't matter which part of the d-pad you're pressing , but in what direction you then push that part. Even with the new and improved controllers where you can flip the d-pad for circular or plus-shaped, it's still possible to press the "down"-button and it will register as left, simply because your thumb went a little bit to the left while doing it. And that seriously fucks up when you for instance want to change weapons or use items in the middle of some hectic action and you suddenly do something completely different than intended.

If they ever do an improved version for the next Xbox, I hope they fix it in some magical way or angle the d-pad 30 degrees clock-wise so that it actually matches up with how your thumb moves.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Much of a muchness.

On one hand the 360 pad works flawlessly with a PC, is an almost perfect size and has superior triggers to the PS3 controller.

On the other the PS3 controller doesn't come in 'wired or wireless' versions, you can just plug in a wire to the default 'wireless' version to make it wired, this makes it run off the PS3s power and charges it while you play.

About the only thing I don't like about either of the controllers is the L2 and R2 triggers on the PS3... they just feel terrible.

Toshiooh

Mar 17, 2011
PS3 controller for me. The Xbox 360 controller feels great for fps games but I play other games too. So playstation wins by having a dpad and feeling "good" for most genres. Also find it easier to press the triangle square, etc than the y x b buttons... but that's just me.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
PlayStation 3 controller. Part of it due to familiarity (since it has remained basically unchanged since the original PlayStation), but also because I found it more comfortable than the X-Box 360 one. Plus the analog stick placement on the X-Box always threw me off and the PS3's D-pad is much better.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of controllers, but between the two... definitely the X-Box 360. I might be biased as I own an X-Box (though I haven't used it in close to four years; it red-ringed and I never bothered to get it fixed), but while I was at university two of my roommates had PS3s and I got to spend a lot of time playing that system as well.

I found that the PS3 controller had the same issue that the PS2 controller, and before that the PS1 controller, had with me - after an hour or so it gives my hands really bad cramps. I don't know if it's the shape or the button layout or what... but Sony's controllers have always been extremely uncomfortable in my hands. The X-Box controller has never had that problem with me (although the original controller for the first X-Box, the freaking huge one, was admittedly pretty uncomfortable for me as well).

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I've always found the positioning of the analog sticks on the PS3 controller to be quite uncomfortable at times. I also don't like the L2/R2 buttons at all.
However, the PS3 obviously has the better d-pad.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
I prefer Xbox Controllers. Feels better in my hands. I have never noticed the d-pad issues either but I really cant think of a single game I use them for anything other than turning on NV or switching guns.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
360, it just feels better to have actual trigers when playing an FPS then trying to use buttons. Also I like the positioning of the left thumb stick much more with it being closer to the outside of the controller.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Prefer the 360 controller. I gotta have rubber covers on the sticks to be able to use them. Had triggers on the L2/R2 buttons before as well, which helped a damn lot, but the damn thing broke when my cat threw the controller on the floor.

PS3 wins in everything else though.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Merobots said:
I do not mean to spark any form of skirmish between Xbox fans and PS3 Fans. As far as I'm concerning, I like both. Both have good games except I, personally (Not speaking on behalf of the internet), find the PS3 Controller uncomfortable.

Why not share your thoughts?
I think the playstation controllers are too small and that the analogue sticks should not be on the same plane.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I grew up with Playstation controllers and because I'm a biased asshole who refuses to acknowledge other people may be right I prefer the PS3 controller.