Poll: Which would you choose to save?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Honestly? I'd scream "Run for your lives!" and hit both buttons. But if my choice was constrained, I'd save the 10 people closest to me. And then I'd track the shit who made me choose down and defenestrate his sorry ass. Preferably off the Empire State Building or the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago.

This reminds me of one of those Twilight Zone/Tales of the Darkside stories where there is a couple who are down on their luck and need money badly. A stranger shows up at their door and offers them a choice. Press a button on the device and kill two people they don't know and be paid 1 million dollars, or not press it and stay as they are. He allows them to keep the machine (for up to a month, I think) before making the decision. They discuss it, and agonize over it, and eventually, the wife presses the button.

Very soon afterwards, the man comes back and tells them to enjoy the money, and as he leaves with the machine, he tells them. "Time to find someone else. And I'll make sure they don't know you at all."

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I´d choose the 10 people closest to me. Selfish, but i honestly wouldnt be able to do anything that could harm them. And i know for a fact that these people are good people. The 100 people could be a bunch of scumbags for all i know. It´s a no-brainer for me.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
If I absolutely must choose of the two, I'd go with the 10 people I know every time.

That said, in any quasi-realistic scenario where I'm in that situation, I would spend the first 4:55 seconds in an attempt to break down the door and then break open both windows. And unless they reinforced the door with something ridiculous, then I'm getting out. I have both the physical size and strength to force open just about any standard door, even if they're locked.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
IMO it's kind of a gamble, I keep hearing about assholes, what if the 100 was comprised of those assholes? I'm going with what I know.

Mathwyn

Jan 15, 2010
The 100. Those 100 have people who love them I'm sure and I know that most of my 10 closest would be Christians and I couldn't guarantee that for the 100.

I find it interesting (and slightly sad I admit) that most people chose the 10.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I cant say it would easily be the 100 complete strangers, but I know I would have to pick the 100 strangers either way. Sure its easy to say that the 10 people closer to me are more important to my life than 100 strangers, but then what about those 100 strangers? How many brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters...how many of them would have to suffer because of my selfish decision to keep those I love and cherish alive? How many of them would have to live without their cherished ones around while I still had mine?

Then there's the fact that I know many of the 10 people I am closest to would never forgive me for choosin them over 100 others. The blood of 100 people would be on not only my hands, but their hands as well. The 100 random strangers I may never see again and all they'll know is that someone saved their lives, the 10 people closest to me will always know that I killed 100 people...I choose to end the lives of 100 friends, family, loved ones all for my own selfish desires.

It'd be painful and I'd have to metaphorically rip my heart out to do it, but really...the only option for me would be the strangers.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
10 people closest to me.

I don't know you, you've never done anything for me, I probably might not even like you as a person.

If it comes to it, I'll see you in hell, 100 strangers.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
No North American gives a shit about 100 random people they've never met. Louis C.K. put it best.

?I drive an Infiniti. That?s really evil. There are people who just starve to death ? that?s all they ever did. There?s people who are like, born and they go ?Uh, I?m hungry? then they just die, and that?s all they ever got to do. Meanwhile I?m driving in my car [kicking back music blaring] having a great time, and I sleep like a baby.

It?s totally my fault, ?cause I could trade my Infiniti for a [less luxurious] car? and I?d get back like $20,000. And I could save hundreds of people from dying of starvation with that money. And everyday I don?t do it. Everyday I make them die with my car.?

We all live these ridiculously indulgent lives compared to the majority of human beings, we use WAY MORE resources then we could ever need while other people die every second of every day. But we can all shrug it off and go about our business because who cares about them right? I know at the end of the day I'd rather buy a new game then feed a straving kid I don't know. That way sound true but we are ALL guilty of it. Hurra for consumerism! I'm going to go get drunk now to avoid the soul crushing depression that is this reality.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
the fact your asking me to kill the love of my life and then your asking me to kill 100 people who have lives and family's of their own. I really don't know.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Refuse to push any of the buttons. I'm not playing someone's little fucked up psychological game.

If the option is available, I'd then hunt down the bastard who came up with it and slowly torture them to death. Yes, I'm hardly a role model, but goddammit I'm nobody's slave.

TheJulz

Dec 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure that after saving 100 people, I would have 100 new close friends.
That's an extra 90 friends right there.

Chronarch

Oct 31, 2009
There could be so many innocent people with families among the 100 people and the people closest to me would likely feel bad if I picked them over the other hundred people. The lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few so I'd have to save the 100 people.

Keela

Aug 16, 2008
I'd save the 100... probably. Losing my mom and dad would be a horrible, horrible price to pay, but I could survive. Maybe. I would probably tell all the strangers what I did, but not give them my name, if that's possible. Just move far away from my family and find a new group of people and try to forget about my choice. I could probably never face the rest of my family again after that.

EDIT: I'm used to moving on from friends, I've moved around a lot and can't even remember who I was friends with a couple years ago. I'm good at moving on, which makes this decision a bit easier for me.

Jan 29, 2009
When it comes down to it, I'd probably go for the people that are closest.
That doesn't mean I wont try every other option before having to choose between lives.